The Ambassadorial Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legatus drank some alcohol to calm her nerves. It wasn't' native to her world and she didn't like the taste but she saw a silver lining in that it didn't poison her. Her first two attempts at trying to get support for the war had failed. She needed to get some kind of support.

She nearly kicked herself as her attention turned to the hosts. If they had invited a representative of her species, then they might know of the war.

She casually approached the host and cleared her throat.

"Hello. My name is Sapientes Legatus." She introduced herself politely "I speak for the Curabitur. I was wondering if we could discuss diplomatic matters."

Karum held his alcohol well, and decided to knock the Genomian ambassador upside the head, "Shinya, Rikon get your ass together!" This instantly knocked sense into Rikon, but only after 30 seconds after the whack on the head did he come to. "Ok what was going on, Karum did you let me relax" He asked his bodyguard. Karum shook his head while holding his temples, "You did that on your own, I was the one who remembered to stay vigilant."

This was but one of the small arguments the two usually had when they were drinking. Though it only happened when Rikon was relaxed, Karum was somehow always near to get the right amount of "sense" knocked into him. "I am deeply sorry ambassadors. Forgive me it only happens when I relax my nerves." Rikon pulled himself together and looked at the Nulra, seeing that he was experiencing a traumatizing memory. He felt slightly bad for the being.

Seriously he is crying? She gave the alien a look before turning away at the awkward scene.
Looking over at the rest of the people. That small one with the host. The scans made her look at it amazed how did that species ever evolve to reach space. Must have been quite the peaceful planet and quadrant.
Then that woman from earlier stepped in the way. What was she so desperately looking for?

She leaned to the side trying to spot the small one again. But of course the movement of people blocked the view. No matter there was plenty of time for observation and talking.
Looking to her left she noted the Dehlgyr again. And took a few steps closer ignoring the saddened Nulra.
-"So still running from the fear? Or how long has it been now since you last saw it if you did in your generation Dehlgyr"

Tho'Nakr felt the vibrations of another guest speaking to him, making him focus his attention to this new one, who had quite a plesant voice...
He quickly linked with her, glowing happily.

"Greetings Legatus! As you probably know, I am Grand Ambassador Tho'Nakr'Haras Nae'Hoon of the Nae'Thran. I'm glad that you could come. And of course we can discuss politics. It's why we are here, no?" He asked cheerfully.

Bodjeks crying got the tall Dehlgyr a bit uncomfortable, crying for emotional reasons were not exactly general occurrences in his line of work. Not that he had anything against the action of crying as such, emotional release was a good thing, the problem was that he only knew how to act around soldiers crying from terror during their first encounter with the Fear *Get their attention and throw them out of the way... I dont think that approach would work wonders right now.* He was however a bit intrigued by the Nulras love-story with a human? He had had his own share of romance during various missions, he had been stranded on planets more than once, but the little guy seemed to have one seriously bittersweet memory.

Verain seemed to manage calming Bodjek down though, and it was apparently him the drunk human-like folks were talking with. Kyhalns decision on his next ambassador to speak with was swiftly made for him as the Raptir woman walked up to him, a mix of a joke and an insult in the greeting.

"You well know we wage war, Raptir. I was wiping pieces from my claws only days ago." Kyhaln smiled, the woman belonged to one of the few races that the Dehlgyr had a history with, a long history. Though he had not spoken much with them, more than a few times where they had acted as advisers and middle-men. He had however read records of what they could do, it interested him.

"And Im sure you know what would happen if they appeared near this galaxy... I am Kyhaln of true Fear, who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?" It was quite the sight as the tall Dehlgyr stood up to properly greet the Raptir woman, bowing slightly with the inside of his forearms and his hands open. Question was if she would give him the same amount of respect.

Last edited:
A hand on his shoulder drew Bodjek out of his misery for a moment. It was Verain, and he sounded sympathetic. Well, he sounded sympathetic for a sentence, at least, and then he asked about the technicalities of a precise memory wipe. The sudden change of subject didn't strike Bodjek as at all delicate, but he swallowed the urge to take fault with it. This wasn't about him. This was a diplomatic meeting. His self-pity was not wanted here.

