The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
WITTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

(Ey, good to see so many other vets trying on new characters too)

Oh yeah, Mosis, that'd be awesome. I don't want to just launch Gelina headfirst into the party if I can help it lol
Sooooooooooooo basically...

After getting fairly trounced by unfathomable evil the previous day, our party finally reached Winterhold. Things there are pretty grimdark, to say the least: children are disappearing, the townsfolk are afflicted with terrible nightmares every night, dark figures are sometimes glimpsed in the surrounding blizzards, dead bodies going missing, etc.. Most of the locals blame the College of Winterhold, and there's been at least one riot/semi-coordinated attack against their gates. Our party is really just supposed to be passing through but the Jarl has personally asked them to try to help the town. He thinks the source of all the bad vibes is in one of two nearby caves, and he'd like our party to go investigate them. As of now, the party is deliberating between themselves on how to split up and which caves to explore, after which we'll be leaving town to do some adventuring and probably walk into the jaws of some great and ancient evil because that's how we roll.

So you could theoretically jump in with our party now before we leave town, since we're all just hanging out at the Jarl's longhouse at the moment. The Jarl's offer is extended to any able-bodied volunteers, not just members of our envoy, so if Gelina is feeling particularly altruistic or curious perhaps she'd like to throw in with us. Or you could meet us later on after we leave town (we should be moving on very soon, if I'm not mistaken). You could meet one of the two groups as they travel towards the caves, and decide to join up for whatever reason. OR maybe Gelina is travelling nearby and seeks shelter in one of the caves just as we arrive? That way she'd probably get thrown into whatever action is about to go down (I'm assuming action is about to go down, walking blithely into dangerous caves is sort of our modus operandi) and then she'd have a pretty natural reason to join up with the others.

Either way, you'd have to pick which group of the party she'd join up with. Right now the party is split pretty much in half. One group, travelling to the nearest cave, is composed of a grumpy pirate, a wizard, and a kid who's probably in over his head. The other group (also sometimes known as "The Cool Kids Club") is travelling to the farther cave, and is composed of a big colorful lizard, a grumpy old veteran, a grumpy young neer-do-well, and a vampire (in case you couldn't tell, this is totally the better group).

Someone else could probably fill in anything I missed but that's about it really.

Oooooh, lots of options. On one hand Gelina would instinctively shy away from places full of people, but if she saw a chance to get on the Jarl's good side she'd jump on it harder than the jewels on his fingers. Maybe she just sort of wanders into the longhouse a little late and offers some help? (For the sake of balance, I'll go with the nerd group. Which will soon transform into the VIP Cave Adventure Club)

The other group (also sometimes known as "The Cool Kids Club") is travelling to the farther cave, and is composed of a big colorful lizard, a grumpy old veteran, a grumpy young neer-do-well, and a vampire (in case you couldn't tell, this is totally the better group).
*secretly does the secret handshake*

Reactions: Mosis Tosis
Don't worry about the current groups, Witty. The party will come together again someday, and we can put aside the Cool Kids Club and the VIP Cave Adventures Club (official title pending) and become the truest club of all: The Furry Club (Plus Handful of Weirdos Subcommittee).

Reactions: Robeatics
Grumpy old veteran ):<

Anybody got posts you'd like to get off your chests? I know Dervs wants to post, but I figured some of you might be working on something. I also hope Lib doesn't get offended at the things Sevari says. Everyone already knows he's the resident asshole.

I look forward to the moment when Sevari makes Gelina cry. It will happen and it will be merciless.

I look forward to the moment when Sevari makes Gelina cry. It will happen and it will be merciless.
But will she be crying because her feelings are hurt or will she be crying because she's trying to garner sympathy towards her and dislike towards Sevari from the rest of the group? HOORAY FOR COMPLEX CHARACTERS :DDDD

Gelina's pretty cool, I wonder what she'll be like in the group environment.

Soul, I love you for pointing that out. And honestly I'm not entirely sure how she'll react to being in the group, I'll have to see how the other characters carry themselves around her. Lots of tiptoeing and cursory prodding on her part.

Soul, I love you for pointing that out. And honestly I'm not entirely sure how she'll react to being in the group, I'll have to see how the other characters carry themselves around her. Lots of tiptoeing and cursory prodding on her part.
I think a good question to ask is if she even knows the answer to my question. Is it even a conscious decision to do it or is it just in her nature after trying to cut off the parts of herself that allow her to become attached to people? I'm looking forward to watching her develop as a character as the RP goes on.

Double posting because spoilers are hard apparently. AND YOU SUCKERS THOUGHT THE MUSIC THREAD WAS DEAD.

