The Depth Online - [OOC & Signups]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, typo'd that one. Darn you, keyboard!

Skills look fine, except most monsters won't be carrying credit (it'd work against players though.)

And yeah you can start if you want. I'll add you to the list. The post itself seems fine BTW, though the conventions in TDO are a bit different because we're going more open player economy than NPC stores. There'll be a few who purchase drops but that's it.
(Ah, but the "post itself seems fine" was before professions were added.)

1. Ouch. I'll just erase miner boy, then.
2. Hmm... I thought I saw 3000 somewhere, but now that I look I can't find any number at all. That must have been me mingling sources. Whoops. >.< So there are only 400 beta-testers? Will there be more later, or is that it forever? If that's all, Rissa could actually know everyone by name (eventually). ^^
3. I'll be careful. Rissa had time to speak to each Master NPC before choosing, so she knows the division of duties (say, each sub-title) if not the exact lists.

You guys are mean for progressing three pages in the IC while I waste away without Internet.

Did I put down a number for beta testers? I don't think I did.

And yeah, RayChel's character was accepted. I just got backtracked the last couple days ;p

@VerbalAbuse Gotta go fast :D

EDIT: OP updated with some stuff it shoulda been updated with ages ago.

Last edited:
Kestrel said:
You, amongst your friends, are one of the 400 privileged gamers who has received a beta invitation. On July 31st, 2034, you put on your virtual reality gear and dive into the depths.

That's from the Interest Check.

Boom.

I didn't even see the interest check. Now I had to go back (and read most all of it) and I found something veeeery interesting:
Another of my initial ideas was that as more players would arrive, the initial settlements would be overpopulated; with players amassing faster than the space to accommodate them.
The rest of that post was great, too, but this ratcheted my thoughts up to fourth gear.

That's from the Interest Check.

Boom.
Hah, so I did ;p

I didn't even see the interest check. Now I had to go back (and read most all of it) and I found something veeeery interesting:

The rest of that post was great, too, but this ratcheted my thoughts up to fourth gear.
Yeah, that's coming up :D

EDIT: @VerbalAbuse, when do you think you're gonna be able to post? I know we're still all over the place frequency-wise, but I'd like to know what your situation is so I can keep it in mind when directing things.

Last edited:
Alright, so Calice got some gear quite easily as RayChel pointed out to me. You guys aren't allowed to do that. The only reason I did is because I'm on hiatus until I finish my college and I'm not working every goddamn weekend with the army hating life, but loving life, then mostly hating it. The army's complicated guys, don't try to understand it.

For those of you on skype I'll undeniably be popping in for a slight break here and there. Otherwise though I'm only going to post after my real life stuff is done.

Alright, so Calice got some gear quite easily as RayChel pointed out to me. You guys aren't allowed to do that. The only reason I did is because I'm on hiatus until I finish my college and I'm not working every goddamn weekend with the army hating life, but loving life, then mostly hating it. The army's complicated guys, don't try to understand it.

For those of you on skype I'll undeniably be popping in for a slight break here and there. Otherwise though I'm only going to post after my real life stuff is done.
Gotcha mate, good luck with alla that. We'll find a way to bring Calice and Sav back in when it all calms down a bit.

Indeterminate. I was on last night but didn't get a chance to throw one down due to other things. Im not sure when I might be able to get back on. I'd buckle down for the long run though.

That's too bad @VerbalAbuse, let me know if you wanna give it a shot or prefer me to write you out till you have a more stable situation on your end. You're obviously welcome in the RP, but if things are as hectic as you suggest it would be no problem if you'd take a hiatus to figure things out.

Let's see where we stand right now...
Raw Harenn Meat - .1 cred
Harenn Fur - .15 cred
Lucky Harenn Foot - .5 cred

Forunn drops will be about the same, Nexit around twice that. To put it simply, nobody needs to buy what everybody already has. Because there was an hour before professions were introduced, 99% of the players have already fought Harenn or Forunn.

Even worse, nobody can produce en masse without an iron crafting tool, so only those who came with friends or made friends quickly will be producing right away. This gives them the right to set whatever prices they please for about twenty minutes; if the only man selling iron pickaxes asks for your firstborn son, you aren't getting that pickaxe without giving up little Timmy. Please bear all this in mind. The most direct application is this: adventurers (those who quest and fight) will get it in the pants every time today.

That was random. a reason behind that Ray?

