The Price of Protection

Raikyo snickered, slithering down from the tree softly and walking behind her, as silent as possible. He actually used his aura to cover the soles of his shoes, making no noise as he stepped behind the girl.

"Gotcha."he said in the rapist voice, his finger rubbing on her arm. Raikyo laughed loudly in his head at the thoughts that must have been pouring into the poor girl's head, but it was the only thing he could do to amuse himself. He knew she would probably never forgive him for what he was doing. For a moment, he was tempted to stop, but then he only smiled evilly. He would much rather she her tremble. So, with that, he got close to her ear.

"Take it off."he whispered in a low gruff voice, still masking his voice.​

Ayame trembled.. she was so scared she didnt know what to do...

did she want to yess for raikyo? or fairenz? or would this person kill her if she did???

She wanted to cry but she was too scared to, her body wouldnt let her

"You dont wanna do this... my.. my friends arent far from here and they are demons!"

she tried to reassure the man she held the towel close to her.. her dripping hair

mixed with the cold night air did not do her justice, because she bgean to shiver

even more then before

"Theyll kill you!" she continued in a hushed voice not knowing if the man was armed,

not wanting to startle him

He was beginning to feel bad for her. The poor girl was trembling head to toe, hair dripping wet from the springs. Her fingers clamped tight against the towel that held her body from being bare and exposed. When she talked, her voice was a tremor and shaking mess. It was sad and pathetic. To top it off, she had threatened to call him and Fairenz to 'the man.' Raikyo's left ear twitched when he heard her threat. What makes you think I'll save you?

"Hey...relax. It's just me."he said in his own voice, tail swishing against her arm. He knew she would royally curse him out, but he didn't care. "Sorry. I got bored."he exclaimed, telling the truth while scratching his head.​

Ayame turned around to face raikyo, her face was apple red nd she too angry for words.. so she didn't use them.

SMACK!!

Ayame smacked aikyo across his face as hard as she could "you f*cking a*sshole! Do you
Know that that kind of fear can do to a woman?? You don't speak to me!!" She screamed, tears
In her eyes. And she didn't, ayame didn't speak to him the rest of the night and when she layed down to
Rest her head she put a blanket out, knowing fairenz was obviouslyinvolved she didn't sleep against
His furr that night.

Raikyo's face whipped to the side when she smacked him. He wasn't expecting that, believe it or not. He didn't even bother to turn his head to look at her when she cursed him out. He only stared at the ground, the side of his head burning red. It was as if someone pressed a hot iron againnst his face. He felt all of the blood in his cheek rush around, reddening his face. Ayame stormed off and went to sleep. When about 5 minutes passed afterwords, Raikyo finally rubbed his face and looked up into the tree. Fairenz was fast asleep in the tree, tail wrapped around his body. Raikyo snorted. The panther could care less about her sleeping under a blanket.

Raikyo leaped into the same tree as Fairenz, and didn't sleep that entire night. He kept thinking of what Ayame said about the kind of fear he struck in her. His blue eyes darkened in anger towards himself and her at the same time. He decided not to voice his opinions. She had made it perfectly clear that she didn't want him to talk to her. He was planning on keeping to that statement. Even when the sun poured into the canopies and the three of them set out on the long winding road to a different place, Raikyo said nothing, walking about 25 feet behind her at all times.​

[He's acting like a child...

She thought to herself but didn't mind the distance she was still hot with anger at the cruel joke he had
Played.. what made her upset is that he actually thought he was funny and he didn't even apologize! She glared back at him then ran her fingers
Through her hair in a swift motion looking ahead once more "hmph"

She kept walking along the train.. her violet kimono swaying as the wind picked up but she barely noticed, still hot with anger.

Raikyo kicked a pebble under his foot in frustration. The girl didn't even bother to turn around and see if he was looking at her. He could've been snatched away for all she knew, and yet she only sighed with a "hmph!" and continued her walk. Fairenz was long gone from the both of them. The panther hadn't eaten in 2 days and he was starving. So, when Raikyo told him that they were setting off that morning, the panther bound into the forest in search for some food. Raikyo was actually glad that he didn't hunt in front of Ayame. Not that she would've notice because she wasn't looking at him!

Raikyo angrily kicked another innocent pebble that was lined on the dirt trail that he and Ayame were walking on. Why is she taking this so seriously!?

"Ayame.."he called, but she didn't respond. The demon's face was a easel of frustration and he picked up the pace to catch up to her.

"Ayame."he said, a little more sternly.

