The Price of Protection

Raikyo was as ready as he could be. Fairenz knew it as he stared at his master with his own golden eyes.

You have to make sure she understands. Only then will I be free. Will we be free. Raikyo nodded in understanding, still kneeling in front of the large cat. The only sound that could be heard was the deep exhale leaving Fairenz's nostrils followed with the closing of his large eyes. Fairenz mowed his head, and Raikyo bowed his too. The two heads touched, and the last thing Raikyo remembered seeing, was a blinding gold and blue flash.

...Am I....alive...?

No response came. Raikyo groaned and suddenly snapped to attention. His own groan was amplified in a loud echo. Even the smallest soud was amplified to the point that it sounded like a large thunder strike. Raikyo was careful this time and thought that instead of making any noise, he would just look around. The moment his eyes slit open, a flash of golden sunlight met him in return.

"Ah!"he yelped in surprise, hearing the amplification again. He was beginning to get angry, but when he blinked a couple of times, he finally saw where he was. His body was on the ground on a beautiful bed of soft, green grass. Raikyo continued to blink, though he could see crystal clear. He rubbed his eye with the back of his hand and took a chance to sit up.

"This is..."

"The meadow...yes." Raikyo winced when he heard the voice. He knew it was Yami, but that didn't mean he was going to face her, wherever she was. The revelation of his purpose there had finally crashed down on him.

"You know why I'm here, don't you?"he asked, no emotion in his voice.

"Yes, Raikyo. This day was going to come sooner or later. I am just surprised you held onto me this long."

"I didn't hang onto you at all!"he shouted back, throwing himself up and turning around slowly to see Yami standing behind him, hands clamped together by her lap. Her light brown tail was at her side with the red bow still tied at the end. Her brown ears were also visible over the long hair that waved in the wind. Raikyo was instantly saddened looking at her. He knew what he said was a lie, but he couldn't help himself.

"I know you're hurt. I know that seeing Fairenz dying was killing you. Why didn't you let me go before?"she asked.

"You think it was that easy, Yami? I loved you!"he shouted, hearing the amplified version of his voice. After saying that, Raikyo hesitated, eyes gradually growing in size at his use of the past-tense form of 'love'. Yami smiled from the corner of her mouth.

"You're starting."she said.​

Ayame blew out the candles and the incense in the temple,

She then wandered around a little more, she didnt want to go in forest

Because she knew she would probably see Raikyo, so she walked around a creek that was near by,

when she sat down in the grass a bunch of fire flies buzzed out and she smiled trying to touch some of them

they were so beautiful... she saw some by themselves and some in pairs.

Raikyo...

The way you felt for yami..

can you even feel it anymore? at all? love period?

where are you?

Raikyo stared at her again and felt a calming feeling in the pit of his stomach. Usually, since her loss, he was afraid to remember her face. Even when he saw her in the ramen shop, he was weak-kneed. But now, standing in the middle of the beautiful meadow, he looked in her eyes with no expression. He felt strong, able to withstand anything the demon girl threw at him. Yami still had a small smile on her lips as she made her way over to him.

"We could have been something, you know? The two of us...demons...both with a special gift. The Heiran could've used me all they wanted to...but as long as I had you, everything would've been worth it. Don't you feel the same, Raikyo?" Yami was face yo face with him. She was still perfect in every way: perfect golden eyes, skin, smile...

"No. What happened between you, me, and the Heiran is in the past now."

"But it wasn't inevitable. You could've saved me, Raikyo. I would still be alive."she said, showing no emotion just as he was, but this time, the small smile was gone and replaced with a blank expression. Raikyo mirrored her expression in return.

"I have spent many nights...crying into Fairenz's fur. Screaming that I was sorry for what they did to you. For being too weak to save you. But those nights are done. You are never...coming back."he said with finality, expression not wavering. Yami, on the other hand, only blinked once.

"There is a way... You could-"

"NO! I will NEVER kill my panther to bring you back! Fairenz is my friend!"he shouted in anger, eyes turning dark blue. Yami was shocked to see that change in him, but recovered quickly with her own heat of anger surrounding her.

"But I am your lover!"