"Well, I wasn't there, and I'm not a scientist, but I imagine they must've taken her...scanned and charted her brain state to find where I was, hooked up a neural interference matrix and loaded up the map, and...zapped all the neurons that encoded me." It hurt to say these things aloud; he knew full well that it was for the best that no one on Earth know of the Nulra's interference. But to know that his lover had forgotten him against her will was something else, something much more painful. Still, he couldn't really find fault with Verain's curiosity, so he gave the answer.

The tall human-looking people had entered the conversation by this point, apparently. Bodjek reluctantly turned to face them and put a polite smile back on his face. They're not humans. They've got nothing to do with her. Stop being melodramatic. He saw out of the corner of his eye that Kyhaln had been waylaid by someone, but he didn't think much of it.

Legatus straightened up and put her hands behind her back. Nae'Hoon's species was unlike anything she had encountered before, but the future of her people came first. She had to choose her next words carefully. She needed to present what a threat the Exen were but at the same time prevent her own species from coming across as weak. The first diplomat had been a kind fool, the other a selfish mercenary. She reassured herself that the third diplomat she spoke to would be different and sighed.

"There's no easy way to say this, Tho'Nakr'Haras." She spoke grimly "But if you invited a representative of my people here, then you may know of the war we're currently fighting."

"Ailya Te'shar though im not an ambassador merely a representative." The Raptir woman bowed courteously.
"And indeed you do wage war. From what i hear there is quite a set of problems around in this galaxy" She said gesturing her hand towards others in the room.
"So what rules do your people have integrating with the 'locals'? I my self am sadly quite restricted to small things and observations" She spoke letting a bit of the frustration show that she felt for being at this ball.
Unable to have a relaxed proper conversation to most or even look into business opportunities. Sometimes being part of an highly advanced civilisation really sucked since most economical or resource based issues had been solved since long.

Nagrorr, feeling ignored, walked away, hellbent on finding booze on his own. He stumbled into the ballroom, the presence of other aliens making him even more anxious. He needed something to numb him down. Nagrorr scanned the crowd, and saw a drink table. He took a deep breath in, and made his way towards it, gritting his teeth.

When Nagrorr finally made it over, he rubbed this thumb and middle finger together (a kra expression of anxiety), leaning in towards the table, examining the drinks. He cocked his neck, and quickly grabbed a random bottle.

"I hope you're going to pay for that!" said a small, reverberating voice, coming from behind the table. Nagrorr bit his tongue.

"My apologies." he said, handing the bottle back.

"Hmmm. If THAT was how they did it.....hmmmmmm....." Verain pondered it for a moment before snapping his fingers and grabbing both Bodjeks shoulders. "If we can find her again, my people can fix her memory!" Verain's people are made almost entirely of fibrous tissue, so the repair of damaged tissues is of no consequence to them, their technology in that area skyrocketed out of mere necessity.

Bodjek glanced back to Verain to find him thinking hard. It surprised him that the Fibrosian had shown such a sudden interest in this technology, but he supposed it was only fair that people in attendance of this conference might wish to consult other races to expand their own capabilities. He belatedly stuffed the last bite of the ice cream cone into his mouth as he thought about this. It might not have been a bad idea for him to consider trade options himself, to offer some insight into his people's neural interference schema in exchange for other bits and pieces of useful technology from others. He washed down the crumbs with another swig of wine—

Hands clamped onto both his shoulders at once. "Mmf!" he yelped (sort of, as his mouth was full) as Verain quite literally shook him from his thoughts. Surprise was easily readable on his face, surprise that Verain wanted not to acquire new technology, but to assist Bodjek personally. He would not have expected a high commander to be so personal and impulsive. He hurried to swallow and clear his mouth. "Sir, I truly appreciate your willingness to help, but I can't ask your people to assist me in breaking Nulra law again," he said, sounding astonished Verain had even suggested such a thing. "As much as it hurt to lose her, what my seniors did was right. We have those laws for a reason. Besides, even if this special case were forgivable, I'm sure she's middle-aged by now, if not elderly. Human lives are so short and passionate. I'm sure she has a mate and a family of her own... I can't just show up out of nowhere and expect to be welcome!"

