The House On The Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We're working on our research paper, something that someone else should be working on, too." Came River's voice, though a soft giggle could be heard from the background, thanks to Maddie. After all, he was never good at being serious, hence why he, too, followed into nervous chuckles. "Look, we'll be home soon. I honestly do think you should start on yours... I mean, it's due in three days. Do you even have a book to study off of?"

"River, just come home..." Whined Milli, as he covered his eyes with his arm. "Please? You can bring your girlfriend, if you want to..."

"Milli wants you home-- and don't be a dickhead! I've totally done some research on it, actually," retorted the girl stubbornly. Had she done anything? Of course she had - but nothing of substance. Mostly, that was down to her lazy, procrastinating personality, but it didn't help her much when she was dating someone just as educationally lethargic as she was. At least her brother was dating someone relatively smart and switched on. Rain didn't exactly have the luxury of being with someone who was particularly clever. "I mean, Tyler said he was gonna come sleep over tonight to work on it, but, you know, he might be working or whatever-- look, just get your ass home before Dad gets back? Bring Maddie if you can't go a few minutes without eyeing her up~"

"Or, y'know, you could let him work on the paper he's supposed to finish? And the one you clearly haven't started," replied Seth, loud enough for River to hear on the other end of the phone as the boy wandered in to flop onto the other couch, awkwardly hugging his knees as he eyed the scene. He felt like shit, of course. His brother was pretty accomplished in life: he had a house, a steady girlfriend, a job. Seth, meanwhile? He lived with his parents, had no boyfriend, and had a crappy job that paid horrendously and demanded he work idiotic hours. His father and Rudie had reassured that he could stay as long as he wanted, but he obviously felt like a burden on them. "Whatever, you do what you wanna River, ignore her.."​

"Thank you, Seth, Seriously, don't worry, okay? I'll be over in a bit. Just... How about you start on your paper, I'll help when I get home," River whined, before pursing his lips and hanging up the phone to reluctantly pull away from his close embrace with Maddie on the library floor, all because his sister was desperate for some more affection.

Watching the few, Milli eventually offered a smile over to Seth as he pressed into the couch wearily. "... Hey. How are you doing? You look absolutely exhausted, sweetheart. Go and sleep, alright? I could make you some hot cocoa if you want, right?"

"Huh? Oh. Oh, no, I'm totally fine. A little tired, sure, but... fine. I was visiting Terry. Do you know they have a dog now? Some cute little Labrador. And I can't even afford to buy myself a meal at McDonalds, it's pretty fucking shitty right now," answered the vampire to his uncle with a faint smile, his bagged eyes eventually shutting just to ease the stinging, though, like most nights, he found himself unable to sleep. In fact, he recalled last sleeping three nights back - since then, he knew he hadn't had a wink of it through a combination of stress and heightened emotion. "It's fine! Y'know, totally... cool. I'm going on a date tomorrow, so hey, fingers crossed this guy will stick around with me. Rose said she'll help me choose an outfit and stuff, so it should be fine..."

"Ooh, what's the guy like?" Cooed Rain immediately, her spirits much brighter now River was coming on, leaving her eagerly grinning and peeking across at Seth curiously. "Is he handsome? I bet he is. Is he outgoing? Muscular? You like exotic guys, don't you?"

"...I mean, he seems cool. He's definitely handsome," muttered Seth to himself, tiredly grinning again as he rested his head on his knees. "He's at college, so he's pretty smart too..."​

"Listen, sweetheart, you shouldn't focus all of your energy on guys. If you want to expand your career, you need to put relationships to the side. I mean, it would help if you trusted me or your father to get you an interview?" He offered weakly, before moving to take the man's hand. "I'm serious. I want you to be happy..."