"No you are NOT!"he shouted, eyes squinting closed. A moment of silence passed and Raikyo's eyes were still shut tightly. He opened them for a moment, looking down at the grass. "You're not. You are gone and that is final. You're never coming back and I accept that now. I know that I was too weak to protect you, and I'm sorry. But I can't rely on the past anymore. Yes...I did love you, Yami. But now...it's time to move on."he said with finality. He took a chance to look up at the demon, but Yami had only looked back him with a blank look.​

moon_1_web-large_medium.jpg

12:00 am.

Ayame looked up at the beautiful sky that surrounded her, the moon was right in the middle and she knew it was 12am.

"Happy birthday to me...Im a priestess now you know that? well a priestess in training.. " She said to a fire fly that for some reason

wouldn't leave her alone, it stayed close by her side, alone unlike the other Fire flies around him.

"Who are you.. did Raikyo send you to look after me.. so he wouldn't have to?" She giggled, thinking of Raikyo talking to a fire fly

She knew it wasn't the case.. but it was nice to pretend that for a little while, he was maybe thinking about her..

"What am I going to say to my lady priestess... Hi im here to train.. but I am in love with a demon.. is that okay?" She said shrugging and looking at the fire fly

"Oh I haven't even told you the best part.." She continued, as if the fire fly understood her, or was even eager to hear about it.

She lay herself completely in the grass and undid her bun, playing with the locks of her long black hair...

"I harbor one too.." She sighed looking up at the stars as the fire fly rested on her index finger, she was about to shoo it away, when she thought about it a moment..

"Hmm.. yes Raikyo Ill be your wife and have your children how many do you want? two? three? human or demon? or both?" She said looking at the fire fly as if it were some kind of ring, she couldn't help it, she busted out in a fit of laughter at this, startling the fire fly as if flew away for a second then returned beside her

Ayame stood "Lets go find him.. no.. lets let him find us" She said with detirmination to not go looking for him as she made her way to the other side of the creek, just far enough to see Takymarus house, where his mother kept the light on for her.

"So...you're finally letting me go."came Yami's voice. Raikyo knew it was a statement and not a question, but he answered it anyway.

"Yeah." There was a silence that followed the word. A silence that Raikyo thought would last forever. When he and Yami talked, their voices were loud and reached all of the corners of the meadow. It echoed off of invisible walls and grew louder and louder in his ears. But now, all that ensued after the word, was silence. Raikyo's eyes met Yami's for a moment. Turns out, the demon girl had not moved a muscle. She still had the same expression she did moments before, but she hadn't moved. Raikyo thought she had turned into a statue before the girl blinked once, and then gave him a weak willed smile.

"I see. And I am okay with that. Is there anything you'd like to know before I...you know..."she said. There was always one question that sat on his mind at times, He would think about it and think about it until it began to weigh him down on days. It was a simple yes and no question, but the only one who could answer it was Yami. And now that he got the chance to be with her for the last time...he could ask her. He could ask her if she loved him.

"No."he said. Yami blinked at him and let the answer sink in for a while.

"Understood. But Raikyo...there is one thing I want before I go...something I wanted to do for a long time. Something The Heiran took away from me."she said and moved closer to him. Raikyo was still, even when she placed a gentle hand on his chest. Her tail had moved to the side gracefully as she leaned in closer to him. Raikyo only looked down at her and quickly recognized the movement. However, when he thought she was close enough to do it, in a flash, he had seen Ayame's face. Every part of her face: from her large eyes, tiny little nose, and lips. Lips that he actually came in contact with before Lynx had arrived. The vision ended abruptly when he heard Yami whisper his name.

Raikyo closed his eyes for a moment, letting her lean in. He took a deep inhale through his nose and slowly began to feel the heat from her face get closer, until finally...

"No."he said. For some reason, even though he said it in a soft tone, it seemed to be the loudest thing he had ever heard in his life. Yami hesitated and opened her eyes which were now caked with sadness.

"Raikyo..."

"I can't."he said and took a step back away from her. Normally, this would've tore him apart, but then, that was all he wanted. To be away from her. Yami's face was a bowl of confusion.

