Wilco:

Wintersleep:

The Antlers:

The Envy Corps:

The Features:

Frightened Rabbit:

Mimicking Birds:

We Were Promised Jetpacks:

If you want some Romanian/German power metal about European werewolf folklore with some religious overtones and some badass vocals and organs, you have come to the right band.

Also being drunk is the best time to properly appreciate music, I find.
I never thought I needed that specific type of music in my life, but apparently I do :P

And on the contrary, I think I get too easily distracted while drunk. I like to really focus on music when I listen to it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish
Also being drunk is the best time to properly appreciate music, I find.

True dat. The closes I've come to nirvana is when I'm slammed out of my mind with a guitar in my hand and blasting the heaviest shit I can find. Bonus points if all the windows and doors are open, thus allowing my flowing locks (I wish) to drift in the cool night breeze.

True dat. The closes I've come to nirvana is when I'm slammed out of my mind with a guitar in my hand and blasting the heaviest shit I can find. Bonus points if all the windows and doors are open, thus allowing my flowing locks (I wish) to drift in the cool night breeze.
I just get really friendly with everyone. I'm really silent and look like I'm contemplating some philosophy when I'm sober but fuck me if I keep the air of mystery when I'm fucking drunk.

Edit:
The Black Keys, namely their Brothers album and those before it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-502Lj-lU

Obligatory Jimi Hendrix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzAx_w9XoC0

Sublime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc3ZrmhDN4

Aesop Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBGCOCxLgA

Sage Francis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3spSAvJkm8

Leftöver Crack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu9lf2_hFNE

Ludovico Einaudi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDDY5nVA3A

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYkhNWIdra0

Townes Van Zandt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4

A few others, but that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
This is the shit I force the MJ store I market for to play. Go figure, these are my jams.

And finally...

• Thank You
MJ store? Oh yea, I keep forgetting that's legal here. Evergreen State whoop whoop!

Also, pretty rad song selection. That second song reeks of German. I love it.

Reactions: Poeta Perdido
I'm going through and listening to each and every song you guys are listing and writing my thoughts on it, but fuck it, bonus tracks for me:

Turisas:

The Gaslight Anthem:

The Offspring:

Red Hot Chili Peppers:

Favorite bands, you say?

Rise Against:

Alestorm:

Suidakra:

Amon Amarth:

Sabaton:

Social Distortion:

Bad Religion:

Powerwolf:

Nightwish:

Xandria:

Great Big Sea:

RA: I thought I remembered Rise Against being one of your favorite bands. I never really gave them a good listen, but I think I will after hearing this song, I actually really liked it. That bridge into the last verse really sealed it for me, totally took me by surprise. The lyrics confuse me though. "We'll sneak out, when they sleep, and sail off in the night," ok cool. Then 20 seconds later it's "We won't back down, we won't run and hide!" Dude that's exactly what you just said you're going to do, make up your mind! (I'm mostly kidding, of course). I'd also like to point out two things from this music video: the guy at 42 seconds who is apparently solo-moshing (is that a thing that happens outside of hardcore concerts? One-man mosh pits?), and the single shot of the sound engineer at 2:00. I like how focused and intense he looks compared to everything else.

Alestorm: Yeah pirates! Very nihilistic pirates lol. I understand this song is a narrative, but I'm going to pretend that they're talking about Captain Morgan rum and use this as my shot-hammering song next time I'm at a party with captain. It must have been fun to be a pirate: even when you get cursed to an early grave, it's still apparently an ale-soaked, chantey-singing affair. And then you get to maraud around in Hell! Which come to think of it, was also where Captain Morgan said he was going to end up, so that'll be a really awkward reunion. Anyway, this is a really fun song.

Suidakra: Well, did Maximus get to the wall or not? Goddamnit Suidakra, you cut off the video too soon. I'm not a huge fan of growly-vocals, mostly because I'm terrible at understand them, so I'm glad this video came with text exposition. From what I can tell, it's a death metal song about the power of friendship (or rather, being bros with the people who you fight alongside), so I can dig that. Also someone should really help that lady up, she's getting all dirty.

AA: Everyone in this video has fantastic hair, except for that one guy with a tonsure at 1:02. Get your shit together dude, you're making everyone else look bad. Again, the vocals aren't really my cup of tea but I actually had a lot of fun watching the video, so that was worth it. Also was that one guy using a flaming goddamned shield? Someone please tell me that was a real practice because it's seriously badass.

Sabaton: Just going down your list, this is my favorite track so far besides maybe Satellite. I was surprised to find myself really grooving to this track. I liked the string intro, I loved the vocal harmonies, I liked the lyrics, I really loved that guitar solo...yeah. I don't really consider myself a fan of metal but I think this band just earned a spot on my list of bands to check out.

SD: Hey I've heard of these guys! Think I've actually heard a few of their tracks before, liked them just about as much as this one (which is to say, I liked them quite a bit). Another for the list!

BR: Another band I know! I've never heard this track, but I actually really liked it! This guy's voice is pretty unique, which is always a good thing. And the whole thing's short, sweet and to the point. Definite jam song I found myself nodding along to. And I love the lyrics, just dripping with all that frustrated sarcasm. THE LIST GROWS.

