The Bellmyre Estate [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tables have been updated! Still got a bunch more stuff to go on there that needs proper naming :3

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Too bad you can't love and thank at the same time it's just not allowed so what is love baby don't hurt me don't hurt me no more

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: LunarLavendula
Still accepting?

• Love
hmmm sounds interesting, though i got questions. Is there any rules on fighting socially, magically or (damned barbarians) physically? is it just a if it happens roll with it, unless you got items that can save your butt. also i didnt see char creation guide lines, regarding non-human races... any limits? might have over looked em, if so let me know. :)

reserving a spot!

Been working a lot, I should have my char to you tomorrow sorry.

Ah, I'd like to reserve a spot.
Rather, I'm working on submitting my character and I thought I should post something on the board.

I'm really new, I'm sorry if I'm doing things wrong.

We are most definitely still accepting! I'd love to have you on board, love all your posts in Dungeon of Solomon @Huntress :D

Regarding supernatural races, I don't have rules about how to design your race as I don't want to limit people's creativity :D However Character Sheets, after being PMed, are then adjusted and balanced :3 The reason I do it this way is because I've been in more roleplays were people have been afraid to use a cool idea because they were scared it would be too OP. I'd rather have the cool idea and nerf it if it's too strong :D bearing in mind that alot of the items are pretty unusual.

I've been wondering about how combat should work. Right now it is just standard fighting, with items making things interesting, but we have other options if people would prefer. One thing I was thinking of was making battles an extension of the Conflict system I'm working on. Text incoming -->
which is very similar to how the boardgame Fiasco works, there would be a limited number of dice, some good, some bad. Players can either decide on which dice they want to win per round (good or bad) or decide on a specific attack they want to do. If they choose the first option, other people decide their action, whereas if they go for the second option, other people decide the result. Now, despite what it may look like, the aim is not necessarily to get the most good dice only, but to create the best scenes. When all the dice run out, results are calculated based on BOTH sets of dice, and points are awarded based on dice collected and scene creation.
This would mean that players can be rewarded for losing battles if their scenes were the more interesting. Which I think would encourage people to think about how a fight scene would play out more carefully. If you're landing a million perfect hits, you might win the battle, but you might not win the points, which help you in the rest of the roleplay. Same goes for if you're just letting someone pummel you into oblivion :P Of course, it depends what you want out of a fight. People could have near-perfect fights to establish their characters in a certain light, even though they know it wont win them many points. So that's one option.

I haven't tested the system yet with combat, there would be some issues I need to balance with 1x1 fights for example. The other option is we go for a traditional battle system involving stats and dice, which might be better if people prefer :D It would be a quite simple dice system based on some of the older D&D builds (you roll to break the character's defense, then roll to deal damage) This would be interesting because items can come with specific commbat stats.

I'd love to hear what sort of combat systems people would prefer. If anyone has any other ideas to put foreward, I'd love to read them :D

welcome @katkami!

Alot of people are having a little trouble with the differences between traits, skills and abilities, so here's an explanation from a conversation I had with the lovely @R-9 Pilot :D

Skills are things like good at cooking, being good at math, knowing karate, being able to balance a basketball on your finger, being an excellent climber, being able solve a rubix cube in under ten seconds ect. Perhaps it's something they're naturally good at, or perhaps it's something they've trained themselves in over time.

Abilities are more supernatural. A vampire might be able to turn into a bat at will and a ghost might be able to float through walls.

Traits are more like characteristics. These can be personality traits, physical traits, things they're knowledgeable in or unusual habits /mannerisms they have. Traits are about them, while skills/abilities are things they can do. One character might have arrogant in their trait list while another might be knowledgeable about herbs. A third might have a habit of always throwing salt over their shoulder when they sneeze.

--

Hope that clears things up a little :D If anyone would like to adjust their traits with this information, just let me know and I'll recheck your sheet ^^

I'd say I have misgivings on the Fiasco approach mostly because it works best when everyone is there in person, since it needs some amount of input from everyone present or participating. On a forum, it could mean waiting on someone else to weigh in on things, which might slow stuff down a bit more than usual. It's a very interesting idea, however. Wait a sec, I don't think there is need for everyone in the RP to weigh in, just those in the scene or fight, is there? As it's basically one can either decide on their action, but the other participant(s) choose the outcome, OR choose the outcome, but the other participant(s) choose what the character actually did. Which is going to be a very interesting give and take overall. Would require a good bit of trust for everyone. Of course, since the end results depend not so much on any individual event but on other factors, it's probably fine. Fiasco amuses me because you don't really care about good or bad, you just want mostly one or the other.

I'd be fine with the more traditional combat approach, as the general reason I like rolling dice at all for fights is it provides that factor of uncertainty. It's more fun, not to mention a whole lot easier when it comes to conflict between player characters, when who does well is arbitrated by a random number generator. Though that's all probably because I'm very much used to tabletop games. I imagine it'd be a case of rolling dice to see how well one does, then describing one's actions to best reflect that.

