The Price of Protection

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"You guys, She's in good hands promise."

Raikyo and Fairenz exchanged glances.

She seems honest enough.

It's the boy I'm worried about.

He seemed honest enough, also. He is just slightly misunderstood.

He shot her, Fairenz!

Indeed,
he responded with a small nod, walking from the room along with Raikyo and Takymaru. But that does not mean his intentions weren't good. He was just mistaken.

His mom was right...I should've killed him.

Now now, Master...

Raikyo snorted and made his way to a living room, following Takymaru. He couldn't help but twist his fingers in thought of Ayame's help. Thinking of Ayame was the only medicinal effect for curing his thoughts of Yami. As soon as the name passed his mind, he flinched again. No, Raikyo. NO.

About an hour or so past before the lady came out of the room, She washed her hands and smiled at the boys

"She needs to rest here at least for tonight.. She is lucky, that arrow barely missed her main artery"

The lady said again glaring at her son "I cant wait until your father gets home from that trip, I cant deal with you!" She said going in the kitchen

"Just because you have a bow and arrow doesnt mean you know how to use it TAKYMARU! she yelled from the kitchen once more"

Takymaru sunk in his seat looking at Raikyo and the panther once more with apologetic eyes.

"Are you hungry?" she said to the whole lot of them.

Raikyo was rudely reminded, yet again, of Yami when the woman had asked him if he were hungry. He remembered the miso, her arrival, but everything after that became fuzzed and disoriented. It was like the clear picture of staring at her was suddenly smeared like a painting on a canvas. Fairenz lay on the carpet and nuzzled his head on top of one of his large paws.

The more you think of it, the more it will hurt.

Raikyo chose not to answer the cat. It was only another headache awaiting to happen.

"No, mam. I just want to rest is all."he said, closing his eyes and pretending to yawn.​

"Of course" The woman said showing him to a private room, close to ayame,

Since it was an old style japanese house, the walls were thin, the candle in ayames room was enough

To give off her silhoutte which he could plainly see

The lady purposely put him there,so he could see her and know she was safe.

She gave Fairenz a fluffy rug to lay on when he pleased and she shoo'ed her son away so not to disturb the many further.

But the boy found a way.

After his mother was asleep he crept into raikyos room

"PSSST!" he said slightly louder then was nessesary

"Hey you awake?"

Would you like for me to keep an eye on her, Master?

"No. Just go to sleep. You've had a rough day, buddy."he said aloud while scratching behind Fairenz's ear. In truth, Raikyo also had a rough day. That was one of the reasons he didn't respond to the cat internally. He was battered up with scratches and dried blood caked around his skin and clothing. He needed to bathe in some sort of lake soon, and also find some new clothing. That was all hard to come by these days. Raikyo didn't enjoy wearing human clothing so much, but the jeans he had were almost shorts now.

On occasion, he would glance beside him through the curtained while to look at the silhouette of Ayame and made sure that she was okay. Her aura was a rise and fall of breathing, so he knew her healing process was coming along nicely. Raikyo silently thanked the woman nurse for healing her and made a mental note to thank her properly once he exited the house.

But first..he had to bathe and find some new clothes.

"PSSSSST! Hey, you awake?" came the voice of Takymaru. A malevolent smile melted in onto Raikyo's face. Perfect.

"I need your clothes."he said roughly with a single blink.​

Takymaru Looked at raikyo confused.. surely not expecting the quick reply he got.

"Sure.." He said standing to his feet quitetly

"Come to my room I think we are the same size... and if you want I can start a bath" He said shrugging

Even thought takymaru's intentions to save the 'human' who actually turned out to be a demon's life. It didnt excuse the fact that he had hurt someone, let alone a human

No..let alone a girl.

and when his father got home he would have his head, so he planned to kiss Raikyo's ass until Ayame was better and they were on there way.

