The Guardian Corps

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still others who need to appear

There are indeed. There's still time for them to make their intro posts before we move on.

Room for one more?

I'm aware there's another Zoe, but I started this before reading the other characters so the One Steve Limit will have to be discarded, it seems. @.@

Name: Zoë Clarke
Sexual Orientation: Homosexual (Attracted to women)

Nationality: British
Appearance: Zoë stands at about 170 cm and weighs scarcely over 60 kg. She has a wiry, athletic build, stronger than she looks but not exactly a powerhouse. Her skin is caucasian, and her hair, falling to shoulder length, is primarily black but has platinum blond highlights. Her eyes are stormcloud-gray, and flash akin to storms when she's angry. As a consummate artist, she always has random designs written or painted on random patches of exposed skin, usually her hands. Common designs include gothic wings and curling dragons on her face or arms, or any other place she can easily reach to draw on. Besides this, she has a few permanent tattoos. The most promiment of these are two red pentagrams on the back of her hands, an ourobouros on the back of her neck, and a black gothic cross on her right wrist.

When not wearing her camouflage uniform, Zoë dresses to stand out and unabashedly catch the eye, her repertoire including leather waistcoats awash in straps and buckles worn above low-cut elbow-sleeve shirts (occasionally ones that leave her midriff bare to show off her navel piercing), tight jeans, ankle-high boots, neckwear ranging from scarves to lace chokers to leather collars with heart-shaped clasps, and an arsenal of silver and black rings, bracelets, earrings, ankle-bracelets, and assorted piercings. Where in others stares are greeted with awkwardness, Zoë responds with a sly glance and a barely raised eyebrow that wordlessly asks the viewer if they like what they see.
Biography: Zoë was born to a traditionally Catholic family, and from childhood she was infused with beliefs about God, Jesus Christ, the saints, the sanctity of marriage, and the corrupting qualities of sin.
Zoë is a gender-fluid neo-pagan lesbian. Her parents still can't figure out where they went wrong.
Growing up around a bunch of stuffy adults who took everything their ancestors told them as true, with her marriage planned and expected since before she was ten years old, young Zoë was perpetually trying to figure out why exactly all these strange people believed everything they did. As she grew, she began to question everything around her. Incessantly. Verbally. With no regard for social graces. At thirteen years old, she was the black sheep of the family during a time when the world was terrified. Naturally, black sheep transitions easily to scapegoat. While not exactly receiving blame for the state of affairs, Zoë was the subject of her parents' lashing out at anything beyond the familiar. While never going so far as to strike her physically, her family's insults and withering glares of disapproval were scathing. Or, they would have been to anyone else. Eventually discovering sexual identity, she used it as a weapon against her prudish family. She met people of similar interests who didn't necessarily always call Zoë "she," and her parents had had it when another mother told them that her daughter had introduced Zoë as her boyfriend.

After the incident, they sent him to none other than the Guardians' Academy, where he finally got to explore culture in a place of diversity, where there were fewer older authority figures who looked at him crossways when he snuggled up to a girl completely platonically. This greater cultural exposure led to the expansion of Zoë's religious beliefs. He believes in an all-powerful God that has since moved on to better things and ignores the state of our world, and that all of the entities such as Jesus, Satan, the Saints, ancient gods, Mother Earth, etc are spirits that are shaped by human perception and have legitimate, if limited, ability to influence the physical world. He believes that these entities are conceivably detectable, and that science simply hasn't progressed that far yet.

Far from seeing it as the punishment his parents had intended, Zoë saw the Academy as a whole new playground to explore, a new world to turn on its head. While not exactly great with authority, he was reasonable if his superiors were, and his skill was undeniable. Zoë has an uncanny knack for stealth, camouflage, and precision. Two minutes and a pile of leaves can leave him undetectable, and while not field tested as far, the wounds left by his daggers on the training dummies are grisly-appearing. He treats combat like a ritual dance, and every movement he makes is a graceful part of a larger plan. Every cut, jab, sidestep, and twirl slowly moves himself exactly where he needs to be, until finally he lands a lethal strike.

Upon receiving the news of her deployment, Zoë was ecstatic; a chance to prove that she's worth just as much as everyone else has always been the only thing she wanted.

