The Color of Night - Chapter 1

A smiled formed on Ethan's face when he saw that Victorie stumbled on the last question he asked. To him it was cute but he wouldn't dare say that yet alone show his feeling around many other vampires. He didn't care really but he knew that he had to keep his mind focused on the mission and not on a girl. When she stood up he walked back over and smiled " Its okay you dont have to answer that unless you want to, by the way we should train when i return". Looking at Solomon he nodded in his direction " Hello" and when Davis came back and said he was ready he placed his hand on his pocket and the onther at his side " Okay", when VIctorie looked at him he gave a slight nod and hoped she knew what he ment.

Davis opened the large ornate doors and was greeted by a soft rain on his hair. He growled in distaste before walking over to the stone path that separated the manor from the woods, pushing through bushes used concealment to reach this path. He looked behind himself and looked for Ethan. "We don't have time to spare, punk" he mumbled to himself, before lifting a sewer manhole cover out of the ground and tossing it to the side like a Frisbee. "My patience is running thin, maggot." he again mumbled to himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas sat calmly in the bushes about 2500 yards away from the stone path which lead to the manor. He was wearing a mist ghille suit, and his scent was safely concealed. He had repainted his normally white camo to perfectly match his vantage point. He followed a man who appeared out of the bushes with his scope, finger off the trigger. When the man pulled the manhole cover out off the ground and tossed the 500lbs circle like a frisbee, with one hand, he was sure. He shifted his body by a millimeter, and pulled back the cocked the bolt with invisible speed. His finger was on the trigger...

Ethan walked out behind him and then shook his head " Calm the hell down im right here damn". He walked forward but then stopped suddenlly looed out into the distance. Something wasn't right. " Hey Davis we have a litte guest but ill lets the others deal with it. Picking up two small rocks he threw them in the direction of the small sound before jumping down the manhole and placing the lid ontop. " And stop calling me a damn maggot".

Davis turned his head in the direction Ethan threw the rocks. That's the direction of Blackview, dumb-ass, of course you can sense humans over there. Probably just some kids." with that he jumped down the man hole. It was dark, but his predatory vision gave him vision like a cat. He turned to Ethan "we move fast, and we stay in the shadows," and that was all he said before he dashed east at an amazing speed, not caring to wait for Ethan.

---------------------------------------

Lucas moved his scope to the other vampire that threw rocks. "Shit" he said as he stood up, almost as soon as both vampires were in the sewers. He quickly dissembled is sniper and assembled a UMP-45 and climbed down the ladder to the sewer when they were out of sight.

" NO jackass have some common sense no children come anywhere close to over here neither do certain adults". He was getting annoyed with Davis by the minute under estimating him like he was some dumb guy, and being that he was faster and stronger than Davis he slightly didn't care that he was a Fury. He quickly caught up passing him and looking back " I suguest you shut your mouth im not a little kid". He stopped slowy and blened in with the shadows.

"If you think you can command me, your forgetting an important detail, child." he trailed off, lurking in the shadows, speaking quietly. "I'm a Fury, but i'm stronger than you. Do you know why? Because I'm becoming an Ancient. Its a tranforming process, really. Perhaps I will show you my full Pre-Ancient power when we return, or maybe now if you please?" Davis smiled, revealing elongated fangs. "On another note, we aren't here to fight. Actually, I'd like to avoid a confrontation with a mutt, so keep your cool, kid." he was serious now. He walked a few more meters and crouched at his scouting point, pulling out a small camera and snapping a few pictures. This whole ordeal should only last minutes.

Ethan was not phased nor was he tooken back when Davis said he was becoming an acient. He simply shrugged and then burst out laughing " Actually no sir new bloods are stronger than Fury but because your becmoming an acient you may be slight stronger, i have intend to fight you i shall be sparring with Victorie when i return". He Followed ans waited watching him take the pictures.

After he was done taking pictures, He turned to Ethan. He moved at an amazing rate of speed. He was at the exit of the Sewer within seconds. He was back in the manor a few seconds after that. Nodding at Victorie and sliding his camera film into the elder council room. He turned to Victorie. "when Ethan returns, tell him I'll be in the training room waiting to teach him a lesson." He joked, but was serious about the request.

Ethan wandered around and then rose from the sewer returning to the manor. He walked over to the tranning room and looked at Davis " Like i said i have no intention of sparring, i already promised Victorie but dont worry wil have out spar". He laughed before heading back upstairs and returning to Victorie " Hey do you want to train where i showed you earlier?".

When Davis walked away, Victorie's attention was on Ethan, who kindly ignored her question about his 'alone time' with Davis. He's doing that to me on purpose, she thought, wondering if he's been told to keep his trap shut or he really didn't know himself.

"It's okay, you don't have to answer that, unless you want to."

Victorie blinked, slightly baffled until she realized that he noticed her not-so-subtle change in subject a while ago.

"By the way, we should train when I return." Ethan stepped away with just that, moving to Davis' side like the mechanical New Blood he had now become. Victorie caught Ethan's slight nod over his shoulder as the two left the hall. She turned to the window and the hill he pointed out earlier. If she's going to find out why the Elders and Furies were being so secretive over plans everyone already knew were developing, then she's was going to the hill.

