The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I edited the parts minus the gate thing, i'm kind of lost as to what to say about that atm

EDITED MY POST!

Now i'm going to bother @O|NoSoul . *pokes with stick*

YAY ANNOYANCE
You could do us a favor and turn the edit into your second post, flesh out the bits and whatnot. It'd knock out one of three persons we've been waiting on posts from. That being said, those other two, no rush, but do keep plugging away at any posts you're working on.

Speaking of bands that are off the beaten path, you may want to check out Blackbird Raum. They're what made me want to buy a mandolin and learn to play it. Haunting lyrics in a punk-style vocalization backed up by a menagerie of, for a while, unheard of instruments nowadays, like the washboard, mandolin and accordion and even a broomstick-bass.
See this is why I love talking about music, I get to learn about all sorts of bands I've never heard of before. I'm digging Blackbird Raum, reminds me a lot of the rough-and-tumble nature of Gogol Bordello, though they're considerably more well-known and carry distinctively Eastern European influences.

Folk is such a versatile genre, so it's cool to see other facets of it. Most of the folk I listen to is of the softer (or psychedelic) variety.

I'll get to reviewing your sheet in a little while, Egypt, but one thing I noticed is that his inventory is ridiculously empty and there's a few spelling and punctuation mistakes that can be cleaned up with a bit of editing. Other than that, my first glance through didn't really pick up anything too out of place, but I'll go over it with my bloody battle-scarred comb after I go to sell one of my guns on consignment/ go for a run/ eat lunch.

I'll get to reviewing your sheet in a little while, Egypt, but one thing I noticed is that his inventory is ridiculously empty and there's a few spelling and punctuation mistakes that can be cleaned up with a bit of editing. Other than that, my first glance through didn't really pick up anything too out of place, but I'll go over it with my bloody battle-scarred comb after I go to sell one of my guns on consignment/ go for a run/ eat lunch.
I took his spartan inventory as a reflection of his current living circumstances, that he was starting at the college and wasn't having to carry anything long distances.

THAT BETTER BE THE REASON, EGYPT. I really only read the history section because I was fuck-tired.
See this is why I love talking about music, I get to learn about all sorts of bands I've never heard of before. I'm digging Blackbird Raum, reminds me a lot of the rough-and-tumble nature of Gogol Bordello, though they're considerably more well-known and carry distinctively Eastern European influences.

Folk is such a versatile genre, so it's cool to see other facets of it. Most of the folk I listen to is of the softer (or psychedelic) variety.
I still remember my first time listening to Start Wearing Purple. It cemented Gogol Bordello as one of my favorites and an everlasting place in my music library. Mimicking Birds is definitely a band I will be checking out more. Lyrics with substance and a great musical composition to boot. Oh, if only the days come back when bands like Simon and Garfunkel and Strawberry Alarm Clock, among the many others, were popular with their lyrics that went beyond the fornication, death threats, masturbation of the ego and senseless monotonous beats of modern pop. Even rap has devolved from the likes of who I grew up listening to, the Wu-Tang Clan, 2Pac, NWA and songs about hard life and the harsh realities of poverty and the gangster lifestyle into people like Mac Miller and G-Easy, or however that fuccboi spells his name.

Anyways, I always cringe when people take that fatalistic line of thinking about music nowadays and go to lengths to say that because Kesha and Justin Bieber exist that all music is shit need only dig past the radio top-40 to find the bands we've shared here in the OOC among countless, countless others.

Speaking of music leaning towards the psychedelic quality, Brian Jonestown Massacre is a pretty good listen. They have a slow, grooving 60's feel that I really like. The Blue Angel Lounge is also another psychedelic band I listen to. Last segment is a bit NSFW.

I took his spartan inventory as a reflection of his current living circumstances, that he was starting at the college and wasn't having to carry anything long distances.

THAT BETTER BE THE REASON, EGYPT. I really only read the history section because I was fuck-tired.
Pretty much lol. Since originally he was just following at the time so if it was expected he'd end up actually leaving he'd have more on him.

