The College Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I go once in a while, but most of the friends I make are the people I see in class." He explained. "Or once in a while, I randomly encounter one after fighting off a mob." He teased lightly, clearing referring to Bailey.

He was still looking through all the photography, as if he was studying each and everyone. Unlike most people, who just glance and say it looks nice, Luce actually decided to take the time to fully appreciate the effort Bailey puts into her work. "Really? How do you choose your favorites?" He ask curiously.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey, nothing wrong with making friends in battle. It's always a surefire way to meet new people." She joked, knowing he was really only referring to her. Unless he made a habit of making new friends in that mosh pit that was the library's project floor.

She blushed, ducking her head. She was a little shy when it came to her work, which was saying a lot because Bailey simply didn't have shy in her programming. "Well, like this one. I loved the lighting, so I took four or five. And the prospective angle, the division of the image into three equal parts. It's the most aesthetically pleasing of the options."

He laughed at the memory and the comment. That certainly was a battle of life and death.

Luce then turned to look at Bailey as she was giving her reason why she chose the photos. At first, he had no idea what she meant, but after a little, he believes he sort of got it. He turned back to the photo, and then glanced back over at her. "Like... How it's balanced?"

She smiled when she heard his laugh. It was a refreshing sound.

He looked back at the photo and asked another picture, so she figured it was easier to just show him. She pulled out her editing program and pulled up the image on the wall. She clicked a button that divided the image in nine equal parts. "See how it's equal parts horizontally and vertically?" She asked, pointing out the specific parts.

He leaned over her shoulder a bit, to get a better look at the picture. His eyes widened in awe and amazement, by the program, and also by Bailey's eyes. "You're able to see that in your head?" He asked, turning just slightly so he can get a better look at her.

Luce, himself, didn't seem to take notice, but his face was right next to hers...

He was leaning over her to get an actual good look at the screen, and she didn't think much of it. He seemed rather impressed by such a skill, and she clicked the button again to make the lines disappear. "I've been doing it for a while." She said modestly, shrugging off what seemed like an almost compliment.

She looked at him directly, not really taking notice of how close they really were. It just felt natural to her.

He chuckled a little bit and leaned back away since there was nothing on the computer to see anymore. "Well, someone is being a little modest." He said a bit teasingly, knowing that such art skills didn't just appear over night.

"A friend of mine use to really be into art," he then revealed, thinking a little. "There was this one art store she liked to visit a lot. Do you do anything other than photography?" He curiously asked, really showing interest at the topic, despite knowing nothing of art himself.

He backed off a bit, which was probably for the best. If someone were to walk in, it'd look a little.. bad. Bailey didn't want to risk a rumor of her cheating on Kyle. She wasn't the kind of girl who could bounce back from something like that. "Nah, I'm just never satisfied with my work. Bad, I know."

"That's awesome!" She said earnestly. Art people were so very cool to get to know. They had a different spin on things. "I love to draw. Can't do jack with a paintbrush though. What about you, any art in your blood?" She asked curiously, shutting down and closing her laptop.

Luce shrugged, "Being critical of one self can be good." He would know, he's got to be his own biggest critique in everything he did after all.

He shook his head, a bit embarrassed. "Nah, I don't have even an artistic cell in my body. I enjoy looking though." He confessed. He really did wish he would be able to create such beautiful pieces, and bring them life into the world, but he just simply couldn't. "I've been known to even draw stick figures wrong!"

"No one else really agrees with that. They say I'm too hard on it." Bailey explained, but she agreed with him entirely. It was better to critique oneself than have another pull you back to reality.

She kind of smiled at his embarrassment. "That's not a bad thing. Sometimes it'd probably be easier not to have the artistic cells." Bailey confided, pausing briefly. She laughed at his comment about stick figures. "Are you sure that's even possible? Because I don't think it is."

"As long as it's constructive criticism and not just beating yourself over it, I think it's fine." He remembered when he had to learn that the hard way. The constant self-bashing... It definitely wasn't healthy.

He laughed a little at Bailey's confession. "I never heard of an artist saying that they wish they didn't have their drawing ability!" He smiled a bit, tilting his head. He was teasing her, but in all seriousness, "It really is amazing what they can do with their hands. And do you really want to bet on my lack of ability?" He grinned, reaching to pick up a pencil off the table. "If you really think it's atrocious, then... You owe me something." He simply ended. He couldn't actually think of a bet to introduce. Money wasn't cool. But what else do people bet for?

"Exactly my thoughts on the topic." She agreed, shifting back further on her bed so her back was against the wall. It was more comfortable and required less effort that way.

