The Dead Awaken

• Thread starter Iron Men And Saints
  • Start date
Martin looked at the door and inspected the room " I don't know....we need something sharp...if we took any sharp item and put it through the holes on top of the padlock we might be able to slip the lock system " He store at the padlock inspecting it and question himself on what they could do to get that damn door open.

We walk the dead streets of this ghost town, its empty arteries drained of any semblance of life.

You can still see signs of the time before all this, but they're starting to fade; five months is a long time for a place to be completely abandoned, after all. Cars lie discarded in the middle of the roads, doors to homes hang open, store-fronts have been smashed and broken. Worst of all is the smell: 'fucking nauseating' doesn't even begin to cover it. I smother a cough and pull my shirt up from underneath my hoodie to spare my mouth and nose the worst of it, kicking myself all the while for not bringing something more practical.

Sure, we've not gone this far into the town before. But that's no excuse to be unprepared.

Preparation is what keeps you alive, after all.

2640415729_9bbf4cafb7_z_zpsedb1b45d.jpg

A mile or so later and we reach Sarah's intended destination. One of those old stores that stocks everything from canned goods to shitty paperbacks. It's been picked pretty clean, but you can get lucky with these things. Even with the light spilling through the windows it's gloomy as hell in here; I withdraw the flashlight and click it on, sending a powerful beam through the darkness to help illuminate the barren shelves a little better.

Couple cans of beans and a tin of something they couldn't legally call meat, but that's really it. Cursing under my breath, I shove what little I can find into my bag and turn to the big steel door set into one of the walls. The heavy padlock has kept previous looters out, but I have just the tool for that.
"I'll take a crack at it," I respond to Sarah's question, reaching behind me to pull free the crowbar. That lock's been built to last, but with a bit of luck I can get it free. Walking over to the locked door I give it a quick examination, pressing my ear up against the frame to see if I can hear any sounds coming from behind it. I listen for a few seconds, but there's nothing.

Which means nothing's moving behind this door... or else it's too thick for the sound to penetrate.

With a sigh I step away and am about to get to work with the crowbar when I catch sight of Jason setting himself up a chair just outside the store like he's some good ol' boy in a John Wayne movie. Cursing under my breath once again, I wander over to the doorway.

"Hey asshole, you wanna at least try to keep out sight instead of sitting in the open like that? Or else maybe just go the whole way, y'know, sit yourself in the middle of the road with a sign reading 'come in, we're edible and stupid'." Shaking my head, I head back over to the steel door and jam the crowbar into the padlock.

This could take a while.

Sarah stepped behind him, "I have got your back if anything is behind that door." She unsheathed her machete. Sarah had done this before and even saved someones life.

The door gave away within the first couple tries, once Harrison opened it, the room was dark and then a rustling came. Sarah sprung into action pushing Harrison out of harms way and swinging with her machete. Her machete thunked into flesh. She took out the machete and flipped on the lights. It was a large closet, filled with cabinets, food, weapons and car batteries. As well as a small five year old girl that just had a machete to the head.

Sarah screamed and fell back tears already falling from her eyes.

When a scream came from the store, jason jumped up and ran inside the store.

"Whats wrong, whats wrong!" jason shouted.

once jason approched the metel door, he puked all over the floor. He knew whats wrong.

Everything moves too goddamn fast.

One second I'm wrenching open the lock, the next I'm lying on my back as Sarah's blade arcs down into something shuffling out from the gloom.
"Fuck!" I snarl, shuffling back and going for my hammer, "That was a bit too close. Nice save there, by the wa--"

I stop mid-sentence, staring at the crimson spattering that covers the floor near to the doorway. I can see more covering part of the machete, and yet more beginning to pool on the floor.

Shit.

One of the consequences of being a walking corpse is that your heart doesn't do that whole blood pumping thing any more. Which means the blood inside a biter is a semi-solid mass of congealed crap. They don't bleed.

As I stagger to my feet, the screaming starts.

Sarah's on the ground now as I push lank black hair out of my face and stare down at the crumpled form lying before her. Dead kid. Can't be more than six. Trapped in some fucking cupboard and jumped at the first contact she'd likely seen in weeks. Now she's lying on the floor with a machete sticking in her, the life flowing out of her in a deep red puddle.

I've seen more dead bodies than I can remember since all this began.

But nothing ever readies you for a dead kid.

More shouting behind me now, as Jason comes blundering in and promptly starts spewing his guts up. It's at this point that it registers with me just how much noise we're all making. Which coincides with the unpleasant sensation of the bottom falling out my stomach. We're in the middle of a zombified hornet's nest... and all this sound basically equates to us giving it a good, solid kick.

"Shitshitshitshitshitshitshit..." the curses tumble out of my mouth as I leap over the dead body, grabbing what food and supplies I can scrape into my bag from the closet. "Everyone stop gaping and fucking move! We've just rung the fucking dinner bell, so you better believe every goddamn biter nearby is on it's way!"

