The Saviors

K

Kitten_

Original poster
The four kingdoms watched as the sky darkened, a brilliant light sparking in the sky from the center of their world. Immediately, troops were sent to investigate... none of them returned. The Kingdom of Siun was the first to fall. Then the Kingdom of Dreaki. Now, the last two kingdoms must stand to fight this unknown threat to their existence..

Avira bowed low to the ground in front of the royal family. "Your Majesty.." she addressed the king. "I am honored to be chosen to defend our beloved kingdom." She straightened, her armor clicking slightly as the metal plates bumped each other. The way the metal, leather, and mesh were woven together created a thinner, more flexible material.. though at the expense of sturdiness. Her eyes flickered over the King and Queen and their daughter. "I will avenge the deaths of our friends in Dreaki."
Everyone bowed their heads in a moment of silence before the king nodded.
"Go." He commanded.

It was the next morning when Avira Merzone departed from her home on her trusty horse, Dusk. The young stallion was a dark grey color, almost black, with white speckles. She had several packs, but Avira had only packed essentials. She knew not what dangers she faced, but she was prepared. Her bow was strapped to her back, her quiver on her hip. On her other hip, her leather belt was lined with poison-tipped daggers, sheathed tightly. She wasn't taking chances. She took off into the woods that surrounded her Kingdom, the Kingdom of Livrai.

Karma knelt before the king of his kingdom, the kingdom of Delain.
"You need not kneel before me captain, we have been through much together... What is it you wished to speak to me for?"
Karma stood and looked over the kingdom from a large window.
"We have seen many battles together cousin, and I would never question you... But I grow tired of training and sitting idly with my students. I wish to venture forth and avenge our neighbors."
They both have a moment of silence for their comrades in Siun, and the king holds Karma's shoulder.
"If you feel this, I will not tell you to stay. The words are like poison on my lips, but we cannot avenge them alone... The kingdom of Livrai is sending forth their own champion to combat this threat, and there is a rendezvous point in the forest connecting our kingdoms. I was hoping to send someone else, but if you must, I shall inform some of our men that they shall accompany you... You don't want them?... Very well, then god-speed to you cousin, don't let the hero of a kingdom of assassins bring you back in pieces."

Karma looks up at the sky, his green eyes shimmering with excitement and relief. All of his armor was kept on his horse, which he had come to call Vengeance. She has a black pelt with spots of white, as well as a black mane and deep brown eyes. His short black hair is ruffled by a gust of wind, filling him with a sense of freedom. His clothes were simple for a male, though his feet were bare except for a piece of leather stuck to the bottom of his feet. Luckily Karma managed to leave the kingdom before his cousin the king could set up a farewell party. He walked with his horse to the edge of the forest before unloading his belongings before holding his horse's gaze.
"The cramped spaces of these woods are no place for a magnificent war-horse like yourself. Go home, and keep those students in line for me will you?"
Vengeance snorts and nudges Karma.
"Add'a girl..."
As Vengeance leaves, Karma dons his armor and weapons before turning and walking into the forest.

• Love
Reactions: Kitten_
Avira led her horse carefully through the woods. She knew that the stallion didn't like the close quarters of the trees, but there was a huge expanse of desolate rock between the small patch of forest and the large forest, and she knew Dusk would love it, plus, that horse never let her leave the kingdom without him.
"We'll be out soon." She whispered softly.

As Karma trudged through the forest, he again noted that the path he was on would be perfect for making a path, but the kingdom of Livrai might also benefit from such a path, so the idea was overruled. After all, Livrai is where criminals and lawbreakers run to, as well as being a complete den of evil... Or so the rumors floating around Delain go. Karma did not bend so low as to believe folklore and tall tales about rival kingdoms, but he could not deny that most of them prefer the use of poisons and magic rather than rely on honest steel, giving them a reputation as thieves and assassins. He scoffs as his foot catches on a root, and grunts as he breaks the root, creating a large audible snap.

Avira heard the faintest of a snap and glanced around. She knew it was from a distance, but she still disliked the idea of someone else being around... had the Kingdom of Delain send a warrior as well? She had heard rumors of the possibility, but she was unsure of their truth. She nudged Dusk as the trees started to thin and the horse continued on. Avira wondered if they were true... and if they were, should she be wary, or friendly? She sighed.

