The Ghost in Apartment 7b

Florence floated up into the apartment, and sat on top of the bookcase, her knees curled up to her chest. She was trying so hard not to cry, but it was difficult. The last 24 hours had been a rollercoaster of emotions for her - from surprised, to happy. to shy, to upset. She just wanted to keep things the same....

She heard the door open, and Greg come in, but she just lay her head on her knees. "Tell me what?" Her voice was unintentionally dull and listless.

"I can't talk to you when you're up next to the ceiling." he said "Can you come down here please?" he waited to see if she would while taking a deep breath. "You're going to think I'm crazy, I know I do. I mean I can't believe I'm telling you this.." he was talking himself in circles and if he didn't slow down he'd have a stroke.

"Florence.. do you think a human could.. I don't know.. like someone whose dead?"

Florence sighed, but floated down and perched on the end of the bed. "I don't know - I never met a ghost while human, so.... I don't know." She was bewildered by the question - what did that have to do with anything?

She watched him curiously - he was obviously nervous - but about what?

"Well I guess it would work the other way round the same way to do you think a ghost can like a human.. I mean really like in a .. well love I guess.." he sat down on the arm rest of the couch and shaking his head. "I don't know I mean its still two people right? With thoughts and feelings and all those other things. So its still possible right... nothing.. wrong with it?"

He hell backwards onto the couch and covered his face with a cussion so she wouldn't see it when he spoke.

"Because I think I like you."

Florence didn't think it was possible for a ghost to be shell-shocked, but she indeed was. She hadn't been expecting this at all! Her mouth opened and closed for a few minutes with nothing coming out as she tried to formulate a coherent sentence.

She thought about how she had felt when he held her hand, and when she looked at him, and she blushed as she realised that she liked him too!

"Really?" She asked shyly, blushing deeply.

"No I just said it for fun and have my face in this cushion because I like the smell.... Yes really!" he dropped the cushion and sat up looking at her. "I've made things weird haven't I.. I always do.." he stood and shook his head. "I've known you a day.. but... well I said it so.. what now?"

Florence rolled her eyes at the sarcasm, but was secretly glad he had because the tension was slightly less now. "You haven't made it weird at all - the truth is that I.... I think I like you too." If she could have went completely red, she would have - but instead her face just turned silvery opaque.

"I didn't say anything before because I knew that we have only known each other for a day. But now.... I don't know what to do." She had never been in this situation before, dead or alive.

He looked at her as it he couldn't believe his ears. "You're not just saying that." it was a statement not a question. "So I've been going out of my mind worry what you would thing fr nothing..." he stepped closer his eyes on her and his hand reaching out to her. "So does mean we're... together?"

He was completely red but standing firm. "If you want..."

Florence took his hand and could feel the warmth spread through her being. She smiled and softly said, "I would like that." She felt ecstatic at this turn of events, and wanted to float up through the roof with happiness.

He pulled her to him and put his other hand on her waist as a smile spread wide across his face. "Its not crazy is it.. to like someone so fast?" he asked as he felt butterflies flutter though his stomach and his face grow warm. "I guess that means I'm crazy for you." it was a bad joke and it was worse to snigger at it himself but it didn't break the spell he seemed to be under.

"If it is then I am crazy too." She whispered softly, smiling. "I am completely crazy....." The feel of his hand on her waist was something new to her, and bolts of electricity shot through her being.

He hesitated his body locking up as he looked into her eyes. He could see the kitchen though them which was weird but he was still looking into her eyes. Its was a long moment that seemed to stretch on forever as his lower lip moved as if he were trying to figure out what to say. "I'm trying to be an adult about this." he said slowly "To tell myself that we haven't known each other long enough, that It can't last long between us, that I'll get older and you won't... what would we do then? If I died just to be with you I know that would hurt you more than anything so I won't even think of doing that so.. for the moment, show me that dance."

His voice was slow and unsure, he was spilling his thoughts into the world with reckless abandon that conflicted with his usual reserved demeanor. "I lot has changed with the world since you were alive so if I do something wrong, you'll tell me right?" He usually wasn't this nervous when it came to relationships but this wasn't his usual relationship. He was going to have to try to take it slow.

