The Heart of Kiyohime [SaberWolf & Sailor Moon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The morning sun was soft on her face, drying away the last residue of the water she'd refreshed herself with upon waking. The birds were going through a few chromatic scales to prepare for the day's songs. Dew sparkled on the grass, cold under her bare feet.

The sunlight took the sting out of the morning chill, just as she liked it. Kazusa hummed softly to herself as she stretched, loosening her body, her nostrils flaring as she enjoyed the fresh air before the town's smokes and brews polluted it. Every slow, graceful movement was like the next step in some secret dance, kept in time by an inner beat that only she could hear.

She could tell that she was being watched. The cook had left his door open so he could watch her while he prepared the morning breakfast. She would allow it. The cook was a respectful man, his eyes never flicked her way. He knew his place in the world, but allowed himself to dream even at his age. It was sweet. She smiled faintly to herself as she bent to a new position, and put him from her mind.

The woman was dressed in a spotless kimono as she went through her morning routines, and nothing she did allowed it to wrinkle or stain. The heavy rocks she would have liked to have lifted were muddy, so she went past them to spring up and catch hold of the ledge just over the side gate, pulling herself up in quick repetition till her arms ached, toes perfectly pointed all the while.

Eventually she noticed that she had another spectator. A man had come into the little courtyard and stood leaning, eyes boldly following each of her movements, lingering in places he wished he could see better. She did not allow his gawking to disrupt her training, giving his loutish actions the exact amount of consideration they deserved. Her eyes did not meet his as she crossed to where her naginata leaned, either, dancing from bird to spider-web as if he was not present.

"Let me see your hands," the man said abruptly as she reached for her weapon.

She blinked, as if noticing him for the first time. "Excuse me, sir?" she asked, eyes hooding demurely.

"Your hands," the man repeated. Upon closer inspection, he was dressed quite well. Not a samurai or true warrior, but someone who had trained... a rich man's son, perhaps? Someone who had trained, and fancied himself competent... perhaps he was even skilled. But his eyes did not have the right look. Whoever he was, he'd never killed a man, and therefore he was beneath her concern. Smiling, she bowed her head and held out her hands to him.

"Callused," he noted. Then he took them in his, his fingers caressing her palms. Bold! Bold, and foolish...

"Your hands should not be so rough," he told her. "Who is your father? What sort of negligence has he committed, that you must harden what should be soft?"

Stupid, but not without a modicum of courtesy. Ill-used courtesy, clearly his education had been a waste of everyone's time, but still... if he touched her nowhere else, she'd let him live.

"You are too kind," she murmured. "But please, do not let one such as I distract you from your day. Surely you must have pressing engagements."

He ignored the hint. "Surely there are better things for such a Lady to be doing than training as if she were a man..."

She didn't let him finish. She hadn't even begun her naginata forms yet. This buffoon was keeping her from training. Her hands blurred, there was a happy crackle of joints stressed to the breaking point, and the man was on his knees before her, eyes watering in pain. He was babbling something, trryng to excuse his behavior or protesting or begging or reciting poetry. Kazusa didn't care. She gave him a last winsome smile, the last attention she would favor him with.

This man was beneath her, regardless of their social ranks. He was a dog who'd been taught to dance on his hind legs and wear silk clothing, nothing more. She was willing to bet that his mother had been some coarse, base concubine. What a pity that her offspring had not aspired to rise above his heritage. Her gaze shifted back to the spider-web. It glistened so nicely, such a lovely picture. Maybe she should compose a haiku about it.

There was another pop of a tendon being torn from its mooring as she turned away. She'd forgotten to release the hand she held, oh, what a shame. Picking up her naginata, she walked back through the drying grass to the spot she'd picked as the center for her forms. By the time she was halfway through her first form, she'd forgotten about the man entirely.

"Three corners I take
To make my circle strong..." she considered. "To weave my circle web..." no, still one vowel short. She smiled at the cook as the man prepared her breakfast, such a debonair gentleman despite his circumstances. Over-paying for her meal, she returned to the courtyard, settling down on a bench to eat. Her morning had been so nice. She would like to continue in this theme for as long as possible.

The spider-web had been in a sheltered spot. The storm last night should have torn it all to ribbons. Maybe she could write about that. Surely there were plenty of poems already about the stillness and grace of spider-webs.

When her meal was finished at last, she left the courtyard behind the little breakfast-place and headed back to the inn, ducking into the tavern that made up the bottom story and pausing, eyes narrowing thoughtfully. She'd been party to enough fights to sense that the men in the tavern were spoiling for one... their body language screamed their violent intentions louder than the mightiest of horns. Rather than duck upstairs to refresh herself, Kazusa paused to watch.