Powerwolf: Fuck it, I love this song. I've already said how much I love the name + album art, but I looked these guys up and one of the founding members is actually named Matthew Motherfuckin' Greywolf? Like goddamn, this just keeps getting better and better. I also see they do a lot of songs based on vampire/werewolf/demonic folklore, which is awesome. That's the thing I'm always noticing about metal, how bands tend to carry themes. Just on this list we've got pirate metal, viking metal and now werewolf metal. It's really interesting, and I can't think of any other genre that really does something similar off the top of my head. Any insights on that? Either way this song was just a blast to listen to.

Nightwish: Hey I know this band too! Damn I'm on a roll. I feel like I should like Nightwish, but they never really clicked for me. I like the instrumentation, and I like the lyrics. Can't really say I've ever really been bored when listening to one of their songs...I think it's the female vocals, she's way too high and sing-songy for me, especially in context with the music. The vocals sound great in harmony, though.

Xandria: Same problem I have with Nightwish, strangely, just those female vocals. I guess it's just got like an operatic vibe that doesn't work for me. After looking them up a bit though, it seems they've had like 70 different frontwomen, so maybe I just don't like this particular one lol. Either way, I can still appreciate the instrumentation (though I still prefer Nightwish, I think, which is interesting since they strike me as similar bands just upon first listen).

GBS: Haha what a way to finish! Don't have much to say beyond that this song is incredibly entertaining.

Thanks for sharing these Dervish, was quite a lot of fun listening to all of them (and not to mention, a welcome break from studying). I think I might look a bit deeper into Rise Against, Sabaton and Powerwolf. You got any recommendations on which albums to start with?

• Thank You
Offspring is a great band. Maybe when google chrome stops fucking around and crashing so much it's gotten 8 DUIs I can fix my links and be a cool kid again.

Moziz music time!

Hey Rosetta: Usually I'm not a big fan of piano-heavy music, and for the first half of the song I was starting to wonder if it was going to remain the same tone and pitch the whole time, so the pick-up was a welcome surprise. A big problem I have with the song is the vocals kind of get blurred with the music, if not outright overpowered by them.

Modest Mouse: These guys never disappoint. Having tried to play a few of their songs on guitar before, it's deceptively technical playing in these songs. Did they change vocalists? I don't recognize him. It speaks to the band's consistency and style that even if I didn't have the title to work off of, I'd immediately think it's one of their songs. This isn't as catchy as their other songs, although it's very pleasant, although I could see myself skipping this one a lot if I had it in my library.

The Dear Hunter: This song wastes no time getting started! Kind of reminds me of Muse's better stuff. I get kind of a dark carnival vibe from this song, it's pretty interesting. I really enjoy the instrumentation, and the back-up vocals give it a lot of depth. Very cool song! I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
Wilco: This is a very mellow, dreamy song. It is super pleasant and I would probably doze off if I were listening to this right now if I were lying down with some earbuds in. I like it, although I don't have a lot to add to it.

Wintersleep: Oh hey! I know these guys! The song opens strong, and stays strong throughout. A pretty darn good tune, if I do say so.
The Antlers: I would throw this on a feel good song playlist. I really like the singer's voice and the music's very upbeat and light. I always find a mixture of acoustic and electric guitar very pleasing, and the percussion has a really nifty drum line, although you kind of have to dig into it. My only issue with the song is it's one of those songs that I'd have to listen to a few times or pull up the lyrics to catch most of the lyrics because it kind of blends in. Not a huge issue with the song, because it's certainly one I wouldn't mind listening to a few times.

The Envy Corps: Even after turning up my speakers a bit, I had a really hard time understanding what the guy was saying during the super soft intro, then to my surprise the instrumentations break out into some Modest Mouse-esque melody. The singer has a pretty powerful voice and a great range, I really like this one! I found myself head bobbing along with the song, which is a pretty good subconscious sign I'm really getting into it.
The Features: Wasn't a huge fan of this one, although the drum line was neat. Main problem I had with it was nothing really was distinctive and it kept very level through the entire song.

Frightened Rabbit: Quite the opposite of the last song! Immediately it grabs onto you with some powerful music, and so far I like the vocals here the most of all the songs, and lo and behold they're very distinct and don't get drowned out by the music. I could follow the lyrics pretty smoothly for most of the song. This sounds like a pretty great drinking song. This is easily my favorite song you've listed so far. I think I might look into more with these guys.

Mimicking Birds: Unrelated to the music, but I found the album art to be very distracting. What the hell is that, a testicle tree? For the song itself, pretty nice acoustic guitar, and very lovely harmonics. These guys kind of remind me of Of Monsters and Men. This was a pretty blink and you miss it track. I really liked this one!

We Were Promised Jetpacks: First off? Fucking great band name. Second? This song immediately caught my interest with a strong head bobbing into. There's some great build up to this song that just keeps adding more and more to the song, which is fantastic. It's not a song you just settle into, because it's constantly switching it up and keeping such a high pace and energy to it. This was a surprising song to end off with, considering most of your songs are a super mellow. Even by the end of it, it felt like it was offering something new. I think this is the most dynamic song you've embedded.