"I understand you're scared, but-"

"I'm not scared. I just don't want to and I'm not going to. You told me that I am finally letting go and I did. Now it's your turn."he responded with a serious slit in his eyes. Yami was shocked to hear the words come from his mouth, but the expression left instantly.

"Thank you..." The voice was a mingle of Yami and Fairenz. That was the last thing Raikyo remembered hearing before the blast of gold and blue light flashed again, and everything in Raikyo's mind grew black.​

Ayame traveled with this Fire Fly across the long creek until the sun came up.

"He still hasn't come for us Yuki" She sighed, she named the Fire Fly just shortly after she found out it wasnt going to leave her alone.

"Maybe.. Maybe he"

Maybe he is with Lynx

Ayame blinked twice hard, her eyes went from hazel, to purple, to hazel again in an instant

"You will not take over me.. you will not define me" She said to herself, and as if it listened, she heard no more and it seemed to settle back down inside of her.

the buzzing from Yuki was bothering her ear now, and she tried shooing it away, by raising her hand and gently swatting it, but her hand went right threw Yuki.

Ayame blinked twice hard and rubbed her eyes as she tried once more.

"You mean to tell me.. your a demonic Fire Fly??!!" she practically yelled.

"So are you going to be like my guardian Like Fairenz is to Raikyo?.. can you talk too"

Ayame said softly, letting the fire fly once more lean on her finger.

"Hmm.. your strange Yuki. Come lets find Raikyo.. Im sick of this" She said as she got up and began to walk into the forest, the dragon fly following close behind.

"Raikyo!... Raikyo are you in here?" She exclaimed, moving leaves from branches and other things out of her way

"Raikyo.."

I miss you..

Raikyo!!!!

Is that my name...?

Raikyo, where are you!!

I'm...I don't know. I don't know where I am. It's dark...and I'm scared!

Raikyo...

No! Don't leave me!!

In a instant Raikyo shot up in a pathetic yelp, trembling from head to foot. He was covered in sweat and a sliver of it ran down his face. Raikyo wiped it away quickly, afraid at the feeling it caused. His spine shuddered when he found that he was alone in the forest. For some reason, it was pitch black.

"Fairenz...?"he asked in a light, innocent voice. His answer was the a large inhale of breath by a black mound beside him. Raikyo scrambled over to the mound and made out a large black panther curled in a ball. Raikyo felt slightly safer in the presence but the feeling was only fleeting when he remembered the voice he heard in his head. Raikyo was on his knees, tail wrapped around him in fear. For the first time, the cat demon was actually fearful of his surroundings.​

Ayame was getting discouraged

"Did he actually leave me here ...?" She thought outloud though in a whisper..

She felt tears swelling in her eyes.. she hated the fact that she felt like she needed him..

Why would he just leave me here?

"Raikyo!!" She screamed one more time "You dumb cat!! you left me here!!??" She screamed, as sniffles filled the air.

"FINE" she began walking out of the forest though the Fire Fly stayed.

.... "Yuki?" She said to the insect as it continued inside the forest, its light brighter now then ever

"Yuki.." She began to follow it deep inside.. it was pitch dark around them, but Yukis light was brighter then ever as it descended deeper

acting as if it knew exactly where it was going. Ayame tripped and fell over some loose weeds but got up quickly brushing it off

so not to loose the Fire Fly "Yuki where are we going!!?"

No reply, just the sound of its buzz, heading towards Raikyos direction

It was getting colder. Much colder than he had anticipated. His tail that was wrapped around him wasn't enough to sooth his cold, but he also sat close to Fairenz. Raikyo kept looking down at the cat to check up on him. Fairenz hadn't moved since Raikyo had awaken, and it was scaring him. He first thought the panther to be dead, but then the deep breathing was heard and Raikyo was instantly at peace...

...until the cold wind picked up.

Raikyo tried to stand to his feet at one point to exit the forest, but his head was spinning wildly each time he did so. The disorientation in his head was driving him insane, so he just kept where he was. The darkness got darker, and the wind picked up more, blowing his black hair around wildly.