They're slow, sure, and you can't accuse them of an over-abundance of thought. But biters are herd creatures; when one hears something and starts going towards it, the rest will follow.

I can hear them even from the closet, the moans and snarls of creatures operating on the basest of functions. The footsteps will come next. And then they're gonna be coming through the doors, here for the recently advertised 'all you can eat' buffet.

And we're the fucking buffet.

zombies1_zpsd4bcac86.jpg

( God damn that picture is creepy... I am taking a turn for the worse here... Hope you don't mind but this RP is going to get really fucking dark fast. )

Sarah stopped screaming she just laid there looking at the kid in a daze. That counts fourteen kids under the age of twelve she has murdered or failed to save now. Only two of them happened once those things started showing up. She had this other personality, scarred from her time in the military and basic lust she had preyed on kids then she simply removed the evidence. That persona only showed up once since the dead started rising and that was when Timmy had grabbed her gun.

It was completely different when she was her normal self. She often would have panic attacks or random outbursts of amnesia after committing the acts of child murder and molestation. This was one of those times. She looked around, "The fuck? Harrison, Jason, Ivy whats happening? Why are we here?" She saw the dead kid and heard the zombies groaning. "What the fuck is happening?!"

He was already behind Harrison grabbing anything he could and shoving it into a duffle bag, He slung the duffle-bag over his shoulder and turned around. saying " We have to go...now! " He hears the groaning and the footsteps of them getting closer and closer to the building. They echo like stomping footsteps in a cave, He comes up with a small plan in his head that he knows it not going to work. but might buy them some time if they needed it in the future, He looks back at Harrison saying " Are you ready? " His hand tightening the strap to the duffle bag so it rested easier around his chest. He pulled his nail ridden bat out of its sheathe and spun it in his hands a few times staring at the front door just in case.

((I hope it isn't too late to join.))

Arien stood atop the general store, listening to the screaming below. She shook her head. "Imbeciles." The biters were on their way to find this screaming buffet of theirs. In fact, she could see them turning the corner onto this street. Thankfully, there were only around twenty or so, and she knew that most she could easily take out on her own.

It had been a few months since Arien had seen any breathers, as she liked to call them. She could easily recall the memory of the last time she had people to watch her back. Sadly, just as she had her loved ones, she had to put bullets through those persons' foreheads. Arien had had plenty of time to work on her shooting, and, damn, she had gotten really good at it. People said she carried too many weapons, but she was still alive, wasn't she? Obviously, they hadn't known much.

On her sides, she carried two cut off shotguns, two pistols with silencers, and a knife (the knife being a concealed weapon). On her back, she held a regular shotgun and a scythe. Yes, a scythe. She had had it custom made for her for a party once. Who ever knew it would come in handy. Around her stomach, she wore belts that held various kinds of ammunition. Arien liked to think of herself as a walking armory. She also had a knife stuck down each of her black combat boots. The black skinny jeans she wore were ripped and soiled with various blood stains. Her white tank top wasn't much better. Today, her brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

She placed the duffel bag she carried gently onto the rooftop. It held precious cargo. She waited for the zombies to get a bit closer before grabbing her pistols and picking them off one by one. The group below could thank her later.

((I'm not sure which guns can have silencers and which can't. If I did something wrong just inform me and I will fix it.))

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something that you should always bear in mind when dealing with biters in narrow, confined streets and other locations you don't want to get trapped in by them.

It's a little concept I call 'the ripple effect'.

Let's say there's a loud noise that alerts one of them, perhaps some chick called Sarah screaming her lungs out because she's just put a machete through some little girl's face. This zombie is gonna start dragging it's ass towards the source of the sound, groaning and moaning all the while. These groans and moans in turn attract more zombies, who draw yet more with their sounds and so on and so forth. And let's not forget that maybe some of them that didn't hear the original screeching will be drawn in by some guy called Jason yelling in the middle of a zombie-infested town.

Like a ripple it starts with just one but rapidly expands until there's many, perhaps aided by some trigger-happy psychotic nearby starting to let off shots and create even more ripples. Silenced shots or not this town's as quiet as the fucking grave, and any sound is gonna spread far.

This is approximately the situation us lucky sons of bitches find ourselves in now.

Fucking hooray.

Martin's quick to read the signs too, snatching up a duffel bag from the closet and beginning to stuff as much loot as he can into it. Nice to know there's at least one person in the group who can keep their shit together in a crisis. I grab one final box of shotgun shells before stuffing it into my bag and closing it up. Time to run like hell. I stagger out the closet after my tattooed cohort and race over to the door. Already the dead are beginning shuffle out into the streets, emerging from houses and alleys. There's not too many yet, but very soon there's going to be hundreds, even thousands.

