The Price of Protection

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
When she didn't respond, he didn't respond, leaving the two of them walking down the road in silence. Minutes passed into hours, and they were well away from the village now. The terrain changed as they continued their travel. The rocks and dirt began to turn into sand and long strands of brown grass. It reminded him of wheat as he strolled on through the trail, which was nothing more than patted dirt created by the many footsteps of the traveled road.

Raikyo thought he was losing it, but when he felt it again, he slowed his walk into small steps. Fairenz's aura grew more until Raikyo could make out the silhouette of the large panther appearing to the left of him. Raikyo bent down to rub the cat. His skin was slightly damp and Raikyo grinned.

"Swimming, have we?"he said aloud. Fairenz licked his nose in response and walked over to Ayame. All of sudden, the cat shook his entire body, spraying small little droplets of water on Ayame. Raikyo chuckled, watching the cat enjoy his fun.

"Fairenz must be in a good mood."he noted when the cat started pouncing on flying insects.​

"FAIRENZ!" she said half angry, He was a big cat, and so the water was no drizzel, but more of a shower of tiny droples, as it dripped from the strands of Ayame's hair she couldnt help but be happy to see him

She smiled and hugged the panther tightly "I missed you" she said affectionately.

Before she could finish babying the panther, a black Aura began to fill the air... Ayames hair blew fiercely in front of her face as the wind picked up. She could barely see anything as she held her hand in front of her face, Then as soon as the wind came it left, And it was as if everything had gone back to normal, She heard foot steps but didnt see anything. She even saw indents where some one was walking towards them, soon a boy appeared, he had long silver hair, a smirk on his face around their age. His black outfit made her think he was a ninja, but the way he appeared proved otherwise.. he was indeed a demon.

"well well, "
He said chuckling a little in a deep dark sinister voice.

"Winter."Raikyo said aloud. The man only smiled in response.

"I see you remember me as clear as day. I'm not surprised, though. The Heiran has been talking about you lately, my friend. 'The demon cat who fled and is now protecting the prey.' You're quite the celebrity."he said. Raikyo's tail bristled in anger. Just seeing Winter again was infuriating, and now he was conversing with him as if they were sitting down for dinner.

"What are you doing here?"he asked, moving closer to Ayame. The question had an obvious answer.

"You and I both know. The other was false...a pity. How such a simple mistake cost the life of an innocent little demon girl."he joked. Raikyo's eyes instantly dropped dark blue in anger. Winter had pushed him off the edge that quickly.

"I'LL KILL YOU!"he roared, his familiar blue aura ravishing around him. Fairenz crouched down into a pouncing position, yellow eyes pierced into Winter. Winter only stood and surveyed the sight.

"I hit a nerve, didn't I? So sorry. But it's true right. Poor Yami didn't stand a chance."he said, catching a glimpse of the fury in Raikyo's eyes when he said Yami's name.​

"Who.. who is yami?" Ayame said looking at both demons. she analyzed the situation quickly,

A girl demon...

the wind blew ayame's flower right out of her hair as it began to pick up... her closed her eyes, so dust couldnt fly in them,

"... Raikyo?" Ayame said looking at winter then back at raikyo... she backed away a little, then looked around

fairenz!!?? where are you??

"How dare you say her name in front of me...AFTER WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH!?"he shouted. The aura was spinning out of control. Winter wasn't intimidated in the least. The wind blew his silver hair around in his face, but he didn't even blink. He only gazed at Raikyo with a smirk lined on his face.

"You knew she wasn't the one, Winter! You knew! And you still let them...you let them.."

"Now now, Raikyo. What is over and done with is over and done with. The Heiran only made a simple mistake. A foolish one. Why did we think the power source lied inside of the life of our own demon kind, we did not know. But you have to admit...the girl was special. The brown furred golden eyed fox demon. With the power to temporarily strengthen those around her. You must admit...that was a tasty target for us."

Raikyo had about enough. Roaring once again, he sped off toward the direction of the demon and swung out to punch him. His hand came in contact with nothing but smoke. Raikyo's eyes widened slightly, before getting kicked right in the back. He flew several feet in the air, body roughly hitting the sandy ground beneath him. Fairenz made a move to assist him, but felt Ayame shaking instead. The panther knew why the demon man was there and what he wanted. Raikyo would not want him to have that. So, Fairenz placed himself to the right of Ayame, growling.

Raikyo coughed and hoisted himself off of the ground. His back pulled a muscled, causing him to close one eye, but still managed to send Winter a fiery glare.