"Look, It's not that big of a deal. I'm...sorry. Alright? There. I said it."he said, feeling the strange taste of an apology in his mouth.​

Normally if anyone else would've said sorry it would not have been enough because in ayames eyes that was a terrible cruel joke

But this was raikyo so she decided to forgive him since she was positive this was one of his first sorries...atleast in a while. Ayame turned around and hugged him "okay raikyo I forgive you... just don't do that anymore you could seriously hurt someones feelings"

Not that raikyo cared about anyones feelings...
Accept ayames appariently

Raikyo wasn't sure whether to hug her back or just stand there and look completely dumbfounded. So he stood there and looked completely dumbfounded. It was amazing that Ayame had accepted the apology so quickly. It was amazing that Raikyo even apologized! But it was all over now. The girl wrapped her arms around him in a hug, asking for him to not do that again.

"I'm a demon. My form of entertainment is different than you humans. I enjoyed that, it was fun. Besides, you know I'd never let something like that happen to you if I were around, right?"he asked, not knowing how to rid himself of the hug, so he just pat her back lightly.

"Even Fairenz would've reacted if someone even walked up to you. So chill out for once, human."he said, spoiling the affectionate moment. Just in time too. His stomach was feeling fuzzy.​

Ayame smiled not letting go

"......this is a great moment raikyo and I'm not gonna let you spoin it not this time" she said holding on tighter

"Hug me back or I don't accpet your aology" she said smirking

Either way she would, but this time the joke was on raikyo

"I don't give a damn whether you fo-"

His sentence stopped short when she looked at him with large pleading eyes. Raikyo cringed at the pathetic expression. She was sad and also dangerously serious about not forgiving him if he did not return the gesture. Normally, he would've tripped her under her feet and walked on. Then again, what was normal anymore?

Raikyo sighed, blowing a strand of black hair from his face and suddenly pulled her closer to him, arms wrapped around her body in a tight (but not so tight) hug. His hand unconsciously moved to the back of her head and he placed hit there, sighing through the strands.

"Forgive me."​

Oh no...

She thought to herse. Normaly she would've just let it be aftr that... but he was staring at her with the most beautiful eyes that ayame had ver seen.. and the way he moved his hand behind her back and head. Their lips were too close for comfort.. she moved hers closer to his then snatched out of his grasp suddenly

The promise...

She cleared her throat "t-thanks" she sad blushing begining to walk on

Raikyo was confused by her actions. Her expression turned from mad, to sad, to down right red. He tilted his head, ears flapping along with the gesture as the girl continued to walk forward down the trail, which was winding down to the end. They were beginning to pass houses now. That indicated that they were getting closer to a new town. Raikyo followed Ayame along with a playful spring to his step.

"So, Ayame...you never dated Roku?"he asked tentatively.​

Ayame giggled

Aww he's jealous...

"No I never dated him though I know he kind of likes me... his father asked my father if he could have my hand in marriage and my father told him no... my father wants me to die a virgin.. wich is fine with me if I never find that special someone" she said blushing and glancing at raikyo "why you wanted to know?"

"Die a virgin? What kind of bull is that? If you die a virgin, you will die as one unhappy female."he noted, nodding to himself. Not that he would know of course. Raikyo was a demon so he didn't experience things like virginity and marriage on the regular like humans did. It was even a rare feat if a demon would experience love. Love...

Rakiyo was suddenly brought back to a conversation he had with a certain someone before The Heiran. Before everything changed.

"Raiyko...why are you always so tense?"the girl said. She was a beautiful brown furred, golden eyed demon girl, dressed in an gorgeous orange dress. She and Raikyo were sitting together, grazing in a soft meadow. Raikyo, a bit younger but still handsome, looked at the girl as her tail swished from side to side.

"Tense? I'm not tense. I'm never tense."he responded. The demon girl shoved him playfully.

"You can't lie to me, demon. I know you."

"I know you too, Yami."he said, looking into the girl's golden eyes. She was beautiful, Raikyo thought, and a blush started to creep up to his cheeks. His heart, pounding constantly, seemed to wrench out of his chest when she laughed back at him, tickling him behind the ears.

"I love you, Raikyo."she said, a small smile on her face. Raikyo was shocked, staring at the girl. His face was beet red and his breathing crept up on me.

"Y-yami..."

"Yeah I know. The Heiran needs me."she said sadly, looking down at the lush of green crass beneath her body. Raikyo was suddenly angry again, picking up the demon's face softly in his hands.

"I won't let them hurt you."he said, staring into the girl's eyes.

"Why you wanted to know?"

