The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I didn't know either and I love the character.

I'd have put my two cents in on creation, but I haven't been on my laptop in a few days ;-; sorry. I'm now wondering why Drevin seems so dry to me >_< I need to look over his stuff again.

For what it's worth, I didn't know either and I love the character.

I'd have put my two cents in on creation, but I haven't been on my laptop in a few days ;-; sorry. I'm now wondering why Drevin seems so dry to me >_< I need to look over his stuff again.
Not too late to flesh him out! I'm setting up a tavern scene so we can have a chance for characters to talk and to reflect!

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Reachmen
http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2m3bmp/reachmen_an_independant_race/
http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2z0q3z/tribes_of_tamriel_volume_v_the_reachmen/
http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/24c581/myths_of_the_eastern_reach_revised/
http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2radc8/tales_of_the_reachmen_life_and_darkness/

While you had it that Madanach and your character both considered themselves Bretons, that is only partly true. Bretons as a term is a blanket statement for a lot of different cultures in the same way European is a blanket statement for a lot of different cultures within Europe. Even more correct it would be to equate the relationship between Reachmen and the term "Breton" with Bretons and the term "French."

Bretons have a different language different from French and an arguably distinct culture apart from what we call French. While they live in France and the prevailing term for people in France is French, the Bretons of France are wont to recognize that they have differences to the stereotypical blanket term of French.

What one has to understand is that while Reachmen can technically be called Bretons, what we consider "Breton" blood makes up only a part of their genetic makeup and they are a very distinct culture from the rest of High Rock. The same can be said for Colovians and Nibeneans in Cyrodiil, as in, while they are classified by the player and foreigners in-game as simply "Imperial", "Cyrodiilic", or "Cyrods" a person from Cyrodiil would tell you that they are Colovian or Nibenean, and each has a distinct culture and history.

Reachmen are only a part of what makes up the Breton peoples of High Rock. They are Men-of-the-Reach, hence Reachman, and this is why the Forsworn started in the first place - Reachmen Nationalism. Which brings me to my next point.

Your character need not be completely changed if you don't want him to be, but it could be an interesting thing to have Madanach be the one that makes him recognize his Reachman nature. What I'm saying is that you can keep Markain as is, as it is entirely possible and I would posit a very common thing, for Reachman families to assimilate culturally but not genetically into High Rock proper rather than live in the Old Ways of the Reachmen, hence why they are even called the "Old" Ways. It is possible for Reachmen to not fall in with the Forsworn, as evidenced by the Reachman gentleman you meet in Karthwasten.

As such, appearance-wise, Markain would look like your average Breton. A couple things would seem off to people though, where Markain has the longer fingers that Bretons usually do and a higher affinity for magic than is common among the other Man Races, they would also notice that he's probably taller than the average Breton on account of more Nord blood in his family's tribal line. Residual tusks if his family's tribal line had Orc blood and a little more pronounced point to the ear on account of Reachmen keeping more Merish traits than Bretons on account of having fewer Nordic dilutants in their blood. A last thing about culture is that Reachmen have more Celtic-Gaelic sounding names rather than French/Saxon, hence Madanach, Ainethach, Faolan among others. As it stands, Markain sounds just about right.

Yes, I am a huge nerd when it comes to Elder Scrolls and obscure facts not commonly known to gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it so happens Markain Anuthian is a bastardized portmanteau of 7th Century Breton names that essentially mean Warrior of Glittering Wealth ie he constructed his weapon from silver rather than bones and teeth. I think I'll leave him as a mage searching through the Arcanum for what it means to be Witchman and have the meeting with a live Snow Elf spur his curiosity of the Time Before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a lot happened when I went to the city today it would seem!

I read the sheet and am in agreement with Soulio, it's great! He also knocked the ball out of the park with why the Reachmen are unique and he knows waaay more than I do so treasure his brain. I accept your submission mister Witty!

Oh, also, for those starting out in Winterhold, I've done a little write-up so that your characters know what's going on in Winterhold. For those of us who are just arriving in Winterhold with the caravan, your character might notice some of the guards and townspeople glancing at you and whispering things. Here's a little writeup as to why they'd be doing that...

Winterhold has been having weird occurrences lately even before the storm. It all started when Hod's dog went missing. The tracks went off into the tundra and no one's seen it since. No big deal, right? It's just a missing dog. But then the children started disappearing. No one knows why and the mothers weep while the fathers try to remain stoic and fail. Every once in while, Hod swears he sees his dog hanging around the outskirts of Winterhold but he's never too sure.

Finn doesn't sleep in his house anymore, as one night the guards caught him wandering the streets naked and weeping. When they approached him to take him back to bed, thinking he was drunk, he told them he had killed his wife by stomping her head in. They had to remind him that his wife died of hypothermia last year while he was visiting his brother in Whiterun to sort out their father's belongings after his funeral. The reason he sleeps in the tavern these days still is that every night he has slept in his house after, he's dreamed in vivid detail killing his wife in the most violating and violent ways.

