The Ghost in Apartment 7b

Florence changed the radio channel, and a new song came on - an upbeat pop song. She listened to it, as she stirred the sauce in the pot and soon began to sing along to the catchy lyrics. Music had definitely changed in the last century for the better she thought. She opened a packet of pasta shells and tipped them into the pot as well, stirring them into the sauce.

Her mother had made her this dish all the time when she was alive, and it was one of her favourite meals. She felt a bit sad that she couldn't eat it anymore, but she was soon cheered up by the thought that she would be able to introduce Greg to it. She was so engrossed in the cooking that she didn't hear him call her, or the sound of the water running.

He took his time finally showering for the first time in his apartment. Then when he had finished he toweled himself dry and and pulled on a pair of cargo shorts and a tshirt... he wondered what someone from the 20s would think about the outfit but hey she needed to learn about he modern world. He followed the sound of the music to the kitchen and raised his eyebrow at the smell and the sound.

"So you like pop...?" he asked sitting down and looking at his essay. "More of a rock guy myself..."

Florence had been so engrossed in the cooking and singing that she didn't hear him come in. She jumped again, and glanced around at him. "Oh -hi. I didn't hear you come in. I don't usually listen to music, but this song came on the radio, and I somehow started singing along. I'm making some lunch for you - is that ok?"

She stirred the pasta into the thickening sauce, and hummed long to the song.

He started writing, may as well finish it while shes busy, nice of her too cook though.

"Thank you." he said before his pen glided across the paper and he started concentrating on making up marks to make sire he made it through the year. Not that that would be a problem, Greg still wanted to get the best mark he could not just for averages but because he wanted everyone to see the changes in his life wouldn't affect him. "I really didn't expect you to cook.."

"I want to - I want to do something nice. And it feels nice to have someone to cook for - gives me a sense of purpose in life." Florence pulled a bowl out of the cupboard, and poured the pasta/sauce mix into it, releasing a burst of steam. "Grub's up." She laughed and set it down in front of him.

"What are you writing about now?" She asked curiously.

"Respiratory infections." he said pushing the paper aside and pulling the bowl towards him. "You didn't have to.." he said poking the pasta with a fork. "And its not about modern liberal civil rights I don't want you to feel you have to do anything for me.. its not like we're going out or anything." the last part was a joke and he finally took a forkful of the pasta... it was good!

He ate more wondering, no, wishing there was some way so share.. to have her taste something again. "Thanks.." he said finally, "I wish I could get you to try pizza prom my favorite place down the road.. or you know anything.."

"I know we aren't - I mean, we just met yesterday - but I like doing stuff for other people. And I want to say thanks anyway for not completely freaking out because there is a ghost in your apartment. Most people would have." Florence had a thought, and grabbed a small canister of basil. She reached over and sprinkled some in the pasta. "Try that now."

She was really interested in cooking, and if she couldn't have been a teacher when she was alive, she would have become a cook. "Pizza?" She hadn't heard of it. "What's that?"

He carried on eating but only managed to have about half of it before he pushed the bowl away. He wasn't really hungry, the rest could be kept for later. "Its like a flat bread with cheese and things on top. I'm sure I'll be eating a lot of it soon so you'll see.

He looked down at his paper, it was basically finished. He also had to think about the implications of what Florence said but later. "So do you want to do anything or do we just wait for midnight and then walk?"

Florence thought about this new thing called pizza, and smiled. "Ok." She picked up the bowl, and set it over on the counter. "Um, I don't mind what we do - maybe you could teach me all about that medical stuff? I would love to learn about it."

"Do you have four years?" he asked jokingly "Because thats how long its going to take me plus a dissertation." he shook his head "And I've had enough of it for one week." he shook his head "This place though, what can you tell me about it, why was it empty so long and why did you choose this place when you don't really need a place at all. I mean aren't spirits meant to move on?"

He looked at her "I don't suppose you automatically know the answers to those.."

"Well....." Florence thought about it as she sat on the counter again. "I don't really know much about the building, but I think the main reason that this place is so empty is because of me. People have come and gone, but they all have complained of hearing noises and they automatically think of ghosts." She smirked.

"And I was a bit stuck for places when I was kicked out of my other place, so this was the only place I could find. I don't know about the moving-on bit but I want to stay on Earth as much as possible." She stopped there - the truth was that she was scared of moving on, and wanted to delay it as much as possible.

"I always thought when you died that was it, there was nothing waiting for you, no choices, no chance to stay nothing. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to become a doctor, to help others avoid that for as long as possible... I guess I should have become a psychic." that last part was a joke but he stood and walked around the table to her. "Before I met you I didn't think ghosts existed... but not I'm kinda glad they do."

Florence was surprised about this. She cocked her head to the side, and asked curiously, "Why are you glad about that?" She watched him for an answer.

"Well I got a friend out of it didn't I?" he said matter of factly "And its one less question to be answered.. not that I'm going to drag you off to the physics professor and ask him to explain you and probably make his career." he shook his head slowly. "I wouldn't want to turn you into a laboratory pet. Since you'd technically have no human rights being dead and all. "But you know this mean so much of what I thought I knew is wrong. I don't know if you've read anything by H. P. Lovecraft, hes an author from your time.. but if ghosts exist then some of what he wrote about might be too... I was a huge nerd about his stories a while back."

"I actually loved ghost stories when I was alive." Florence grinned at the irony of it. "But now that I actually am a ghost, I realise that they were just stories, with very little truth in them. I mean, could you imagine me living in an old mansion and spooking someone?" She laughed.

"I never read H.P Lovecraft, but my mother did, and she loved him. What other books do you like?" She had been a fan of the Bronte sisters, and still was. "Ever read Wuthering Heights? Or Jane Eyre?"

"I'm afraid not..." he said surprised her mother had read what amounted to the beginning of cosmic horror science fiction. "Though spooking people might be fun...." he said getting a mischievous look. "Well might be fun for a few hours anyway but not years.. Have you ever used your ghostliness to scare anyone on purpose?" he asked "Might be something we could do together if you want to.. I mean I don't want you to feel bad about scaring people or being a ghost..."

Now he felt bad for even suggesting it... "No thats.. not a good idea." Maybe Halloween though we could go out... you can wear a costume right.. if you can pick stuff up it must be possible."

He didn't even realize he had just asked her out.

Florence had never even considered a bit of spooking before, but now that it had been suggested, she liked the idea. "No - it sounds like a great idea! I need some more excitement in my life - or lack of it. Though, getting a new roommate is quite exciting as well." Even though she was semi-transparent, her face seemed to glow with the idea of it.

She paused for a moment, and considered what he had said. Suddenly it hit her that he had asked her out! She blushed, and murmured, "Like a date?"

If he had been eating anything he would have choked on it. "A.. what..."

He thought about what he had said and almost facepalmed.. almost.. "Yeah.. a date I guess.. Its soon anyway. But you can go right? In a costume... We'll make them and.."

He trailed off it was a stupid idea.

"Well...." Florence said thoughtfully, "I can't put on a costume, but I could materialise one onto my body!" She closed her eyes, and concentrated. In the next second, she was wearing a full-body cat-suit in black Lycra, complete with fluffy ears upon her head. "How aboutb that?"

She spun around for him to see the tail which had also appeared and was attached to the bottom of the cat-suit.

He was impressed but there was still one problem. "You're still a little transparent, that was the point of the costume." he said with a laugh. "You look good though, maybe he was in for Halloween, theres 90 years of movies you've missed out of." his mind boggled. "Wow I think cinema was just getting started when you were alive theres so much to show you.." he didn't know where to even get started.. but that would come later.

"So do you want to do something?"