The Mirror World

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
It also has evidence in how speed-type characters/decks/armies/strategies are almost always superior to slower, more defensive ones.

It also has evidence in how speed-type characters/decks/armies/strategies are almost always superior to slower, more defensive ones.
Then I'm not too sure what you asked ^^' Sure, all three sides could be used outside of battle, but your original question asked if defensive moves can be used as offensive moves and cause damage, to which both Kingofheart and I said yes and why. Then you started saying that offensive is better, defensive can't deal damage, and that castles are great defensive but not offensive, which isn't necessarily true. While the castle alone is defensive, the people within are offensive. A castle, given the right time period, was considered almost impossible to penetrate, especially during a siege. The castle would have archers all along the walls and roof, it also has people dumping tar on the sieging army, those exiting the castles to fight, those fighting inside the courtyard if some manage to get inside, etc. Sieges almost never succeeded, and when they did, the casualties would be large and almost not worth it. And the last statement of slower and defensive can't last against speed is wrong too. Think of the Gladiators (or Spartans, not sure which). They had the numbers, and the defense. When charging, their front lines moved slowly, shields next to each other, creating an almost impenetrable line. Once close enough to their opposing army, who were running in full charge, they would use the shields as weapons, thrusting the heavy wood and metal into the person charging, thinking the could get through. One or two strong hits will kill that person. Those that managed to get behind the front line would be met with arrows from the back line. Those who survived would be fought with the mid line, swords and other melee weapons in hand, possibly on the backs of horses. We've taken this technique for riots. Police officers use riot shields as they line up in preparation for a riot. Then they'd move slowly towards the rioters, and slowly surround them. The don't hit the people as hard as the Gladiators (or Spartans) but they still use the shields in a similar manner. Those who made it past would be squirted with fire hoses. And those that past the fire hoses were wrestled to the ground and arrested. So going back to my original statement, I'm lost. We answered your question but it seems you already had an answer.... in this post, I tried to explain how defensive can be offensive, which was your original question, but it's up to you to decide which you prefer.

I got here a bit late, been offuscated by a programming excersise -_-.

That aside I would have said much of the same, although I was particularly surprised at hearing about a police example. Besides you could say defense and offense play different roles and when combined is when they perform their best. a full offensive assault is perhaps as reckless as fully defensive take. This is why we see defense in offense and offense in defense, for example: reducing the numbers of the enemies before they even reach you and I´d like to accentuate that the archers in a castle do as much, while it is offensive it stills falls into a defensive playground. The important difference here to make is that offensive tactics or skills will focus to prey on or aggravate a foe (even if they retain a small ammount of defense), while defensive will aim to withstand (even if they retain an ammount of offense).

You don't seem to know what Siege means. A siege refers to when you cut off all trade into and out of the castle, and force them into surrender by starving them. If you do a siege properly, you shouldn't be losing a single man. I might be using the wrong word for it, but no other word pops into mind at least. Only reason I brought it up is cos I was thinking about the expression earlier and then coincidentally, someone brought it up.

You don't seem to know what Siege means. A siege refers to when you cut off all trade into and out of the castle, and force them into surrender by starving them. If you do a siege properly, you shouldn't be losing a single man. I might be using the wrong word for it, but no other word pops into mind at least. Only reason I brought it up is cos I was thinking about the expression earlier and then coincidentally, someone brought it up.
Isn't that a blockade? I thought a siege is when a group attacks another for something they want. Case in point, with the castle example, charging the castle in order to gain the inhabitants land. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought it was ^^' As for starving people out, the blockade could still fail if done properly, just has a lesser chance of doing so.

I'm going to get the group up hopefully tomorrow ^^ I got the concept sketch done for the Mirror World. I also got a lot of references so I can draw all the backgrounds and characters. But the drawing is basically all I need besides the towns and cities (and possible landmarks). I have the basic idea of what the island will look like, what the school would look like, etc. I also know how the Voids will look, and the style I'm going with. All of those where the last things that were needed before I could make the group. I'm waiting on a reply from some Iwaku staff with a question I had, and once I get it, I can proceed with creating the group without a hitch ^^

Reactions: a touch of dread
Only reason a blockade (I thought I'd used the wrong word) would fail is if there's significant enough change in the rest of the war that the army causing the blockade has to do something else. Well, except for one situation which I find quite amusing. The army causing the blockade had less food than the army inside the castle did, and the army inside the castle ended up sending gifts of expensive meats out to the blockading army to taunt them :D

Sounds good. Have you got appearances for our characters pre-done or are you going to make character designs based on what we choose?

Reactions: AnastiaCrest01
Only reason a blockade (I thought I'd used the wrong word) would fail is if there's significant enough change in the rest of the war that the army causing the blockade has to do something else. Well, except for one situation which I find quite amusing. The army causing the blockade had less food than the army inside the castle did, and the army inside the castle ended up sending gifts of expensive meats out to the blockading army to taunt them :D

Sounds good. Have you got appearances for our characters pre-done or are you going to make character designs based on what we choose?
I'm going to make character designs based on what you chose. My characters, Jonah and Stella, will be the example models so you guys know what the style will look like ^^ It's a simple style that should be easy to animate, but it's also appealing to the eye, or at least it is to mine ^^' And actually, now that I think about it, can the characters you guys make be from the island? I wanted them from all over the world, but then I started wondering about voice acting. I can do a little bit of some accents, like British, but that's it. And my boyfriend can't do accents almost at ^^' So it'd be kinda difficult if we have characters from all over with various accents and patterns of speech.

