The College Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luce rolled his eyes, "My eating abilities are at the master level." He laughed at her 'honest confession'. "Such the dentist's daughter," his tone acting as if he said something sort of insulting.

He popped piece of the cookie in his mouth and listened to Bailey. His surprise showed on his face - their fortunes were rather close to one another. Love fortune. But then again, weren't most of cookie fortunes out there dealing with love, luck, or wealth? It probably wasn't too much of a coincidence. "They always are." Luce said, voicing his skeptism about the whole fortune to begin with, "So that way they're not necessary 'lies' when something does happen." He then placed the money down to pay for the bill, and stood up. "Ready to blow this stand?"

"Such an ineffective insult." She retorted, rolling her eyes at him before popping the second half of the fortune cookie into her mouth, crunching happily.

Bailey was a little surprised at the coincidentally similar fortunes that the two had received, but she wrote it off as yet another thing having to do with their little couples' lunch deal. She wasn't complaining, she always thought that fortune cookies were cute, but never really read too far into them. She wasn't exactly running out to bet on her lucky numbers. "Well, it'd certainly be interesting to get a fortune that tells you something direct. I'd pay full price for that." She joked lightly as she stood up. "Absolutely. Thanks for buying lunch, you really didn't have to do that."

Luce shook his head, "Nah, really, don't mention it! It was part of the bet anyways." He grinned a bit, giving Bailey an excuse to expel her guilt. He was about to step out of the door, when suddenly his phone rang. He pulled it out, "Ah... Sorry about this." He said apologetically, before answering the phone. "Hello? Yeah... Yeah... Wait... Seriously? Okay, okay, fine! I'll be there in a few minutes." Luce then hung up the phone and turned to Bailey. "I'm sorry, Bailey, but I got to go, my best friend decided to crash and he's currently standing outside my apartment freezing to death."

He waved at her a little and waved, "I'll love to meet up again later, though!" He called out behind him as he ran off into the cold streets.

~~~​
Kyle has been looking forward to return back to school the entire week. Well, 'looking forward' might have been an exaggeration, why would anybody be excited to return to those dreadful classes? He really think the whole 'school' thing should be dropped... But his parents insisted. There was one good thing about it though - his girlfriend.

Sure, she's a lot younger than he was, but she was pretty hot. And she wasn't bad company either. It's too bad he had some news to tell her... But he's sure they'll be able to handle it.

Kyle's been gone all week, and he finally flew back in on Sunday. He was going to call Bailey, but decided to give her a little surprise instead. She wouldn't mind a little visit anyways, right?

When he arrived at Bailey's dorm, he knocked on the door. "Hey, Bailey?" He called out, hoping she was in, "You in? It's me, your most awesomnest boyfriend, Kyle."

Bailey grinned, waving him off as he raced away. She ducked the comments from the waitress as she pulled on her jacket, making her way out the door and back into the bitter wind with a sigh. Her phone rang and she happily picked up, holding a rather extensive conversation about virtually nothing with one of her classmates. It wasn't something to write home about, but it certainly kept her entertained on the walk back to her dorm.

~~~
Bailey had spent the week texting Ran, Luce, and of course, Kyle. It'd passed the time pretty well, and she'd spent a lot of time with her best friend, seeing as both of them didn't have on campus boyfriends. Today was Sunday, so she'd resigned herself to studying the day away with her roommate, who was currently complaining about truly not giving 'a flying shit about constitutional law'. Bailey was already ruling out the lawyer path for the girl.

She'd finally managed to finish a rather difficult equation and cheered her success to Bea, who looked bored to tears. They'd been held captive in their self-inflicted prison for far too long. A knock at the door brought them both out of their thoughts.

The girls looked over themselves thoughtfully. They were both in sweatpants and Bailey hadn't bothered to put in contacts this morning, so her glasses were resting low on her nose. Her hair was in a messy knot on the top of her head and Bea looked about the same.

Kyle's voice came through the door and she was up in a shot, going to the door quickly. He'd seen her in more disrepair than Sunday study hours, so she wasn't really ashamed. "Welcome back babe! I didn't know you were coming back to campus today." She said, giving him a quick hug before pulling away.​

Kyle smiled and gave Bailey a peck on the lips before looking at her in her disheveled state. He raised an eyebrow, but said nothing of it, it wasn't the first he's seen her like this. He then glanced over inside the room and waved at Bea, "Hey, Bea."