The respectful bow got Kyhalns mood even better, some higher civilizations tended to be so stuck up. The Raptir also seemed annoyed at her being there as an representative, he was starting to like her more and more. Bodjek and Verains conversation was not something he needed to be part of as far as he understood, memory-sweeps and possibly reversals. Ailya was far too interesting to neglect his attention.

"It has its fair share of problems, though I must admit I quite enjoy it. We supposedly got here some odd thousands of years ago, the main-fleet is coursing around underneath. So until the Fear manage to break through we mostly resupply and grow I suppose. The fleet has gotten free roam as far as the 43 are concerned. Though we try to keep our reputation shallow. The work as a mercenary fleet is an excellent cover, and it fits us."
The Dehlgyr staightened, making some of his scars a bit more evident to show her what he meant. Ailyas race of the Raptirs were so technologically superior anything they had encountered as far as the records were concerned that the official approach to them was to pursue them for their help, as the red-skinned beings were adamant about keeping a low profile. Kyhaln had always wondered what it might be like, to hide most of your knowledge and courses of action fro others.

"
We do however have some rules, mostly to do with our tracking-devices and our hyper-drive technology. I think you get the reason? We are on the other hand allowed to live and integrate with other species. The 43 do not concerned themselves with the galaxy." The irritation could be heard clearly in his voice, the reason he had first left his family for the fleet was due to this ignorance and idiocy of not seeking to assimilate in the slightest.

Last edited:
"Ah... I suppose you are right. Forgive me, I just hate sad endings. My people have had too many. Though, it was mainly for the other side of wars we've been in... I got to planets we conquer...and all I fell is remorse for the women, children, and families we may have destroyed. That is why I had us adopt the self-defense policy. Now our empire only expands through trading for or living among other planets." Verain sat back down, grabbing his drink a sipping it a few times before finally drinking the whole of it.

Verain seemed to take Bodjek's points to heart. For a moment, though Bodjek wouldn't have admitted it, he was almost disappointed. There had been a tiny flicker of hope in his mind that Verain would be insistent, that they would truly set out to seek out Bodjek's old flame equipped with a memory-retrieval rig of some kind...

But that foolish hope flickered and died quickly, because Verain now spoke of something much more consequential than a single human woman. He spoke of one-sided wars, of conquered planets, of massacres. He spoke of remorse and a most noble effort to act on that remorse on an imperial scale. Bodjek dipped his head low. "It takes a strong heart and a strong will to do what you have done, Commander Verain," he said, his voice solemn. "You have my deepest respect." He straightened up from the bow and met the commander's gaze again. "I can only imagine how troubling it must have been when you realized you disagreed with your people's old ways...your father's ways, I suppose I should say, to be more precise. Ah...if that's not an uncomfortable topic..." He realized the implications of what he'd said a little late and put up one hand in apology. "Forgive me, sir. It's inappropriate for me to pry."

" It is okay, friend. I do not mind speaking of my father. He was a good man, he just grew knowing the wrong things. I was lucky enough to be placed at the front lines of battle. If you could call it luck. Because then I could see war for what it truly was, a slow and horrendous fight until ones resources were exhausted, until every flame of hope on one of the sides is shattered. Only then, can one win a war. I do not wish that upon anyone. My father never experienced it like I did, and he was dead long before I could tell him about it. So I cannot blame him for using it as a tool when we never seemed to experience much devastation from it. Our people never felt the taste of defeat, because we were either exterminating rebels, or easily conquering weaker planets. I only wish my father could have seen the true side of war. But, you may go ahead and ask any questions you wish." Verain ate the glass as he finished his drink, then ordering another. "Oh, and though I know you do not wish to have that woman's memory restored as of now. My friend, the offer, is always there."

Bodjek prided himself on being a good listener, and as he listened to Verain, his respect for the man grew even more. "Ah, no real questions from me," he said as the Fibrosian finished. "I do find your story moving. You have my sympathies... I've never seen battle, but I can imagine how jarring it must be to witness." Verain had reached the end of his drink, and without warning he crunched the glass in his mouth, causing Bodjek to twitch slightly in surprise and aversion. That was...odd, but he had no business judging.

