The Price of Protection

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Luckily, he was prepared for the question. He was showing no fear at all, and that's just want he wanted to let her know. He wasn't afraid.

"She was an old friend of mine. A demon, much like me. Had the tail and ears and everything. I met her while I was in the Heiran. She was always there for me when I had to do stupid missions and tasks for the higher members. She kind of calmed me down. Even after I got done doing something, she and I would meet at a specific meadow to talk. Yami had no parents, like me, so we knew we both have to stick together. After having a friend like that, why wouldn't she be important to me?"he asked, noticing that he used the present tense.

That was a mistake. Yami was gone. Forever. The thought did bother him, but he didn't let Ayame see it.​

Ayame looked down for a second then back up.

"I understand... you must have been close.. which is good.. i cant tell you I have Never had parents.. because I have always had my mother and father... and I dont know what it feels like to be a demon.. one thing i dont have for you is sympathy.. I save it for people who need it.. your too strong of a person to pity... I just wish you would understand that sure.. yami is gone.. she is no longer here ... but... " She balled her fists

She had no idea why she felt this jealous.. a curtain of it flowing between her and him... but only she could see it...she was certain there was nothing he was even close to being jealous about with her.

"Raikyo you need to understand you have other people who care about you.. and maybe i wont measure up to yami.. maybe she was way prettier and smarter then me i dont know.. im not trying to compete.. but I have feelings f-for -y-you raikyo, I care about you." she said in a shaky voice, she tried to keep it steady... Her heart was pounding and her cheeks were flushed... her bangs now hid her eyes.. which was fine with her at this moment she didnt want to be seen..

"and the sooner you Understand that and brush me off.. the better.. so i can get on with my life.. with or without the herian comming for me... " she said thinking about jumping down.. she was too high up so she just turned away. "What is meant to be will eventually be my destiny... dead or alive."

"Yami is gone...she is no longer here-"

"...stop."he said, but she didn't hear him. She just continued to talk, hair covering her face. Even in the bright sunlight, her eyes were shielded from the bangs.

"But I have feelings f-for -y-you raikyo, I care about you."

"Stop it."he said more sternly. He was sure she heard this one, after her voice started to choke. If she acknowledged him, it was the most unnoticeable acknowledgement that he had ever witnessed.

"What is meant to be will eventually be my destiny...dead or alive."

"STOP IT!"he shouted, even after she had finished her last sentence. His eyes were burning blue in anger.

"I was in love with her, Ayame! I was in love with her from the first moment I realized that I couldn't bear to go one day without seeing or hearing her voice!"he yelled, voice cracking. "And I had to watch...her...die. I had to look up into those eyes, Ayame! Hear the screams for me! The pain, and I couldn't do ANYTHING ABOUT IT!"

Raikyo was starting to lose control. His breaths were becoming broken, all of the pain of before rushing back in. "And here you are...reminding me that she's gone. And that other's care. I don't want to believe that! I will never believe that! I don't need anyone to care for me, because it will only cause pain! I am a DEMON, AYAME. You are a human. Never forget that."he said, hair shrouding his eyes much like hers before snatched his head away. The tears were there, but he fought his hardest to hide them from her, biting the bottom of his lip in agony.​

Ayame sat there in silence as he finished his speech. She couldnt see his face expression.. she couldnt feel what he was feeling.. all she could go off of was what he told her..

and he told her.. in more ways then one.. that he didnt feel the same

that he was still in love with her.. and always will be.

Ayame pursed her lips... Silent tears ran down her face as she jumped from the tree She looked at fairenz.. she looked up in the tree and smiled though tears streamed down her embarassed face.

" I..uh.. I hope you find whatever it is your looking for raikyo.. so that you might um.."

She cupped her hands together.. a tear drop fell to the ground.. it was so quiet you could hear it shatter against a fallen leaf

"So that you might find peace"

And with that ayame dissappeared in the forest.. She didnt look back, all she wanted to do was go home.. she didnt even care whether the herian caught up with her or not..

she finally got the answer she had been looking for out of raikyo

"That was all the closure i needed" she said to herslef, her hands shaking a little as she just kept going, moving along the path they had walked the opposite way..