She shook her head and turned her attention back to Solomon. "Betcha you know about that bit of Cloak and Dagger with Davis and Ethan too, but it's all hush hush, right?" Victorie didn't know why she was getting so upset, but since Davis was gone she could speak her peace…with a little ease.

"Why are the Elders being so careful not to tell us what we already know?" Her hands gestured down the hall, "We all know we're heading into battle…us New Bloods know we're unprepared, but what we don't know is when all of this shit's going down…" Her face was flushed now and her eyes glazed over with a flash of hatred. "I, of all people, want to make those puppy dogs pay for what they'd done, but keeping us in the dark, building up this…aching anticipation…"

Her hands flexed repeatedly, and before anyone had a chance to blink, her mischievous right hand flashed behind her back, seizing a dagger, and flinging it straight down the hall where it bulls-eyed between the eyes of a figure pouring blood wine in a scene on a beautiful tapestry that hung on the wall. Several coven members who were going on about their business stopped frozen in their tracks, surprised at the condition of the tapestry and following its flight back to her hand – still hanging in mid air. Victorie was losing her control.

She snarled at the faces watching her with various forms of confusion, concern and humor. Holding back her compulsion to just send a spray of daggers their way - to make reality reflect art - she began to pace, taking deep breaths as she combed her fingers through her dirty blond hair. It loosened from its bindings and fell to her shoulders. When she found her center again, she looked up at Solomon with a bit of guilt .

"My apologies, Solomon…I'm…I'm just…" Why make up an excuse. Everyone was right, she's mental and unfit for anything.

Ethan walked down the hall into a small room thet was at the very end. He opened the closet and placed a long sleeved shirt on the bed. Changing into the shirt he walked into the bathroom and washed his face looking in the mirror he sighed. He walked out the bathroom and looked out the window watching the trees sway back and forth because of the winds. He walked out the room and down the hall watching the face expressions on some of the people who walked past him.

His face turned to the dagger in the picture and when he looked in the other direction he saw Victorie. Walking down the hall he looked at her and then looked away tword the door. He planed on going out to train and the wether was suiting for him asking again before he left he turned when he reached the door " Do you wish to train with me?". He looked over at Victorie.

Before she made another stupid mistake before Solomon and the rest of the house, Victorie answered Ethan with a nod and rushed out the hallway. Crossing polished marble floors, she headed to the back exit onto the ancient Victorian patio overlooking an over-grown version of a luxurious yard and a landscape maze that was frozen in time.

She stood where the forest outlined the yard, leaning against one of the older oaks and began digging her fingers deeper and deeper into the wet bark until it bled sap. Victorie was happy to be out of the manor...and actually satisfied to feel the wet drops of drizzle against her heated forehead. There was just so much running through her head, with the added punishment that might come to her for damaging an ancient tapestry; Victorie really did need to relax.

Rins small gasps filled the woods not too far off from the manor. She tossed her shovel to the side and braced herself against a tree. Her beautiful dark hair stuck to her rosy cheeks. Even with the paleness her vampirism brought, her heeks had a scarlet gloss as if she were still alive. She would be stuck like this forever, with the body of an idol. Which didn't seem so bad though it wasn't what she wanted. She wanted to grow older and find a lover, take over and expand her fathers business. Now all of that as irrelevant and she has accepted what she's become.

Rin lifted herself off the tree and gaze at the gaping whole she had dug. It was tiring even for a new blood. It had to be at least 20 ft in depth just so she could be sure it wasn't discovered by prying furies or nosey new bloods. She the glanced at the large sack by her side. It was filled with weapons from the shope her father used to run. Semi automatics, rifles, handguns, smg's, you name it. They were the only thing she couldn't part with. Especially when news came that her leader was missing. It had to be the dogs. Who else? Either way a war was inevitable. She tossed her treasured sack in the pit, having high hopes for it to remain a secret. Then she began the tedious task of filling the pit again.

After what seemed like forever plus a good 10 minutes of rest Rin returned to the manor, hoping not to be questioned by anyone. She quickly hurried to the lounge and took a seat on the sofa, giving hrself a moment to rest. She hadn't taken a break since the night before when she started a petite killing spree, she hoped no one noticed that aswell. Rin was so engrosed in keeping a low profile she didn't notice how soaked she was until she plomped her butt in the sofa. Thetight, white button up she was wearing was now dripping and transparent. She quickly hugged her chest and could only hope no one was staring. Thank god she was wearing a black skirt.

Ethan watched her walk down the hall quickly. L ooking at the rest of the members of the household they went about doing what they were doing before. He walked down the hallway were she was went and out by the patio. Watching the rain pour down he looked out to see Victorie leaning on a tree her back tword him. Sighing he knew she was stressed, and he knew the sistuation in the house only made it worse.

He couldn't blame her though, he was stressed as well but had better ways of releving his stress and whenever he had the chance he left tha manor. Walking over he felt the cold drops of rain on his body, When he reached her his clothes were almost soaked. " Hey dont beat yourself up all the time i know things are stressful but atleast you have me". He grabbed her arm and pulled her into his embrace " Look its poring rain but if you still want to train it's fine if you dont".