Louts, every one of them, not a single gentleman among them, she decided. Her sympathies accordingly shifted to the woman they were menacing. In such close quarters, her naginata would be of only limited effectiveness, should she decide to join the fray, so she leaned it against a pillar and drifted a little closer with empty hands. If she needed a sword, she would simply take one.

She had lost count of how many drinks she had over the course of the previous night. The dark night had slowly given way to the morning's rising sun as the young woman downed what seemed like enough shōchū and sake to subdue a dragon. As morning finally came, Tachi slammed her empty cup onto the horizontal surface before her. There was nothing like a little inebriation to wash away the young rōnin's loneliness. "Arigatō gozaimashita" She bowed her head slightly towards the inn keeper, who was impressed not by the amount of alcohol the girl had consumed, but rather the sizable tab she had accumulated in only a few hours. Of course, she didn't have any money... but Tachi already had a plan for such an affair.

Her vision a slightly blurry haze, the rōnin reached over to the curved nihonto that lay beside her, grabbing the curved tachi sword by its wooden scabbard. Signalling her intent to leave, the entire room fell silent as the dozen men in the room saw their opportunity to strike. Standing up in unison, the armed samurai formed a circle around the woman. "Minako Izanami. You have a sizable bounty on your head. We plan to collect." One of the men remarked, stepping forward from the circle. Auburn eyes glanced over at the taller figure, a man whose ostentatious hitatare clothes suggested that he was a wealthy retainer to whatever clan controlled the region. Izanami loathed politics.

Slowly, the still slightly inebriated woman rotated her bar stool in place, eyes watching each man for any unexpected moves. "You should have brought more men, then." She goaded halfheartedly, "I can take samurai pricks like you all day." The rōnin shot the men a not-so-innocent grin, waiting for the first asshole to make a mistake.

"M-Manko!" The rich prick in the hitatare cursed at her, hastily navigating his hand to his sheathed uchigatana. The first mistake commonly made in a Japanese bar fight was looking for a clean fight. Before the man could fully draw his weapon, Tachi smacked him atop the head with her still sheathed sword, the vicious, blunt force of the blow was enough to make any man reevaluate his decisions in life. As the samurai grasped his head in agony, Tachi swept her leg under another man as he stepped towards her, causing him to stumble and knock another man over.

"Alright boys, let's dance." She cackled as she leaped from her seat, dodging the angry flurry of sharp katanas that chased after her. Despite being significantly outnumbered, Tachi fought without her sword, smacking the men on the wrist with her still-sheathed weapon as if toying with them. Dancing like a happy drunkard around the tables, she always stayed one step ahead of her opponents, who followed her like a dreary school of dumb koi fish. When one man swung his blade at her head, she ducked underneath, watching as the sword lodged itself into a wooden pillar. "This is why you don't bring swords to a fist fight." She remarked as she punched the man in the weak spot between his legs.

The fight continued on for several more minutes as Tachi dispatched the men one by one using a variety of underhanded tactics. While Tachi was more than capable of giving them a conventional sword fight, this was admittedly a lot more fun. As she whacked another samurai across the face with her scabbard, she simultaneously punted another across the room. It was quite obvious by this point that the men were simply outclassed. While samurai trained their entire lives fighting with the sword, Tachi had found early on that their training was limited to the fancy swordplay of traditional sword schools. What she brought to the table was quite... unorthodox.

It wasn't long until all of the men were sprawled out across the ground, swords stuck in walls or abandoned on the floor as the men grasped the painful wounds resulted from multiple blunt force strikes. Tachi could have sworn that one samurai was even inspecting his package to see if it was still in one piece. Crouching over the first samurai, she shot the man a grin, "Guess you got beat by a manko, huh?" Tachi stuck her hands underneath the man's clothes, pulling out a small sack full of money. "Probably shouldn't gamble. Next time you might pay with your life." She warned him, watching as the men scattered like rats out of the inn.

As the tavern floor quickly emptied itself of its samurai patrons, she noticed an attractive woman standing nonchalantly at the entrance of the tavern. "Are you here to kill me too?" The rōnin sat herself back down into her seat, an inquisitive look stretched across her face. "Come. Let a girl buy you a drink." She patted the seat down beside her, beckoning for her to approach.

• Love
Reactions: Saber
xiaobai-13-600x375-305x375.jpg

The woman must have a metabolism like a blast furnace to process so much alcohol. Kazusa made a rough estimation based on thr empty jugs, factored for likely time of beginning, and was still reasonably impressed.