"Whats your favorite color?" He whispered opening his closet,

"I don't have a favorite color."he muttered when he followed Takymaru into his room. He really didn't care about what he wore, as ling as he would get out of the clothes he currently trudged around in. He glanced over the room once noting of how messy it was. Humans, he thought. At the mention of a bath, Raikyo's ears twitched. He had never had a bath in a human house before. Raikyo had always bathed in a lake or river or something.

"You mean...in a human bath place?"he replied, watching Takymaru scavenge his rooms for spare clothes for Raikyo to wear. He was quite interested in the human experience so he sat down and let his tail wave anxiously across the floor, much like the motion Fairenz would do when he sat back on his hind legs.​

Takymaru pulled out some dark jeans much like the ones Raikyo was already wearing, just newer and no rips and a black shirt as well

He had always pictured demons as these dark creatures.. so he didnt really glance it the brighter section of clothes in his closet but rather the ones

in shades he thought suitable for killing machines like demons..

and probably Raikyo.

"Here" he said throwing raikyo the clothes. "The shirt might fit you loosely.. you know because I stretched it out what with my muscles and all"

The kid said flexing, of course there was no muscles there but he loved to joke around like there were

and what better time to try and lighten a mood but when you accidently almost kill a demons .. girlfriend?

He then walked across the hall to the in ground bath rub which was visible from his room and turned on the hot water

which flowed silently and quickly.

He looked back at raikyo and squinted his eyes,

"Yea.. like in a human bath place.. you never get tired of bathing in rivers? where fish could probably swim up your butt?" He said laughing a little and

reaching inside a closet, handing raikyo a towel and a cloth

"Theres already soap and stuff in there.. so.. just call if you need anything" He said shrugging and looking at raikyo's ears,

He wanted to touch them, but thought it was in his best interest not to.

Raikyo's ears were on a twitching frenzy. All of Takymaru's statements and jokes only further pulled at Raikyo's curiosity and confusion. He had stated that he had muscles but when he showed them, there were none to be found. Raikyo had only squinted at the boys eyes to determine whether the human was blind or not, but he clearly was not. Then he had led Raikyo into a small room. The room was very compact. It had some strange bowl edged into the ground followed by a bigger bowl that looked to be shape like a bean. That also was wedged into the ground. Raikyo walked into the room tentatively and jumped when he caught movement to the left of him.

He looked and saw himself stare at him in return. Raikyo's head tilted to the right, ears flopping slightly as he poked the strange glass. The other demon mimicked his very motion, even his facial expressions! Raikyo's nose wrinkled and the demon in the glass did the same. The copying had interested Raikyo and he was about to say something until Takymaru had interrupted with talk of his regular bathing.

"Lakes are safe. And I am a cat. Do you think I have problem with fish?"he asked with a raised eyebrow. Takymaru didn't answer his questions. Instead he mentioned something about some weird thing called 'soap' and handed Raikyo fuzzy cloths. Without even mentioning how everything worked, the boy had left and closed the door, leaving Raikyo trapped in the closed room alone.

He had stood for a moment, temporarily glancing at himself in the magic glass. He set the clothes down on the round bowl and walked over to the giant bean. His tail swayed as he noticed 3 circular dials. Once again, his curiosity had caused him to reach out and tugged on the dial. That motion did not have any effect, so he decided to turn it...

...and a splash of searing hot water cascaded onto his head.

Raikyo hissed in surprise and crouched down in a pouncing motion, hissing at the flow of devil, burning water that spewed from a silver knob above his head.​

( LOL Awwwwwwww thats soooooo cute!!!) LOL

As soon as Takymaru had walked out he heard the hissing noise so he rushed back in

"Raikyo whats the issue??" he said looking at the Demon, then at the water then at the mirror that the cat looked even MORE frightened as he seen himself.

Ah.

He giggled and crossed his arms sighing.. "How do I explain this.."