Karma continues on and arrives at a large clearing. He looks around a bit before looking at a map he had been given. The rendezvous point was still a mile or two away, but he could certainly use a break. As Karma kneels down in the knee high grass, he looks around and realizes after few minutes that this was contested territory between Livrai and Delain, because of the fact that it would make a good base in the middle of the forest. Honestly, he could care less, since both kingdoms were equal in power despite their different tactics. Karma takes out his sword and hacks away at the grass until there is a space large enough to avoid his campfire starting a wildfire.

Knowing they would enter the clearing soon, Avira gently climbed off her horse after nudging it to a stop. She took Dusk's reigns and led the horse to the edge of the trees while whispering to the large animal. "Almost there buddy... I know it's hard, but once we get past the forest there's that huge expanse.." they reached the edge and she stopped, looking around cautiously. She spotted someone on the far side and didn't move, unsure if they were a threat. "Stay." She whispered and Dusk took a silent step back to wait.

((Sorry, I was out camping for a couple of days.))
Karma sighs once the fire starts, knowing that it would be a few hours before the flames turned the wood to hot coals he could cook with. He stands up, pulling out a small magical device and throwing it out in front of him, smiling as it stops and two lights like eyes appear. A friend of his from the kingdom of Siun had given him the device to help him practice on his off time. He drew his sword and hefted his shield before saying ready to the floating device. The eyes flash red and he raises his shield a few seconds before a dart flies out and shatters against his shield. This happens a few times before the light flashes green and Karma strikes it with his sword. It skips off as the device tilts, regaining it's balance afterwards. The device increases in speed and movement before it finally hits him with a dart on his arm, shattering against him but letting out a small screetch. The device calls to him, telling him that this is the best he's done yet. Karma looks up and sees that the sun hasn't moved, eliciting a long sigh. He raises his sword and shield before trying again, repeating the process.

• Love
Reactions: Kitten_
Avira leaned silently against a tree as she waited, unsure of the danger level of the stranger... the figure pulls out a strange device and seemed to fight it, which drew her curiosity, but she was still wary. Clicking her tongue, she called Dusk to her side and took the horse's reigns as she began to enter the clearing, slow. Each movement was deliberate, defensive, but not threatening. Her horse lowered its head, snorting slightly.

After a time, Karma begins to feel the telltale signs of being watched. He shrugs it off at first, probably just a passing traveler observing his skills. As the minutes drag on, however, his hairs begin to tingle and his heartbeat quickens. Karma takes off his helmet to get a better view of his surroundings, revealing his face to the world yet again. He doesn't see anything un-ordinary, so he pulls out his spare iron sword and sticks it in the ground, putting his helmet on the up-facing handle afterwards. He then pulls out a whetstone and proceeds to sharpen his main blade, which he has come to call Luckbringer... Not a very creative name, admittedly, but no-one could say that Karma was not a superstitious man after how many close impossible situations he's had with Luckbringer in hand. Karma closes his eyes and listens to the world around him, letting the whetstone sliding across his runed blade create a rhythm, in which all other sounds fall into. After this point, if anything moved or any twig snapped in the clearing surrounding him, he'd hear it... Probably.

Avira hesitated as the man pulled out a sword. She stopped, waiting to see what he would do..
It wasn't until he began sharpening the blade that she moved again. She was fully into the clearing now. When she was almost to the center she stopped.
"Hello?"
Her voice was calm, serious.
"Who are you?"

As Avira moved, Karma realized that he most likely had been being watched. Karma opened his eyes and looked at her and her, HORSE?! How had he not noticed a horse?!
My eyesight must be getting worse... that, or it's a very quiet creature...
Karma inclined his head at her greeting, his green eyes hard like emeralds as they locked onto her. When she asked him who she was, he scoffed.
"I should be asking you the same; shouldn't you be home where it's safe, tending your gardens and loving your husband? Anyways, I shan't be rude and ignore your question. I am Captain Karmann, Captain of the King's guard and cousin to King Bael of the kingdom of Delain, and I am on a quest to rid the world of the threat that has destroyed our allies in the kingdom of Siun, with or without the help of Livrai."
Karma stands and looks for anyone else before looking at her, finally noticing her armor.
"And what of you stranger, are you a traveler or hunter of sorts?"
Karma leaves the question hanging as he grabs his other sword, putting his helmet back on in the process, and poking at the fire with it, adjusting the wood and coals within to make them burn faster.