I quite like your taste of music! Not something I would listen to regularly, but it's definitely something I would enjoy on a road trip or during a get together. You've pretty much the most laid back and mellow taste of music of anybody I know, and it's pretty consistent haha. Thanks for sharing! Now…

Soul music time! You are a dick for not linking properly. Ten points from Hufflepuff, you dirty dish rag.

The Black Keys: I don't know why, I never liked these guys, and Patrick Carney's hipster glasses and smug ass attitude never helped their cause in my books, and it doesn't help they usually pick shitty songs for the radio, so this is the first time I've heard the song. But, enough preamble, the song! I get the impression they were going for a more classic rock sound for this particular track, which is kinda nifty and different from most of the stuff I've heard. It's actually driving me nuts because they sound like they're paying homage to somebody but I can't fucking figure it out. Steve Ray Vaughn? ZZ Top? A bastard lovechild of the two? I have no idea, but it was a pretty good song, although it pretty much kept pretty consistent for the nearly six minute duration of the song.

Jimi Hendrix: Nice! It's a lesser-played song, but this one is fantastic. It's songs like this that really do a fantastic job at showcasing why Hendrix was legendary, and there's a lot going on in this song that instead of turning into a giant mess just compliments each other really well. There's not much else to say about this song; it's pretty much perfect.

Sublime: I just got shotgunned in the face with a nostalgia cannon. Although I hear this all the time on the radio, this is pretty much one of those staple songs that dominated the radio in the late 90s, which is pretty much a huge chunk of my childhood. I was never the biggest Sublime fan, but I always really liked this song.

Aesop Rock: I never heard of these guys until today, but this is exactly the kind of rap I love. Crazy music video, I have no idea what the hell is going on, but I do love hand drawn animation like this. I am glad I didn't try watching this while drunk. Really good song!

Sage Francis: A pretty politically charged rap song, this is actually pretty cool. The lyrics suck you right in, and are thankfully easy to follow along with. This is a pretty powerful song, I like it a lot, it has a pretty heavy, hard hitting message that I appreciate. If only mainstream rap was more like this instead of the gangster shit.

Leftover Crack: Hahaha, I always knew you had good tastes. Ska is criminally underrated, it's such a fun genre, and these guys pretty much mix it with punk which should be sacrilegious but its fucking badass. This song is great; it makes me want to tear shit up.

Ludovico Einaudi: Had no idea what to expect when I opened that link, but your sensitive side is showing, broooo. But seriously, this song is beautiful. Good instrumental pieces are always welcome in my books, and this one is actually emotionally evocative. This would make a fantastic piece to write to. I think I'm going to have to save it. Thank you for introducing this to my life.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Definite Black Keys vibe from this one. This video is making me wish I had one of those bigass vans for doing a road trip with friends. I get the impression these guys are nostalgic for the 70s, this whole video reminds me of photo albums of when my parents were around my age. Anyway, the song's really catchy and has some nice layers to it. I always love when a song keeps adding something every phrase and keeps building on itself. Pretty rad song there buddy.

Townes Van Zandt: Old school country. I love how this song's a story, which is why I love concept albums because I find those are the most meaningful albums. Watching him play's mesmerizing, it's amazing how rich of a sound you can get with just finger picking. A really nice song, it represents a legacy that country used to have that's kind of long gone now with the shit that pollutes the airwaves now.
And I will get to Pelle's stuff next!

Reactions: Mosis Tosis
RA: I thought I remembered Rise Against being one of your favorite bands. I never really gave them a good listen, but I think I will after hearing this song, I actually really liked it. That bridge into the last verse really sealed it for me, totally took me by surprise. The lyrics confuse me though. "We'll sneak out, when they sleep, and sail off in the night," ok cool. Then 20 seconds later it's "We won't back down, we won't run and hide!" Dude that's exactly what you just said you're going to do, make up your mind! (I'm mostly kidding, of course). I'd also like to point out two things from this music video: the guy at 42 seconds who is apparently solo-moshing (is that a thing that happens outside of hardcore concerts? One-man mosh pits?), and the single shot of the sound engineer at 2:00. I like how focused and intense he looks compared to everything else.

Alestorm: Yeah pirates! Very nihilistic pirates lol. I understand this song is a narrative, but I'm going to pretend that they're talking about Captain Morgan rum and use this as my shot-hammering song next time I'm at a party with captain. It must have been fun to be a pirate: even when you get cursed to an early grave, it's still apparently an ale-soaked, chantey-singing affair. And then you get to maraud around in Hell! Which come to think of it, was also where Captain Morgan said he was going to end up, so that'll be a really awkward reunion. Anyway, this is a really fun song.

Suidakra: Well, did Maximus get to the wall or not? Goddamnit Suidakra, you cut off the video too soon. I'm not a huge fan of growly-vocals, mostly because I'm terrible at understand them, so I'm glad this video came with text exposition. From what I can tell, it's a death metal song about the power of friendship (or rather, being bros with the people who you fight alongside), so I can dig that. Also someone should really help that lady up, she's getting all dirty.

AA: Everyone in this video has fantastic hair, except for that one guy with a tonsure at 1:02. Get your shit together dude, you're making everyone else look bad. Again, the vocals aren't really my cup of tea but I actually had a lot of fun watching the video, so that was worth it. Also was that one guy using a flaming goddamned shield? Someone please tell me that was a real practice because it's seriously badass.