He pointed at the mirror "This is your reflection... you know how if you look into um.. a lake you can see yourself? that's what this mirror does, same effect, its harmless. Its you for christ sakes"
he said laughing a little.

He then turned to the nob and turned it the other direction making the water stop. "THIS is where the water comes from as im sure your aware now." he said crouching down and pointing "and this is SOAP. you take this" He said grabbing the wash cloth "You drop it in the water to get it wet, then you take the soap, and rub it into the wash cloth, it will make lather.. with this lather you rub it all over your body.. vigorously, and then when your sure you have cleaned everything you wash off... ALL OF THIS is done in the tub" He said pointing to the bath.

Then when your finished- and you can do it as much as you want. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. then you get out and with this" he said taking the towel and holding it up "You simply dry off and VOILA! your done" he said taking a much needed breath after explaining. "You got it?"

Soap. Towel. Tub. Lather. Reflection. Rinse.

Raikyo nodded at Takymaru's explanation of how the things in the room worked. He still wore the puzzled expression on his face, though now he had a better understanding. When Takymaru had finally ended his explanation of the bathing process, Raikyo had settled down once more, ears loosening and tail slowly falling down in a limp.

"Yes, I understand now. Thanks."he replied quickly, motioning for the boy to leave him. Takymaru had walked from the room and Raikyo was alone in the room again. Raikyo looked to the left at the reflection glass and blinked twice, smiling. He had to admit, he enjoyed this reflection, just as much as he did when he looked in the water. Then, he noticed he was pretty banged up. There were scratches on his face and blood splatter across his neck. Even his tail was blood stained when he curled it around his waist.

He made his way back to the tub and turned the necessary dials. It turned out that one dial was for hot water and the other was for cold water. Raikyo experimented and played with it until he was satisfied with a temperature. He then undressed and stepped into the tub. The water pelted on him and he was still shocked at the whole ordeal. When he bathed in a lake, he mainly swam. He never had water cascade down onto him, except for in the rain. Raikyo stood still, shivering slightly until he got used to the calming water. Putting one careful foot in front of the other until his head was directly under the valve. He giggled when the droplets fell on his face, drenching his black hair.

And Ayame does this every day?

At the mention of her name, he opened his eyes, still looking upward at the water falling on him. She was being chased all over the place, just to extract some sort of dormant demon inside of her. It would be easy to take out the demon...if the demon was in AYAME. Raikyo looked down, letting the water splash on the back of his head.​

Ayame eyes slowly opened as she looked around at her surroundings.. for a second she forgot where she was until she remembered that ladies face... she sat up and looked around.. as the covers fell she noticed she had been undressed because the kimono she wore was pure white and silk.. very light and comfortable. She looked uner it and noticed that her side had bandages that went all the way around her waste.. she didn't feel paint, but she did feel a little weak..probably from blood lost.

"You okay?" The lady walked in smiling and putting a bowl of soup in front of her sitting down and runing her fingers through ayames hair

"Gosh your hair is long sweety.. longer then mine!" She said smiling and removing it from ayames face. Ayame smiled brightly.. her personality had returned to her..she felt refreshed.

"So now that your up...mind explaining why you travel with a demon?"

Ayame looked down at her soup.. stirring it gradually... "well because... he..we .."

"From what my son says your were close to killing him!" The lady went on.

"... I don't remember" she said begining to eat.

She didn't want to.

The bath didn't take long because Raikyo was starting to feel worried about Ayame.

Is she still sleeping? How is she felling? Does she even remember what happened? Is she mad at me? What if the wound got infected. *gasp* What if that woman INFECTED the wound!? I'll KILL HER!!!

Raikyo vigorously wiped himself with the large towel that Takymaru handed him before his lovely bath, put on the dark jeans and black shirt, and quickly rushed from the bathroom. He navigated his way around the house pretty quickly just by picking up Ayame's scent and aura. Once he found the room he burst in. Immediately, his eyes widened when he saw he wide awake and dressed in a new, fresh kimono.