"But you all knew it wasn't her! She never wanted to be that way! She wanted to be free!"he yelled, struggling to gather himself. Winter chuckled.

"The Heiran doesn't care about love. They don't now and they certainly did not when she screamed out for you." Raikyo's whole body was paralyzed at the words that were just thrown at him, his dark blue eyes wide and shaking.

"Please! Don't hurt her!"

"Raikyo!"the girl yelled out despite her position. A dark figure dressed in an all green cloaked constricted the demon girl by her throat. Her tail thrashed around wildly, hands groping the arms of her attacker. Raikyo was on all fours, trying to reach out for her.

"Yami!"he yelled, voice turning hoarse in pain. Yami opened her large golden eyes, slowly turning to look at him. Raikyo's heart stopped when he saw the tears streaking down her face. The man in green raised his sword.

"Pathetic. Such a small gift could not fulfill the wishes for a mere fly. The strength you give is false. You have no power...No purpose."the voice was down to a whisper.

"YAMI!!!"Raikyo yelled again, lurching his body upwards before being brought back down from the pain. Blood oozed from a wound on his side, but he didn't care. He clenched his teeth, and tried to reach out for her.

"Don't let me die...R-Raikyo..."she choked, crying freely, "Please...Raik-"

Her voice turned into an ear-splitting scream when the sword was lunged straight through her stomach. Crimson blood splattered from the whole, even latching onto her golden hair. Her eyes widened to their full length, tears still running from them. Raikyo shook uncontrollably, mouth gaping open, but no words coming out...not even air.

"Such a pity. Hopefully this one will be the right one, eh, Raikyo?" Winter cooed, looking over to Ayame. Raikyo was still hunched over, inhaling deeply.​

Ayame looked at all the elements going on around her.

"So the reason that you protect me... is because you feel you owe a debt to someone else.. another girl.."

Ayame said as her bangs covered her eyes.

"Well... I dont need your protection... I dont need you raikyo.. and I will not fill that debt"

She said in anger, Ayame felt something hot... a fire.. starting deep down inside her... the skies began to gray and the world turned silent, She felt something inside her... it was coming

What is this?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ayame's heart began to beat very wildly... and her kimono swayed with the wind as smoke built up around her

Her hair began to swivel from side to side, and her eyes were glowing a deep dark red.

You have funally let me surface you should get angry more often.... Kill them Ayame Kill them I say unto you!!!!

a deep slithering voice echoed down inside her

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" she screamed digging her nails into her head.

You stubborn wench! they want to use me to help their own pack.. But i will not be silenced! I will not be used for such irrelevant things.. you will kill them KILL THEM!!

the voice told her

"SILENCE!" she screamed but she could feel it slowly taking over her body..

"Interesting..."Winter spoke, eyeing Ayame with his deep silver eyes. Raikyo coughed once more, looking at Ayame tear herself apart. She was screaming at someone...when no one wasn't talking her. Her hands were clamped over her hair. What is wrong with her?

"A...Ayame.."he sputtered, attempting to straighten himself out. Winter watched her some more.

"Ahh...this is the one."he confirmed, smirking.

Fairenz found himself backing away from the girl. There was something about the aura around him that set him on a nervous edge. He backed up, putting one paw behind the other but still keeping a close eye on her.​

Ayame... surrender yourself to me and kill them all!!!

The voice told her, as she paced,

Do it... Or ill destroy you too. KILL THEM.... it is there blood that will keep you beautiful and young forever ayame.. what do you think of that?

"Unfortunatley for you thats not the kind of thing i care about!!." Ayame screamed at herself

Very well then. i dont have the energy to take over your soul all the way for now, but the time I do have i will make the most of.

The voice inside her said, a flash of light appeared behind ayames eyes and she rose up just a couple of feet off the ground then fell to her knees.

Ayame stood and the wind ceased around her, a smirk planted across her face.

"Foolish mutts, you think you can tame me? You're truly stupid, aren't you? You know, you could just hide and run away...For you lower demons, the image of that wouldn't be disgraceful. Because, after all, your living soul in itself is already the pinnacle of disgrace."

She said in a voice not of her own.

"BEHOLD" she continued as a lightning strike bursted from between her cupped hands coming straight for winter.

Ayame...

Raikyo looked up at the girl with wide eyes. She wasn't herself. Her voice was tinged with darkness...a darkness that even made Raikyo shudder. Winter watched as the girl prepared a lightening blast, but he did not move.

