The Mirror World

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interested. Sounds like a lot of fun. Particularly, the whole idea of the animating part of this makes me... curious to say the least. Definitely want to see where this will be headed!

I was wondering, since the setting includes this school the main characters will be enrolled to, if there'd be any problems with me making a character who happens to be a teacher at said institution. Sort of a whim that came to me as I read through the thread. I like supporting role characters, and perhaps it could give me some opportunities to explore the lore.

When it comes to voice acting... I could potentially help with that. I have a half decent microphone, and I do know a bit about working with audacity, however I've never really voice-acted in the past. So, I'm a tad insecure about my performance. If you're ok with that, I can give it a try. There's always got to be a first time.
Teachers are well welcomed ^^ Actually, a friend of mine said she'd make a teacher too ^^ And it's my boyfriend's first time too, so I'm completely okay with that ^^ The animation bit, though, will be available after we have enough posts for the first episode. I'm going to be making the group today, but I won't let anyone in until I finish all the threads. That way I can get it done without the RP starting ^^

"And it's my boyfriend's first time too, so I'm completely okay with that" Adding this to my Out of Context quotes list.

"And it's my boyfriend's first time too, so I'm completely okay with that" Adding this to my Out of Context quotes list.
Right.... Better wording .... Lol That's a pretty bad out of context line XD

Personally, I use Audacity to record. It's free and a really good program to use where you can change pitch and such. I have mine set a certain way, but I'm not really sure how it's set because a friend of mine walked me through the steps awhile back ^^' You do have to download a few different things, though. The actual application then the ability to export, etc. But it is a good program and records well, even without the extra settings. The main thing would have to be downloading the extra files (which you can through the program) so you can export your audio as an MP3 file.
Thank you so much. And sorry I haven't been on. I haven't been home all week and I'm exhausted. I'll try to get on more this next week but I'm trying to refuel, and my mom might not let me.

Thank you so much. And sorry I haven't been on. I haven't been home all week and I'm exhausted. I'll try to get on more this next week but I'm trying to refuel, and my mom might not let me.
No problem ^^ And don't worry, I need to set the group up anyway ^^ I have the majority planned out, I just need to get the group set up so we can start.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that I'll be moving this summer, so while I'm packing or moving everything to our new home I won't be on as much ^^' It was kinda sprung on me so I didn't think to say anything since the decision was made so fast ^^'

Ah, that fun last minute 'surprise'. Hope the transition is smooth enough!

Just moving from an apartment to a house, since were moving in with my mom's Boyfriend ^^ It's not really all that bad. Worst part is packing and moving it over. By that I mean, I end up carrying all the heavy things XD But it doesn't take me long to settle down. Guess it's because I've moved practically all my life.

Got the group up ^^ I need to flesh it out though. I made all the threads, but I'm too tired to got into them at the moment. Once those are filled out, the group will start. I am waiting on maps to be drawn (as thanks to @AmerillaRose 's brother for offering to make them), so the map section will be empty until I get those. The other art sections (Models & Backgrounds) may take a little longer to fill out. I have to transfer my characters to the computer for the example models, and create the Voids. I also have to make all the backgrounds, so yeah, that'll take a little bit. But in the meantime, we can RP and start working on the first episode, once the group's officially open! Should be open as late as Friday. Hopefully it won't take me that long to flesh everything out, but I'm giving myself room because of life. So the long awaited wait will be over soon! Thank you for sticking with this if you had! I really appreciate it!

Sounds good.

If I get the time today, I'll definitely work on the group. I worked on it last night so there's not much left to do. I just need time aside from packing.

Wasn't able to get on yesterday sadly, but I finished packing my room today so I can probably work on it ^^ All depends on if my mom says it's okay to get on my computer or not. If not, I will be able to tonight because by then we're done for the day.

Reactions: Kingofheart
I need to make my post for the IC and fill out the history section before the group can open ^^ I need help with histories, but the IC post should be done today. The histories I need help with are for the towns/cities and the mountain. Their names are as follows: Thornwood (town), Oldeville (town), Anneval (City), Little Stream (town), Brookehaven (City where school is located), Queensdale (city), and Mount Bane. I already have the history of the school, Voids, Mirror World, and Wooden Idols planned out. I just need to figure out how to word it, which shouldn't be too hard.