He walked into the room, plopping down at the bed. "So, ya'll studying?" he asked boredly, looking over at their table. His nose slightly wrinkled at the sight of boring text and boring equation, so he instead looked over at Bailey and Bea. He should have figured they were studying or something of such sorts, but he had hoped otherwise. He mentally sighed, it's too late to turn back now.

Kyle didn't seem all that impressed by how she was dressed, but honestly he couldn't have expected much more from the girl. He'd not exactly given her a heads up on what was going on. Bea didn't really address him much when he greeted her, just wiggled her fingers, grumbled something (not for the first time) about being pretty enough to be a stripper, and then went back to burying her nose in a textbook.

She nodded, sitting down beside him easily. "Yeah, I haven't had a chance to study this weekend, seemed like a good idea." She said simply, but shrugged. He already seemed a bit bored. "So, how was the family?" She asked him cheerfully, trying to detract from the obvious lack of excitement in the room.

Kyle shrugged boredly, "Everything is good, I suppose." He muttered, then looked over at Bea, knowing he couldn't just shoo her out of her own room. "I have some news, though."

He plopped down on Bailey's bed, as if what he was going to say next was nothing important. "I'm probably transferring school." He took out a small toy bouncy ball from his pockets and began to bounce it off the ceiling. A continual THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. echoed the room. "Somethin' to do with a grant or somethin'. I don't know."

She nodded, not really liking the sound of 'news'. He could have at least given her some warning about whether it'd be good or bad, seeing as she was one of those people that liked to brace herself for bad.

He played it off as though what he had to say wasn't important, so she assumed it wasn't. That is, until he dropped that bombshell. "Wait, you're leaving?" She asked, a bit shocked. Bea looked at Kyle in disbelief. "BRO. You don't just drop news like that. That's so unfair to her." Bailey was in shock from both sides. Bea never really called people out for her friends, she was a little too quiet for that, and Kyle had just told her he was leaving their school. Probably. Whatever that was supposed to mean.

Kyle didn't even deter from his ball-bouncing game. Instead, he gave a small laugh at Bea's 'BRO'. He doesn't hear her talk often, so he's always quite amused when she does. He quickly cleared his throat though, realizing that Bailey was freaking out a bit. "Apparently." He sat back up, but continued to play with his toy ball. "It's not a big deal though, right? Long-distance can't be bad."

"That's why I came to see you face-to-face. At least I didn't text it to ya." He muttered slightly. "It'll be fine. Our phones can do facetime and everything."

Bea looked visibly irritated by Kyle's bouncing, to the point where she stood up, stuck a pencil as a placeholder in her book, and left their room. She'd never seen her roommate look so annoyed by someone in the entire time she'd lived with her. "Not a big deal? Look,--" Bailey broke off, "Okay, please stop with the bouncing. We're having a conversation. Long distance is possible. But it's not the same and it's not like this is something I can just take in stride. You kinda just threw a grenade in here and expected me to take it like it's nothing."

Bailey wasn't the type to get upset. She really liked Kyle, and she really didn't want to be in an argument with him over this. "I am okay with being in a long distance relationship. They can work if we communicate. Just go easy on me, this isn't something I expected."

Kyle watched as Bea left, raising an eyebrow at her irritation, but his gaze then went back to Bailey. As soon as she mentioned it, he immediately ceased his movements. There was a surprised look evident in his eyes, but he just patiently waited until she was done talking. His fingers gripped the toy ball, as if he was itching to continue.

At first, he was quiet. He looked a bit surprised by her obvious annoyance, but as soon as she finished talking, he reached out to hug her. His arms wrapped around her, and he pulled her in. It was as if he wanted to soothe her. "I'm sorry," He said softly, "I wasn't sure how else to say it." His whispers were gentle, as if he truly did want to apologize. "Sure, I love communicating with ya, babe." He smiled, giving her his all-famous confident grin. "What else do you want to say?"

