The Spirit Gate Inn: A home for displaced mythical

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midian

Original poster
Currently I am going to close this to people who have not already expressed interest in the thread. If there is an opening, this message will self-destruct disappear.

Here is the IC thread.

Story: A small group of humans and monsters band together to keep the inn running and try to re-establish the power of Guests (monsters/spirits).

Setting: A magical realism world that's a modern alternate version of Japan. Pretty heavy Japanese mythological influences, but the inn and to a lesser degree the world can have other influences. There are special "doors" in the real world that let the inn guests come and go, but humans have to get special permission or accidentally use one the same time as a Guest. Doors can be windows, doors, ponds, trash cans, and your mom things like crawling under the right desk.

Premise: Parallel to the human world, there's a spirit world with a giant fucking inn that houses all manner of mythical creatures, spirits, and whatnot. Why? Humans and large-scale industrialization have squeezed the mythical folk out of their homes. With cell phones and street cameras, they can no longer hide and can't risk being seen or recorded.

Now, with the inn getting crowded, they have to figure out how to get people to believe in them and their power again without getting "caught" and forced to integrate with humans (in other words, their power lies in being known, but untouchable and unfindable). So a human or two seeing them is fine, but fifteen seeing them and them being recorded is not.

How do they get around unseen right now? Human suits (note: usually not made from real humans).

Rules: 1. I only need 4 humans. If you play a human, you can also play a monster at full or part-time. You can have no more than 2 characters to start with, but you might be able to add more later.
2. No godmodding, Mary-Sueing, or making things terribly convenient. Life is inconvenient for everyone, even spirits.
3. If you're not posting with the flow of traffic, you'll get one or two warnings and then your characters get dropped. PM me if you've got some major meltdown happening and we'll make arrangements.
4. If you're being a jerk to me or anyone else, or disobeying site rules, you get booted. Keep the adult bits within your age group and in the appropriate places.
5. Please avoid generic or oft-used creatures, or half-human hybrids. So no vampires, fairies, general ghosts, werewolves, etc. I am looking for creatures like yurei, wendigos, tengu, thunder birds, cecaelia, etc. Please no sexy catgirls, etc.
6. Posts should be a solid two or more paragraphs barring special circumstances.

Once I get a good number of posts, I'll start accepting people and get the IC thread up. You'll see the link here when it's ready.

Characters so far:

Mayumi the human

Eira the yuki-onna

Yamasato the tengu

Slyphie the mermaid

Chirra the swiftcat

Chrysa the forest nymph

Hana the human

Miriya the bakeneko

Tibbs the tanuki

Tamashi the onibi

Inushiro the inu yokai

For humans:[/SIZE]

[Picture]
Name:
DOB:
Physical Description (if no image):

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

For Guests/spirits/monsters:

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature:
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

mukaitaki-ryokan-traditional-japanese-inn-wood-construction-building-AH4F26.jpg
e3p1094779.jpg

cirrina_by_elluminous-d8zpkea.jpg
latest
3131766802_1f7a558602_z.jpg

2830188664_7c78323bcc_b.jpg
522683883.jpg

4b2427b380edb830ebf302e3bcd5fa30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wingless_Angel
Sure was 8D
there's references to the other two books in the trilogy too if you happen to catch them ;)

I'm still waiting, since the internet out here is bad, and my PC can't connect to it, so I can wait.

Reactions: Midian
I'm still waiting, since the internet out here is bad, and my PC can't connect to it, so I can wait.
Alright, I'll finish up my character then. May I ask the name of the character mine will be helping?

• Name: Tamashi Halifax aka Hal
    Type of creature: Onibi/Hitodama
    Preferred food: bacon, but he'll eat anything really
    Other habits/traits: his "flame" colors tend to flicker according to mood and he pulls faced behind people's backs

Hobbies: Cooking, puzzles, listening to music
    Personality: Snarky, grumpy, soft hearted, cynical
    Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
    likes: food, fire, trying new recipes, quizzing people, being included​
    Dislikes: Rain, overly cheery people, being ignored​
    Fears: passing on​

History: A student of a culinary master who passed on before his time, Hal is kept rooted to this world by something he refuses to confide to anyone. He attached himself to the Inn where he cooks for the clientele and staff alike.

• latest

• 2707879_1337119144196.1res_423_317.jpg

• Human occupation (if they have one): Caterer
    Brief bio on human disguise: He doesn't like to leave the Inn much but when he does he goes in style. Catering lets him attend all the big fancy events.