Davis snarled and walked into the main corridor, turning and walking into his quarters. He sat down on his large, empty, king sized bed. He let out a brief sigh, and pulled the pistol from his belt-line, laying on his bed. He was so busy lately he hadn't spared the time to feed. His senses were certainly heightened by this. He turned and looked at his computer screen, that notified him of one new Email. After a few moments logging in, he discovered where a new-blood had been all night. A killing spree, it seemed. Davis didn't think on it too much, he was far to tired for such. He stood up and walked back into the corridor. He made his way to where they had kept the blood bags and he took a generous helping of what seemed like at least 50 bags. When he was finished he pulled off his white, now blood stained shirt, and went back down into the lobby, shirtless. He looked at the girl sitting on the couch, not ashamed of his shirtless body. he nodded. She was the girl who killed the people last night. He nodded, and continued into the laundry room, grabbing a new shirt.

-----------------------

Lucas pulled himself out of the sewer. He had actually traveled in the opposite direction as the monsters. He put his gun on a back-pack holster and began a hike back to his campsite. His pack was heavy from the weaponry and metal, and he made it back to his camp in what seemed like forever. He dropped his pack and started a small campfire. He sat for a while, cleaning his weapons, cleaning his body, clearing his mind. He soon after went to bed early, after a tiring day.

"Hey, don't beat yourself up all the time. I know things are stressful, but at least you have me."

Ethan pulled her into his arms, and for once – in a blue moon – Victorie actually recalled how it felt to be caringly hugged by someone. A flash of the past perhaps, those little things that have long been lost that reminded her that she was once human. She soaked in that embrace and calmed.

"True…I may not have a hold on myself…but you do." She giggled a bit, actually making a joke. To be honest, she knew Ethan's been the only friend she had in that house. At least, the only person who seemed to care; that's rare in a vampire coven she's noticed.

"Look, it's pouring rain. But, if you still want to train… it's fine if you don't."

"No," she shook her soaked head, "I'm not in the mood to go back… All I'll walk into is punishment for that damn tapestry I just messed up…" She pulled away and began backing up in the direction of the hill. "Besides, I still have my throwing daggers... Wouldn't hurt to try them on something else,
besides a sparing dummy."

Ethan held Victorie in his embrace feeling her relax against his body. He knew what it was like being alone and having noone, his older brother was out there somewhere living his life and he was doing the same.. except things had got complicated for him and he wound up becoming a vampire. The rain wasn't lighting up and he knew it wouldn't stop any time soon.

When Victorie pulled away from his embrace and said she wanted to go to the hill he nodded since he wasn't in a rush to return to the manor anyway. " Look ill doubt you will be punished for a dagger in a picure, theres plenty of reckless new bloods running around and your not one of them. Walking off until he made his way to the top of the hill did he pull of his soaked shirt as the rain fell on his bare chest.

"I'm not one of them? Ha! Don't make me laugh! I'm not reckless...I'm just unpredictable..."

And before there was a chance to take a breath or for another rain drop to fall, Victorie released a single dagger. It flew towards Ethan and quickly slipped his soaked shirt out of his hand - hanging it nicely by the collar on the nearest tree.

She just laughed at his reaction; her right hand twirling another dagger teasingly. "Sorry....thought I'll help you hang that up." It was nice to be herself again, without caring about the problems of the manor, or the problems within herself. But, she still had a few questions for Ethan anyway...

"So, Davis' not here... care to chat about why you two are all of a sudden buddies?" She was being so nosy...but anxieties and eagerness tends to make her so antsy about things.

He looked over at his shirt flopped against the tree only held by the dagger thrown by Victorie. He chuckled and looked at her " You certinally are unpredictable but thats for haning up my shirt". He moved around slightly watching her. " Hey your skilled in ranged combat but ths is gapple and fist only so you might get a little dirty". When she mentioned Davis he thought about the question/

" Were damn sure not buddies, and quite frankly we butt heads i guess he knows im not the one to piss off, and he's a bit full of himself to say the least". He sighed and then grabbed Victorie and shoved her into the tree leaning down so his face was just inches from hers. " whats with the sudden intrest huh?" He tilted her chin up slightly and waited for an reply.

"We're damn sure not buddies, and quite frankly we butt heads. I guess he knows I'm not the one to piss off, and he's a bit full of himself, to say the least".
Ethan tackled her in mid response, pushing her so hard against a tree behind her, she could actually feel her body form into the bark. Impressive..but mere child's play.

"What's with the sudden interest, huh?"

And that's when she clammed up; just centimeters separated them. She was suddenly feeling the chill of the air but it evaporated as soon as it hit her skin. Ethan tilted her chin up slightly and gave her a inquisitional look, one that was playful, yet charming, but down right instigating.

"Well, it's cause of...everything going on...," she turned defensive, jerking her chin away. "Look, if I want to be a part of - whatever secret service action you guys are setting up, then I have that right! You weren't there when we were ambushed... I want to make them pay for taking our leader!" Her fangs flashed as she hissed, "I can't stand just hanging around - waiting for orders... I want to fight!"