"I wonder if she's alright..."he said aloud, knowing Fairenz couldn't hear him. "I left her...didn't I? But she was safe. How long was I gone?" Raikyo was a mess. He was dizzy, lost, and terrified: not his usual strong stubborn self. Raikyo let out a pathetic sigh and rolled down on the grass once more. He was about to drift off into a sleep when he saw an eerie orange light from afar. The light interested him so he sat up, rubbing his eye slowly.​

"Yuki!! what if something lurks here!" She whined as she drug herself further in,

She had no idea why she was even following the damned thing, for all she knew it was just trying to return home

Until she saw a flash of blue eyes...

The wind was picking up, and it sent a shiver up her spine.

"Raikyo..." she whispered running towards the eyes she saw

"Raikyo your okay!" she said jumping over Fairenz, she had just enough time to see him so not to trip over him

She rushed into raikyo's arms burying her face in his chest

"You left me " She said quietly, tugging on one of his ears to let her know she was still pissed

even though she couldn't help but be happy and feel grateful she found him

Raikyo was so surprised when the bright light got brighter. He peered through slit fingers an in second later, he heard the familiar sound of the girl he was thinking of.

"Raikyo you're okay!"she exclaimed and ran right into him. The impact had pushed him back a bit as he unconsciously had his arms open slightly, but they were open wide enough for her to fit into them. She buried her face in his chest and Raikyo only lay one hand across her back. The feelings he had before were still there, but he was still happy that she was alive and safe. Raikyo was about to explain what had happened until the girl tugged on his ear and claimed that he left her. Raikyo....was instantly pissed.

"Left you? What do you mean I left you!? You were unconscious! So if anyone left anyone it was you who left me! I was just going for a walk!"he exclaimed, eyes slanting down to glare at her. Though he was annoyed at her actions, an invisible small smirk still tugged at the corners of his mouth. He was still happy to see her. The feeling was brushed away quickly and he regained his annoyed composure, lightly pushing her away from him.

"And if anything, you were still with Takymaru and the priestess. So don't give me that crap."he said, kicking the black cat with a soft foot. "And you. Get up you lazy sack of bones."

The cat yawned once, stretching it's front paws and attracting and retracting it's claws out. Fairenz shook his head and opened his eyes to look at him. To Raikyo's surprise, his eyes were a brilliant shade of grey, almost like smoke. As a matter of fact, Fairenz looked completely different. His coat was glossier and light bounced around each black strand of fur. The cat even appeared to be younger in the structure of his face. Fairenz yawned again, rising up and bowing.​

tene.jpg

It's not laziness. I was tired, he replied, voice a lot lighter than before. Raikyo smiled at him and quickly stood up.​

Ayame stared at fairenz as she got up and walked over to the panther "fairenz!" She said petting his fur lightly "you.. you look so refreshed my love" she said going to knees and hugging the panther.. she really loved fairenz, if not for him ayame and raikyo would probably be living in a whole world full of sh*t.

Soon she heard a buzzing in her ear and shee reached behind her pulling the fire fly gently in her palms "this is yuki he helped me find you and that stubborn cat over there" she said glaring at raikyo from the corner of her eyes

"So raikyo.. I heard your going to kill me next time I turn... do I mean so little to you?"

He had no time for her silly games with insects and attitude. The night was drawing to a near...which only left one more thing:

He was going back to The Heiran tomorrow.

Raikyo tossed this thought over and and over around his mind, weighing all of the possibilities. Would they kill me on contact? No, they wouldn't. Lord wants me to be the one to kill Ayame and release the demon inside of her. Raikyo was pleased with that thought. As long as he had known the organization, he had never known them to be so quick to kill someone of the same demon stature. Plus, Raikyo was rare. He didn't want to tell Ayame all of this, but the Heiran had once wanted him for the same reason the wanted Yami: He had a gift.

And that gift...was Fairenz.

Raikyo was known, as the Cat Demon. A cat demon isn't just a demon who looks like a cat, but who has the ultimate control over the cat species. It doesn't seem to thrilling to know you have a bond with cats...but Fairenz wasn't just a panther. Fairenz was a vessel of strength, peace, and prosperity. He was the cat of wisdom, the one who could tell no lies. Originally, The Heiran was an establishment to harbor demons and teach them of their gifts. It was somewhat like a school for demons. The original Lord Miatetsu was the overseer of the whole establishment, and at his side, was a small kitten panther. Fairenz always stuck to Miatetsu's side, strolling the premises and caring for the children. Then, when rumor spread that humans had spotted the campus, a group of demon students from the Heiran took it upon themselves to kill them all. Miatetsu and Fairenz were so devastated, that they wiped out the demons who did so years after the incident, in an attempt to wash their consciousness from human blood.