Grenna's husband, Fennric, had been fed up with the occurrences in town, especially after their two daughters disappeared with the rest of the children, being the most recent of the disappearances. He said he'd go out with the horse and a few friends to comb the outside tundra for their two daughters, even if it be finding their corpses only. None of them returned. Now, Grenna rarely leaves her house and after the disappearance of her husband and his two friends he took with him, Wygluf and Rigg, the townspeople are starting to believe her stories about seeing the children bounding through the snow during blizzards, which are happening oddly frequently. She also sometimes hears her daughters whispering something behind her back, only to turn around to an empty room.

Aggression finally spilled over when drunk and disgruntled fathers started banging at the gates of the College. It required the use of several calm spells and the situation was only handled after a young student was beaten to death. Tensions between the College and the town have not lessened in the slightest. Oddly enough, no one remembers taking away the young student's body after the riot but its absence was witnessed both by the town guard and the College's staff and students...

Even Jarl Korir is not untouched by the odd occurrences of the past weeks, as he sometimes hears scratching at his door and walls when he lays down to bed at night. He's ordered a curfew be put in place and none of the couriers of the local Legion garrison under command of Military-Governor Caius have been returned, and Caius and the entirety of Windhelm remember none walking past their gates. Overall, the unpleasantness of the experiences of the town the past few weeks have effectively isolated Winterhold, with few travelers coming in and none leaving after the tales are told in the mead hall...

Listening to NPC conversations or getting into one yourself could yield some information that something's been happening with the town. They wouldn't tell you in excruciating detail like the write-up above, but they'd probably say something about feeling sorry for you for coming here. Further prying could have you shushed and the subject changed. Overall, you'll notice a general uneasiness about the populace.

Accidental racism, of course the Dark Elf apprentice is the one skulking about collecting rumors and shit.

Uh... Geeze, I'm sorry guys. :( I haven't had an easy timep osting the last couple of rounds I've participated in and I don't think I have the ability to keep going. You guys are such an awesome group to chill with and talk to, but I've been having such a hard time posting - be it for my character or at a standard that I feel is up to snuff. I don't have any one reason for leaving, but it's just a multitude of little excuses that pile up into me not having the drive to stick around IC. If you don't mind, I'd love to still hang out in the OOC, if only for the fun, but I understand if that's kind of a "players only" thing. x/ Again, I'm really sorry, just need to trim down my to-do lists. I find myself stressing about some RPs and that's just not what roleplaying is about for me.

Again, really sorry, hope you all understand. v_v

Reactions: Nyxella
Uh... Geeze, I'm sorry guys. :( I haven't had an easy timep osting the last couple of rounds I've participated in and I don't think I have the ability to keep going. You guys are such an awesome group to chill with and talk to, but I've been having such a hard time posting - be it for my character or at a standard that I feel is up to snuff. I don't have any one reason for leaving, but it's just a multitude of little excuses that pile up into me not having the drive to stick around IC. If you don't mind, I'd love to still hang out in the OOC, if only for the fun, but I understand if that's kind of a "players only" thing. x/ Again, I'm really sorry, just need to trim down my to-do lists. I find myself stressing about some RPs and that's just not what roleplaying is about for me.

You're always welcome around here. If you want to come back any time, PM us and we'll see you in. I hope thing straighten out in your life.

Additionally, Dervish and I knew someone with opinions on their writing similar to yours. All I have to say is that you were doing completely fine and again, you're always welcome back.

Not to worry! Like Soul said, you're welcome back any time and are welcome to hang out here. Maybe you just need a break from roleplaying for a bit, but seriously, don't worry about the quality of your writing; you're perfectly fine! Did you happen to join a lot of games and are finding it hard to keep up with a bunch of it?

At work so please excuse my rushed informality: As Markain learns more about his bloodline I'd like him to learn spells I feel reflect his progress, I'm thinking Equilibrium midgame as he learns power and knowledge come at a price and Glimpse of Death late-game when he begins the sacred rituals and sacrifices. Is this or could it be made acceptable?

Was going to have a post up tonight but then I got drunk by accident so it'll have to wait for tomorrow.

A toast to noble Lord Hircine! We lift our glasses and weapons to You, that our blood may spill before our drinks :p

Reactions: BKenScout
Hey Dervs. I don't know if you saw but I posed a question while I should have been working regarding learning spells through Blood and Void if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

Hey Dervs. I don't know if you saw but I posed a question while I should have been working regarding learning spells through Blood and Void if you wouldn't mind taking a look.
I'll look into it tomorrow. Right now, my mind's not in the right place. My uncle passed away after battling cancer, so yeah.

Dude, I'm so sorry. Man, take all the time you need, that's awful :/

Thanks guys, for being so understanding. Only part of it was my view on my writing capability. It was more so that, yes, I bit off a bit more than I could chew and this roleplay moves so fast - I'm also a bit out of my element with the large group dynamic. Most of my stuff is small and invite-only, so it's hard to acclimate. I'll still be around though. XD This OOC is too kickass to bow out of - it's a shame we don't have that Skype group we discussed earlier in the RP's life.

EDIT: Sorry to hear that, Dervy D:

Status
Not open for further replies.