We're in the middle of a graveyard, after all. A graveyard where the corpses don't stay dead.

There's also the matter of the shooter nearby. I have no way of knowing if they're gonna start using me as target practice as well if I go charging out into the street. This day just gets better. Behind me Sarah's freaking out, demanding to know what's going on.
"No time to explain, just get ready to run!" I yell over to her. Noise doesn't matter now, the biters are already out in force. Beside me Martin's drawn his bat and asking me if I'm set. "Ready as I'll ever be, dude," I respond, pointing to an alleyway across from the store, "If we make a run for there, it'll minimise the time we're exposed to the biters and that fucking shooter in the street. From there we can find a fire-escape or something, get ourselves above the inevitable fucktastrophe that's spilling out into the streets."

I take several deep breaths, trying to stop my heart from trying to beat it's way out of my chest. Stay calm, keep your shit together, don't get bitten or shot. You've walked away from shitstorms like this before, Harry, and you can walk away from this one too if you play it right. "Let's do this."

Without another word I sprint out into the street, making a bee-line straight for the alley.

Time to do or die.

( Grumpy, I can't say how much god damned voice your character has. I love it. I wish I had the mental effort to role play as amazingly as you are now. )

Sarah picked her ass up taking out her revolver running, following Harrison. They reached the alley before any of the biters could get close to them. Sarah turned and shot the nearest two zombies in the head. "Find the damned fire escape quick."

-----

"Report Hazard Target Five this is Charzard Monster Portable Fifteen. We have ground recon units reporting in that there is Walker activity in Springfield. We think there are survivors. I would like you provide Aerial support and recon and uh... Pick up any survivors you find. Copy?"

"Copy Charzard Monster Portable Fifteen. En route in five." Senior Airman William looked to his co pilot, Airman First Class Jackson. "You hear that?"

"Yeah dude."

"It might just be a long day today. Full speed ahead!" William turned the Helicopter around and began to fly to Springfield city.

With sarah going bat crazy and someone new shooting out side, jason unsleeaths his axe and runs after Harrison. Hopefully sarah is behind me, but jason cant check for that, he just runs after harrison.

"Slow the fuck down Harrison, i know there are zombies comin but there not that fast!" jason yells while running.

I hope this dosnt end bad...

Arien hears their plan. "God, you all are such imbeciles. Why the fuck did you start screaming? I mean seriously?" she said calmly but it was loud enough for them to hear. Her eyes watched as more zombies poured onto the street. "Get your asses up the fire escape. I'll keep you all covered." A few more shots exited her guns, slamming into various zombies' foreheads. "Now, there's a parking lot near here if you all want to chance finding another car. There are cars there, but I have no idea how many of them work," she stated before taking a few more shots.

7c282a06-28ef-47c1-99cc-ad1674c08c6a_zps9044426c.jpg

More shooting.

Great, just fucking great. We're about to get eaten alive and now my ears hurt like hell.

"Keep the fuck up and shut the fuck up, Jason!" I yell over my shoulder to my complaining cohort, "I'm not getting torn apart because you can't run fast enough!" I'm across the street and into the alley in the space of a few seconds, past old dumpsters whose smell alone could make the guy behind me start spewing again. All I can hear is the sound of gunfire and the snarls of the biters coming towards us, but up ahead there is indeed a fire-escape.

As I come skidding to a halt in front of it, though, I discover a small but fatal flaw in my otherwise excellent plan.

The ladder hangs above us, out of reach.

"Fuck!" I snarl, my mind racing to come up with a solution before we all die in an alleyway. It's way out of reach, even for someone nice and tall; I'm gonna need to get a boost up at it if I'm to stand a chance of reaching even the bottom step. Glancing around the alley wildly my eyes fall upon the dumpsters.

Well, this is going to suck more than a little. But it sure as hell beats getting eaten.

I can hear shouting from nearby, a woman's voice; I think the shooter is trying to talk to us. Can't quite hear what she's saying, but I do catch the word "imbeciles", which I would find hugely entertaining if I wasn't so acutely aware of the fact that I might die horribly in the next minute. "Hold those things off!" I say to the others, tearing off my bag and leaving it lying on the ground as I rush over to the foul-smelling dumpster, "I've got an idea!" Whatever's inside this thing stinks to high hell, but it thankfully doesn't weigh too much; I slam my shoulder against it and start to push it towards the space beneath the ladder.

If I can get this thing close enough, I can probably use the wall and my crowbar to grab the lowest step and pull the ladder down.

That's the plan, at least. Whether I live long enough to pull it off remains to be seen.

Never a dull moment in a zombie apocalypse.

As Jason caught up with Harrsion, he sees that hes pushing the smelly ass dumpster to reach the ladder. Smart idea but well see if it works.