Florence was silent for a moment, taking in all that he had said. It would be really hard for them - her being a ghost and never getting any older while he did...... Finally she spoke, slowly saying, "I know we will have quite a few problems - our relationship wouldn't be the norm- but I want to try and make it work. Greg, when you talk to me, I feel like floating up into space. You make me feel better than I have in ninety years."

She smiled warmly at him, looking into his eyes. She leaned slightly closer, so she was closer than she had ever been to anyone before.

"We'll make it work." he said confidently "Somehow..." his eyes remained on her face as he took her hand pulling it up to his chest and holding it there. "There is risk, but there is in any relationship.." He put his other hand on her shoulder, the feeling of touching her still, warm and friendly and now it was matched by a warm pull in his chest that made him smile as he squeezed her hand. He didn't worry if she felt it or worry about anything. "

He leaned forwards just a little more and brushed his lips against hers, closing his eyes and sighing as the feeling of doing so washed over him. They were alone, they could do whatever they wanted, and strangely it didn't feel weird that she was a ghost. "You'll tell me if I go too far?"

Florence wasn't expecting him to kiss her, and so she was surprised when he did, but she felt like squealing with happiness and excitement, She hadn't been expecting to feel anything, being dead, but she oddly did - fireworks everywhere in her being, and her stomach turning flipflops.

"I will - but you won't go too far." She whispered as she leaned up and tentatively kissed him. It was a curious experience - she almost leaned through him, but she didn't. Her being sort of molded itself around him, and it was the best feeling in the world.

His hand slipped from her shoulder first up to her cheek, then down the side of her neck trailing down her back to the back of her neck to cup the back of her head, holding her against his as much as one could someone who could push though him at any moment. His eyes closing lazily as his lips were sometimes inside them. It was... different... odd... but strangely good.

All worry melted away and his shoulders relaxed bringing a soft sigh from him. The moment seemed like it lasted forever, but it didn't and his eyes opened as his hand left hers to gently cup her cheek. "That felt even better than I thought it would." he whispered before lightly brushing his lips with hers again trying to tug on her lip softly with his his head tilting back as he pushed harder. She said he wouldn't go too far, but he left like he might as his hand slipped from her cheek and glided softly down her side. It felt too good to resist.

Florence was electrified - she could feel everything more acutely and she loved it. She could feel his hand move down her side and she relished it. She moaned softly and happily and moved her other hand up to his neck, and gently pressed, trying it out. To her delight it didn't pass through, but rested there.

Suddenly she sank into him, and she found herself staring around the room as if she was looking at it from his...... Oh my God! I am in his mind! She thought to herself frantically. This wasn't supposed to happen! She didn't even know how it had happened, never mind how to get out of there.

She was gone. Disappeared. Had he done something wrong? No she was still here... he could feel her in hi hands, arms, head, heart... everywhere. His breath froze and he tried to look around but couldn't. He couldn't breathe, he couldn't move he couldn't even swivel his eyes.. she was in control. He would have screamed if he could, despair, fear, uncertainty. How did this happen, how, why? He had lowered his defenses, kissed her.. let her in figuratively and literally.

He called out to her in his head, thought her name as hard as he could not knowing if she could hear him. This isn't what he had thought it would be like... he was afraid, but, maybe it wasn't so bad.

Florence was terrified - she didn't know what to do in someone else's head! Florence? She heard a voice in the back of her mind say, and she relaxed slightly. At least he wasn't completely gone.

I'm here - but I don't know how to get out! I just don't know...... she thought back, communicating with him. Help, please! Florence was really scared, and vulnerable right then. If she could have, she would have cried.

So she could hear his thoughts if he wanted her to.. that was good... "You're the ghost... what happened?" he tried to reach her "You possessed me.. try moving my arms. I can't." he was trying to think... "Or try going through my body.. maybe that way you can get out.." he was beginning to like the feeling of her in him but it couldn't last forever. They would need to find a way for her to get out eventually.