Raikyo partly let her go and partly didn't. When he heard her tears, he nearly broke into pieces. All of the emotional torture were tearing through him at once. Winter's arrival, thoughts of Yami and her death, and now, Ayame's pain. They were all cutting into his mind and heart, tearing him apart piece by piece. When she got done talking, she jumped from the tree and ran off. Raikyo, after hearing the footsteps crunch upon leaves, turned his head slowly to watch her go. Go off into the forest alone.

"Wait..."he whispered, barely even at a whisper. He knew that she couldn't hear him, but every step she took, the more he leaned forward.

"Wait!"he said again, this time louder. He bound from the tree and ran off after her. Fairenz had decided to stay put. Raikyo really did not feel the need to discuss anything with him, and was actually quite glad to be away from the cat's powerful aura.

"WAIT!"he shouted this time, whipping the girl around after he had caught up with her. His eyes were tear stained and red at the ends. It was degrading...letting her see him like this, and he would eventually plot a way to erase this image of him from her mind. But at that moment, he wanted nothing more than to see what he was going through. What she was doing.

"I will protect you, Ayame. Not for pity. Not for replacement. Because I want to, and only because I want to. I need you to stay...Understand that."he said, boring his eyes into hers.​

"I need you to stay.."

what more could he possibly need her for?

she thought to herself

He had made her look utterly ridiculous.... but could she really be upset? if he didnt feel the same then he just didnt.. there was nothing she could do about it.

She sighed and looked down. his eyes told the truth.. they were telling her to stay..

She didnt say anything she just looked up at him and nodded "Fine. " she said quietly

"After you defeat the herian however, I will return to my village and you can go on about your life okay? sounds about right for you?" she said not waiting for an answer, she just walked away from him, in the direction he had just came.

What have I done to her to make her despise me?, he asked himself, watching her walk off into the direction she had just left. His nose wrinkled an inch. Still doesn't know where she's going, but still too stubborn to stop and ask.

Raikyo sighed loudly and made his way to her. His walk was so brisk, he managed to pass her up. His eyes looked no where but straight forward when their auras pushed passed one another. Fairenz, who was lounging at the base of the tree they were at, opened one eye, watching the two of them walk away.

Not now, Fairenz.

The three of them walked the afternoon away, back on track onto the trail. They were not going to reach the next town until another day's time. Raikyo knew for he had came to Ayame's village from this way so he remembered the journey. On occasion, he would glance behind him, checking up on her. She didn't even return the looks.

"Would you like me to carry you?"he offered, still looking ahead.​

Ayame wanted nothing to do with him at the moment, she still felt humiliated, but she was tired...

she had to admit this.. as much as she didnt even want to look at him she stopped and nodded.

Waiting for him to come back and carry her, she was relieved to have her feet off the ground,

it seemed they had been walking for days

or maybe thats just what anger mixed with heat and walking great distanes felt like

She needed rest.. even if it was up against him, she would think of him as nothing more then a temporary bed until she woke up...

He was surprised that the girl had allowed him to carry her, but didn't complain when she didn't say anything to him. Even the the added weight didn't please him physically, he still managed to find himself at peace when the feeling of her chest heaving in long breaths of sleep pushed and pulled on his back. Raikyo's mouth unconsciously pulled into a small smile.

"When I was a kid...I had this dream. It was of me. I was running through the water, watching something...someone moving. They were being taken away from somewhere, and I didn't understand why."he said lowly. He knew the girl was out cold, and probably couldn't hear a thing, but Raikyo continued, stepping onward.

"But I didn't want that person to go. So I ran fast as I could until I was finally in reach. Then I grabbed her. Yeah, it was a her. Well, it wasn't a grab. More of a tackle. The tackle had brought us underwater. I looked through the water and saw the girl. She had black hair and...I couldn't tell the color of her eyes. The hair was waving through her face, and I was trying to pull it away. She had to be beautiful. I just felt it. But I never knew who she was."he said when his voice lowered to a whisper.

The smile on his face faded, remembering the tears he saw on her face when he finally stopped at a meadow in the forest.​

Ayame had heard his words, She carried them with her in her dreams

Lucky girl..