"Calm yourself. I am only here to bring you to my Lord. He will free you from this vessel. I am not your enemy. The only enemy around these parts is the demon and his filthy cat."he spat, pointing to Raikyo and Farienz. Fairenz growled, the fur on his back rising as he looked at the dark Ayame. Raikyo felt the dialogue flow into his head as he struggled to stand up.

No...you'll hurt her.

I know! I know...just...don't.

Raikyo finally regained his composure even though he swayed slightly. Winter's kick was stronger than he expected. Eyes now fully on Ayame, he breathed deeply.

"Ayame...stop it."he said, voice low.​

"Ayame...stop it."

The words echoed in her head, and she began to fight hearing raikyos voice

the demon felt himself getting weak as she began to do so..

"I am not strong enough to be free yet fool that's why I lay dormit inside her.. But when i am.. I intend you to kill this girl... You Boy" Ayame said, turning to Raikyo

"All of you filthy lower demons who show affection towards humans are all dirt in my eyes!! Why protect them? Why miss them? Why love them? the girl will die when the time comes...you should learn to accept that before hand.. it is her destiny.. it is why she was even BORN"

The demon inside making her smirk

"remember who your REAL family is"

And with that, It compacted itself deep down inside Ayame, the girl stood for a moment.. then she fell to the ground, her hair covering her face, breathing hard but steady.. trying to catch a grip on reality. "Raikyo..." she said softly as she slowly regained conscience

Winter was not entertained by the show in front of him. His task was to come and take the girl back to the lair, whether she was being possessed or still being a filthy human. When he saw the girl drop to the ground, he found his chance, walking over to her.

"Nice try, my pet."he cooed, reaching down to touch Ayame. Raikyo was overwhelmed with anger, but he need not say a word. For, before Winter was even aloud to touch her, a black streak bound through the air, ransacking into Winter. Winter had forgotten all about Fairenz, which was the last mistake of his life. Winter lay sprawled on the ground with wild eyes, staring into the jaws of the giant black. Saliva dripped from the panther's mouth and Raikyo walked over to the tow of them. When Winter made the move to struggle against him, Fairenz dug his claws into his shoulder.

"Raikyo...don't d-"

"Kill him."

As he turned away from the scene of Fairenz's jaws lunging into Winter, gargling screams filling the air, he knelt down to Ayame, brushing the hair from her eyes.​

Ayame lay there, trying to rap her mind around everything as she tried to sit up, she looked at Raikyo, who was by her side. Her eyes adjusted and she looked at raikyo, her eyes piercing his. Her stomach felt raw, as if some one had just put out a blazing fire inside her. As he brushed the hair from her eyes ayame. Felt at peace... his touch calmed her... she sat up a bit and burried her face in his chest as tears rolled down her cheeks.. she didn't care if she looked like a cry baby she didn't care that she was a human and he was a demon

At that moment she needed him and he was there for her...

He didn't know if Fairenz was finished or not, so he allowed for her to lie on his chest. He placed a single hand behind her head, keeping it steady so she wouldn't move or look up at what the cat was doing. It wasn't a forced hand, just a gentle touch against the soft black hair. Raikyo felt a small tremor coarse through the tiny body. She was crying. Raikyo inhaled quickly, closing his eyes and letting the breath roll back out. Ayame's head moved along with the deep breath, still crying against his chest. Raikyo opened his eyes, but they were still dimmed in thought. He was glad he couldn't see the girl cry. He didn't want to see anymore tears, if he could help it.

Oh. You finished? Good. Come here and give the girl some comfort.

What do you mean 'why not me?' She's not happy with me right now.

Come on, Fairenz! Just do this for me!

Raikyo looked over at Fairenz, who was licking his mouth. His black fur was rid of all traces of blood and everything else the demon's body contained. As a matter of fact, the entire demon was gone, along with all the blood that was spilled around him. Fairenz always purified the area when he was done killing. Raikyo must have not noticed the purification aura because he was too preoccupied with Ayame. He looked back down at the girl, who was still crying. After looking down at her for what seemed to be hours (but was only seconds), he removed his hand from the back of her head, hoisting himself up from the ground. Fairenz trotted over to her hastily, snacking his way under her to support her.

"Try to get up, Ayame. We have to keep moving."he said, looking behind him, confirming that there were no more people near them.​

Ayame got up slowly, using the panther for support she wiped her tears away and sniffeled. She didn't even know what had just happened really. One minute she was about to be attacked by some demon the next she fell unconscience and when she woke up he was above her.. and she felt horrible.. her insides felt raw, on fire. She looked at raikyo.. he was so quiet and calm.. so she didn't ask what happened. She decided she didn't want to know she just silently moved behind him as they walked on...