"Oi, I am happy! Sure, I'm not a raging success like my brother, but... I'm fine, Milli. My job's not that bad-- and you know I'm pretty dependent. I like being in relationships. You don't get it. You've always got someone who dotes on you, sometimes at the same time, hm?" Seth calmly drawled with a surprisingly knowing glance, reiterating the hinting by eyeing a now sleeping Maxx with an arched brow-- though without any judgement whatsoever. Frankly, he didn't entirely care - as long as Milli knew what he was doing and was happy, the man couldn't do a thing wrong in Seth's eyes. When Axel had been off his face drunk, Milli had always been there to help Seth and Terry, and the former (as well as the latter) obviously hadn't forgotten it, even if their father was now sober and stable.

"Besides, you'd like Oscar. He's lovely," he gushed, though it was nothing special. He gushed over every new boyfriend he had, until he eventually fucked it up or simply got hurt by him. He ought to be used to it by now, he knew that, but it didn't ever stop him growing excited when a new man came into the picture. "He's on his college football team and he plays chess. I don't even know what chess is, I know clever people play it though. I think he could definitely be 'the one'. I just... want stability. A stable boyfriend to help me get a better job and then to move out and adopt a kid one day, I guess."​

Shamefully looking away from Seth, he absently fiddled with his assistance's tubing, his face flushed in embarrassment. Clearing his throat, he took the unsubtle, silent call out as some sort of emotional blackmail. Because of this, he sat up a tad while trying to carefully pull out from Maxx's grip. Stretching 'til he hurt the appropriate snaps, he began to wander towards the kitchen.

"Look, bring him over, then. I won't judge him until then, okay? I'd like to think that you trust me to be honest by now, i-in most cases, at least. If I think he's got good energy, then I don't see why you couldn't date him. Hell, Rose knows what she's doing more than I do..."

Maxx, on the other hand, at the unsubtle insinuations, didn't react with all the calmness he had hoped he would react with. He sent a sharp glare to a grinning Seth, shoved him lightly out of the way to connote his irritation, before wandering after Milli. After all, he was always trying to convince his ex-husband that it was best to just tell Archer to leave, refusing the constant notion from the vampire to enter some polygamous relationship. It wasn't Maxx's ideal, and it was also slightly irritating that Milli couldn't just choose. Hell, Maxx knew he would be upset if he was rejected, but at least he would definitively know to move on, right?

Though, giving Milli up if it did come to that would be hard, given just how easily he had fallen back in love with him... though it could be argued he never really fell out of love. Their divorce wasn't out of stopping loving each other. Maxx's overbearing protectiveness had been the main factor, and he was working on trying not to worry so much, regardless of the fact it was a result of loving Milli a lot.

"Ignore Seth, he's being a stirring piece of shit," the brash werewolf muttered as he leaned against the fridge after grabbing himself a beer. "You alright? You can go lay down or whatever, if you want-- hell, I'll come join you. Archer won't be back for ages, I imagine. Why can't you tell him to fuck off already, Milli? It's irritating."​

"Because he matters to me, Maxx. Why can't you understand that I love both of you? You're both important to me, respectfully- for example, Archer was with me at my very worse, and he never once treated me like I was going to just break from being touched. He put up with me, even when I couldn't give much to him. He doesn't deserve to be heartbroken, especially when I still have feelings for him- for you both." He replied quietly, as he snatched himself a pack of blood, holding it tight in frustration

"So what am I supposed t' do? Just go around secretly and keep it hidden because little Archer might get his heart broken? Big whoop. You upset me a lot during our marriage, and vice versa, but I assume you're over it, because I'm over it. Fucking hell. He's not some delicate little snowflake, Milli. He's a grown-ass man," the werewolf grunted, though, at the other's unsubtle hints, he did pipe down, knowing that at least Archer had made up for Maxx's faults when he had, admittedly, been over protective. "Look, just... don't string me along. I don't want to be used for a bit of fun, I really want to be with 'ya again, I guess-- hey, calm down, I'm sorry. Let's go watch the rest of the game, yeah? Before your sister gets back and demands I put on some shitty reality show."​

"I'm not using you for 'a bit of fun', Maxx. Don't you think that, if I was, I would have told you by now? I love you both, a-a lot. I get it, I'm selfish, I know. To be honest, I don't even know why either of you even have feelings for me. I'm just a weak, boring, loser who clings to his family because he can't do shit. I'd just probably be better off, like, going back to my mom. Just- look, I'm going to take a bath. Tell me who wins, okay?"

