The Spirit Gate Inn: A home for displaced mythical

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midian

Original poster
Currently I am going to close this to people who have not already expressed interest in the thread. If there is an opening, this message will self-destruct disappear.

Here is the IC thread.

Story: A small group of humans and monsters band together to keep the inn running and try to re-establish the power of Guests (monsters/spirits).

Setting: A magical realism world that's a modern alternate version of Japan. Pretty heavy Japanese mythological influences, but the inn and to a lesser degree the world can have other influences. There are special "doors" in the real world that let the inn guests come and go, but humans have to get special permission or accidentally use one the same time as a Guest. Doors can be windows, doors, ponds, trash cans, and your mom things like crawling under the right desk.

Premise: Parallel to the human world, there's a spirit world with a giant fucking inn that houses all manner of mythical creatures, spirits, and whatnot. Why? Humans and large-scale industrialization have squeezed the mythical folk out of their homes. With cell phones and street cameras, they can no longer hide and can't risk being seen or recorded.

Now, with the inn getting crowded, they have to figure out how to get people to believe in them and their power again without getting "caught" and forced to integrate with humans (in other words, their power lies in being known, but untouchable and unfindable). So a human or two seeing them is fine, but fifteen seeing them and them being recorded is not.

How do they get around unseen right now? Human suits (note: usually not made from real humans).

Rules: 1. I only need 4 humans. If you play a human, you can also play a monster at full or part-time. You can have no more than 2 characters to start with, but you might be able to add more later.
2. No godmodding, Mary-Sueing, or making things terribly convenient. Life is inconvenient for everyone, even spirits.
3. If you're not posting with the flow of traffic, you'll get one or two warnings and then your characters get dropped. PM me if you've got some major meltdown happening and we'll make arrangements.
4. If you're being a jerk to me or anyone else, or disobeying site rules, you get booted. Keep the adult bits within your age group and in the appropriate places.
5. Please avoid generic or oft-used creatures, or half-human hybrids. So no vampires, fairies, general ghosts, werewolves, etc. I am looking for creatures like yurei, wendigos, tengu, thunder birds, cecaelia, etc. Please no sexy catgirls, etc.
6. Posts should be a solid two or more paragraphs barring special circumstances.

Once I get a good number of posts, I'll start accepting people and get the IC thread up. You'll see the link here when it's ready.

Characters so far:

Mayumi the human

Eira the yuki-onna

Yamasato the tengu

Slyphie the mermaid

Chirra the swiftcat

Chrysa the forest nymph

Hana the human

Miriya the bakeneko

Tibbs the tanuki

Tamashi the onibi

Inushiro the inu yokai

For humans:[/SIZE]

[Picture]
Name:
DOB:
Physical Description (if no image):

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

For Guests/spirits/monsters:

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature:
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

mukaitaki-ryokan-traditional-japanese-inn-wood-construction-building-AH4F26.jpg
e3p1094779.jpg

cirrina_by_elluminous-d8zpkea.jpg
latest
3131766802_1f7a558602_z.jpg

2830188664_7c78323bcc_b.jpg
522683883.jpg

4b2427b380edb830ebf302e3bcd5fa30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wingless_Angel - I hate to ask you to change more after you just did, but would you mind left justifying your post? My eyes keeps paragraph jumping and it's making it heard to read :(
Pretty please?

*offers big puppy-dog eyes and a bowel of ice-cream*
Is that better?

much!
thanks a bunch! ^_^

@Wingless_Angel
Did you have specific plans for the cat, Salem, as a character? or is it an NPC feline that we can borrow a little bit?
I have an idea >:)

Awesome! >:)
I have a shape changing tanuki that needs an entrance
assuming you're okay with that

Awesome! >:)
I have a shape changing tanuki that needs an entrance
assuming you're okay with that
Perfectly okay with that ^^

Hana would have probably found Salem on the streets and taken him in.

• Useful
Reactions: Falcon
For when I'm able to post, would anyone be willing to help me by helping sylphie get to the inn since she is unable to walk she still might need some help, and I hope no one minds if shigure just kinda appears out of no where.

Reactions: Midian
if it helps, your characters can start at the end as existing residents ^_^

@Sasha Bliss - Falcon is right, they can already be residents there; they don't have to manually get there unless they're human :)

Also, everyone: We've lost Sakura the lich and Rebecca the ghost, so if you have any approved characters in your back pocket you'd like to throw into play, I'll give preference to those before accepting a new player. Just let me know as soon as possible :)

@Sasha Bliss - Falcon is right, they can already be residents there; they don't have to manually get there unless they're human :)

Also, everyone: We've lost Sakura the lich and Rebecca the ghost, so if you have any approved characters in your back pocket you'd like to throw into play, I'll give preference to those before accepting a new player. Just let me know as soon as possible :)
I have an Inu Yokai I can make?

Well, at least Chirra being ignored now doesn't keep me from moving on. Will have to see where he can wander next!

Oh, by the way, will Mayumi still be in that bedroom Sakura put her in? I was originally planning to have Chirra respond to her passing out, so I need to know where you intend to put her. Thanks...

@Roose Hurro
I'm working on a post now that should draw several more characters into the kitchen and give your character a reason to have been ignored as well as something new to respond to. (with Midian's permission)
If you can sit tight for an hour or so all should be explained/back in working order ^_^

@- Falcon - ...

Thanks! Almost time to get ready/leave for work, so I'll have to see what's what tonight.

I plan on them returning from the human world

@Sasha Bliss If you need someone helping them on the outside, maybe a Guest or two could retrieve them.

Any volunteers?

@Roose Hurro
I'm working on a post now that should draw several more characters into the kitchen and give your character a reason to have been ignored as well as something new to respond to. (with Midian's permission)
If you can sit tight for an hour or so all should be explained/back in working order ^_^
"That or a scarecrow with a turnip for it's head."

Is that a reference to Howl's Moving Castle by any chance?

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
@Sasha Bliss - Are you still wanting to defer posting until after the 30th, or did you want to go ahead? If you want to defer, I think it'd be fine for @Wingless_Angel to finish her inu yokai, but if you're wnting to go ahead now, I'd suggest a character or two already in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.