Sabaton: Just going down your list, this is my favorite track so far besides maybe Satellite. I was surprised to find myself really grooving to this track. I liked the string intro, I loved the vocal harmonies, I liked the lyrics, I really loved that guitar solo...yeah. I don't really consider myself a fan of metal but I think this band just earned a spot on my list of bands to check out.

SD: Hey I've heard of these guys! Think I've actually heard a few of their tracks before, liked them just about as much as this one (which is to say, I liked them quite a bit). Another for the list!

BR: Another band I know! I've never heard this track, but I actually really liked it! This guy's voice is pretty unique, which is always a good thing. And the whole thing's short, sweet and to the point. Definite jam song I found myself nodding along to. And I love the lyrics, just dripping with all that frustrated sarcasm. THE LIST GROWS.

Powerwolf: Fuck it, I love this song. I've already said how much I love the name + album art, but I looked these guys up and one of the founding members is actually named Matthew Motherfuckin' Greywolf? Like goddamn, this just keeps getting better and better. I also see they do a lot of songs based on vampire/werewolf/demonic folklore, which is awesome. That's the thing I'm always noticing about metal, how bands tend to carry themes. Just on this list we've got pirate metal, viking metal and now werewolf metal. It's really interesting, and I can't think of any other genre that really does something similar off the top of my head. Any insights on that? Either way this song was just a blast to listen to.

Nightwish: Hey I know this band too! Damn I'm on a roll. I feel like I should like Nightwish, but they never really clicked for me. I like the instrumentation, and I like the lyrics. Can't really say I've ever really been bored when listening to one of their songs...I think it's the female vocals, she's way too high and sing-songy for me, especially in context with the music. The vocals sound great in harmony, though.

Xandria: Same problem I have with Nightwish, strangely, just those female vocals. I guess it's just got like an operatic vibe that doesn't work for me. After looking them up a bit though, it seems they've had like 70 different frontwomen, so maybe I just don't like this particular one lol. Either way, I can still appreciate the instrumentation (though I still prefer Nightwish, I think, which is interesting since they strike me as similar bands just upon first listen).

GBS: Haha what a way to finish! Don't have much to say beyond that this song is incredibly entertaining.

Thanks for sharing these Dervish, was quite a lot of fun listening to all of them (and not to mention, a welcome break from studying). I think I might look a bit deeper into Rise Against, Sabaton and Powerwolf. You got any recommendations on which albums to start with?
Thanks for taking the time! :D

Rise Against has some really deep and powerful songs in their catalog, they're a pretty politically motivated band and if you're interested in some more tracks of theirs, I can definitely point you in the right direction; they've been around for a long time. And yeah, at a lot of rock/ metal concerts it usually starts off with one guy trying to mosh, and either people avoid him like the goofy plague he is, or they get into it and then the entire front 1/3rd of the concert turns into a free for all of battered bodies. If you go to a concert like that to enjoy the music, stick more towards the back. You'll thank me later. Also, they put on a really damn good concert!

Alestorm is a super fun band that's basically entirely themed around piratey goodness, and they're easily my favorite band I've seen live and have an awesome and approachable stage presence, a great sense of humour, and some fantastic tracks. Some are really goofy, others are more serious like Captain Morgan's Revenge, and sometimes it's about historical events or people or going back in time to fight Vikings, or going into the future to battle undead space squids. Being an actual pirate was a pretty shitty gig; all sorts of health problems, pretty much no chance of retiring peacefully, and only getting a fraction of the booty the ship takes in compared to the captain and how he decides to divide it. Oddly enough, they were a pretty democratic and non-judgmental group of people that despite being a bunch of nasty brigands, they were largely seen as folk heroes by the common folk and women and escaped slaves could find a meaningful place amongst them that was unheard of for the time. Makes it a super interesting time period!

Suidakra: Heavy metal growling does take a lot to get used to, kind of like wine, but it really helps to read the lyrics for songs the first time with a new band and then you get adjusted to it. You end up with some of the most interesting and powerful lyrics in any genre, and the album March of Conquest is from is a concept album about Maximus' ascent to becoming the Emperor of Rome and it charts the course of his life. It's actually one of my all time favorite albums. They do have songs where they're just singing instead of growling, which I can go dig up for you, but goddamn it's some powerful stuff.

Amon Amarth is actually one of the easier bands to understand their growling, so it's a good place to start. Twilight of the Thunder God is a fucking badass song about Ragnarok and how Thor is combating one of Loki's children, Jormungandr the world serpent, a creature so vast it could encompass the Earth and reach its own tail. It also alludes to Fenrir, the great wolf that was another one of Loki's children that pretty much kickstarted Ragnarok, arising. Basically, the song boils down to the Norse god of thunder is murdering a massive sea creature to death with Mjolnir. If you need more than that, you need help. As for the flaming shield guy, I don't know off the top of my head if any Vikings set their shields on fire (probably not, because that would weaken it and get uncomfortable to hold onto in a hurry), but we're also talking about a culture that sometimes had people ingest psychoactive compounds and run into battle high as fuck with super crazy, I don't give a fuck battle fury expecting to die and go to Valhalla for their bravery and the fact that they must have been totally demoralizing to fight because they pretty much ignored all pain until they died while clearly having no care if they died while literally making it their life's purpose to murder the shit out of you personally. Oh, those Vikings.

