The College Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luce laughed, "Some friends," but he seemed happy. He was surprised at how well their relationship was going. This is only their second meeting, and yet, it seemed like they were already the best of friends. If someone thought that they have been friends for years, Luce wouldn't argue against it, because it certainly did seem like it.

Bailey didn't seem offended by the assumption, and she was rather insistent on allowing the waitress to assume whatever she wanted. He shrugged, he actually didn't mind paying full price - he was expecting too anyways, but if Bailey didn't mind... "Well, it's up to you. If you're comfortable with it then..." He grinned, "We'll devour that free dessert." He then took a sip of his water, shivering a bit as the freezing water ran down his throat. "I wonder what it is, though. She didn't specify."

She grinned, nodding. "The best kind of friends are the ones who can hurt your feelings and still not offend you." Bailey was very firm in this belief. Her friends weren't always the nicest, but they did mean well. She liked how well Luce seemed to get along with her. They had only hung out one time before, and yet here they were, acting just like old friends. She had no complaints.

She looked at him, a little flattered that he cared that much that she was comfortable with the idea of playing couple. It wasn't like they had to do anything besides talk and eat, which really wasn't any different from how they'd normally behave. "Cheap food is sometimes good food. It's really no problem." She told him easily, thinking nothing of it. "Maybe it's better not to ask what it is." She teased, but she was somewhat curious as well.

Luce slightly raised his eyebrow at Bailey's belief, but when he thought about it, he realized it was actually true. How many times have he made fun of his own friends, and vice versa? He couldn't help but smile and test her boundaries playfully though, "So, if your best friend called you really fat - not that you are! - it's fine?" His hand reaching out to twiddle a bit with the straw idly.

He nodded, glad that Bailey approved of their little deceitful plan. "Cool, more money saved on my part." He then glanced over at the door that led to the kitchen. He wondered what sort of strange desserts Asians can come up with. After all, they are known for some rather strange foods... Crickets... Dogs... Brains... He shudder at the thought, but tried to cast it aside. "You're right, ignorant is bliss."

During their talk, the waitress soon brought out their food. The aromas of all the dishes smelled wonderful - so hopefully it tasted as good as it smelled. And their table was filled with the brim, thanks to Luce's insanely large order. He rubbed his hands in anticipation, "Bon apetite. And feel free to grab some of my food!"

(I'm sincerely sorry for my absence. It wasn't something I had planned upon.)

"Would depend mostly on the tone and why she'd said it. But that is one of those insults girls avoid. There's a difference between bitchy in a friend way and bitcht in a mean way, you know?" She was pretty sure he would just write her off as a babbling girl and that'd be the end of the topic, but so be it. It was just one of those things that were just easier left unexplained. At least, unexplained by her.

"Saved money is certainly always a good thing." She commented. She didn't really put much thought into the dessert they'd been discussing. She'd been told more than once what was used in Chinese cuisine and that simply wasn't something she could stomach prior to eating. Worst case scenario was something that tended to hold the mind over the best-case, that was for sure.

The waitress brought out their food, the table packed full of all the dishes that had been ordered. It wasn't the largest table to begin with, so with multiple dishes on the table between the two of them, there was only enough additional space for their cups and perhaps their elbows if they were careful to keep it out of the noodles. "I might have to take you up on that."

Luce laughed lightly at her explanation, it was sort of lengthy, but he listened without interruption. "Yes, that's true. I suppose I am guilty of being 'bitchy in a friend way' often enough after all."

He immediately dug into his food. He didn't mind sharing with Bailey, in fact, he encouraged it, "You should try some of the pork chops, they're amazing~" He happily grinned in between his bites. After he got through his first round of food (of course he wasn't done yet), he leaned back and smiled at her. "You mentioned earlier you got a new boyfriend. Do you like him?" He asked curiously. He hadn't actually thought about voicing his curiosity, but he thought he needed to start them out in some sort of conversation besides just food... And that was the first thing that he thought of.

He seemed to grasp her explanation fairly well, despite it's ridiculousness. "Aren't we all? Personally, I like bitchy in a friend way." She informed him with a small smile. It was one of her favorite forms of speech.

She began to eat her lo mein happily. The food was fantastic, definitely a place she would repeat visiting. Several times in the next month, more than likely. Especially if she was able to drag Ran into the building along with her. For all that Bailey adored take out, she really did enjoy eating in when she was in good company. She grinned at his obvious enthusiasm over the food. "Gimme a sec to at least put a dent in this." Bailey said with a laugh, and when he brought up her boyfriend she glanced down at her food. "Yeah, I do. He's a good person, just a little bit arrogant sometimes." She told him, as if that was her explanation for glancing down. She did really enjoy his company.