Personality: "So you're pagan? Do you, like, meet your fellow satanists in basements and chant in weird languages?"
"Obviously; what else would pagans do? In the language of my people, my name means "He-Who-Rides-Rainbows."
"...You're fucking with me, aren't you."

Zoë is flippant, sardonic, and affectionate. She doesn't take well to rudeness, nor will she tolerate bigotry or fundamentalism. She knows most people don't understand the first thing about her, and is perpetually irritated by that. Clueless inquiries yield sarcastic remarks followed by exasperated explanations. With those she knows and is comfortable with, Zoë has no personal space (a good trait for a soldier), climbing in laps, leaning on shoulders, and curling up with whoever sits next to her. Most of this casual flirting is meaningless, and she does it with men and women.

Zoë is passionate and defensive about his beliefs and his identity, and anyone who challenges them will quickly learn that his tongue is sharper than any sword, and rather than rising to provocation or physical confrontation, he'll launch into a dissertation on all of the opposing individuals flaws, usually down three or four generations, peppered with well-placed swear words, all in a casually calm voice that experience has proven to be more effective than any flying rage. To hear him tell it, none has ever matched him in verbal fencing (his tongue has a few other capabilities as well if you stay around through one of his more risqué stories).

Zoë's not prone to excitement or anxiety, and tends to take life moment by moment in her stride. While not exactly cynical, she's well aware of how short her life has the potential to be, and she's resolved to never regret anything she said or didn't say. Despite this and her loyalty to her friends, she has a hidden character flaw that terrifies her more than any monster: Cowardice. Even if she's a realist, Zoë still enjoys life, and all of her confrontations in the past have been verbal or spiritual in nature; she's afraid that she's not mentally equipped for true combat, and a creeping fear of death underlines everything she does.

Equipment: Zoë, given the chance, would take a keris sword (also called a kris or a kalis) over anything else; a symbolic weapon of many Indonesian peoples that are said to be inhabited by spirits which give them mystical powers.
Zoë's keris, named Pernah-Ibu:
P3014765.jpg
P3014767.jpg

hope you don't mind if I drop this wip here

EDIT: aaand it's done

Last edited by a moderator:
@Valentyne That's cool if you're able to get an intro post up soon. I love your character, the first gender fluid one I've seen so I'm excited to see how you play them/what happens!

Not to appear impatient but this RP is progressing slow. Glacial moving slow.

I'm done with my character, so an intro post should be forthcoming soon.

Am putting up a short post to help get everyone situated, hopefully.

I got my intro up, maybe I can help move things along a little.

Good posts.

I'm going to move things on every few days from now on, anyone who signed up and hasn't post will have to have their characters be arriving late.

Morning all. There's been no IC posts for three days so I'll make a post moving us on shortly.

Last chance for anyone who has submitted a character sheet to get their intro post up before we get the RP really going.

Reactions: Saralaxy
Good morning Jinx. Heh, is it cool if I call you that? Or would you prefer Jinxer? Anywayyyy, how ya doing?

So sorry, work has been surprisingly busy lately. I will be making a post around 8:00pm est.

Reactions: Jinxer
Good morning Jinx. Heh, is it cool if I call you that? Or would you prefer Jinxer? Anywayyyy, how ya doing?
Either's fine by me. I'm good ta - looking forward to getting this RP going properly!

As Sanctus is working on something I'll wait until I get back from work tomorrow to put a post up.

Whooo! I can't wait~

Where exactly is the camp? It seems to me that it would have been easier to billet the cadets in the Verdun Citadel, which (at least nowadays) is still more or less intact and still under the jurisdiction of the French Army.

1916-Le%20Pays-Verdun.jpg

there is also an extensive military complex in the forests east of the city
verdun.png

Where exactly is the camp? It seems to me that it would have been easier to billet the cadets in the Verdun Citadel, which (at least nowadays) is still more or less intact and still under the jurisdiction of the French Army.

1916-Le%20Pays-Verdun.jpg

there is also an extensive military complex in the forests east of the city
View attachment 123677

That would have made mote sense but, as you may have noticed, the Major is a complete fool.

It's essentially in the middle of the fields between the city and the woods.

Is the citadel close enough that trying to withdraw to the it would be a viable plan if attacked?

Yes, it's also the place the citizens would evacuate to once they knew of an attack.

Want to post, but will probably wait until tomorrow to see if anyone else posts

Reactions: Jinxer
Status
Not open for further replies.