I dare you to try and do a British accent in my presence. Bad British accents are one of the few things that can make me genuinely pissed off. On the other hand, I think we should have people from all over because it'd be hilarious if each character had the stereotypical slightly racist accent of their home nation.

I dare you to try and do a British accent in my presence. Bad British accents are one of the few things that can make me genuinely pissed off. On the other hand, I think we should have people from all over because it'd be hilarious if each character had the stereotypical slightly racist accent of their home nation.
I can't even do stereotypical, and I'd like to avoid that if I can ^^' After all, there will be comedic moments but it's not a comedy, thus the accents will then stop being funny and start being offensive. As for British, I'm not terrible. I think I'm okay, but I know I'm not bad. I love acting (hence my love for RPing) and things like certain accents and some silly voices just come natural to me. I just have stage frieght so I don't like acting on a stage. But even in random conversation, half the time I won't realize it, I'll end up speaking in an accent, mostly either British or er... Country? It's not exactly Southern, though that's what it's called. It's uh more Western though. Anyway, those two accents kinda make sense to come naturally. My great grandma is British and I was born in Texas. I spent about two years there, which is during the language development stage. So I could have picked up on those accents. But that's just a guess ^^' All I know is that those two accents are very natural to me.

You don't usually develop your accent when you're that young. Immerse anyone in a certain accent for long enough and they'll change to that accent. Being able to do a certain accent without being immersed in the environment is simply a matter of talented mimicry.

You don't usually develop your accent when you're that young. Immerse anyone in a certain accent for long enough and they'll change to that accent. Being able to do a certain accent without being immersed in the environment is simply a matter of talented mimicry.
Maybe ^^ I'm not really sure. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. I noticed it when I would sing songs done by a band from another country (mainly with Aqua). I'd be singing it, and I soon realized that I'd be singing it in the accent they were. No matter how hard I tried to stop, I couldn't until well after the song unless I just stopped singing altogether. Then the accents started dappling my speech. Um, I think it's been like that since I was maybe 4? My mom would always put on music to get me to fall asleep, and I'd sing until I did ^^' No lullabies either. She'd put on a burnt CD with Go Away Jack, These Boots, 123, ABC, etc. Whatever the case, I don't really consider it a talent because I can only do some accents, and not heavily.

If it's the same singers every night then you'd probably pick up some elements of their accents. I used to have a ridiculously posh accent but since I started attending a "poor person" school (I can't remember the proper name) I've picked up elements of that accent and now it's a weird kind of hybrid between half posh half broad yorkshire. I'll still pronounce every syllable but I also drop " h " and " t " quite a lot. Since I started watching anime to the extent that about half of all audio I heard was Japanese, I've also started finding it more difficult to say English words properly - the ones that contain hard consonants that aren't followed by a vowel.

Reactions: AnastiaCrest01
I'm way late to the conversation, but this would be SO cool, though I doubt anyone wants an Australian character, I'm Australian and my accent is honestly the bane of my life.

Poor person school? You mean public school? I just saw that and I was like "what is a poor person school. OH." yeah I went to a poor person school.

Reactions: a touch of dread
Well I was going to write public school but over in England, a "Public school" is a school you have to pay to attend. So is a Private School. It's about the most confusing thing ever.

Dang that sucks, over here public school is about 60 dollars a year, but paying it is optional.

I'm way late to the conversation, but this would be SO cool, though I doubt anyone wants an Australian character, I'm Australian and my accent is honestly the bane of my life.

Poor person school? You mean public school? I just saw that and I was like "what is a poor person school. OH." yeah I went to a poor person school.
Welcome to the group ^^ Personally, I'd love to have and Australian aboard ^^ I was just suggesting the character being apart of the island to avoid terrible accents. But if you're about to voice act, by all means, make you're character Australian ^^ The last thing I want to do is limit people too much.

Wait you have to pay for school. Except it's optional? Does anyone actually pay then?

Welcome to the group ^^ Personally, I'd love to have and Australian aboard ^^ I was just suggesting the character being apart of the island to avoid terrible accents. But if you're about to voice act, by all means, make you're character Australian ^^ The last thing I want to do is limit people too much.

Thanks! I'd love to voice act, so maybe I will make my character Australian, or at best with a slight accent!

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Very interested. Sounds like a lot of fun. Particularly, the whole idea of the animating part of this makes me... curious to say the least. Definitely want to see where this will be headed!

I was wondering, since the setting includes this school the main characters will be enrolled to, if there'd be any problems with me making a character who happens to be a teacher at said institution. Sort of a whim that came to me as I read through the thread. I like supporting role characters, and perhaps it could give me some opportunities to explore the lore.

When it comes to voice acting... I could potentially help with that. I have a half decent microphone, and I do know a bit about working with audacity, however I've never really voice-acted in the past. So, I'm a tad insecure about my performance. If you're ok with that, I can give it a try. There's always got to be a first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.