"I'll keep that in mind." He winked at her playfully, laughing. "Though if I get too bitchy, I give you permission to hurt me."

"Psh, a dent. I'm surprised you haven't devoured your plate yet." He teased, although he slightly meant it saying he already finished at least 3/4th of his own lo mein plate... Luce was use to eating fast, and he was use to eating a lot. The fact that the food tasted great (despite the terrible condition the shop was in...) was just a bonus. But when Bailey glanced down at her food, as if the mention of her boyfriend wasn't something she really wanted to bring up, he blinked a bit. "A 'little' arrogant?" he asked, pressing her just a little more.

"Are you sure you want to grant that permission?" She asked curiously, slightly amused. "Once upon a time I could hit pretty hard..." She teased, but meant nothing by it. She wasn't the type to take things personally.

"Tasting this awesome food is generally one thing I like to be able to take my time with." She told him with a laugh, noting how much he'd cleared of his own plate. It was pretty impressive, she had to admit. He pressed the arrogant part, something she wasn't sure why she had mentioned. It wasn't like it was a major flaw or anything. "Um yeah. Liiiiiittle bit self-centered. Not a big deal though, he's a great person." She said, hoping that would make sense.

Luce eyed her a bit, as if he's trying to decide if giving her permission was the correct choice or not. "I don't know... It won't end in my death or anything, right?" He smiled a bit, holding his fork at her a little - as if accusing her. "I don't appreciate getting murdered, just so you know."

"Taking your time? But if you go too slowly, the food's going to cool down! Then it won't be as tasty as it could have been." He sighed jokingly, "Jeez, Bailey! You're like an eating noob." Despite his playful antics, he watched her a bit, seeing how she talked about her boyfriend. She said she was fine with him being a little conceited, and he decided not to press anymore. Everyone has their own little flaws right? So, he just continued to guzzle down his food like a beast.

She looked taken aback, as if offended by the suggestion that she would murder him. "You offend me, sir. I would never kill you. I have people to do that for me." Bailey sat up a little straighter, pretending that she was telling the truth. She wasn't exactly the favorite daughter of a mob boss. Try second favorite daughter to a dentist. That'd be a little more accurate.

She laughed at him, amused. Of course, she didn't actually speed up her eating at his teasing, if anything she slowed down a bit to be able to speak to him. "Maybe I like my food cooled down." She taunted, and pointedly blew on the noodles before eating them. "So what about you? Any girlfriend to speak of?" She asked, figuring she may as well get that little tidbit out of the way. Perhaps it would explain why he'd been so concerned about saying they were dating when they so clearly weren't.

His eyes widened, "Woah, mafia's daughter? I'm so sorry." He tsked at her action, "Even if you are the mafia's daughter, you shall never enjoy food to the maximum enjoyment then, pity."

Luce then looked a little surprised by her question. "Me?" He shook his head, "Nah, I use to have a girlfriend in high school, but we broke up due to distance." He always bitterly hated the statistics that stacked against high school relationship, but he admit that it was true. Long distance relationship was a sure way to bend and break a relationship. He sighed mentally.

"Not exactly. But dentists have their ways." She informed him, unable to keep a straight face for that line. Her father would certainly not approve of this conversation, that much was certain.

She couldn't understand why he seemed so surprised that she'd asked. It was a valid enough question, he was a boy her age, after all. Dating wasn't unheard of. "Ah, gotcha. Distance can be a real pain." She said, knowing how that went. While she'd never broken up with someone for that particular reason, she had a few close friends that had tried very hard to maintain a long distance relationship. It'd been a major struggle for them.

"A dentist?" He asked, breaking character a little, "Cool, both of your parents are?" He then realized his mistake and coughed a little, "I mean, I'm sorry! Don't let them pull out all my teeth. I'm too young to use dentures!"

Luce nodded, "Yeah, it is." His face drooped lightly, remembering his own relationship failures, but he quickly shook his head. "Ah well, things happen, right?"

He got caught up in fact and dropped the act a little, recovering rather well from such a slip. "Nah, mom's a wedding photographer." Bailey explained before regaining her composure. "Well, we'll just have to see." She told him, leaving that whole idea rather open ended. She wasn't really good at empty threats.

She felt her mouth turn down slightly when she mentioned distance once more. She shook her head and sighed softly. "Things do happen. Besides, you've got a campus full of potential if you wanted that." Bailey said, quick to change the topic from break ups.