By the time Bailey had stopped talking, she'd run out of steam and was a little surprised at herself. She wasn't the type to get mad about things, especially in regard to Kyle. Generally, they had a very good relationship that allowed her to avoid needing to. Something about his presentation of the news was just enough to set her over the edge.

He pulled her in to hug her and she moved closer to him, resting her head against him as though it was the most comfortable thing in the world. His apology was all it really took, and every ounce of anger suddenly disappeared. How he managed to pull that off time and time again was beyond her, but she wasn't complaining. She smiled back at him and when he prompted her to say whatever else she needed to, Bailey nudged him lightly. "You need to get better at presenting news."

Kyle gave out a sigh, but he quickly turned it into a smirk. "You found my only flaw." He grinned, then let her go. "So, I'm thinking of going to the sister University of this school." He continued, as if the argument never happened. His own hand ran through his hair, effectively pulling back the strays that marred his face, "I'm transferring out in a few weeks. Sorry."

She slid away from him slightly, relaxing back on the palms of her hands, looking at Kyle as he began to explain where he was going to be transferring to, pretending that they hadn't just argued over something. "Well, thanks for the heads up." Bailey said finally, unsure of what else she was supposed to say. She watched Kyle with curiosity, not certain what to do or say from here. "So are you going to have chances to come visit or..?"

Kyle shrugged lightly at the question, slipping back to his usual care-free attitude. "I don't know, I guess? I still have my car and all... Or, you could come visit me, be easier... " He then glanced over at Bailey, as if gauging something in his mind... Then he smiled a bit, "Well, when you're not too busy I can stop by. Long as Bea over there doesn't try to attack me in revenge." He grinned lightly, thinking of the glare she gave him as she stormed away.

He sat back down on the bed. He slipped his ball back into his pocket with hesitation, holding back his desire to bounce is against the wall again. Then his eyes seem to take a notice something on the wall - a picture of stick figures. A look of confusion fell on his face, and it showed that he thought that the drawing was very strange. "That doesn't belong there, it's hideous."

Bailey bit her tongue instead of speaking when he simply said he guessed. It seemed as though Kyle hadn't actually thought through any of this conversation before he'd started it, and now Bailey was trying to avoid letting him dig himself a deeper hole. Maybe he'd just been prioritizing everything else above their new relationship? That wouldn't be so hard to believe. "Oh, okay." Bailey said simply. "I don't think Bea is much one for attacking people."

She noticed that he put the ball away, and part of her was relieved that he hadn't begun to bounce it off the walls again. That had been just a little too irritating for her liking. She let her brow quirk upward as an obvious look of confusion crossed his face. She followed his gaze to the stick figures that Luce had drawn her, causing her to smile at the memory. "Ah, but it does. A friend of mine drew it for me."

The slight amusement disappeared from his face when he noticed that Bailey didn't find his little comment about Beau to be funny. But he didn't say anything of it, instead, he looked back at the drawing. "But it's hideous!" He looked a bit flabbergasted, Kyle couldn't understand why Bailey would want to ruin her hard-working display of photographs with such an awful drawing. "You should probably take it down, those pictures around it is so much better." Kyle reached out, ready to rip the picture off the wall himself.

She was a little annoyed that he was pushing the drawing of the stick people so far. It wasn't his place to determine went on that wall. "Check yourself before you wreck yourself, Ky. I like it. It's cute." She said, offering the only plausible verbal warning she could think of. He looked so ready to take it down, and she really didn't appreciate it. "Just because it's not one of my projects doesn't mean it doesn't belong there. A friend drew it for me, let it go." Bailey said, keeping her obvious distaste out of her voice.

Kyle hesitated before dropping his hand; he didn't seem very happy by Bailey's warning. "Whatever, it's still going to stink up your wall though." He muttered before rolling on the bed a little to face away from the wall and towards her. "What friend, though? I thought I met most of your friends, and I can't imagine any of them drawing that." He eyed her slightly, a show of suspicion on his face.

She rolled her eyes at his 'whatever'. It was odd, to find such little things annoying. This wasn't her usual behavior. Kyle asked about the drawing and Bailey was more than happy to indulge him. It wasn't like Luce was something to hide. "Luce. I met him a few weeks back at the library, we worked on a project for a mutual class period." She didn't understand his suspicion, but she was ready to hear his response as soon as he had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.