Sabaton's a fantastic band I discovered recently, they sing a lot about historical events and often from multiple perspectives. A Lifetime of War is actually the first song of theirs I heard and I am not at all surprised its the one that stuck with you, because it is incredibly powerful and the lyrics actually caused me to stop was I was doing and take it all in the first time.

Social Distortion's a great punk band. I usually listen to that track when I need to get amped up to do something.

Bad Religion's one of the grandfather bands of punk and they're still touring to this day. Glad you find the lyrics to be awesome, because they really are goddamn biting and critical of a lot of authority figures who don't get scrutinized nearly enough. Fun fact: Greg Graffin, the lead singer, has a PhD and he teaches paleontology and life sciences at Cornell University. Dude's really fucking smart, is what I'm trying to say.

Ahh, Powerwolf, a buried treasure of awesomeness. And you're definitely right about metal bands carrying themes, and my earlier description that they're practically modern day bards still holds true. Metal is such an incredibly diverse genre that there's pretty much something for everyone, and I've actually learned a lot about history, mythology, and folklore since I started getting into metal; it actually made me interested enough in what they're singing about to do some armchair research, which is like candy for me because I goddamn love history. I also had a huge fixation on werewolves and the lore surrounding them in high school, so Powerwolf definitely hit the right chord for me. Helps the guy has some crazy powerful vocals, too. The thing about metal is most bands aren't really doing it to get rich and famous, they're doing it because they're passionate enough about something to create music about it. It creates a lot of really culturally insightful bands that have some real depth to them that you'd never know about because they're not really on the radio and certainly never on popular music charts (save for a few of the big names that tend to float around rock stations like Pantera). There's something really pure about the genre, for the most part, which is why I really got into metal hard. There's nothing really cynical about how they go about making music, and you get a real impression of love and passion being put into their work, which puts it leagues above most popular music just because it means something because they write and produce and compose all of their stuff, and a lot of them get involved with world famous orchestras to compose some of their albums. I'll stop gushing about it now.

Fun fact with Nightwish, they've had three singers so far. That one there is Anette, who was recently replaced by Floor Jensen after a falling out with the band, who you might like better, and Anette had replaced Tarja Turunen, who was the original singer who has a very opera-oriented voice. If you want, I can find you a few songs where the other two singers are going, as well as the bass player who needs to sing more because he has a fantastic voice. Nightwish is a symphonic metal band, so that's why you tend to get a long more singsong melodies. I'll lump Xandria in the same category as this one, since they're very similar bands. I happen to dig the vocalists for both the bands, it's a refreshing change of pace, especially since both are hugely successful bands with some pretty diverse compositions. If you like Nightwish's instrumentation, they do have tracks out for their recent albums that have an entire bonus tracklist of all the songs in instrumental format.

Great Big Sea's just a bunch of great Canadian folk music. Gotta love dem Newfies.

For recommendations, for Rise Against check out Sufferer and the Witness, Appeal to Reason, and Endgame. For Sabaton, Carolus Rex and The Art of War. For Powerwolf, Blood of the Saints and Preachers of the Night. That should keep you busy for a while. ;D

Recommendations that I mentioned:

Nightwish - The Islander

Nightwish - Over the Hills and Far Away

Sabaton - Twilight of the Thunder God (Amon Amarth cover, you can now appreciate the lyrics!)

Sabaton - Price of a Mile

Powerwolf - We Drink Your Blood

Powerwolf - Sanctified with Dynamite

Rise Against - Swing Life Away

Rise Against - Help is on the Way

Rise Against - Savior

Rise Against - The Good Left Undone

Suidakra - Stone of the Seven Suns (Check the description for lyrics)

Suidakra - Mrs. McGrath (awesome folk song)

Last edited:
  • Thank You
WOAH WHAT IS THIS??? Favorite bands?

I have terrible taste in music you don't wanna know what I like.

also, i'm separating and re-editing my post! hopeful;ly after that @Dervish and I could possibly collab?

WOAH WHAT IS THIS??? Favorite bands?

I have terrible taste in music you don't wanna know what I like.

also, i'm separating and re-editing my post! hopeful;ly after that @Dervish and I could possibly collab?
Sure! We can set something up soonish, I just got to check with Soul and work out the details for the next scene, as well as wait on the last few people who haven't posted yet to catch up before we move on.

After Markain, Ja and Viryn have their posts I'll start working on a move along post for us.

And if Lib and Derv collab, of course. After that.

Sure! We can set something up soonish, I just got to check with Soul and work out the details for the next scene, as well as wait on the last few people who haven't posted yet to catch up before we move on.

Shoot me a PM.

Moziz music time!

Hey Rosetta: Usually I'm not a big fan of piano-heavy music, and for the first half of the song I was starting to wonder if it was going to remain the same tone and pitch the whole time, so the pick-up was a welcome surprise. A big problem I have with the song is the vocals kind of get blurred with the music, if not outright overpowered by them.