Of course, the sort of men so coarse as to instigate violence indoors could hardly be worthy of the steel they bore. Taking her naginata, the woman delicately picked her way across the room, using the butt of her weapon to prod limbs out of her path. Settling comfortably down, she smiled across at the other woman. "Tea for me, if you please," she said.

She was not one to judge the woman's tactics. With the odds so solidly against her, it had been war outright and no fuel. It seemed that these men had no knowledge of war... such a pity. If they did, they would not have been so easily manhandled. Many things were perfectly acceptable in war that were never spoken of during sword training, and generally one had to find these things out for oneself.

"My name is Morumoto Kazusa," her dark eyes inspected the other woman critically. "I thank you for not drawing your sword earlier. The scent of offal would have rendered this lovely establishment unsuitable for continued use, and I am rather fond of their hospitality."

• Love
Reactions: Saber and envogue
The scent of warm, chicken stuffed dumplings was enough to rouse any human from their slumber, and Kokoro was no exception. Her eyes flickered open, an innocence to them as she lifted her head off of the firm futon pillow. She rubbed the back of her neck for a moment, a yawn escaping her lips and her arms instinctively stretching high above her head. Her body was well rested, and her dreams managed to stay normal for the remainder of the night. Kokoro couldn't actually recall what her dream was even about, though she had a strange feeling.

It could have just have been from the aftershock of their battle with Kiyohime, but this one was different. Kokoro simply ignored the feeling for the time being, getting to her knees first, and then to her feet. She found Sato, not even a foot away eating the dumplings, and her face fell childishly to see that there was already a decent amount of dumplings missing. There was no way Sato had woken her up for her meager scraps.

"Is this the breakfast you speak of?" Kokoro asked, as she moved towards the table. She bent slightly at the knee, lowering herself until her knees were tucked neatly underneath her bottom. "I guess I can't be too picky since you treated me last night, but..." Kokoro rolled her eyes discreetly, her fingers finding the spare set of chopsticks tucked away in the basket. "I can't argue with free food." She carefully plucked a dumpling from the basket, flashing a smile at Sato before devouring the heavenly gyoza. Kokoro was ravenous in the mornings, but she guessed it was enough to sustain her for now.

Kokoro glanced over towards the window, her eyebrows lifting in surprise at the amount of sunshine pouring into their room. It was almost like it hadn't stormed at all. Her gaze returned to Sato, and she studied the woman for a moment, her lips lifting at the corners as she recalled how valiantly Sato had come to her aid. Kokoro continued to smile, though it faded some when her face started to get hot. She had certainly been staring long enough for Sato to notice.

She quickly lowered her gaze, her eyes opening just a little wider than normal. It was then, that Kokoro remembered the contents of her dream. She swallowed thickly, cheeks reddening with...shame, or embarrassment. Both. She quickly scooped up the remaining gyoza in the basket and forced them all into her mouth, finding comfort and solace as the food melted in her mouth. Somehow, she managed to get it all down with minimal chewing.

"Thank you for the meal." Kokoro clasped her hands together, smiling warmly. "You didn't have to let me have your last dumpling either, but I needed it. We're both going to need all of our energy, if we're to continue chasing Kiyohime."

• Love
Reactions: Saber and Vonghese
Sato watched Kokoro eat and silently cursed herself for not buying more dumplings, or at least another dish that she could have had more of. Even though she didn't look it, Sato could probably eat a whole steer on her own, given the chance. Still, Kokoro was petite, and with all the traveling, she was sure that the brunette needed some extra energy. Not to mention the night terrors. It always seemed that after Kokoro had a nightmare, it drained her energy for the next day. They hadn't been traveling together for terribly long, but Sato was mindful, and it didn't take her long to catch on that if Kokoro didn't eat well after a nightmare or vision, they'd move a bit slower for about half a day. Now that she thought of it, they could get more dumplings when they went out today.

She was about to say something to Kokoro when she saw an odd expression flash across her face, and her cheeks tinge a pleasing red tint. The samurai's eyes narrowed slightly, but ignored it for the time being. Though she was curious about what Kokoro was thinking about. They needed to come up with a plan for the day. Following Kiyohime's trail wouldn't be too difficult a task since the dragon seemed to leave a path of rain and thunder in its wake. They also needed to think of a sufficient way to bring down the mythical beast as well, and after witnessing the dragon's power, Sato was a little less than convinced they could do much without proper preparation.