"Ayame!"he exclaimed, both hands on each sides of the door frame.​

Ayame blinked twice at him.

"Raikyo.." She said in a soft slightly weak voice.

The woman got up smiling at Raikyo

"He has been worried about you since you guys got here which wasnt very long ago.."

She said looking back at her "Your lucky to have someone who cares about you so much..

you two should try not trying to kill each other once and a while though.. it tends to mess up relationships"

She continued as she began to walk out the room "Ayame finish that soup im going to bring you some tea in a bit and change your bandages. and raikyo if you need some new bandages for your face just let me know." The lady ordered then she dissapeared down the hall.

Ayame blinked at the demon.. he looked refreshed. He also had on a change of clothes... he looked good.

Raikyo was glad the woman was gone. Everyone kept interrupting his thoughts and words. All he wanted was to discuss what happened with Ayame and Ayame alone. The woman had left them and was saying something, but Raikyo was paying no further attention to her. He let her walk out and immediately ran down and knelt next to her, grabbing the bowl of soup from her hands.

"Howareyoufeeling?Doesitstillhurt?"he asked in a rushed and worried voice. When Ayame only blinked back at him, he figured that it did sound like a jumble of vowels and syllables.

"Sorry."he apologized. Raikyo had paused and looked up at her, ear twitching. Did I just apologize to her that quickly? His mouth wouldn't keep shut. He didn't know if it were from pure joy that she was alright or if he wanted to talk

"I know you might be confused, but I can explain. Fairenz told me that the Heiran are getting...restless. They want you. Bad."he said in a serious tone, not taking his eyes from hers. "They're getting desperate now, Ayame. They're even going so far as to pull my personal lief and memories into the situation. I have noticed a pattern so far. They want me to be the one that kills you and releases the demon laying dormant in you. Because, apparently, I'm the one that makes you mad the most."he whispered, looking down momentarily in silence at the fact.

"They constructed someone to take the form of her."he added, then quickly bit his tongue and sputtered, "Yami. They added an evil miasma to her and I fell for it like a small little puppy. They knew what seeing her would do to me, and that was exactly what they wanted! It don't remember specifically what happened, but I do know that she told me to kill you, and I was going to obey her. I couldn't...say no. I could do nothing."he said. All the while, Raikyo was slowly getting more infuriated at the entire well-rounded fact that they were toying with him.

"I was going to hurt you!"he shouted suddenly, looking back up at Ayame with darkened eyes. He wanted to appear mad, but his expression was a mixture of pain and anger. "They used my feelings against me...and I nearly killed you. Who's to say I will be stronger next time? Who's to say I won't do it again?"he asked, more to himself than her.​

Ayame was quiet for a few moments as she listened to Raikyo...

It was a fact. Raikyo was the only one that could make her mad.. because he was the only person

Right now that she gave a damn about

She looked down a few seconds and then back at him. trying to keep her sanity and composure

she was taking every measure to make sure she didnt get angry enough to release that demon.

Any measure.

She noticed it was becoming easier and easier.. the more she got angry the easier it was for the demon to come out

it was slowly.. devouring her.

"Look... Just do what you have to to defeat them okay? then You can go on about your business... loving someone who doesn't exist any longer and being

mad at the world okay?" She said looking down..

she was indeed dissapointed in him.

"I understand its hard to let people go... that you care about so much.. especially for a demon... so I cant fault you.

I can only fault myself for thinking you ever cared for me the way I did for you... I can never compete with yami, after all Im still alive.."

Ayame says as a tear rolls down her cheek

Even in death... her love still haunts you.

"So if you kill me you kill me.. if we win we win... and we will leave it at that okay? dont dwell on things that dont matter to you... "

You've proven to be so naive Raikyo.. and I can never change you..

"I know your probably not listening.. you always drowned me out.. you think I dont know this?... But you listened to every word that imitation said.. you were going to kill me Raikyo..

