The Dead Awaken

• Thread starter Iron Men And Saints
  • Start date
Martin smirked and looked at Jason and said " Ive lost plenty Jason...even Marceline " Marceline was the girl he arrived with for the first time at the camp with. She was like his girlfriend and they loved each other alot but they made a pact to move on if one of them die. He looked away from Jason at the sky and then back to Jason with a smile " Timmy was a good kid...just didn't plan the right thing to do...we all loose something...but for the right cause..you understand me? "

Jason noded and looked towards the house.

" its almost time" jason announced.

"are you ready?" jason turned and got up saying.

" Ive been ready my whole life jason " He said with a slight chuckle at the end and with a grunt he got up off the floor dusting his pants off. He nods at him and slides his baseball bat into its leather sheathe. Walking towards the rally point where they were told to meet up again

"Oh greatest of all joys, the goddamn hippie van," I quip as I follow Sarah over to the electric-powered vehicle, "Nothing like preserving an environment that's already fucked. I'm sure the biters really appreciate our attempts to not destroy the ozone layer. They're big on that sort of thing, I hear."

Smirking slightly, I watch as the rest of the scavenging team begins to emerge. There's Jason, rocking a fucking katana of all things and muttering about how he wants something that does more damage. Hard man to please, clearly. Over at the other car is psycho-girl; Ivy, I think her name is, a newer arrival at our own little slice of apocalyptic paradise with a flair for the killing of things. She's got the tattooed fellow, Martin, in her car, along with that keen one named for a day of the week (can't remember off the top of my head which).

Our little team begins to drift off to entertain themselves for the next two hours, but Martin and Jason remain nearby for a charming little chat about the proper process of zombie slaughter. My smile only grows wider as I listen in.
"You guys are gonna get yourselves killed with that kinda attitude. You do realise this, right?" I take a few steps towards them, using the point of my hammer to try and pick out the dirt from under my fingernails absent-mindedly. "Sure, zombies are all slow and shit. Sure, they have the same collective capacity for rational thought as a monkey that fell out the fucktard tree and hit all the branches on the way down." My snap my eyes up to look at both of them.

"But it just takes one bite, one little scratch, and suddenly you've been dealt a one-way ticket to Bitersville. No backsies, no cures, just the very fucking painful and slow process of watching yourself erode into a mindless, shuffling corpse that likes to eat folks." I smile my sardonic little smile. "Entirely up to you, though. Fancy playing hero like ol' Timmy? Go right ahead. I'm sure as shit not gonna be saving your asses, though. I like breathing."

Sniffing briefly and sliding the hammer back into my belt, I wander off from the pair of would-be zombie slayers towards the barn. Might as well catch an hour or two of rack time before we get this show on the road...

He laughs a bit at Harrison's snide comments and says " No one needs your help, if i get scratched bitten or taken down please do me the favor of destroying my brain..if i dont do it myself " He turns around to look at him walking away " And your assumptions are inaccurate " He bows to Harrison and continues on his walk with Jason. His mind filling with different ideas and Tactics for building and maybe new inventions.

She walked out to the cars and did a head count, everyone but Harrison was there, "Can someone go get Harrison?" She walked into the electric car, started up the silent generator and then the car.

Sarah closed her eyes and sighed. She was still thinking about what Clara said, she wondered who else had seen her not save Jimmy.

"Ill go get the 'badass'" says jason sarcasticly. jason has never really liked harrison for his smartass mouth of his, but he decides to get him anyway.

after awhile of seraching the barn, jason finds harrison asleep on the shaft. with a knock on wood jason says "wakey wakey sleepy head, its time to go"

I awaken to the sound of knocking and Jason's voice.

Sure as hell beats what I woke up to that morning five months ago.

Just under half a year of living every moment like it very well could be your last will turn anyone into a light sleeper, so at the first sound of Jason's wake-up call I snap up into a sitting position, hand reaching for the claw hammer on my belt and heart racing. It takes me a second for the brain to actually snap back to proper functioning and realise that all is well, and for that moment I'm staring blankly at Jason.

"Shit, dude," I yawn, relaxing and stretching out my arms a little, "scared me half to death there." Steeling my shoulders and pulling up my hood over the lank, unclean mop of hair that sits atop my head, the remains of months-old dye still clutching to its ends, I pull myself to my feet. "Time to get this show on the road, then."

Here I am, catching power-naps in a fucking barn in between supply runs that could well get me killed. I'm sixteen years old, for god's sake; I should be sleeping in till 3pm and not having to worry about anything other than high school bullshit and the like. But the end of civilisation will turn anyone into an insomniac, and those who fancy surviving it have a hell of a lot to worry about.

The joys of living through a zombie apocalypse. I sigh as I follow Jason out towards the vehicles, where the rest of the group is standing waiting. "Sorry, got a little carried away with that power-nap. Let's go make sure we all don't starve, and stuff."

"Yeah, everyone in the cars. Ivy make sure to keep up with me." Sarah got into the car and opened the gate and started to drive, it would be around a thirty minute drive until through the wood till they reached the city. It would be a long drive.

About five minutes down the road she addresses Harrison and Jason, "So any special reason to coming along?" She looks out the window as she drives at the empty forest.

"well, I wanted to come along and stand gurad while the rest scavenge for anything useful."

Jason has never been so much of a sucher. During his time alone he could barely survive by him self, until he met the group that is.

" I don't know why harrison came through, I guess he likes smashing zombie skulls." as Jason looks at Harrison with a smirk.