Modest Mouse: These guys never disappoint. Having tried to play a few of their songs on guitar before, it's deceptively technical playing in these songs. Did they change vocalists? I don't recognize him. It speaks to the band's consistency and style that even if I didn't have the title to work off of, I'd immediately think it's one of their songs. This isn't as catchy as their other songs, although it's very pleasant, although I could see myself skipping this one a lot if I had it in my library.

The Dear Hunter: This song wastes no time getting started! Kind of reminds me of Muse's better stuff. I get kind of a dark carnival vibe from this song, it's pretty interesting. I really enjoy the instrumentation, and the back-up vocals give it a lot of depth. Very cool song! I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
Wilco: This is a very mellow, dreamy song. It is super pleasant and I would probably doze off if I were listening to this right now if I were lying down with some earbuds in. I like it, although I don't have a lot to add to it.

Wintersleep: Oh hey! I know these guys! The song opens strong, and stays strong throughout. A pretty darn good tune, if I do say so.
The Antlers: I would throw this on a feel good song playlist. I really like the singer's voice and the music's very upbeat and light. I always find a mixture of acoustic and electric guitar very pleasing, and the percussion has a really nifty drum line, although you kind of have to dig into it. My only issue with the song is it's one of those songs that I'd have to listen to a few times or pull up the lyrics to catch most of the lyrics because it kind of blends in. Not a huge issue with the song, because it's certainly one I wouldn't mind listening to a few times.

The Envy Corps: Even after turning up my speakers a bit, I had a really hard time understanding what the guy was saying during the super soft intro, then to my surprise the instrumentations break out into some Modest Mouse-esque melody. The singer has a pretty powerful voice and a great range, I really like this one! I found myself head bobbing along with the song, which is a pretty good subconscious sign I'm really getting into it.
The Features: Wasn't a huge fan of this one, although the drum line was neat. Main problem I had with it was nothing really was distinctive and it kept very level through the entire song.

Frightened Rabbit: Quite the opposite of the last song! Immediately it grabs onto you with some powerful music, and so far I like the vocals here the most of all the songs, and lo and behold they're very distinct and don't get drowned out by the music. I could follow the lyrics pretty smoothly for most of the song. This sounds like a pretty great drinking song. This is easily my favorite song you've listed so far. I think I might look into more with these guys.

Mimicking Birds: Unrelated to the music, but I found the album art to be very distracting. What the hell is that, a testicle tree? For the song itself, pretty nice acoustic guitar, and very lovely harmonics. These guys kind of remind me of Of Monsters and Men. This was a pretty blink and you miss it track. I really liked this one!

We Were Promised Jetpacks: First off? Fucking great band name. Second? This song immediately caught my interest with a strong head bobbing into. There's some great build up to this song that just keeps adding more and more to the song, which is fantastic. It's not a song you just settle into, because it's constantly switching it up and keeping such a high pace and energy to it. This was a surprising song to end off with, considering most of your songs are a super mellow. Even by the end of it, it felt like it was offering something new. I think this is the most dynamic song you've embedded.

I quite like your taste of music! Not something I would listen to regularly, but it's definitely something I would enjoy on a road trip or during a get together. You've pretty much the most laid back and mellow taste of music of anybody I know, and it's pretty consistent haha. Thanks for sharing! Now…
Hey Rosetta! is my all time favorite band, and a big reason for that is lyrical content, so I can see why that might be an issue for you. One reason for it is that this is one of their earliest recordings (literally the first track from their first EP), back when they were still a garage band and they didn't have dedicated audio engineers or professional mixing (whispered and muttered vocals were also their style at the time). For comparison's sake, this is what they sound like today.

Modest Mouse has never changed vocalists, he's the same guy (Issac Brock, he's also their songwriter and just all around genius). His voice has changed a LOT over the years. So has the band: one reason it's not very catchy is because this is very definitely "old" Modest Mouse, when Brock and bandmates were hooked on every drug imaginable, touring in a beat-up old van and writing very poignant and emotional angst anthems. Float On and all tracks by them that managed to slip into popularity came after sobriety, and aren't really indicative of the majority of their music. People have really strong opinions on which "era" is better, early or modern, so if you ever want to start a fight on an indie music forum just say one is definitively better than the other. I adore both, but am definitely a bigger fan of their early stuff (although their newest album is fantastic). To put it in perspective: this vs this.

The Dear Hunter is the brainchild of one Casey Crescenzo, who is an absolute musical beast. They're a prog-rock band with roots in hardcore, but their music swings pretty wildly between rock, jazz, folk, and country. Casey seriously knows no limits: the reason that that song starts so abruptly is because it's part of a rock opera...which spans 6 fucking albums. It's all one continuous story (about a guy in the early 1900's, his prostitute girlfriend and his plights during World War 1) that he's been working on for years. He's currently finishing up Act 4 of 6. He took a short "break" after 3 to make 9 EPs (each of which is styled after different genres, but are designed to be listened to consecutively), write a stand-alone album just for kicks, and then head off to Europe to compose a symphony. He did all of this while touring extensively: when I saw him, he and the band put on a 2 and a half hour show. By the end of the night, he'd destroyed his voice, and could hardly talk. He is without a doubt the one musician I respect most in the world. If you like this song at all, I highly recommend you check out the other pieces of the rock opera.