• Love

• Name: Tamashi Halifax aka Hal
    Type of creature: Onibi/Hitodama
    Preferred food: bacon, but he'll eat anything really
    Other habits/traits: his "flame" colors tend to flicker according to mood and he pulls faced behind people's backs

Hobbies: Cooking, puzzles, listening to music
    Personality: Snarky, grumpy, soft hearted, cynical
    Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
    likes: food, fire, trying new recipes, quizzing people, being included
    Dislikes: Rain, overly cheery people, being ignored
    Fears: passing on

History: A student of a culinary master who passed on before his time, Hal is kept rooted to this world by something he refuses to confide to anyone. He attached himself to the Inn where he cooks for the clientele and staff alike.

• latest

• 2707879_1337119144196.1res_423_317.jpg

• Human occupation (if they have one): Caterer
    Brief bio on human disguise: He doesn't like to leave the Inn much but when he does he goes in style. Catering lets him attend all the big fancy events.
Calciferrrrrrrrrrrr

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
I had to.
It was too perfect not to.
8D

Also! I'm still here. Been a little bit crazy at work which is why I'm kinda late on posting, but will do so asap! :)

• Thank You
Things have been a bit busy but I'll hopefully have a post up tomorrow.

I'm coming home today. I'll post with Shigure today.

Also @Wingless_Angel is your other character finished, maybe we could do a collab with your character and Sylphie?

• Name:
    Inushiro Shinrin
    Goes by Shiro

Type of creature:
    Inu yōkai

Preferred food:
    He prefers mostly meats, raw or cooked, either is fine with him. He also has a surprising sweet tooth.

Other habits/traits:
    Has a dislike of cats. Even in human form, when he is wet, he still shakes as if he had fur.

Hobbies:
    ~ Reading in his spare time
    ~ Mixing tea blends
    ~ Grows his own herb garden

Personality:
    Inushiro or Shiro is a rather mysterious, if kind individual. He doesn't offer much about himself in conversation and always changes the subject should someone try and delve too deeply into his past. He can always be seen with a warm smile, even when angered. In fact, he smiles more so when he angry than not. Though it can be rather difficult to get him to a point where he is angry. Shiro tends to let worries and insults roll over him and keep a cheerful attitude through the barrage. But, anger him enough, and Shiro tends to lose his temper. Coming from a proud family, Shiro can be quite proud as well, though he doesn't care to admit it.

Character Flaws:
    Proud at times, Can have a temper once angered, Doesn't like asking for help even if he needs it.

~ The serenity of nature
    ~ Animals (except cats)
    ~ Seeing his teas making people happy

Dislikes:
    ~ Cats
    ~ Condescending people
    ~ People who put others down to make themselves feel better
    ~ People being rude

Fears:
    ~ His home being taken from him
    ~ Those he cares about being hurt
    ~ The humans finding out his secret

History:
    Inushiro was born to a rather haughty dog demon mother and father. They thought humans were below them but Inushiro did not share these ideals. Humans fascinated him, they way they thrived even in hardship and even if the world seemed out to get them. When Inushiro came of age, he left his home roots in the forests and traveled the world, seeing all the sights and learning many things about the humans. After his fill of travels, Inushiro desired to settle down somewhere and came across Japan. Using his vast knowledge, he set up a shop and has lived happily ever since.
  • ac38fee5dea8c2a74eea10abf5ac88ac.jpg

Inushiro's true form stands at roughly seven feet tall though he has the ability to shrink or grow in this form, he just prefers seven feet. He is still able to speak normally in this form and is able to run faster in this form than his human one.
  • tumblr_mp7tfjIePA1sw3w6jo1_500.jpg

Shiro's human form stands at around 6 feet tall.
  • Human occupation:
    Runs an Apothecary/Tea shop

Brief bio on human disguise:
    Claims he has traveled the world(And he has) looking into different cultures teas and how they are used for curative methods. Finally settled down in Japan where he became well-known for his teas that help with ailments. He has a frequent customer that comes to him for tea for her arthritis and aching joints.

I'm writing up a post for Shigure now

Edit: It might not be done til early tomorrow morning.

@Sasha Bliwas it's okay for this post, but for the next ones make sure you're doing the equivalent of two pretty decently sized paragraphs, so a little longer than what you've got now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.