And sorry for the history muck up. Auto correct on my laptop likes to change literally everything on its own or tell me the sentence is wrong and much be fixed.

Kind of like now when i typed "Must" and it changed it to "much".

Pretty much lol. Since originally he was just following at the time so if it was expected he'd end up actually leaving he'd have more on him.

And sorry for the history muck up. Auto correct on my laptop likes to change literally everything on its own or tell me the sentence is wrong and much be fixed.

Kind of like now when i typed "Must" and it changed it to "much".
Fucking otterconnect.

Christ, I can't believe it's already been a week since I last signed on. Sorry bout that guys, one of my co-workers got laid off and I've had double the workload and about twenty extra hours. Pretty much just been sleeping when I wasn't working. But we just got a new guy on the shift so my schedule is going back to normal. I'll get to work on catching up.

I still remember my first time listening to Start Wearing Purple. It cemented Gogol Bordello as one of my favorites and an everlasting place in my music library. Mimicking Birds is definitely a band I will be checking out more. Lyrics with substance and a great musical composition to boot. Oh, if only the days come back when bands like Simon and Garfunkel and Strawberry Alarm Clock, among the many others, were popular with their lyrics that went beyond the fornication, death threats, masturbation of the ego and senseless monotonous beats of modern pop. Even rap has devolved from the likes of who I grew up listening to, the Wu-Tang Clan, 2Pac, NWA and songs about hard life and the harsh realities of poverty and the gangster lifestyle into people like Mac Miller and G-Easy, or however that fuccboi spells his name.

Anyways, I always cringe when people take that fatalistic line of thinking about music nowadays and go to lengths to say that because Kesha and Justin Bieber exist that all music is shit need only dig past the radio top-40 to find the bands we've shared here in the OOC among countless, countless others.

Speaking of music leaning towards the psychedelic quality, Brian Jonestown Massacre is a pretty good listen. They have a slow, grooving 60's feel that I really like. The Blue Angel Lounge is also another psychedelic band I listen to. Last segment is a bit NSFW.
Screw the RP, can this just be a music thread from now on?

First time I ever heard of Gogol Bordello was through this video. Needless to say, I was blown away. I can't help but be appreciative of musicians that so obviously love what they're doing, and want to share their love with everyone else. I wouldn't even consider myself a huge fan of their music, but they're number one on my list of live acts I'd like to see one day.

I hate that mentality too. I swear, it's like people just listen to top 40 radio stations and then claim that music is dead. If that's not your cup of tea, then go find music you like! Personally I feel like the music scene is doing great. There's so many great Indie acts popping up all over the place, and now thanks to the Internet their music can be shared globally.

Dat BJM track, I'm digging it. Gotta love anything that can accurately be described as "groovy." Definitely going to be looking into them. I've already posted Mimicking Birds, but I'm a massive fan and as long as we're talking psychedelic it's worth posting one of their trippy-er songs. I've also been binging on Morning Teleportation lately (no coincidence that the two bands are signed to the same label, Issac Brock knows how to pick good music). As far as "groovy" goes I've always enjoyed some good surf rock.

Crap, with all the music suggested, I don't know where to start.

Quick, pick your top two songs whoever posted so I can enjoy while I go over Egypt's sheet with a rusty wheat scythe I found at a yard sale.

Screw the RP, can this just be a music thread from now on?

First time I ever heard of Gogol Bordello was through this video. Needless to say, I was blown away. I can't help but be appreciative of musicians that so obviously love what they're doing, and want to share their love with everyone else. I wouldn't even consider myself a huge fan of their music, but they're number one on my list of live acts I'd like to see one day.

I hate that mentality too. I swear, it's like people just listen to top 40 radio stations and then claim that music is dead. If that's not your cup of tea, then go find music you like! Personally I feel like the music scene is doing great. There's so many great Indie acts popping up all over the place, and now thanks to the Internet their music can be shared globally.