I can write you some histories if you like. Histories of worldspaces is quite fun to make. Only questions I have: Oldeville and Mount Bane sound ridiculously cliche and would never come to exist through normal evolution of language. Just sayin.

I can write you some histories if you like. Histories of worldspaces is quite fun to make. Only questions I have: Oldeville and Mount Bane sound ridiculously cliche and would never come to exist through normal evolution of language. Just sayin.
Sometimes cliché is good ^^ But I'm open for suggestions. Mount Bane I came up because I was tired and using a generator ^^' Oldeville was a friend's idea, and I quite like it myself, though I had the same doubts as to whether it was too cliché and unrealistic or not.

Well movers come today, so I got to get off ^^' Hopefully I can sleep a little before they do XD (they come at 2 pm but my mom wants to get up early to move some boxes out. I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm hoping she wakes up around 7-8 which is as late as she'll sleep in)

I'm assuming Mount Bane is a volcano. Volcanos tend to be named based on what they do and how destructive they are, or occasionally based on mythology or something in the local area. Since names evolve to describe the thing they're talking about, one would expect the locals to have traditionally revered it. To begin with, many would refer to it as "The fire mountain" or some variant of that. I'll assume the volcano is a hotspot, so it'll be highly destructive in nature. If nothing culturally relevant happened there and if the locals never revered it, then it would likely be named whatever the local word for "Fire mountain" was, which you could make up easily enough by looking at what "fire mountain" is in the language of the places closest to the island's location. For example, if it was near to Japan, I'd expect it to be named something similar to Akayama (red mountain).

As for Oldeville - That name's just a bit silly. The only way that name would ever come about is if English workers migrated to the island in the 18th century and decided to make every immigrant refer to the town as Oldeville sarcastically. Of course, for this to happen, the town style would also need to reflect something that looks like it's out of the 16th century. Towns are usually named based on local landmarks. Thornewood makes sense for a town built near a forest that had an infestation of brambles and other thorned plants. Little Stream is rather obvious in the same way - a village built on the bank of a small stream. Brookehaven similarly - a town built near a brook that was also in a suitable location for it to be considered highly defensible - perhaps in a glacial valley whose walls provide natural defenses. Queensdale also makes a lot of sense. "Dale" means valley, so a city built in a valley that also played host to royalty when they visited would likely be called Queensdale. When I'm naming towns, I think along those kinds of terms. Think of the original function of the town or any natural landmarks near to the town and work from there. If needs be, you can use words from other languages. The name of the town I live in for example means "Bridge over a river in a valley" in Viking tongue.

I'm assuming Mount Bane is a volcano. Volcanos tend to be named based on what they do and how destructive they are, or occasionally based on mythology or something in the local area. Since names evolve to describe the thing they're talking about, one would expect the locals to have traditionally revered it. To begin with, many would refer to it as "The fire mountain" or some variant of that. I'll assume the volcano is a hotspot, so it'll be highly destructive in nature. If nothing culturally relevant happened there and if the locals never revered it, then it would likely be named whatever the local word for "Fire mountain" was, which you could make up easily enough by looking at what "fire mountain" is in the language of the places closest to the island's location. For example, if it was near to Japan, I'd expect it to be named something similar to Akayama (red mountain).

As for Oldeville - That name's just a bit silly. The only way that name would ever come about is if English workers migrated to the island in the 18th century and decided to make every immigrant refer to the town as Oldeville sarcastically. Of course, for this to happen, the town style would also need to reflect something that looks like it's out of the 16th century. Towns are usually named based on local landmarks. Thornewood makes sense for a town built near a forest that had an infestation of brambles and other thorned plants. Little Stream is rather obvious in the same way - a village built on the bank of a small stream. Brookehaven similarly - a town built near a brook that was also in a suitable location for it to be considered highly defensible - perhaps in a glacial valley whose walls provide natural defenses. Queensdale also makes a lot of sense. "Dale" means valley, so a city built in a valley that also played host to royalty when they visited would likely be called Queensdale. When I'm naming towns, I think along those kinds of terms. Think of the original function of the town or any natural landmarks near to the town and work from there. If needs be, you can use words from other languages. The name of the town I live in for example means "Bridge over a river in a valley" in Viking tongue.
0.0 Man, I wish you were there when we came up with names, you're really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.