She tilted her head at his laughter until he explained it. "Well, when you have something in your head but nothing will come out, it gets a bit disheartening." She attempted to explain. It was a little strange concept. "There are some incredibly talented individuals out there." She agreed, and nodded eagerly when he offered a bet regarding drawing ability. "Hmm. But you have to agree not to throw the bet in your favor. And um... maybe coffee? I mean, that sounds like a fair bet?"

He smiled as she tilted her head, that was certainly an endearing action. Then he nodded as her explanation, sort of understanding. "I get it. It's like a little worm trapped in your head." He mentally compared it to a musical ear worm, although he was sure that it wasn't entirely the same thing. It was as close as he could get though.

Luce grinned, "Deal. And I swear, I'll draw the best stick figure I can." He then proceeded to do so. The entire time, it seemed like he was concentrating very hard. He was holding onto the pen rather tightly. It looked as though he was in the middle of a masterpiece.

The outcome? Well, it's down below.
Luce Drawing.jpg
He leaned back, viewing his artwork. He tilted his head, trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Then he looked up at Bailey, his smile weak. "Well... This is actually one of my better ones..."

"Worm is a surprisingly good choice of words for it." She agreed with a nod. Now, she wasn't going to go around saying that she had a worm in her head when there was a blockage in the flow from pen to paper, but it would make a little more logical analogy later on if she were to need it.

He agreed to her terms and Bailey had to smile. There was something so ridiculous about this little challenge of theirs that made her feel happy inside. It was like the weight of school had completely been taken off her shoulders, and she was able to relax around Luce. "Sounds like we have a bet."

She watched in silence as he focused hard on his drawing. Bailey waited until he was done and holding it up to show her before saying a word. "Those. Are. Adorable." She was sure to enunciate each word for him, just to stress it. "Pssh. And you said you couldn't draw a stick figure. This is going on my wall."

Metaphorically (although, he would like to think "literally") his jaws dropped. "You seriously like them? Come on, they got like... Coal heads or something!" He couldn't believe what he heard. Did she really think they were cute?! Unless...

He accused her playfully, pointing at her as if she was some sort of criminal in court. "You're lying to me so you would get more free coffee!" He announced, a little loudly. He wanted to be serious, but he just couldn't help the grin sneaking up on his face.

She looked at him, scrunching up her face at his disbelief. What was so hard to believe about this? "Absolutely! Hey, coal heads are people too!" Bailey scolded, not even able to hold back the smile creeping up on her face.

He was pointing now, his accusation making her double over in laughter. "My plot... has been foiled!" She exclaimed, trying to be disappointed but she could play it off as such. She shook her head. "Seriously though, those are some of the most adorable stick people I've ever seen. Scout's honor." She held up her hand, trying to play the role of the serious one.

Luce laughed loudly, but tried to continue his role as the victim. "How can I trust you? You..." He tried to think of an insult, and the only thing he came up with is "Coffee Digger!"

Grumbling playfully, he even looked over at their leftover Starbucks on the table. "And to think, I even gave you my free coffee." He shook his head in disappointment. "I should have known your true colors." He hung his head low, like a heart-broken detective in a very sappy and dramatic TV show.

She was impressed with Luce's dedication to being the victim. She tried to cover up the rather unladylike snort that came out when she laughed at his insult. "Coffee digger? I thought we were friends!" Oh, it felt good to laugh this much. Bailey swiped the corners of her eyes dry.

He was looking at their Starbucks on the table and her brow quirked upward playfully. He was going to say something good this time, she was sure of it. "Oh, you poor thing. You have it so rough." She pretended to sympathize.

Luce was also having a very difficult time holding back his laughter. His "silence" became a string of "pppfffttt" and not-so-subtle coughs. "That's what I thought too, before you betrayed me!" He clutched as his heart, closing his eyes, his body still shaking from explosive laughter. "I know. I know. You can be so cruel to me." He then sighed, and stood up. Then he plopped down on her bed, face down. "Fate is too cruel!" His muffled cries rang through the dorm room, which was quickly followed by muffled "crying."

She saw just how much Luce was struggling, and consequently laughed even harder. Even when he was trying to bite back a laugh, his shoulders were obviously shaking. "I betrayed you? But you saw right through my antics. How can you hold this against me?" She argued, the grin on her face unable and unwilling to disappear. Oh, so cruel. Bailey shook her head, watching as he flopped onto her bed, face down in her comforter. "You know what they say about karma...." She taunted, though she really had nothing to back herself up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.