"Yup, that's me," I grin back at Jason, "Harry Black, resident badass zombie slayer. I mean, just fucking look at me. Nothing says 'master of undead slaughter' like a skinny kid with a hammer." I look out the window for a moment, watching the trees pass by. For a hippie mobile, this thing can actually shift it. Something of a surprise, really. Fuel's hard to come by these days, so it won't be long before we can't run either this tin can (recycled, undoubtedly), or the other car.

Best we get working on our cardio in advance.

"I came because we all need to eat. I'm not half-bad at finding the things our little band needs, and I know how to avoid the biters. Not exactly hard, their being thick as months-old dogshit and all."

Ivy was quickly awake from her half sleep as the others was ready to go. "Don't worry Sarah, you won't get rid of me that easily." Ivy joked when Sarah told her to keep up with her car. Even if they got behind she still knew the way to the city so she wouldn't get lost too easily. But the others probably wanted to stay together just to be on the safe side.

"So Martin, Tuesday. Nervous yet?" She asked the others with a grin as she started the engine and drove after the other car.

Martin was sitting on the edge of were the window which he rolled down previously was, His hair flowing in the wind his hands placed firmly on the top of the car. He climbed back into the car looking at ivy and said " Nervous? Please more like excited " He laughed in between and said " Havent been out since...the incident with Timmy" He face dull but returning to normal as he looked at his arm which was riddled with Japanese writing and colors.

The forest began to clear and the city was ahead. They cut the distance in a short amount of time and she pulled over by the side of road a half mile outside of the city. She got out and walked towards the back of the electric taking a map out of her back pocket and opened it up.

She waited for everyone else to stop and come near. "So I'm thinking we stay together, first we go to the general store. There should be plenty of stuff there then to the grocery store and over to gun shop to see if anything is still there. You guys remember the system. If you get split go back to the cars, if you can't make it there go to the roof of the starbucks on the other half of town. Alright the plan good with you guys?"

23728638_ccdb2f8976_zps3757c0ce.jpg

It's amazing how quickly nature reclaims what was once it's own.

Just half a year ago this was an epicentre for the state, a hub of life and civilisation. Asphalt and concrete, high-rises and Starbucks. The sound would have been heard for miles around, hundreds of thousands of voices, roads teeming with the sound of traffic.

Just look at it all now.

The city is as silent as the grave, which is more than a little appropriate. The buildings lie abandoned and neglected, the roads beginning to crack from disrepair. Grass and weeds begin to creep back into land we had claimed as our own, and what once seemed so solid, so absolute has begun to whither away.

We thought we ruled this planet. But a decade or two from now and you wouldn't believe we were ever even here.

"Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair," I mutter as I take in the sight. Behind me Sarah is issuing orders and getting everybody prepared. I swing round to face the others. "Spot of shopping, then? Sounds good. Six folk shouldn't draw too much attention, so long as we stay low, keep quiet and move fast. And, y'know, not start rattling off shots like it's going out of fashion. That's like walking into a lion enclosure with a dinner bell round your neck."

"Fine with me" jason says as he stares past Harrsion at what use to be his city.

He lived here before his parents got divorced and he had to move out with his dad. That was two years ago before this hell started.

I wonder if my mother is alive? jason thinks.

ill guess we'll find out...

As everyone was gathered around talking martin was standing with his back to the group, He nodded in answering the questions she asked but never faced them. He smiled and kneels down feeling the grass and plants that had grown back through. He said " With death comes life....and a new beginning " He stood up and turned back to the group hoping they were ready to go.

"A new beginning, sure. Just not ours," I chuckle in response to Martin as I check over my bag one last time and sling my claw hammer in my belt. I've packed lightly, trying to save as much space as I can for supplies, but there's always a few things you should bring on a run if you're keen on increasing your odds of survival. We're walking right into the heart of the rotting hornets' nest here so preparation, good supplies and a spot of luck go a long way.

Rope's a mandatory provision; I have several meters of it tied onto the outside of my bag. Several sticks of chalk sit in one of the pockets, too, ready to mark off empty buildings or scribble signs as to what direction we've taken. It's a big town, after all, and it's not like sat-nav is a thing anymore. Next is the flashlight, another prerequisite for a run. There's no power in this place these days, so you'd be astounded just how dark and gloomy some places we loot for supplies can get. Finally, there's the crowbar, also strapped onto the outside of the pack with a few clips and belts. Picking locks isn't a reliable process, and is also time-consuming as fuck; when there's a door separating you from delicious loot, having a crowbar to haul the thing open is a godsend.

Makes for a sweet backup weapon as well. If necessary I can go all Gordon Freeman on some biter's ass.

Man, I miss video games.

"Well, daylight's wasting guys. We gonna sit here and admire the view or are we gonna go loot stuff?"

"Right. Let's go." She began to walk. The general store was about a half a mile away once they entered the city adding to a total walk of about a mile. The walk was uneventful and they reached the General store with no problems.

The door hadn't been locked, most of the shelves were cleared of anything food related but occasionally a can of beans was found. There was a couple liters of gasoline, there was also a bunch of spare parts. There was also a huge steel door with a big padlock on it. It hadn't seemed touched. Someone must have either kept something there or was in a hurry to move. The cash register had a pocket knife inside as well as a couple dollars. There was also a floor safe that had been busted open. Inside it was a couple shot gun shells, a gun cleaning kit, a few rolls of hundred dollar bills and a seventy year old bottle of whiskey.

"Anyone want to try and break the door open?" She looked at the rest of them.

" I believe Harrison has a crowbar so he can take a whack at it, anyways im not the strongest person here" Jason says with discomfort.

" Ill just go outside and stand guard for now, holler if you need me" as Jason walks out of the store with his axe at hand.

Once outside the store, Jason finds a plastic chair and sits at the front of the store, ready to take out anything that threatens the group and to himself especially.