Dat BJM track, I'm digging it. Gotta love anything that can accurately be described as "groovy." Definitely going to be looking into them. I've already posted Mimicking Birds, but I'm a massive fan and as long as we're talking psychedelic it's worth posting one of their trippy-er songs. I've also been binging on Morning Teleportation lately (no coincidence that the two bands are signed to the same label, Issac Brock knows how to pick good music). As far as "groovy" goes I've always enjoyed some good surf rock.
Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost, RP & Music Appreciation Thread.

Quick, pick your top two songs whoever posted so I can enjoy while I go over Egypt's sheet with a rusty wheat scythe I found at a yard sale.
Top two songs? Let's see...there's this and this. Bonus hidden track.

Townes van Zandt is an outlaw country heavyweight and it's great they put him in the soundtrack of True Detective, really fit with the southern gospel and pessimistic narrative, far off the beaten path of the pop-country you hear nowadays. You already know about my opinion of Carolina Low, another darker-mooded bluesy band is Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir. If you like really psychedelic bands with trippy vibes, you'll like these guys.

Also, I'll definitely listen to those surf rock songs in a bit. I've always loved more psychedelic music as well as folkier artists like Townes and others.

Last edited by a moderator:

:D

Mosis and Soul, thanks! The first two songs were pretty great for instrumentation, and I found myself head bobbing the whole time. Normally it isn't my kind of music, but I quite enjoy it and it's very pleasant and easy listening. I should look into more of this stuff to listen to when I'm writing or just need to mellow out. I love the pickup about halfway through the first one; it was unexpected and very cool.

Soul's stuff:

The first song reminds me a lot of The Ghost of Tom Joad, which is fantastic because I love that song: Skip to the one minute mark.

Second song was very somber and relaxed, I really enjoy his voice.

BONUS TRACK OMG RULE BREAKER WUT. I actually love the guitar in this one, and I love the Bluesy vocals.

Gonna throw my own recent discovery in here, my friend showed me these guys:

@Cairomaru it is review time!

You can get rid of that "coming soon!" shenanigans at the top. IT'S HERE ALRIGHT, GAWD.
I'm going to go with Soul and lol at the "suffers from heterochromia". As a guy who suffers from a legit medical issue that feels like a chestburster wants to explode out of my intestines from time to time, having miss-matched eyes is hardly a debilitating thing anymore than having blonde hair. That's just nitpicking, though.

It's kind of a racial stereotype that khajiit are all excellent thieves and are sneaky sorts, it's kind of like meeting an Asian kid and being like "Oh, he knows karate!" or a black kid and being all, "You can join our band because we need a bassist", especially in Elsweyr, where culturally personal belongings and desire of wealth are seen as kind of taboo. Basically, khajiit are conditioned to see themselves kind of like avatars their soul controls that's almost like a puppet, thus why many khajiit refer to themselves in the third person, and a part of why people see them as thieves because they legitimately think if you have something laying around that you aren't using, the original owner doesn't want it anymore. A fun fact is all those khajiit caravans you see in Skyrim are pretty much exiles from their homeland because they're pretty much cultural pariahs. If Sion's family spent most of their time outside of Elsweyr, then don't worry about having to rewrite that part of the history, but it's good to be mindful of it. This link should help a bunch: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/12/cats-of-eso/ I've used it to retcon a few things with my own khajiit characters.

One thing I'm kind of iffy about is how every single person in his family seems to be extraordinary at all sorts of different things, but the thing is you kind of have to learn how to be good at something, so I'd just focus on them being a family of thieves and maybe a fence for the Thieves Guild with the legitimate travelling business as a front. I also have some reservations about his mother outcasting him for sucking at pickpocketing; he's still a kid and nobody's innately so good at something they don't fuck up the first little while. Since you don't really talk about what kind of relationship he had with his family, all I'm getting is he's a runt who is the redheaded stepchild that nobody wants who didn't have warm relationship with his parents. Getting outcasted for a screw up in an occupation where screwing up is a given (seriously, have you tried pickpocketing in Skyrim? It's fucking horrible lol) seems needlessly harsh, especially since he was friggin' 13 years old. To put that perspective, Zaveed was forced to kill and join in a raid for the first time when he was 12, which I still consider very young, even in a fantasy medieval setting. I know khajiit mature faster than humans do, but even so, I was lucky to not be making people's ears bleed from my less than stellar recorder playing or die from exhaustion in gym class at that age. Even if his parents were assholes with little love of their children, they'd probably teach them from a young age how to be somewhat proficient at anything related to thieving, and even if Qara'Sion couldn't figure that out through trial and error, they'd probably try to teach him more mercantile skills like appraising the worth of loot and being introduced into the trading networks.