"Here, have some help." jason says as he helps harrsion push the dumpster.

with a screach from the dumpster, he hears zombies geting ever closer.

Martin comes flying into the alleyway noticing them pushing the dumpster, he smirks and shouts as hes running " PUSH IT ONLY A LITTLE FURTHER! ". He drops the duffle bag as he gets a bit closer, his speed picking up. He leaps off the ground and soars into the air, as he does so his body lands to the side rim of the dumpster his body crumbling into a compact sort of balled crouch. He then springs off it like a rocket, his body lifting up just high enough for him to grapple the ladder end with one hand. He hangs on and it flies down towards the floor. He hits the floor and the ladder slams down just a few inches from his head, he takes in a deep breath and stands up saying " Sorry Harrison that would of taken to long "

Okay, note to self; Martin is actually a pretty useful guy to have along on a supply run.

"Dude, you got it done faster than I could," I respond with a grin as I grab my bag and move for the ladder, "let's just get the fuck out of this place." The alleyway's head is starting to fill with dead faces, lifeless grey eyes fixed upon us as their owners continue their slow, relentless pursuit. No time to be wasting with idle chat, then; I grab the ladder and start to pull myself up it. "Haul ass, guys! We're running out of alley!"

The ladder isn't too high a climb, and leads up onto the rusted steel staircase that is the main fire-escape. Upwards it ascends the roof, several stories at least. Good chance for us all to catch our breath once we get there, maybe have a chat with Little Miss Trigger-Happy standing on top of the store trying to take on every biter in town.

Fuck me, it's Timmy all over again. At least he had the good manners to get eaten afterwards.

I assume that the others will be right behind me, and if not then that's their goddamn problem; I take the steps up in twos and threes, grabbing hold of the bannisters to help pull me further.

Good cardio, this. Running for your life certainly is a good way to keep fit.

That's it, Harry, make wise-cracks and pretend like you're not a couple heartbeats away from freaking the hell out. That'll show 'em.

He picked up his dufflebag and noticed the walkers filling in the alleyway, he jumped back a bit and swung his bat at one of them that had the courage to leap forward. Its head smashing to the side, its head cracking open and the brain being pulled out in small pieces because of the way he set the nails in the bat. The bat had straight nails that were good for penetrating and opening, and them small bent nails under them so when he retracted it the brains and anything inside the head would be dragged out and destroyed. He found it pretty useful actually, He backed up and was the last one up the ladder which he preferred because he could help them from being eaten. He booted the top of the ladder once he reached the top so that it was bending and breaking, he booted it a few more time and the ladder snapped out of place falling to the floor and thudding against some of the walkers who got closer. he shouted out " FUCK YES! " and flew up the steps behind everyone arriving to the top last and looking over the scenery of the roof.

Arien switches magazines quickly, trying to spare the others time to get onto the fire escape. "Fuck, they need to hurry. I'm running out of bullets for these guns." She has yet to figure how she's going to get out of this mess, but she always manages. She watches as one boy jumps and grabs the ladder to the fire escape. "It's about damn time," she shakes her head.

Out of all of her 22 years, Arien had never seen so many people scramble their way up a fire escape as she did them. She laughed lightly. I hope I can manage a way off this roof. Shit. The things I do for people even during a fucking apocalypse. She shook her head and continued shooting as many as she could until all of that group stood atop the rooftop opposite hers.

Sarah shot several more zombies turned and bolted for the escape. "Everyone up up up!" They ran up zombies could be heard from inside the building, the roof wasn't far off yet. They could hear the whirring of a Helicopter.

-----

"Report Charzard Monster Portable Fifteen this is Harzard Target Five. We are at Springfield, there is Boston Hazard surrounding a group." The helicopter flew towards the building. "I see one shooter on a building, I think others are in the alleyway I don't have a uh confirmed visual. I'm am going to try and swoop past and see if I can get a good view. Alright I counted about three plus Charzard Peacock. They were err, uhm climbing up a fire escape. The building has a suitable landing area. I am requesting uh, permission to engage Walkers with the fifty cal."

"Permission granted. Try to save all Charzard Peacocks as possible. Understood?"

"Understood sir. Hey Jackson you man the helicopter, give me a couple firing runs I'm going to go out on the fifty."

"Alright man, good hunting."

William went out of the cockpit and got on the turret on the side of the heli, it was just the two in the helicopter. William began to fire into the crowds of zombies rushing into the alley and down the street.

Martin looked up at the the helicopter firing its fifty cal. like it was doing a good job, this would only attract more of these motherfuckers. he picked up on the way Harrison had said about the walkers coming because of the noise, He put his hand to his throat and made the national signal for cut it off. Hoping the helicopter would quit firing there 50 cal. which was creating dust and other fixtures to float around in the air off the building, which some of the probably toppled because of how run down they have become the wind from the helicopter could probably knock it over.