Over a copy" She continued as her voice shook.

"Love is truly blind... and love, loves no one!" She exclaims turning away from him and laying down on her side that is not wounded.

Any moment now...

Raikyo was preparing himself to rid her of her rambling.he hated when she rambled like that. Always, constantly, talking. It was a feat how she could even managed to breathe during the escapade!

Any moment. Right abouttt...

The moment never did come how ever. The demon only sat cross-legged on the floor next to her and followed her with his eyes. Sometimes she would gaze up at him with sadness painted in her eyes, and other times she would look away. She even mentioned the fact that he was going to interrupt her but she didn't care of it. Raikyo was expecting himself to intervene in her ramblings, but it never came. He only listened. He actually listened to every word she was saying, and processed her thoughts and feelings along with her words. The strange thing was that they didn't match up.

Finally, after concluding with her last statement of love, she turned away from him and lay on her side. It seemed like she was aiming to make him feel cut off from her by not facing him. Raikyo looked down at her and waited for what felt like 2 minutes. He was awaiting some sort of word or motion from her, but she only lay still.

The demon's face held a blank expression as he moved downward into a lying position. He lay exactly as she did, but only...different. Raikyo had scooted his body close to hers. He maneuvered his arm to wrap around her stomach, pulling her close to him as he lay behind her. Her hair met his face, a few strands tickling his nose. All he could smell was her scent, and all he could see was the black strands of hair. Raikyo closed his eyes and let out a small sigh.

"Can we stay like this...just for a little while?" It was surprising how weak he sounded...but also how strong he felt.​

Ayame blushed fiercely when she felt the demon so close to her..

She expected him to walk away after she was done talking...

her hands trembled a little.. could she deny it anymore

Its nothing she planned.. not that she could've even if she wanted to

But she was in love with Raikyo..

So much... every time he breathed against her.. every time she heard his heart against her chest..

she knew..

Her bangs covered her eyes thinking of how she could probably never be with him the way she wanted to..

She knew she had said it before, but if she didn't mean it back then then she meant it now

"I love you.. Raikyo" she said quietly as she snuggled against him..

We can stay like this an eternity if you want.

A triumphant smile spread across the demon's lips and he sighed once more, breathing in the smell of her.

That was all the answer I needed.

Only a short amount of minutes had passed until the demon wandered off into a deep sleep. The sleep came abruptly. The last thing he remembered was nuzzling her hair with his nose. The smell was no longer a horrible stench of human flesh and blood. Now, it was something so ordinary that being around it was now second nature to him. It had became his oxygen. If he were away from it, he would probably grow weak and whither slowly. Raikyo blinked slowly, still inhaling deeply, tiny sighs escaping his mouth when he continued to think of it.

What does all of this mean...?

His answer was interpreted by the drowsiness that followed with his relaxation. before driving off, he tightened his grip around her waist. Unconsciously, the light blue sparkles of his healing aura were released in small pulses. He did not mean to do it, but at the time, all Raikyo could do was melt into the girl in front of her. Melt into her breaths, her scent, and...

....he was asleep.​

With the morning came a light that shone threw the thin curtains on the window next to Ayame and Raikyo.

Ayame blinked twice slowly looking up at the light

Raikyo was still here, and as if a weight had been lifted along with her confession, and the clarity it brought to her mind,

Her wound didn't hurt much at all.. She remembered the sparkling blue aura that had surrounded the two last night, but she didnt put much thought into it

As the rhythm of his breaths had lulled her to sleep.

He had healed her.

She sat up slowly and looked down at him, removing random strands of long black hair from his eyes.

She leaned down and kissed his cheek gently before getting up slowly out of his grasp and tip toeing out of the room, passing fairenz and the others,

to the bathing room, where her kimono fell to the ground.. and she slowly unraveled the bandages from her wound...

It was as if they were never there.

Raikyo..