So, let me see. my two cents are pretty much that either way, some form of conflict resolution is a good idea and usually good fun. I will say that, as far as handing out points or other goodies is concerned, as a GM, you want to reward what you find is important in the game. If the game is about exploration, mystery, and so-on, people might not get points and goodies for fighting, but would for finding clues or putting them together in an interesting way (and I should stress here that there need not be a"correct" way in mind). Best example I can see for this is the Numenera RPG, which has characters gain XP not from fighting, but from exploration and discovery. The rulebook even goes so far as to explicitly state the reasoning behind it was to incentivize what its creators wanted as the main focus of the game. I find it a really nice philosophy, which is why I have brought it up here. But now you know where I'm stealing it from.

I'd say both options are good, but work toward different goals. I'll have to think more on them, and encourage other opinions. I will say based on all this rambling, either way, I'd probably try to reward interesting scenes over winning fights.

• Love
I've never done an RP with a full dice-based combat system, so I think I'd be okay with whatever. :o

So, I'm trying to get my CS done and there are a lot of words, can anyone give me some coding pointers so that I can make a beautiful table with glorious tabs and keep everything nice and organized?

As promised, reserving a spot here for a male! Should be done quite soon tonight with the CS.

So, I'm trying to get my CS done and there are a lot of words, can anyone give me some coding pointers so that I can make a beautiful table with glorious tabs and keep everything nice and organized?
Accordions are quite nice in my opinion, if you'd like to use one just copy the code of what I put below shortly. To add extra slides in the accordion, just copy and paste the '{slide=Example 2|center}Put text here{/slide}' part of the coding, so long as it's before the '[/accordion]' it should be good. There are other, neater and better ways to do it, but I'm just giving out what little I know xD.

Example 1
Put text here
Example 2
Put text here

If you'd like a little more advice, check out this link ---> https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/help/bb-codes . It's full of all sorts of cool pointers and things you can do with BB codes; I'm not much of an expert myself.[/hr]

Speaking of Character Formating, if you guys have a colour in mind for your characters, let me know the #code as it will be useful to differentiate characters when it comes to Knowledge PMs :D

@Huntress I love the coloured fieldbox :D Like Jakers said, accordians work very well for character sheets, tabs are also a great option. Sliders and tabs are also great for the Trait/Abilities section :D

@R-9 Pilot
I'm SO happy someone else here knows Fiasco :DDD!!!! Also, I totally agree with the issue of the roleplaying slowing down, which would cause major problems with this approach and probably cause RP death. Like you said, rather then everyone in the whole roleplay being involved (which will be around 8 players, which you'd never get in a Fiasco game. Even for 6 Players you're supposed to split into two smaller games) it would at minimum only involve the people in the scene and me GMing. HOWEVER, people who were online at the time would be free to involve themselves in OOC or through PM if they were around (for deciding on outcomes/established scenes). It would go in rounds, with suggestions only being taken between GM posts. I think that'd be pretty fun because, if you wanted to, you could just pop by and make a suggestion, but there's no pressure if you're busy or don't have anything to contribute, because the minimum requirements would always be met :D

Also, while I've taken heavy inspiration from Fiasco, the system will probably end up a little differently to make it more forum appropriate, and also to fit the secretive nature of the RP.

I think the traditional approach would be great because it's a pretty straight-foreward system that most people are used to. My only worry is if it takes some of the mystique away from the items you own, or prevents people thinking creatively about them. But, I think this may be the most tried-and-true method of combat and everyone would be able to double-check the mechanics of fights, in case I make any math-based mistakes.

I agree that mystery should be the focus of the roleplay, and I want to encourage investigating and exploration more then fighting (although there will be situations when fights will happen) though I do want to support different playstyles. Plus, I don't want people farming points through fighting everyone and everything they meet, so perhaps I'll put some sort of limit on the amount of points you earn through fighting alot in one day (say... 100% on the first fight, 80% on the second, 60% on the third, then substantially less from there) I will definitely check out Numenera RPG (also holy shnoz the art is amazing ♦_♦) and someone suggested I check out Mansion of Madness rules as well, so I'll be looking into that :D

--

Right, so, I should have replied to all the current PMs, give me a poke if I've missed any. The Minimum character slots shall soon be filled (characters will still be accepted by those who have told me they are interested) and then I think I will only accept characters if they fill a minority role or if the character will fit nicely into the setup of the roleplay (some traits/abilities that no one else has, or if they would fit an organisation no one else is suited to being involved with)

After that, the Establishing Relationship and Knowledge PMs shall go out, sheets will be then be closed and relationships will be finalised :D I would like to get the conflict and fighting systems down pat before the roleplay starts, although conflicts probably won't happen in the first few posts :3

The waiting game begins :)

Unless someone has an amazing idea for a female supernatural they're dying to play, gonna close off Female Supernatural submissions as they currently make up 70% of the cast xD

Unless someone has an amazing idea for a female supernatural they're dying to play, gonna close off Female Supernatural submissions as they currently make up 70% of the cast xD
Well luckily I made a male supernatural lol. Sent you the pm^^.

Just realized that my char so far is the only supernatural guy, xD.

XD! You and Jakers are outnumbered upstairs :P Meanwhile, the first floor is a bachelor pad xD!

Also only one CS to go before the next phase begins~

Reactions: MadKingJai™
I know lol xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.