For a song concerning domestic violence, it is eerily pleasant. Wilco's another oddity of a band: they started out as a straight-up alternative country group, and have slowly morphed into an experimental alternative rock band. Their discography is interesting, to say the least.

Wintersleep is a Canadian treasure, moving on...

That Antlers song is actually a piece of one of my favorite albums of all time, In the Attic of the Universe. I say a "piece" because the album is only 25 minutes long, and in a lot of ways is really just one song that changes over time. I could gush for hours over it and all the amazing narrative elements in it, but I'll save you from that. This is definitely one of the happier, upbeat songs from the album, though in the larger context it's probably better described as bittersweet. Peter Silberman writes absolutely fantastic lyrics and he's a wonderful singer, but I agree that the words are hard to make out. Pretty much every Antlers track is better is listened to while there's a lyrics sheet nearby.

The Envy Corps is an Iowan treasure, moving on... (In case you were wondering about those beginning lyrics, it's "One for the bourgeoisie/ One for the row/ The pace of the guillotine's quickening/ and nothing can stop it, for now." This is the first track on the album, it gets reprised at the end of the last track after the metaphorical "guillotine" has dropped.)

I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of that Features track, it's very laid back and definitely works better in the context of the album (in which it is flanked by much more upbeat songs). I only picked it because it's my personal favorite. REally sums up what the Features are about: reckless rock pieces inter-cut with surprisingly intimate views into lower-class American life.

Frightened Rabbit kicks so much ass. If you like that track, I'd definitely recommend checking out their two most recent albums. I too love the vocals. There's just something about a Scottish accent that makes a song a million times more fun to listen and sing along to.

That Mimicking Birds album cover is a deformed bird being "hatched" from a tree of flesh, duh. Most of their songs have a theme of humanity contrasted with nature, and how we co-opt and destroy it (climate change and all that). Their name comes from one of their lyrics: "Nothing good's been done since when we learned to fly/ Mimicking birds, we share the sky." Think that art is a representation of that idea, of something pure being corrupted and "born" into something new and hideous. Anyway since I'm a pretentious hipster I eat that shit up.

I know right? Best band name I've heard in a long time. Another Scottish band (yada yada Scottish treasure) that puts out fantastic jam songs that actually have a surprising amount of emotional depth.

What can I say, I'm just a pretty laid-back guy.

For your consideration, if you feel like it:

Frightened Rabbit - Holy

Frightened Rabbit - The Woodpile

Modest Mouse - Edit the Sad Parts

Modest Mouse - The Tortoise and the Tourist (one of the newer tracks, but definitely in the vein of their older stuff)

Modest Mouse - Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset

The Dear Hunter - The Procession

The Dear Hunter - But There's Wolves?

The Dear Hunter - Never Forgive, Never Forget

Wintersleep - Laser Beams

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Sore Thumb

After Markain, Ja and Viryn have their posts I'll start working on a move along post for us.

And if Lib and Derv collab, of course. After that.
I don't know if you saw but I put in the OOC how I'm just going to handwave Markain gathering his stuff from the college while the others do nightmare shit so no need to wait on me.

I don't know if you saw but I put in the OOC how I'm just going to handwave Markain gathering his stuff from the college while the others do nightmare shit so no need to wait on me.
LAZY

Fine. I'll just say you're with us then.

But just don't be surprised if I say that Markain walked in stark naked clenching a snowberry twig betwixt his arse cheeks.

LAZY

Fine. I'll just say you're with us then.

But just don't be surprised if I say that Markain walked in stark naked clenching a snowberry twig betwixt his arse cheeks.
The sacred 'nad numbing ritual of Hircine

Hey Rosetta! is my all time favorite band, and a big reason for that is lyrical content, so I can see why that might be an issue for you. One reason for it is that this is one of their earliest recordings (literally the first track from their first EP), back when they were still a garage band and they didn't have dedicated audio engineers or professional mixing (whispered and muttered vocals were also their style at the time). For comparison's sake, this is what they sound like today.

Modest Mouse has never changed vocalists, he's the same guy (Issac Brock, he's also their songwriter and just all around genius). His voice has changed a LOT over the years. So has the band: one reason it's not very catchy is because this is very definitely "old" Modest Mouse, when Brock and bandmates were hooked on every drug imaginable, touring in a beat-up old van and writing very poignant and emotional angst anthems. Float On and all tracks by them that managed to slip into popularity came after sobriety, and aren't really indicative of the majority of their music. People have really strong opinions on which "era" is better, early or modern, so if you ever want to start a fight on an indie music forum just say one is definitively better than the other. I adore both, but am definitely a bigger fan of their early stuff (although their newest album is fantastic). To put it in perspective: this vs this.

The Dear Hunter is the brainchild of one Casey Crescenzo, who is an absolute musical beast. They're a prog-rock band with roots in hardcore, but their music swings pretty wildly between rock, jazz, folk, and country. Casey seriously knows no limits: the reason that that song starts so abruptly is because it's part of a rock opera...which spans 6 fucking albums. It's all one continuous story (about a guy in the early 1900's, his prostitute girlfriend and his plights during World War 1) that he's been working on for years. He's currently finishing up Act 4 of 6. He took a short "break" after 3 to make 9 EPs (each of which is styled after different genres, but are designed to be listened to consecutively), write a stand-alone album just for kicks, and then head off to Europe to compose a symphony. He did all of this while touring extensively: when I saw him, he and the band put on a 2 and a half hour show. By the end of the night, he'd destroyed his voice, and could hardly talk. He is without a doubt the one musician I respect most in the world. If you like this song at all, I highly recommend you check out the other pieces of the rock opera.