Luce just chuckled "the daughter of a wedding photographer and a dentist. You are certainly fearsome." He answered sarcastically, finishing up the last bites of his food. He just smiled at the suggestion of finding other 'potentials.' "Yeah, I suppose so. Haven't found anybody I have a crush on yet, though." He shrugged, "Guess I'm still looking."

Luce waited as Bailey finished the last of her meal as well, and the waiter came by to place down their desserts and some fortune cookie. "You two are so sweet and cute together~" She waiter smiled happily before walking off. Luce's face flushed just slightly, but then distracted himself by glancing down at the desserts. He didn't know what to make of it. "They look like... fluff balls... Do you know what they are?"

image33.jpg

"And don't you forget it!" She said, wagging a finger at him in the most threatening manner she could manage. She had eaten nearly half of her lo mein at this point, which was a serious accomplishment on her part. Bailey was horrible at eating in one sitting. She was a leftovers type through and through. "Well, you've got a few years to find one. Not like there's any rush."

She was 'finished' at this point, and the waitress took that as a cue to swoop in. They were given a plate of ball-shaped desserts, a couple fortune cookies and a compliment about how cute they were together, and then she was gone again. "Not a clue, but I'm going to eat one and hope I like it." Bailey told him honestly, and as if to prove her point she took one, taking a large bite from it and chewing thoughtfully. "Pretty good, I must say."

Luce shrugged in response, he didn't really care if he found a girlfriend anytime soon. Although, he does have to admit, it gets a little lonely. But, he suppose most people think that right? He quickly changed his thoughts, he did not want to go into a sappy depression. That's just sad. He had some wonderful looking... fluff balls... to look forward to!

He watched her curiously when she took a bit, and after her comment he looked back down at the desserts. "Well, you aren't dying yet... So I suppose I'll try one." He picked one up and plopped it into a his mouth. That was a bit mistake, because for a while, he looked like a child who first discovered the horrors of chew food. He overestimated the balls, and had shoved a little bit too much in his mouth, so he had to stretch his jaws in uncomfortable positions to fully chew. After a giant gulp, he looked a little pale in the face. "Don't... try doing that."

After massaging the sides of his jaws a little he spoke up, "It was good... just painful to eat all at once." He grinned at Bailey weakly.

"I'm glad to know you waited to check for poison." She responded dryly, looking at him with a teasing hint of disdain. Honestly, if she'd been in his shoes she'd probably have done the exact same thing. Bailey watched as he put the entire thing in his mouth, apparently struggling to chew due to it's size. "You severely underestimated that puff ball... thing. For shame." She said with a laugh, now that he was able to swallow. The whole ordeal had appeared rather painful in her eyes, but perhaps that was the intent? Something about earning the sweets? No, that would be absurd.

She had to laugh, and immediately tried to stop. Laughing at his pain was so uncalled for, but she was inclined to do that. As a friend, she was supposed to take amusement in his less-than-life-altering misfortunes. She would expect the same from him if it were to ever come up that he bore witness to one of her mistakes. "Sorry, I just. Why did that seem like a good idea?" She questioned curiously.

Luce smiled mischievously, but shrugged. He didn't deny using her as a 'poison tester' because he knew it would be a futile attempt. "Look at the bright side, nobody was hurt." After eating the food though, he glared at her lightly as she laughed, still rubbing her jaw. "Hey, it doesn't LOOK like it would be something difficult to eat! I didn't realize how painful it would be, it looks soft." But, he smiled a tiny bit - as much as his pained jaw would allow anyways.

Luce then took a sip of his drink, to down the dessert, and decided to pick up the fortune cookie. That one he KNOWS how to eat. He also tossed her one, opening the bag of his own. He cracked open the cookie, and read his fortune aloud, "Keep your eye out for someone special." He tilted his head, unsure what to think of it. "Well... Ookay, what about yours?"

"Just your confidence in your eating ability." She commented, smirking at him. He still looked like he was in pain from taking on the entire fluff ball. "Honestly, I would have done the same if I'd been sure that it wasn't poisoned." She confided, as if it were an extremely important secret that really needed to just stay between them for the safety of all involved. In all reality, it probably should have been obvious. She wasn't always the most cautious individual.

She caught the fortune cookie he'd tossed in her direction, opening the package and cracking the cookie open. She quirked a brow at his fortune, a little amused. Uncanny timing for such a fortune to come along. "The one you love is closer than you think." She stopped to contemplate that idea for a few moments. "Well those were exceptionally vague."

Status
Not open for further replies.