"Oh come on, at least let me come join? Don't be so... dismissive, Milli. I'm sorry, alright? Let's forget about it," shrugged Maxx, his carefree attitude contradicting Archer's, with the vampire more focused on solving issues than Maxx who preferred to drop them and move immediately on. However, he was at least insistent on some sort of recuperation alongside Milli, grabbing his hand to get him to stop-- though the enclosed digits were separated quickly upon Matty and Lucy's entrance, with Maxx wandering to the fridge again to create distance and avoid suspicion. It was bad enough having Seth realise what was going on. Like hell did he want anyone else figuring it out.

"You'll never guess who we just saw. I mean, I'm sure it was him. Lucy said it couldn't have been, but I swear it was," babbled Matty, the man as excitable and full of energy as he had been eight years prior, his cheeks red from his babbling -and his quick pace home- as he dutifully removed his girlfriend's jacket for her. "Cameron. I swear to god I saw Cameron and that Louise girl down by the river. Hell, I would have gone over but Lucy said it wasn't them and not to embarrass her or whatever-- me? Embarrassing? Seriously. I've dated you eight years, and only now realise I'm embarrassing?"

"Cameron? You are kidding, aren't you Dad? Wasn't he, like, under your Mom's thumb, Milli?" Commented Rain from the side, the pink-haired girl arriving to the kitchen at the sound of her father's voice. "I dunno. You're honestly crazy, Dad. Don't freak Milli out, jeez..."​

"That's impossible. Our old house is a good hour away, why would Cameron just so happen to be in the area with Louise? Not to mention, why would he be anywhere away from mom and dad, unless they somehow moved here, too? You must have been seeing things," Milli replied dismissively, waving the claims off as he absently sucked on the pack of blood. "You haven't been getting much sleep, maybe your eyes are failing, honestly..."

"That's what I said! I told him that it was impossible. Cam is probably still clinging to mom's tit like a baby. That boy... I hope he's okay, to be honest. Just- I know better than you guys do that he probably isn't here. Unless... Unless mom and dad died, you know?"

"I know what and who I saw. My eyes are fine, Milli. I'm not that tired-- it was definitely him. Who knows why he's here-- he knows our address, so if it was him, I'm sure he'll pay a visit and then you can all apologise to me for doubting me so much," argued the demon, albeit playfully, as he poured himself out a glass of orange juice, as well as one for Lucy. "Not that it matters. I like the kid, but jeez, he isn't a child. How old is he now? 21, 22? He's an adult, Lucy, relax. And I'm sure Louise was with him, so it's not like he's alone if it is him, you know? Besides, not to sound selfish, but I'd rather focus on us right now, and not your brother. I mean, c'mon, it's an important time for us. Quit stressing about Cameron. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I regret mentioning it now, to be honest."

"...I'm sure it's fine, Lucy." Rain attempted once noticing the genuine concern on the woman's expression, as well as audibly hearing it in her tone. "Like Dad said, he isn't a kid, right? Hell, I'm sure I could go halfway across the country alone and be perfectly fine, so an hour away from home for him isn't that big a deal, is it? I don't remember him that much-- anyway! Did you buy cookies or cakes or something? You went to the bakery too, right? 'Cause I'm starving."​

"Cameron isn't as adventurous as you, Rain. If anything, imagine River, but, like... Ten times worse. He practically vomited when meeting Louise, at least River has that demon charm to not cry once meeting someone he likes," Lucy murmured, before rummaging through her bag to offer a cupcake.

"Here, it's something, right? I didn't get a cake, my feet hurt way too much. Just be happy I thought of you, got it?" She huffed, before wandering carefully towards the couch, groaning wearily. "Look, if he's here, I plan to accept him with open arms. He's my brother, and he's all of your brother or uncle."