For a song concerning domestic violence, it is eerily pleasant. Wilco's another oddity of a band: they started out as a straight-up alternative country group, and have slowly morphed into an experimental alternative rock band. Their discography is interesting, to say the least.

Wintersleep is a Canadian treasure, moving on...

That Antlers song is actually a piece of one of my favorite albums of all time, In the Attic of the Universe. I say a "piece" because the album is only 25 minutes long, and in a lot of ways is really just one song that changes over time. I could gush for hours over it and all the amazing narrative elements in it, but I'll save you from that. This is definitely one of the happier, upbeat songs from the album, though in the larger context it's probably better described as bittersweet. Peter Silberman writes absolutely fantastic lyrics and he's a wonderful singer, but I agree that the words are hard to make out. Pretty much every Antlers track is better is listened to while there's a lyrics sheet nearby.

The Envy Corps is an Iowan treasure, moving on... (In case you were wondering about those beginning lyrics, it's "One for the bourgeoisie/ One for the row/ The pace of the guillotine's quickening/ and nothing can stop it, for now." This is the first track on the album, it gets reprised at the end of the last track after the metaphorical "guillotine" has dropped.)

I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of that Features track, it's very laid back and definitely works better in the context of the album (in which it is flanked by much more upbeat songs). I only picked it because it's my personal favorite. REally sums up what the Features are about: reckless rock pieces inter-cut with surprisingly intimate views into lower-class American life.

Frightened Rabbit kicks so much ass. If you like that track, I'd definitely recommend checking out their two most recent albums. I too love the vocals. There's just something about a Scottish accent that makes a song a million times more fun to listen and sing along to.

That Mimicking Birds album cover is a deformed bird being "hatched" from a tree of flesh, duh. Most of their songs have a theme of humanity contrasted with nature, and how we co-opt and destroy it (climate change and all that). Their name comes from one of their lyrics: "Nothing good's been done since when we learned to fly/ Mimicking birds, we share the sky." Think that art is a representation of that idea, of something pure being corrupted and "born" into something new and hideous. Anyway since I'm a pretentious hipster I eat that shit up.

I know right? Best band name I've heard in a long time. Another Scottish band (yada yada Scottish treasure) that puts out fantastic jam songs that actually have a surprising amount of emotional depth.

What can I say, I'm just a pretty laid-back guy.

For your consideration, if you feel like it:

Frightened Rabbit - Holy

Frightened Rabbit - The Woodpile

Modest Mouse - Edit the Sad Parts

Modest Mouse - The Tortoise and the Tourist (one of the newer tracks, but definitely in the vein of their older stuff)

Modest Mouse - Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset

The Dear Hunter - The Procession

The Dear Hunter - But There's Wolves?

The Dear Hunter - Never Forgive, Never Forget

Wintersleep - Laser Beams

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Sore Thumb
I love learning about music history, so this is actually a pretty nifty conversation so far! I wanted to get into the lyrics more in my own discussion, but a lot of the songs I had a really hard time making them out the first time through, and considering the vast amount of content, I've kind of had to keep on trucking lol), still have Pellegrino's stuff to go through. I'll come back for the links you have in the texts, but for now I'm just going to focus on the ones at the bottom in your recommended list, which I'm excited to check out.

And really? That's the same singer? Goddamn, I had no idea, he sounds entirely different! And you gotta love the "era" snobs; it's the same way with Nightwish, want to piss off that fanbase just say Tarja or Annette is better and watch the world crumble around you. People get irrationally testy about music, I swear. Interestingly, Isaac Brock is also the name of a Canadian war hero who was a British general back in the War of 1812. He's probably a huge reason Canada is still its own country as we know it today.

I think Casey Crescenzo would find a kindred spirit in Frank Zappa if he's always experimenting with different genres and sounds like that. And holy shit, a 6 album concept album? Now that is something new to even me, it's crazy and I like that. After all of that, I'm pretty sure he's Frank Zappa reincarnated. Dude put out over 60 albums over his entire life and helped countless other bands get started. You'd probably greatly enjoy him if for no other reason than the legacy he left behind, which had a huge amount of experimentation with different genres.

I definitely think I'm going to be looking into The Antlers more, I really enjoyed them and that album sounds very appealing. I'll probably hunt it down on iTunes and give it a listen. :) Frightened Rabbits is also a band I'll probably check out soon, as well! Always looking for new music. Sometimes it even works out!

It's still a testacle tree. There's no unseeing it now. But if you love that kind of theme, you should really dig Rise Against. They're all about that social activism stuff.

I'll be going over the recommendations in a little bit and such!

We've all talked a little about what characters we find interesting and who is likely to become whose BFF (Best Friend 4evuh for the uninitiated). I'd like to know what character conflicts you all see coming up, or in other words, who will become the other BFF (Belligerently Fighting 4evuh). Some characters are new, but I'd bet the CSs alone are enough to hint of conflict on the rise.

So... What do y'all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.