She kept her head down.. the bangs covering her eyes.. and she cupped her hands together in front of her... moving silently behind

The anger that was poured through him when Winter had mentioned his past had returned once again during the walk. Lord had sent one of his old friends to come and screw around with his emotions. To remind of him of what they put him through. And what they did to Yami...​

yami.jpg

It pained him to say her name. It had been 2 years since the incident. He had told himself to throw all thoughts of it away. Even the old memories and feelings he had for the demon girl. He was doing good with that, until he met Ayame. It wasn't as if she reminded him of Yami in any way. They were completely different. Yami was wise and retained a lot more information than Ayame could. Then again, she was a demon, and she also had a special gift. And that gift...was the same gift that the Heiran killed her over.

Raikyo snarled and shut his eyes tight, but still continued to walk as if nothing had happened. He knew Ayame was behind him, and he could still feel her aura as clear as day. Her scent also never went away, but now it was mixed in confusion and something more. Raikyo was brought back to what happened to her during Winter's encounter. It only confirmed that she was what the Heiran wanted. Raikyo opened his eyes again, but they were slit closed in anger. The Heiran always want to take something so innocent and torture them. And now they were going as far as to take an innocent human girl!

Fist clenched, Raikyo stepped on. No. Not this one.

"We will get there soon."he said, lightly, but loud enough for her to hear.​

But where are we going?The question played over and over in her head... but she didn't say anything... no more questions.. she was scared of herself now, because she didn't know what she was capable of.... she sighed and continued to follow him.. the warm summer air drifted threw her long silky black hair... she put hr hands threw it and let it fall on her back.. it was too hot to stay in her face the way it was... she ran her fingers over fairenz's furr as he smoothly moved past her, just ahead by a few inches. Ayame felt a little better then before... but still she said nothing.. What as there to say?

By the look of the sun above them, Raikyo estimated that it was a little bit before noon. A scowl covered the demons soft face, wrinkling the bandage on his cheek.

All of that and it's not even noon yet...

Raikyo kept walking on, but from time to time, he asked Fairenz questions about Ayame's status. The cat was liking being the messenger boy...or cat, but Raikyo couldn't stand to look at her. He felt her heartbeat slow along with the pulsing aura, so he knew she was calming herself down. The girl probably had no idea what she had just been through. Raikyo sighed loudly. Unnecessarily loud, but that was only because he was tired of walking in silence. As much as he hated to admit it...he was missing the annoying sound of her voice.

"You okay back there?"he asked tentatively.​

Ayame looked around at first, as if he could have been talking to anyone but her...

But they had been in silence so long it was hard to believe that he was speaking to her...

she was trying not to annoy him, but when he asked her questions she couldnt just ignore him

it means he obviously wants to talk.. but it seems his mind had been some where else ever since ...whatever happened.

She still couldnt rap her mind around what had happened.. she knew it was something bad.. but she couldnt put her finger on it exactly.

She sighed and looked up at the trees shading the sun.. she was greatful for that..

"Im fine and you?" She said it so formally, as if they were just introducing themselves... she knew it sounded a little bitter, but she couldnt take it back.

So she didnt regret it.

"Alright, let's cut the bull shit."he responded quickly, hardly before she finished her sentence. He didn't even remember what she said, but it was said in a dull voice. It just wasn't Ayame! Not the one he knew. Raikyo stopped, turned around, and grabbed the girl by her arm. Slinging her over his shoulder, he turned off of the main road and strode in through the high woods on both sides of the trail. He didn't go in too deep. All he needed was a tree, and there were plenty of those around for miles. Raikyo picked one and leaped onto the branches, holding tight to Ayame. He didn't go up too far; he was only trying to find a comfortable branch that she could rest in. He found one that was smooth and that didn't have flakes of bark being scaled off of it.

"Sit."he ordered, not giving her much of a choice when he set her down. He crouched down in front of her and crossed his legs, tail waving slowly from side to side. "I know you have questions. So what is it? Ask away."he said, looking at her seriously with blue eyes.​

Ayame was a little suprised when he lifted her up and hoisted her up the tree she blinked twice and looked at him when he sat her down. She studied his face expression a while he seemed serious enough. She nodded looking him in the eyes.

"You wanna cut the bullshit let's cut it then" she said, her soft voice contrasted with her words...she had never cursed but she was aggrivated.

"Who is yami and why is she so important to you?"