Generations passed, and the blood lines of the rebel demons grew and grew...and with the murder of the Lord Miatetsu and the flee of Fairenz, the new Lord came and set out on a search for the human that bonded with a demon....Ayame and Raikyo. Luckily for Raikyo, he stumbled upon Fairenz...

"....so little to you?"

Raikyo snapped his head towards Ayame.

"Wait...huh? I wasn't...listening."he admitted.​

Ayame had had enough

"I guess that answers that"

She said storming off with the fire fly following behind her swiftly as if he was angry as well

"You hold on to everything yami says but when I speak it means nothing" she said as she scratching the tree next to her vreating a gap in it as her eyes flickered purple

But she controlled it as she stormedoff

Raikyo had enough of being the nice guy. He tolerated and tolerated every little thing that this girl did or ever caused to happen. He clenched his teeth at times, bit his tongue, boiled his fist; He practically did everything in his power not to lash out at her. But, as she began to storm away into the forest at night, Raikyo was enraged. His eyes shut down quickly to its dark blue color, almost blending in to the night. She was a human, and he never fought this hard not to kill a human, no matter what effect she may have on him.

His hand shot out and grabbed Ayame by the color, yanking her roughly. Raikyo spun the girl once and made her face him. Raikyo's eyes burned into hers with very high intensity. He wanted her to see that he wasn't kidding around when he said the next words that were going to come from his mouth. But, before they did, Raikyo's left ear twitched. The eye contact wasn't enough. With that thought in mind, he pushed her beside her shoulder and walked forward until he back was against a large tree. He then slammed his palm on the tree next to her head.

"You better stay still and listen because I'm only gonna say this one time."he warned, glaring at her. "I know how you feel about me, you said it a million times now. Did I ever once deny it? Did I ever say, 'No, Ayame, you don't love me.' No, I didn't. For your information, I am not holding onto her anymore. I finally let her go. Do you know how hard that was for me? Would you be able to leave the love of your life go? Would you be able to let me go?"he pressed on. Ayame didn't answer any of his rhetorical questions, so he just continued, leaning in more.

"The only reason I let her go...apart from saving my panther...is because my feelings have changed because of something I found recently." He said, eyes slanting slightly more. "Why are you so blind to that?"he asked. The question lay in the air for a moment before Raikyo blinked once, eyes lightening slightly.

"That promise you made before...?"he said, blinking slowly as the wind picked up and blew his hair to the side.

"Break it."​

Ayame had never been more scared in her life... atleast not of raikyo..

His words seared into her soul as he told her what he had done

And pointed out feelings he had that may have been obvious to him.. but not Ayame.

He had learned to hide feelings so well..

Assuming he had Lots of practice after Yami's death.

His last words startled her a bit

He wanted her to break the promise she had made..? To not.. get too intimate with him?

He was the last person she expected to hear that from

She thought about it.. long and hard

Moments turned into what seemed like minutes though it was only a few

Seconds

Finally.

Ayame slowly Looked up at Raikyo...

"You break it for me"

She whispered as she slowly rapped her hands around his neck bringing herself closer

she was tired of always chasing him

Chase me Raikyo.

Raikyo caught her hands as they wrapped around his neck. He stared at her with an intensity he didn't know he had in him. His eyes scanned over her face momentarily as his eyes lapped at her hair, eyes, nose, and lips. He noticed when they widened in surprise at his sudden movements. He held both of her wrists tightly in his palms, gazing down at her. Thoughts and desires tumbled around his mind that he didn't want to straighten out. He no longer cared about what she wanted or what was going to happen. Consequences were thrown out the window when he heard the throbbing of his heart beneath the flimsy, black shirt. Still holding her hands in his own, he dropped them and cupped one hand under her chin, drawing her face hungrily close to her.