Raikyo snapped out of his reverie and was brought back into the walk he was taking with Ayame. He nearly lost his footing and tripped, but he steadied himself right so Ayame wouldn't notice.

"Huh? Oh, nah, I don't know. I just wanted something to talk about."he answered. "We're almost there."he added, pointing to a cluster of house he made out in the distance.​

Ayame blushed a little, but an angry blush if you can imagine "you werent paying attention to me" she said balling her tiny fists "which means, your mind was on something more important.. which is fine with me" she said flipping her hair once more and stomping off. Ayame was under a lot of stress lately, and she had been taking it out on him but she didnt care.. he was acting strange too. When they reached the next town Ayame tried staying as far away from the demon as possible.. getting in all the "human time" she possibly could, she sat with the local village girls in a circle.

"So. whats it like traveling with a demon ayame" one of the girls finally said after they had been avoiding the subject a while they were all sewing together beautiful kimonos for her to travel with.

"Well at times it can be the best.. but.." said bitterly "sometimes.. it seems like they dont give a DAMN about you" she said crossing her arms and closing her eyes

"ahhh" all the girls said in unison, nodding understandingly

"But thats all men" one girl said giggling.. "all men act like they dont like you... but they really do.. they always have to play the tough roll.. or they dont realize what theyve got until what theyve got is gone.." she said braiding ayames long silky black hair

"Yes but one must wonder.. why" she said glaring at him from the corner of her eye.

"Promise youll come back and visit when you acomplish whatever it is you need to" One of the girls said, finishing ayames braid, even though it just unraveled because of how delicate iand silky it was.

"I pormise.." she said wondering if she would even make it out period.

"I might be back sooner then you all think.."

For some reason, she had the feeling that even though she was traveling with the demon, he wasnt as excited about it as she was... and his mind seemed to be somewhere else other than protecting her. She wish he felt the same way she did about the situation.. but she snapped out of it quick, blinking twice and getting up as the other girls finished up their last stitches

"Why would he waste his time thinking about protecting me?... im so stupid" she said as one of the girls put a blossom in her hair matching her pink and white kimono.

"...your really gorgeous.." the girl said smiling brightly. Ayame smiled picking the little girl up "Thank you you are too" she said twirling the girl around

no matter how bad she felt about anything.. Ayame was just not the depressing type.. her smile was engraved... and she decided to not let it bother her.

Raikyo was leaning against a pole, watching Ayame and the other girls do their human thing. He was tempted to telling her to hurry up, but he thought twice about it. She had probably never left the nest, so she wouldn't know what traveling on the road is like. And the last thing he wanted to experience during he entire trip was her complaining about her hair, hygiene, and fatigue. So, he let her do what she had to do in order to prepare herself.

A young girl placed a flower in her hair, colors matching that of the kimono she wore. He had to admit: it complimented her outfit well and the moment it was placed in her long hair, she lit up like the sun. Raikyo couldn't help but smile at her. The smile never left, even as he motioned for her to come and bid their goodbyes.

"If you make it out alive, we'll come back to this place."he said, waving at the girls before returning his hands into his pockets and walking out the village.​

we will come back??

She smiled as he said this... and she sighed.. she didnt think it would be this hard to leave, but atleast she left refreshed.. and with raikyo.

Ayame looked ahead.. thinking hard about why raikyo was so mean at times... I mean sure he was a demon but..

there has to be something more..

"Raikyo.." she said softly as the flower in her.hair wafted with the wind..

"Have you ever been in love"

The question...

Raikyo paused right in the middle of his walk, hair waving in the wind. His eyes were only looking forward into the atmosphere. He didn't move an inch as he stood on the clear road. Ayame didn't bother to repeat herself as a few seconds passed after she asked.

"Yeah."he answered simply. She didn't need to know anything more than that. He had answered her question. It was even a miracle that he even answered it. It pained him to further think on it, so he just walked on.​

Ayame no she shoudlnt've but she couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealous run through her

She had only witnessed love.. she felt it.

is that what was keeping him from me?

She tried to let the feeling go.. it was nothing...

Ayame tried to shake off any feeling of ever having anything with raikyo because.. the cold reality was ... Ayame would probably eventually be married off once she returned to her village. and Raikyo would go on about his business.

She could tell it hurt him to think about it... so she didnt stress the issue.. and she wouldnt stress it at all. Her and Him, Or Him and Whoever.

She decided from that moment she wouldnt even hint about the subject... after all to him this was all just business to get back at the herian..

But It was all personal to me..

she thought as she folded her hidden arms under her kimono against her chest as they walked on.