"I am Avira Merzone, chosen warrior to defend the Kingdom of Livrai from the darkness that has descended on our world. There were rumors that your kingdom may send forth a warrior, but I was unsure of the truth they held." She bowed her head respectfully. "This is Dusk." She motioned to her horse, which hoofed the ground a little in greeting. Her bright blue eyes were almost too calm for the situation as she glanced around before returning her gaze to him, red hair pulled back into a tight pony tail. She wasn't wearing her helmet.

Karma stopped poking at the fire and stared at her as she spoke. After she finished, Karma looks at her for a bit before bursting with laughter. He laughs for a few seconds before calming down and looking back at her calm blue eyes.
"Wait, you're serious? But you're a WOMAN! Surely you jest... Or are the men of Livrai too afraid to come forth, sending their wives instead?"
His voice is serious, exuding a lack of belief towards you being chosen.

Avira's eyes narrowed as she drew her bow. She spun around and fired, easily letting the arrow fly across the clearing and through several tree branches before pinning a falling leaf to the tree. "A woman can fight as well as a man, if determined enough." She slowly lowered her bow and looked to him as Dusk nudged her shoulder. "I spent years training to be the best in my Kingdom." She let out a soft breath, letting her temper fall with it. She was completely serious, her expression almost daring him to question her further.

Karma raised his shield as Avira drew her bow, ready to deflect an arrow. When she turned around and shot, Karma relaxed, and raised his eyebrows as she hit the falling leaf from nearly a meter away. Karma raises his hands in mock surrender as Avira stares daggers at him.
"Alright, I can tell I'm in no position to argue. Just stay out of my way, and we won't have a problem."
Karma sits back down and pokes at the fire a bit more before seeming satisfied, pulling a metal plate out of his bag and sticking it on top of the red hot coals before slapping a large slab of meat down onto it. He begins to apply a few seasonings before looking up at Avira.
"Well what are you waiting for, an invitation? Sit down, you're making me nervous."

Avira relaxed as he gave in. She reached back, gently petting Dusk, who only nuzzled her hand slightly before going to graze on some of the grass. Avira was scanning the tree line closely when Karma spoke. She hesitated a moment, but slowly sat. She placed her bow at her side on the ground, leaving her quiver on her back. She didn't say anything, staring at the fire a moment before looking up at the sky. She wondered if her parents were watching down on her... she hoped so. She knew she would need their guidance.

Karma began sharpening his sword again before looking up at Avira. Her slim figure and tight clothing would entice most men, but Karma's gaze was caught by her upturned eyes. Karma began to look up at the sky as she is, but shakes out of his trance and grabs the metal plate with a set of tongs and checks the meat before flipping it over and sticking it back into the now low flames.
"Unless you're keeping watch tonight, you might want to set up tent..."
Karma smirks as he speaks the next line.
"Unless the rumors about you people are true, in which case you should start looking for a tree to sleep in."

Avira looked over to Karma after he mentioned a tree. Her eyes were puzzled. "Why would we sleep in a tree if we have the correct supplies? That is only if we have no other choice, as then it would be some cover." She shakes her head, standing before going to Dusk and gently taking off the bags he carried. She wasted little energy as she quickly unpacked, setting up a tent and feeding Dusk. She kicked the tent and it stayed, so she walked back to the fire and sat down. Her eyes returned to the sky for only a moment before looking to Karma.

Karma scoffed as his teasing was wasted on Avira, pulling his food out of the fire, causing it to pop. Karma looks at the fire and stares as he becomes lost in thought, seeing a memory dancing through the fire and coals. When Avira looks at Karma, his eyes are glazed over, causing their usually darker green to be tinted a lighter color that shifts and sparkles like a gemstone as the flames move.