"We should probably get moving soon, Koko." Sato said finally as she stood up and stretched her arms over her head. "We don't want to lose the trail of the dragon, just in case she decides to hide again." She glanced down at the brunette and smirked. "Any idea on how we're supposed to kill it? Because all those men on the mountain didn't seem to do much of anything besides irritate her. Like I said before, Koko, I may be out of my depth here and you know I hate to admit that."

Sato started to gather the very few things they had, thankfully, and waited calmly until Kokoro was ready to go. They made their way down the stairs and out into the streets where more people were out and about compared to when Sato was out before. Sato looked around and then glanced down at her companion.

"We could get more dumplings if you're still hungry? I know I am. Or at least get some for the trip?"
Sato was hopeful, it's not like they were flush with gold, but they still had some to spare on necessities. "The shop was down that way..." She paused when she saw several men rushing out of a building like Death itself was residing there. "Near where all those men are fleeing from." A smirk grew on her lips as she glanced at Kokoro once more. "Do you want to go investigate?"

"No. Unfortunately, I don't." Kokoro replied honestly, as she got to her feet. "I almost wish I would have followed that kitsune instead. It would have been simpler." She sighs, her footsteps heavy with each step she took down the stairs. Thinking of that trickster always put Kokoro down, and it was hard for her to bring herself back up. After all, he was the one that had ruined her. It was his fault that Kokoro needed Kiyohime's heart in the first place, and the sole reason that her powers were now tainted.

"We could get more dumplings if you're still hungry? I know I am. Or at least get some for the trip?"

The priestess couldn't even bring herself to smile at the mention of more dumplings, but she masked her pain well.
"It couldn't hurt." Kokoro answered, when she saw men fleeing from the nearby tavern. Her smile fell somewhat, and she glanced up at Sato with an inquisitive look. Her first thought was that Kiyohime had returned, but surely there would be more destruction and fleeing. "Well..." Kokoro heard the eagerness in her companion's voice. "I guess I don't have a choice?" She pushed her lips to the side in a lopsided pout as she trailed behind Sato.

Kokoro walked through the entryway of the tavern, eyes scanning the dimly lit building cautiously. She moved forward only an inch or so, when the bottom of her foot connected with something plush, a gargled groan sounding from below. Kokoro jumped back into Sato, a hint of disgust on her face as her eyes settled on the man laying on the ground. He looked to be beaten up, and her expression immediately softened at the sight.

"What happened to you?" Kokoro asked, as the man opened his one good eye. She felt some sympathy for the man, but his wounds mainly consisted of bruises and a black eye. He would live.

"Bi...Bitches." The wounded warrior replied, flinching away from Kokoro and turning onto his sides. Suddenly tears were pooling in his eyes, streaming down his cheeks in a steady pour. "Filthy wenches."

Kokoro blinked curiously at the man, unsure of whether to be offended by the insult. A crying man should be the last person to insult her, she thought. She looked up at Sato, shrugging at the woman as she got back up.
"Well, that explains the black eye."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Vonghese and Saber
A lithe grin etched its way across the Ronin's canvas as the woman approached, settling herself down into the seat beside her. Tachi could tell by first glance that this stranger was more than she seemed, her alluring features concealing her true identity. She had seen the eyes of enough killers to notice the flicker of violence that stained their gaze, no doubt her new drinking companion could see hers as well. Of course, the long naginata she wielded didn't help to make things any more conspicuous. "Tachi, they call me." She introduced herself by her alias, turning her gaze to the innkeeper.

"Another round for me. Tea for the lady." She giggled, dropping the sack of money she had stolen off of her attackers to pay for everything. As the warm tea and another round of sake hit the horizontal surface before them, Tachi sought to learn more from this strange girl.

"So, will we be killing each other after this, Kazusa-san?" The Ronin asked softly, her tone nonchalant despite the seriousness of her words. She sipped from the shot glass, the alcohol still seemingly having no effect on her as she awaited the girl's answer. It was hard to forget the large bounty that hung over her head like a curse, how so many people desperately wanted to collect on such a sum of money. She hoped that if she indeed sought a fight, that she would take a moment to reconsider her thoughts.

Tachi hated killing. She felt that it would have been a shame to have to kill such a prepossessing woman. Was she going to be left with no other option? Was this to be her accursed destiny?

"I can't afford to match the bounty on my head, but you can have the rest of the money if you would like." She nodded over to the bag that sat in front of her, still half full after so many rounds of drinks. Placing the empty shot glass down onto the table, she grabbed her sword, rising from her seat. "There's still things that I have to do. I'm sorry, but I don't plan on dying any time soon." Auburn eyes carefully watched the beauty beside her, waiting for any intent to strike her down.