Raikyo fought hard not to let out a low growl of impatience, but it escaped anyway when her mouth landed on his. Their lips touched and on contact, his eyes slid close. It was just as he remembered: her lips were like soft rose petals rolling around on his own. Though the beating of his heart was throbbing uncontrollably, Raikyo unconsciously wrapped his hand around the small of her back.

He was surprised to find that her lips parted along with his own, giving him permission to dive in; which he did. His tongue explored different areas of her mouth that he had never fathomed. He continued to explore her more, kissing her deeper and more passionately which each passing second. The kiss was a drug that he needed to live. His heart rose and fell along with hers as his body shifted to meet her own. He felt her shuddered beneath his strength which only heightened his desire to control her. Sure, he had kissed Yami before, but it was nothing like this. Her kisses were bland and filled with appreciation. Ayame's was fueled with desire and the hunger for more. Yami's required her dainty pink lips, but Ayame's required the employment of his entire body.

A fleeting feathery feeling bobbed like large waves in Raikyo's chest as he forced himself to back up. He backed away in ragged breaths, chest heaving up and down as he held onto to the tree for support. He avoided looking at her, afraid he might attack her again and again and again. Instead, he pretended to be straightening out his shirt, looking away from her as he tried to steady his breathing.​

The kiss was more than Ayame had ever asked of Raikyo...

There was so much tensity, desire, passion, and ultimately becoming besides oneself

It was all a lot to handle.. she heard the low growl that escaped his mouth,

the way he forced his body against hers, the way he over powered her..

The way she wanted him to..

The kiss was long overdue.. the intimacy was long overdue.

And thats why it was so intense.

She was addicted now more than before, even though he wouldn't look at her

She took deep breaths slowly gazing up at him, Leaning her weight against the tree behind her as he did

She wasn't offended he had snatched away, if he wouldn't have, things might have gotten out of hand.

Ayame was one to talk about everything.. but right now.. the silence spoke for itself..

The near whispers of there breathing spoke for them.. along with the lust in the air.

I love you too..

Raikyo's breath became more and more steady as time passed. The thudding of his heart slowed to nothing but a mere bumping, but the rush of what happened was still burning like white fire through his mind. His body felt so...natural against hers. Every inch of her was a new cavern to explore and he only got to experience a piece of it. He found himself thirsting for more and more, ears twitching and tail swaying in the darkness. Despite that, he had only exhaled, regaining himself so as not to seem weak in front of her.

"I'm not saying I love you. I'm not saying I don't."he said quietly, but loud enough for it to reach her ears. "There is a lot about you I don't know but I am telling you this right now, Ayame, I am going...to find out." He turned around so quickly that it was like he had never turned away. He continued on, taking dangerous steps towards her, eyes darkening. "I will find out what makes you tick the most. What makes you smile and laugh. What makes you blush and what makes you cry. I'm going to find out your favorites, your dislikes, your peeves, your dreams." He pushed her against the tree with his chest only, and immediately felt triumphant to see the surprised look on her face as he leaned his body against hers.

"I will find out your fantasies."he whispered, leaning in towards her hair. "Your deepest secrets."he said, whispering into the strands of hair as he made his way down to her ear. "Your wildest desires."he said roughly, breath lingering on her neck longer than he intended. The demon was now becoming restless. He had expressed himself now more than ever. Fairenz's aura was once detected atop of a tree but the instant Raikyo noticed it, it was gone in a split second, the cat bounding off to do his own bidding. Raikyo stood there, running his nose across her hair, indulging in the smell of her.​

A shiver ran up her spine as the thought of him wanting to know her

inside and out.. it rushed threw her head.. threw her veins..

How close they were, the was he pushed her against the tree..

What could she say?

What was she supposed to say??

She sighed slowly... running her fingers up his abdomen, until they rested on his chest..

"I wanna know you too..everything" She said quietly..

The thought of knowing the things like his desires and his fantasies.. along with his

secrets and everything else made her breath quicken a little more..

The thought of Fairenz went threw her mind

but as quickly as it came, it went.. she couldn't sense him like Raikyo,

But she just felt hey were alone now..

all she felt was Raikyo up against her..

Surrounded by only him and darkness.