Amazingly enough, she had fallen asleep fairly quickly in his arms.. she didnt think it would be so easy..

even if she was mad... it was still raikyo.. she couldnt stay mad...

Whether they were friends or..

or anything else... she couldn't. It took over her quickly.. her long black hair swayed off of his arm that held her head against him.. everything felt so peaceful....

Even in the midst of all the danger and turmoil, the sleep she felt in his arms.. she couldn't describe it..

It was the sweetest thing she had ever known

Raikyo continued to carry the girl through the meadow and he finally settled himself on the grass, Ayame still in his arm. The wind was a perfect touch to the evening. After a long days walk, the heat was being fought with the reoccurring breeze. Raikyo's hair flowed back and forward, but he didn't mind. Every time a wild gust would blow through, he would gently catch strands of Ayame's hair to stop it from tickling her face while she was asleep.

He paused after he had stopped the wind for the umpteenth time, looking down at the sleeping human that lay against his lap. His eyes turned from the dark blue back into something lighter when he gazed at her body rising and falling.

He ran a finger down her arm. He had never actually touched a human's skin before. At least, not like that. It didn't feel as soft as a demon's, but it was definitely a softer touch than his own. Raikyo kept the motion up until he eventually found his eyes drooping, and falling into a deep slumber for the first time in a long time.​

Ayame and him slept like that a while... some humans who were picking grains watched them sleep. They looked so peaceful.... they just left them alone.. after a few hours ayames eyes slit open a little.. then she slowly opened them all the way blinking up at rakyo as he slept... she smiled a little. And made sure her breathing didn't change knowing that he was in sync with her, if her breathing quickened or slowed down he would probably know and wake up... she just lay there in his arms as the wind blew his hair a little she nesttled down since it was nightfall by this time and descended off once again into another deep sleep.

The last thing Raikyo was expecting to wake up to was a purr from Fairenz. Sure, Raikyo had heard his share of purrs from the large panther. Some of them sounded deep enough to be the engine of a small car. However, cutting through the chirping of birds and blowing wind, Raikyo detected the peaceful vibrations resonating from the cat's throat. Raikyo squinted his closed eyes, temporarily blinded by the sunlight. When the light dimmed behind a cloud, he took his chance and opened them.

He was where he remembered he was: at a meadow on the ground with Ayame asleep on him. He looked down at the girl with a curious face. Come to think of it, Raikyo distinctly remembered shoving the girl off of him. Or maybe that was only in his dreams. Ayame continued to sleep and Raikyo's peaceful sleep was now completely over as his eyes slit in annoyance.

"Get up."he snapped in a crisp voice. He was determined to hide all of the emotional stress he encountered the day before, so Raikyo returned to his regular, demonic, jerkish self, roughly shaking Ayame by the shoulders.​

Ayames dreams were shaken away by the force of raikyos hands shaking her arms to get up. She looked up at him first blinking then she remembered all the emotions from the following day and became angry.. she wasnt comfortable with being angry because it just wasnt the type of person she was, but by now she wouldnt say she was comfortable with it, more like familiar with it. And so her face went back to aggrivated and she swiftly got off of him. "Your the one who offered to carry me, and if you seen me sleeping you shouldve just put me down" she said fixing her kimono and hair. "Get up fairenz" she said petting him softly, this animal was the only thing keeping her at peace right now, she still felt an inner hatred towards him for the things he said.. and no nap could fix that.

"Come on fairenz, apparently since HE is ready to go we ALL to be ready to go cause hes some kind of king" She said turning to face him, She had never in her life been this angry, but she couldnt stop.. the words he said kept repeating in her head.

"Im a DEMON. Your a human. dont forget that"

Oh I wont. You want me to quit bothering you? Fine.

"Which way KING" she said bowing sarcastically.