When no such opportunity arose, Tachi turned her gaze towards the exit. She felt a pang of relief when it seemed like the girl had no intentions of fighting her. "I guess I'll be seeing you around then, Kazusa-san." She mused as she began to navigate her way out. "See ya."

As she made her way towards the exit, her visage was soon met with the appearance of two new figures - an armed couple that seemed to be exchanging words with the assailants still laying upon the ground. "Oi." She greeted, stopping in her tracks, "I thought I told you guys to scram." The Ronin growled, her eyes directed at the men on the ground.

"Gomen'nasai!" The men shouted, rushing to their feet before bolting out the door.

Once the tavern had finally been cleared of the rabble, Tachi turned her attention to the two women standing in front of her. "Can I help you?" She asked, eyes narrowing attentively.

Last edited:
Kazusa blinked as the words flowed from the other woman. Serious questions were raised, questions that deserved an answer, but she didn't seem interested in Kazusa's decisions. The woman was a high-functioning alcoholic, it would seem. She had barely reached for her own tea before the ronin's own cup was empty again and she was rising to leave.

How rude.

She didn't attempt to interject a word in edgewise, contenting herself with giving her tea the attention it deserved. She'd meant what she'd said earlier, about how fond she was of the establishment. Nor did she attempt to arrest the other woman--Tachi--as she left. Kazusa had engaged in bounty hunting before, but at the moment she was not strapped for money, and she had a sufficient reputation built by now that she felt no need to prove herself each and every time the opportunity presented itself.

So she sipped her tea, and allowed Tachi to pass from her thoughts, kneeling comfortably among broken and moaning men. When the server approached to clear away Tachi's cups, Kazusa turned to look out the window, wondering absently if she might come across any better adventures today.

Such adventure seemed to be walking up to the door. Two more women, also armed--goodness, this town--were approaching the front door. They entered, and she could hear muffled conversation in the entryway.

"Tell me," she said as the server turned to leave with empty cups in hand. "Is your town so crude that all women must bear arms and defend themselves?"

The old woman winced, bowing deeply over her load. "Forgive the appearance, my Lady, this is an unusual day. The dragon does not usually leave her mountain."

Dragon?

This was the first Kazusa had heard of a dragon. "Do you refer to the storm inflicted last night?"

"The dragon was in the storm, my Lady," the server bowed again. "Please, I did not see her, but everyone here knows of her legend... treasure hunters disturbed her yesterday. Everyone is afraid, my Lady."

Dismissing the server with a tip of her chin, the samurai returned to her drink. She was the picture of tranquility, utterly unconcerned by pained moans of the men rising about her, limping from the room by way of the side door, leaning on each other as they crept from her presence. It was good that they left. Their presence was quite an eyesore against the peaceful decor. Maybe now Kazusa should order breakfast... Ah, there was even coin to pay for breakfast on the table in front of her. This place could do brisk business on that coin all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sato tilted her head when Kokoro addressed the man and he gave a sordid answer. The samurai just shook her head and then stepped over and around the men that were scattered on the ground. There were two women sitting in the tavern, both unscathed and enjoying a drink. Sato let her left hand fall and rest on hilt of her sword. Her brow furrowed slightly. It was clear that these women weren't your average women. For one, just being in a tavern, and the one reeked of alcohol, even from the distance she was at. The other...was a bit more mysterious. She was dressed elegantly, but she also had a different air about her that Sato had never come in contact with before. When the one stood and scared the men that were left over away, her eyes finally fell on Kokoro and Sato.

"Can I help you?"

A calm smile grew on the samurai's lips as she bowed her head slightly. "I just wondered who was causing all the commotion." Sato answered as she left her hand resting on her sword. "Since you're the only two left standing, I would have to assume that it was you two lovely ladies." She lifted her head again, glancing at the other woman drinking tea and then put her arm around Kokoro's back, her hand resting on the girl's opposite shoulder. "I'm Sato, this is my companion, Kokoro. We were just about to leave the city when I heard the ruckus. I thought I'd get a little exercise in, but I suppose I missed the fun ."

Her expression went a bit more serious this time, but nothing that would be outwardly threatening. She was, after all, just curious of the women. Why they had picked a fight with every man in the tavern and what they were doing in the city. People that liked to cause trouble could be found in any town or tavern, but they were hardly ever women. She wondered if the dragon had called them both here. Then again, judging from family, they could've been after Sato as well. Hence the added caution. Even though she wasn't in contact with any of her siblings or her mother, she knew her brothers had a grudge against her and a reason to end her life. Whether that was by their hands or someone else's, it didn't matter.

"So tell me, what brings you here?"

• Love
Reactions: envogue
Status
Not open for further replies.