The Black Keys: I'm actually with Dervish on this one, I really can't stand the Black Keys. The stuff that gets thrown on the radio is fairly boring and uninspired (if I have to hear "Gold on the Ceiling" one more time I might blow my brains out), but even their earlier stuff kind of irks me for some reason. I just find it kind of boring, practically no variation in instrumentation or dynamics (but I know plenty of people that think I'm crazy for thinking this, so I'm more than willing to admit that I'm probably in the wrong about it). But man, they come off as serious douches, regardless of their music. These are the guys that said "Rock music is dying because people like shitty bands like Nickleback" and then went on to make two albums full of radio-friendly pop-rock songs while they raked in the cash. I'm not even saying that music was bad, but if you're going to "sellout" and make a billion dollars off of radio singles you probably shouldn't be complaining about the system, you know?Agh, anyway, back on topic. For the song you posted, I did like it more than what I usually hear from Black Keys, but it still didn't hook me. I actually liked what I've heard from their newest album, seemed like they were trying to mix up their sound a bit, go for a bit more funk (also it really reminded me of Broken Bells, which is fantastic and more likely the result of Danger Mouse's efforts more than either Auerbach or Carney). What did you think of it?

Hendrix: Well who could complain about Hendrix. Everyone always goes crazy about his guitar-playing (and rightfully so, since he was a goddamned master), but I think he's great because he really brought the whole package: those smoky vocals, that stage presence...it's all fantastic. Not sure if I've heard this particular song but it's as good as one would expect, thanks for posting it.

Sublime: Never a huge Sublime fan but I always liked this song. Combined with the video, it is just so 90's. Also, I liked this song a lot more after I learned that the lead singer died of heroin overdose and that this song was published posthumously. Turns what should be a feel-good song into something a bit sadder, and gives the song a really weird emotional depth. I'm probably a bad person for thinking that.

Aesop Rock: Daaaaaamn. I've heard of this guy but never really checked him out, and now I'm seriously regretting that. This song is fantastic, thanks for posting it. I've been looking to round out my library with some hip-hop (as of now, that category is pretty much only occupied by Gorillaz), think this might be a great place to start looking. Definitely going on some Spotify playlists.

Sage Francis: And speaking of hip-hop, I quite liked this as well. Definitely more of a slow-burn, general groove track, great rhythm. Lyrics seemed a little bit too on-the-nose-ra-ra-fight-the-fatcats for my taste but I'm sure this sort of social commentary really speaks to a lot of people.

Leftöver Crack: Think I'm really starting to get a picture of the type of music you like. Lots of punk, good guitar riffs, etc. Can't say too much about this one. Ska not really my cup of tea, and the vocals kind of turn me off of it. Growly vocals never "click" with me, one of the main reasons I never got into metal. Still a fun track. (Also that random umlaut really bugs me for some reason).

Ludovico Einaudi - I swear I've heard this somewhere before, but I can't place where. Hmm. Anyway, it's a great piece! I find it hard to say much about it, since I tend to focus primarily on lyrics and this obviously has none, but this is one I'd definitely throw on a "background music" playlist. Like Derv said, good writing inspiration perhaps, certainly very emotional.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: I believe Dervish said something about getting a Black Keys vibe from this, and I can sorta see that, but I personally like this a hell of a lot more. Perhaps they share some similar characteristics (sparse instrumentation, basic beat structure, etc), but this song has an edge to it that I think most BK songs lack. Obviously very punk influenced, with a lot of call backs to earlier decades. This song just oozes personality, and judging by the video the band itself is sort of selling an image, and I can dig that. Head-bobbing good time with a rock-steady finish, I really liked this.

Townes Van Zandt: OMG THAT HAT IS HUGE. I've commented on this guy a bit before but I really want to point out how much a video like this lends to the song. Like, is there any better setting for this kind of performance? What appears to be a cabin, with woman and an old black guy smoking in the background...what more could you want? This is probably the best representation of "pure" music: just a down-to-earth dude and his guitar, singing tragic songs about banditos. Not the kind of music I'd listen to regularly, but I have a huge amount of respect for this guy.

I think a good question to ask is if she even knows the answer to my question. Is it even a conscious decision to do it or is it just in her nature after trying to cut off the parts of herself that allow her to become attached to people? I'm looking forward to watching her develop as a character as the RP goes on.

It's awesome that you're picking up on so much of her character, almost better than I did while I was writing her. I think that's the best part of RPing, is being all collaborative and building one another up into better writers.

I'll start on my post after I'm done getting caught up on the current scene. This is way easier than VotD, seeing as I'm not behind by like a year and a half.

It's awesome that you're picking up on so much of her character, almost better than I did while I was writing her. I think that's the best part of RPing, is being all collaborative and building one another up into better writers.

I'll start on my post after I'm done getting caught up on the current scene. This is way easier than VotD, seeing as I'm not behind by like a year and a half.
Yea, lots of posts, sure, but real-time, not a lot has happened. I wish LibCat was here, his character is another that I'd like to see him really delve into and wonder about what kind of person he really is and what goes through his mind and makes him do what he does. The character he's made is a naïve lad in over his head and its a character concept I'm a fan of as well, so helping him to really flesh out the character will be fun for him as well as me because there is no better feeling than having a complex and realized character. You remember Sevari when he first started out. His most defining characteristic was his silence and I didn't view him as a person with wants, needs, dreams and feelings at first.

Point being, having us around to discuss all of our characters does us some good, as it motivates us when we have people reading about them and we in turn become better writers, as you've said. I know I have through the endless conversations about Sevari, Marassa and Zaveed that Dervs and I have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.