Verain's next words caused him to pause. The commander seemed insistent on this offer of friendship. The Nulra looked away and drew in a breath through his teeth. "See, when you put it like that...I don't want to just go restore her memory, per se. I mean, yes, I do, but...that's selfish. That would only be for me." He tipped up his glass of wine to finish it off, and after he did, it took him another moment to keep speaking. "It's weird for this to suddenly start bothering me again today. It's been years. I've been through a girlfriend and an ex-wife since then." He laughed once, humorlessly. "But if we were to indulge this whim..." He seemed to take a moment to come to some sort of decision, after which he finally looked back at Verain. "It would have to be her choice. She would have to choose whether she wants to remember me or not. She might not want to. And for my peace of mind regarding Nulra law, I'd rather she swear to secrecy if she says yes." He set down the empty glass (this time he told himself he was really done) and nudged it away. "Those would be my caveats. And please, I don't want you to feel obligated to do this for me or anything. I'm touched and flattered enough by your offer as it is."

Nagrorr was now full of alcohol. If he was sober, he would have been glad he was wearing this suit. He may have grown up around other purple-fleshed beings without skin, but that still didn't make what alcohol did to your organs pretty. However, Nagrorr was not sober. He stumbled around the ballroom, lifting his glass to the gills on the suit. Nagrorr tripped, and began giggling like a moron. Nagrorr flashed his yellow-green eyes up. It was time to do business.

Nagrorr stumbled into an empty corner, and supported himself against the wall. Nagrorr might have been drunk, but he still had enough functional brain cells to make intelligent speech. He licked his teeth, and opened up a display on his arm, made a few configurations, and put down a device, which projected blue text into the space above him.

MELDRANIAN LAND ON MARKET

Real estate. Yeah, that seemed like a good idea. Nagrorr took another drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Of course friend. I do see your point, it would have to be her choice, yes. Say, what do you think of this. We send you, and a few select operatives of mine, known for their stealthy capabilities. We temporarily speak to the girl, just to ask her. If she decides she wishes to remember you, then that is great. If not, we can simply erase her memory that the incident ever happened. It will at least give her and yourself a chance. I am not one to abandon the hearts of others. Even if it would seem selfish, is not all love? When a man marries a female, does he not steal away all hope of other males ever loving or marrying her? Do people call such a man selfish? Of course not. Even before marriage, love is selfish by nature. No one can blame for such things. Do believe me, I have seen too many grow old and full of regret because they did not follow their heart." Now his new drink arrived, this time, a special brew from his home. One he enjoyed greatly, as it was not quite as alcoholic, but very relaxing to the body and mind. A form of cocktail composed of the different extracts from special plants. Each on had relaxing chemicals that as they reached the muscles would cause tenseness to seemingly melt away. When the brews affects reached the brain via the blood, it would slow down activity so it is not as fast, but much more reliable and strong.

"Maybe they should this universe is at the moment within Raptir territory. And we hold interest in the Fear to. Current orders stand to try and capture for research or observe for as much intel as possible. Since apparently the last time Raptir encountered them they had to deploy several singularities destroying two universes before finally chasing them away. They interefered in a very important battle forcing our leaders hand to bring fourth such destructive power." She shook her head.
While Kyhalns scars where indeed impresive Ailya didn't think that much of war att all it was a messy buisness and rarely in the past hundred thousand years did they have lost battles on record inside a universe. Outside however was another story.

"It must be quite nice though to be able to atleast move around freely and offer your services. Whilst for me i risk getting warped from this room if start talking to freely to the other ones around us"

"I know of your war, yes, Legatus. Sadly, that is the extent of my knowledge. I do no know your enemy. I do not know his forces. I do not know your forces. I have only heard statistics of loss and winnings of territory. I can only assume you accepted our invitation to find allies. And without knowing more, that is not a something I can currently provide." He linked with a serious glow.

"Though if you were to share what information you have on your and your enemies, I am far more likely to be able to say if my people can offer their help or not. An entire race who has reached space dying out would not be a positive thing, after all. Yet I hope you understand one simple thing: Our planet is, as far as we know, unique. Without it, we cannot live. And thus, we will not endanger it in any way. And yes, we will consider our own planet more important than your entire race." He paused slightly. "But if we find the risk to be minimal, then we will be happy to assist you."

Reactions: Some_Bloke
Status
Not open for further replies.