Raikyo rose an eyebrow at her when she woke up completely doused in aggravation. Did she wake up from a bad dream or something? Raikyo watched the girl roughly get up and fix herself up. Even when she was being nice to Fairenz, her voice still had a frozen bite to it. Raikyo was actually quite amused. His ears perked up and his tails swayed faster than normal, sometimes twitching when he saw the anger in her eyes. This Ayame was different, and Raikyo was really curious at the whole thing. Of course, he knew just what to do to calm her down, but he told himself to push those emotions from yesterday out. So, Raikyo bent down on the tip his two feet, gazing up at the angry human.

"Which way KING?"

"King?"he repeated, tilting his head to the side innocently. "I'm not a king. But if I am a king, then you must be my servant or something. That seems fun."he said, lightening up and bounding up to his full height. "Are you really willing to do anything I tell you?"he asked, his smirk wrinkling his bandage.​

Ayame didnt catch the hint.

"Sure KING why not? we already do whatever you say so go ahead, lay it on us what is it that his majesty wants?!?!" She said on edge,

"Come on fairenz we must do what the king asks and if i cant sleep you cant" She said sitting on top of the animal as he continued to purr.

"What is it raikyo? you want us to walk north south east or west? sorry im not a super demon like you I cant walk in all directions at once excuse me" She continued, "You want me to jump how high? kill something? GET killed? what is it you highness?" she said on edge, her tiny fists balled up as the wind began again... blowing her long hair wildly

She was begining to think she controlled the wind.

Uhh...

The turn of events was quite different than from what the demon had expected. He thought that she would just huff, puff out her little cheeks, and storm off like she always did. Raikyo was looking forward to that so he could skip after her and tug on her hair, further annoying her. Instead, she only got angrier at the entire 'king' thing and was completely losing her mind.

If Raikyo's head could tilt anymore to the right, it would've rolled off onto the soft grass beneath his feet. It was his cat-like instincts he learned from Fairenz that made him like that. One of the black ears planted in his ear twitched at the sound of her angered voice. He blinked once, eyes wide with a child-like curiosity when she sat on top of his panther. Raikyo's tail swayed to the side once before he walked over to her.

He did not stop there, though. He got closer to her, until his nose touched hers. It was a strange gesture for Raikyo to do, but his curiosity for her got the best of him. Raikyo then nuzzled her nose with his own and giggled.

"This is fun, Ayame!"he exclaimed with a cheery ring to his voice.​

Ayame blinked twice when he nuzzled his nose against hers.

Her tiny fists were no longer fists.. now they had loosened.. she tried hard to keep her angry face, but she couldnt...

he was being.. to cute. Her cheeks began to redden as the old her returned slowly

She smiled brighter and brighter as the seconds went by.. she then couldnt help but bust out in a fit of giggles as she mimicked him, nuzzling her nose too

Unaware of the unusualness of being so close him him

"I guess its kind of fun.."

Raikyo found the two of them laughing and at the strange gesture. His laughter started getting the best of him and he eventually had to back up, laughing so hard that he plopped down on the ground. He lay straight on his back, his laugh turning into small giggles until eventually he stopped, a smile still planted on his face. Raikyo's heart raced. The laughter was somewhat like an exercise for him. It felt like he had ran for miles, his heart thudding in his chest.

Raikyo ran his fingers through the silky crop of black hair on his head as he stared up at the clouds.

"I'm sorry."he blurted out. He blinked twice, confused about why he said it, but chose not to stop there.

"I don't want to seem bossy, but you gotta understand that I am supposed to be protecting you. Humans are so stubborn. I know you're independent or whatever, but if you want my help, you should listen to what I tell you to do. I have good intentions, Ayame. And that is a rare thing for me. So work with me here...kay?"he asked, giving her a small smile. He knew this cheery disposition will go away soon, but he wanted to enjoy it for as long as he possibly could.​

Ayame looked at raikyo and smiled a little, If she was going to be here with him.. she decided it felt more natural to just go with the flow instead of trying to be something that she wasnt

Which would be an angry person

"Kay" she agreed nodding and getting off of fairenz.

She first went into the forest, to get cleaned up and change, when she came back she had pinned her hair back, it was too long to be on her face in this weather... she smiled and hugged her kimono that was white and blue.. the blue matching the color of raikyos eyes when he was at peace, which was partly why she chose it. She smiled and began walking "Shall we?"