I don't have a problem with the bandit encounter, but I would appreciate him having some kind of practice or signs of magical proficiency before this encounter, because figuring out how to do a complicated spell in a stressful situation is a bit of a stretch, especially for somebody who up until then had absolutely no inclination towards magic. While I still like to imagine that anybody in Tamriel is capable of being a mage (if the fact you always start knowing a spell in every Elder Scrolls game is any indication, and how widespread magic users are, for instance), a couple hours of reading a book and then murdering a couple bandits is a bit of leap.

During his hardship years, I don't think he'd be convincing nobility to give him their cloaks. Remember what I said last game about speech; it shouldn't be used as a skill in an RP setting because it honestly depends on how you as a player are able to make a convincing argument. Going back to my tried and true exaggerated example, imagine if you would a situation where Billy Bob has to try to get past a guard to get his friend out of jail. Billy Bob has an Expert-rated Speech skill, so his character's supposed to be a smooth talking and charismatic individual who can sway people with his words. Now, Billy Bob's player is bit of a jagoff with poor writing skills, and so Billy Bob goes up to the guard and says, "hey fuker im gonna fuk u and ur mom hard if you dun let me in k?". Now, since Billy Bob has an Expert in speechcraft, I as a GM would actually have to consider letting Billy Bob through the gate because Billy Bob is supposed to be a superb talker. It's cognitive dissonance. I'd rather have the character be played intelligently and be rewarded for being clever or manipulative without having an arbitrary skill trying to say it. It's one thing to be bad at writing out action scenes while your character is an expert swordsman, but it's quite another when it's a skill that directly affects the whole very concept of roleplaying. As such, like I said, I seriously doubt a khajiit in Skyrim is going to smooth talk some nobleman into giving up his cloak because A) nobility don't hold onto their wealth and power by being gullible shits, and B) institutionalized racism against khajiit isn't something you can downplay. Most khajiit aren't allowed in cities, and assuming Sion found a noble willing to talk to him without being under the impression he was a filthy vagrant, I doubt the nobleman's in the business of handing hit property out because somebody asked him to. I'm going down extra hard on this point because I don't want there being situations in the RP where you make up an NPC and basically undercut a GM or a plotline because of Sion's pro talking skills.
Once again, you're going to have to edit your sheet a bit, because there's a lot of messed up and lazy punctuation. I've found both Skyrim and Whiterun written in lowercase, for instance.

"He didn't nor would ever find out why he was attacked, assumed he was going to sneak attack and said bandit was a bit twitchy just from the look in his eyes; possibly in the skooma God's willing that Qara'Sion could remember." They couldn't have possibly assumed this khajiit who was walking past a noisy battle was potentially trying to flank them, could they? If these bandits weren't too preoccupied with the orcs, and they would have normally been preying on passerbys, well… bad news Sion, there's no great mystery of why you'd be attacked. Other than that musing, the whole orc-bro situation's perfectly fine in my books.

Wasn't the College of Winterhold kind of a huge thing in Qara'Sion's backstory? Here it just seems like a bit of an afterthought. No experiences or relations worth mentioning, no advancement of skills or expeditions? Also, what rumours? All he would know is what the rest of the College students know; strange disappearances and occurrences are happening in the town and there was a riot that killed a student. Since then, the College has kind of been on lockdown.

Other than the history bits I pointed out, looks pretty good! Revise it and let me know when you want me to take a peek at it again.
Soul, anything to add?

khajiit-has-wares_o_2632393.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.