Now, Matty wasn't Cameron's biggest fan in the world after the vampire had insulted him to no end because he apparently would only hurt Lucy and ruin her life. He understood it came from a place of caring and love, sure, but that didn't mean he enjoyed being judged y someone who hardly hid how bitter he felt about it all. However, if Lucy was prepared to welcome in Cameron -if it was him-, then Matty had no choice but to follow her lead too. He wasn't going to make a fuss and upset her, was he?

"He was with Louise, so that's a good sign, isn't it?" He suggested with a smile as he took a seat opposite his girlfriend-- after shooting his daughter a small warning glare not to ruin her appetite before dinner. "I mean, that proves he's been dating her, or at least made a friend-- be honest, you didn't think he'd make friends. I certainly didn't, he seemed far too nervous to do anything like that, so hey, perhaps he's got some confidence? He's bound to follow you in some regard, Lucy... He was definitely as annoying as you~"​

"Piss off," the blonde huffed, albeit offered a teasing smile as she eased back on the couch, cradling her stomach absently. "Of course I'd welcome him home... if it's really him. You're getting old, baby, it could have been literally any normal teen just wandering about with his girlfriend. I don't think I want any of us to be burdened with the idea that it could be Cameron, right now."

"Wait, hold on. Let me get that straight? I'm getting old? Me? You're like three times my age. I'm basically your toy boy, Lucy. If I'm old, what are you? Ancient?" Remarked the man in his typically joking manner, making up for the cheeky retort by flopping down beside his girlfriend and offering her a swift kiss. Of course, eight years of dating hadn't been some fairytale romance. No relationship was completely perfect... but it was, in his eyes, pretty darn close. Hell, Lucy could take his jokes and, not just that, but make fun of him just as much. If anything proved they were supposed to date, he figured it was that... as well as the longevity of their relationship. Eight years was hardly just a 'fling'.

"I wouldn't have brought it up if I wasn't certain. I would have dragged you over to him, but you walk so damn slow it would have taken ages," continued Matty with a roll of his eyes, propping his long legs up on the coffee table and absently letting his eyes settle on the sports game, even if it didn't really register to him. He wasn't the biggest fan of sports, which did make him a figure of ridicule when Maxx, the epitome of manliness, had found out. "But yeah, let's just leave it, I guess. I don't want you bursting into emotional tears over it. We all know how hormonal you are."​

"Wait, hold on. Let me get that straight? I'm getting old? Me? You're like three times my age. I'm basically your toy boy, Lucy. If I'm old, what are you? Ancient?" Remarked the man in his typically joking manner, making up for the cheeky retort by flopping down beside his girlfriend and offering her a swift kiss. Of course, eight years of dating hadn't been some fairytale romance. No relationship was completely perfect... but it was, in his eyes, pretty darn close. Hell, Lucy could take his jokes and, not just that, but make fun of him just as much. If anything proved they were supposed to date, he figured it was that... as well as the longevity of their relationship. Eight years was hardly just a 'fling'.

"I wouldn't have brought it up if I wasn't certain. I would have dragged you over to him, but you walk so damn slow it would have taken ages," continued Matty with a roll of his eyes, propping his long legs up on the coffee table and absently letting his eyes settle on the sports game, even if it didn't really register to him. He wasn't the biggest fan of sports, which did make him a figure of ridicule when Maxx, the epitome of manliness, had found out. "But yeah, let's just leave it, I guess. I don't want you bursting into emotional tears over it. We all know how hormonal you are."​

"Fight me, then, huh?" Huffed the vampire in question, as she propped her head up with the assortment of pillows Milli had seemed to collect over the years and, inevitably spread to other rooms of the house. Milli clung onto collections like that, it gave him something to do when no one was home.

"You two are gems," came said vampire'a voice, though it was mostly to hide his upset and have everyone worried. After all, no one deserved that stress. "I'm taking a nap if you need me."

Status
Not open for further replies.