There isn't any to the pricing, considering NPC's will buy everything for at least a credit a piece ;p The short monopoly does make sense, though. However, adventurers will be providing the materials and should be able to easily provide decent equips for their selves.

Are there set prices that the NPCs are buying at or is it just whatever a player can barter for within reason?

In-game NPC's will be buying pretty much all small drops for a credit a piece. I will crunch the exact numbers later, because the rare drops and the nexit/tryma/aenara ones will be a bit more expensive. NPC players you can barter with, but right now credit itself is a bit limited so that would be difficult (though I imagine harenn meat, for example, or other cooking items are still sought after).

Reactions: Rainjay
That was random. a reason behind that Ray?
I suppose I was frustrated. I'd asked early on about prices NPCs had attached to items, but I haven't received anything like an answer. Putting numbers up did indeed prompt Kestrel to give me a solid number in return for the drops. Onward to crafted items!

As for the small rant, I'm inherently against the stock market concept of "Something for nothing." The chances of making a profit by trading in the same town is miniscule, and will only be achieved by running around frantically. Trade is successful over distances that most people won't walk.

There's also a bit of irritation about being meta-gamed leaking in, so the post probably came out more sarcastic than intended. "setting herself up for lucrative business" was, to me, unfounded.

Alright...

1.) If you don't get an answer, that doesn't mean you can make up your own numbers. I mean come on. I prolly glossed over it or forgot it, sure, my bad, that happens sometimes, sorry. However, one person's mistake doesn't excuse another's. Also I've been answering pretty much every question I can, so purposely ignoring you makes really no sense in the context of this entire thread and the PM conversations we've had. I don't like the implication about my character you're making by thinking I need to be provoked to answer a question.

2.) You might not like Wolfsin's character's way of trade, but his actions are totally sound. As for getting nothing out of it, with some luck he's gained a relation and that is essential. And yeah, trading in the same town is probably not as lucrative as shipping it to another, but right now (as has been stressed pretty hard) there are no other towns. Still, even if Wolfsin's character would go around giving all his spoils to everyone for free all game long like he's a one man charity drive, your character can get mad at his IC, but as a player you have no right to tell Wolfsin or anyone else what to do just because you don't like it or it makes things inconvenient.

3.) I read it like giving the tour at a price of 5 credits. Like, "If you give me 5 credits I'll show you everything." Mac told me you meant something else in skype right after I posted it, but I figured I might as well go with Barong hearing it wrong (because hey people do that sometimes so why not). Also, and this is something you'll want to remember; what someone's characters think, say and do doesn't necessarily reflect the player's views. If I have a problem with you, I'm not going to be passive aggressive about it in my IC-posts. I will take it up with you directly, because I'm not a 16 year old drama queen.

Last edited:
1) I know you've been doing a good job with questions. I apologize for implying anything of the sort. I did feel that asking the same question twice would carry similarly negative implications, so I employed guile to put it forward again. Now that a baseline is set, I again volunteer to help set up NPC prices.

2) I haven't complained about Wolfsin's actions. He's working through a fencer--someone who will buy his goods for less than they are worth to supply him specific materials. I thought my words, if anything, approved such an action. Pulling it off in five minutes makes me a little leery, but the difference between five and fifteen in an RP is too little to worry over. Again, I apologize if this sounded like a complaint.

3) I do realize that's how you read it; you weren't the first. That doesn't change the feeling that my OOC comments have affected how everyone sees Rissa. I'm not going to rant and rail; I have stated my unease now and hope that you can understand my concern. That division between character and player is exactly what I wish to uphold.

If I miss something, feel free to ask me again. That's not problem at all. Hell, you could even simply quote yourself and tag me with nothing else, I wouldn't mind at all ;p You'd also totally be welcome helping me out with prices. Right now I'm trying to figure out what would be decent for the 2+star monsters, rare drops, and materials (materials max 4 credit for game NPC's, cause of the NPC player I made mass-buy them IC.) There'll be credit quest rewards to help with the value of currency, but I figured it'd be better to start small.

If beta-testing taught me anything, it's that community-wise that is the best period an RP will ever have. Period. If this was an established vrmmo with nobody trapped inside, I woulda rolled a d20 and have it not turn out to be a scam only if he rolled a clean 20.

Well, Barong isn't going to go full-on merchant, but he does have a background in sales (just don't mention that or you'll make him cry or something *cough*bio*cough*). The way he interpret the message makes sense with his actions. Charge for convenience is a valid way of making money, he just thought Rissa was overselling her wares (but respecting her business, beside the joke, he didn't interfere with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.