The Ambassadorial Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oh please, call me Commander, I find the title of Emperor too pompous and makes one seem a fat arrogant and knowing nothing outside the luxury life. I stand as the leader of both our empire, and as the head of our military. An Order hmmm interesting." Verin sat back, relxing his muscles as he sipped his drink.

((Ehh, sure, I'll add a color.))

Zelx turned out to be the one to answer Bodjek first, and to his surprise, the Savaant spoke in a reserved, thorough, and (in Bodjek's humble opinion) very wise manner. The creature professed that Bodjek's question was not so easily answered, and while he had been hoping for clearer opinions, just to give him a feeling of finality, it was also strangely comforting to hear someone say that it was a contested matter. He didn't feel foolish for having a minority opinion anymore. Kyhaln then added his own opinion to the mix, still sounding like he leaned more on the side of preemptive aggression. Hmm. But after saying something about "Fear" that Bodjek didn't quite catch, he did also seem to agree that it wasn't a simple answer. Bodjek nodded in respectful thanks to each of them in turn. "I believe both of you speak reason, friends. Perhaps it is foolish of me to worry about the matter quite so much right now. I certainly want to seek council with my colleagues on Klaress before making any major decisions on my people's behalf... We'll have a lot to talk about, for sure."

He sipped idly at the bluish-tinted wine in his hand while the others continued to speak. Zelx seemed curious about everyone's purpose at the ball, and while Verain professed to be interested in forging alliances of friendship and trade, Kyhaln spoke of alliances in military terms. Bodjek silently wondered if this war that Kyhaln's folk seemed to be fighting was against these "Fear" enemies he had mentioned briefly. More concerning was the thought that Kyhaln almost sounded like he was looking for more battles...and, come to think of it, how quickly he'd been downing drinks in the past few minutes. Bodjek no longer cared to conceal his discomfort at the mental image of sloshing down that much alcohol in so short a time. I guess he does have much more body mass to dilute the effect, but... Anyway, Kyhaln's talk about the way his species' society was ruled interested him. It sounded like Kyhaln himself was a sort of war hero who had lived through more battles than most, and the knowledge of that did give some insight into why he didn't shy from war.

What caused Bodjek to flinch and inject himself back into the conversation, however, was what Verain said next. "Ah, I think that was my fault," he said. "Sorry about that. It seemed more respectful to introduce you that way. But sure, Commander Verain it is." Another sip. "As for me, it's mostly curiosity. A chance to meet so many different creatures...sure, alliances would be great, but I know I'm not the best at negotiations. I didn't really want to be the one sent here to represent my race, to be totally honest. Didn't trust myself. Seeing so many other races, though...when I thought about it that way, it sounded a lot more enticing. Heh."

He found himself taking the last remaining sip from his wine glass and then staring down into the empty vessel in confusion. His consumption speed wasn't anywhere near Kyhaln's, but he was still surprised that he'd made it through two glasses so quickly without realizing it. He rarely had more than a single drink per day if even that, usually with dinner. He glanced back at Kyhaln, weighing his options.

Well, it IS free...

It was a reckless whim. He knew that. But hey, this was a special occasion, and he imagined that Kyhaln was bound to be the one to make a fool of himself earlier at this rate. The Dehlgyr had already started to sound a little hazy. He slid his empty glass back across the bar, paying it no more heed, and craned his neck to eye Kyhaln's drink. "What've you been working on over there?" He admittedly was a bit curious.

• Love
Reactions: Windstormugly
The Nulra seemed to have relaxed slightly, and gotten more and more concerned for Kyhalns well-being, if he hadnt lost all competence in reading people, he did always win over his troops at cards. *Im not suddenly going to drop dead if that is what you are waiting for, hehe, but that Hexn did settle properly.* He turned towards Bodjek as the anxious little guy explained why he was here. The reason did not surprise him, but after only two glasses of... wine? The Nulra seemed to gain in confidence, or maybe just recklessness. Asking what the tall Dehlgyr was drinking.

"This little drink Bodjek? Its supposed to be something we in the Dehlgyr fleet call "liquid fear", though I think that the center-ingredient is not actually present in this drink. It is made of 60% alcohol distilled from a medical plant, the "Brehlm-leaf", two spoons of a narcotic powder videly known as "Fairies dust", and a drop of casual poison from the Fear... want a taste?" Kyhaln had a huge smile on his face when he asked, almost wide enough to see his spike-like teeth. He put the glass down by the Nulra and waited for him to either have a taste, or politely decline. The latter was probably the wise choise, at least if he took more than a sip of it. *Maybe I should have mentioned that the new recruits among my troops have a contest to see who can drink most shots of liquid fear?* The tall man beckoned the bartender and asked for high quality soft ice-cream, it was strangely enough a usable treat to help with the drink. Something to do with the strain of sugar inside it. And the race who created it hadnt even gone into space yet!

Tho'Nakr glowed with a slightly brighter purple for a few moments, before he signaled for one of the other crystals to bring a small device over. Tho'Nakr took the small crystal with his psychic force, and held it in front of Nagrorr, giving him one last telepathic message before he broke the link.

"Put this in the organ which you use to hear sounds. It will create small vibrations, or sounds, representing my messages through what you call spoken words. As you see, I lack any means of speaking naturally."

With that, he waited for him to do so, so he could link with the small crystal instead, to continue speaking.

Tani Raan looked at the hovering creature, glowing a somewhat welcoming shade of what she assumed was purple (her vision sometimes blurred colors together). She ducked her head, in the formal greeting of the Prisik. She opened her mouth, unsure how to respond. "Thank you, sir." she said finally, haltingly, and keeping her head bowed. She was unsure if his rank and her own were the same, or if he would be considered of a higher one, as the host of the gathering. She lifted her head after what seemed like quite some time, and glanced to her sides, wondering if the voice in her mind was that of the host.

Tho'Nakr shifted his attention towards the other new arrival for a moment, keeping his link with her and the crystal he'd just given to the other one. "Please, come along into the main hall. There should be plenty of foods and drinks that should be of a pleasurable taste for you in there. Not to mention the ambassadors that have already arrived. Please, mingle, speak among one another. Do what you came here to do. We enjoy the vibrations of your voices, and I'm sure we will enjoy your company, as well as the results of this summit!" He linked cheerfully, before hovering towards the hall once more.

Legatus thought deeply about the next words she could say. Xharth's offer was tempting but she wanted to know if she could trust him. He seemed agar to lend a hand, but buying entire armies wouldn't work in the war. She didn't want her people to be in dept to several species.

"I need to consult the council on your offers." Legatus stated "Shall we exchange contact details?"

Xharoth slowly rose to his feet again, taking another deep drag of the thick stick between his teeth. "Just press one of the buttons on that thing, and it'll contact another just like it that I or one of my officers have." He stated simply, pointing his cigar at the little device still on the table, displaying a hologram of what he had to offer.

"I'd recommend that you don't hesitate for too long. I just arrived at the ball here, and I might find others interested in what I provide as well. Unless you pay a fee to keep me from taking other jobs, that is..." He chuckled, as he started stepping towards the door again, puffing smoke as he passed Legatus.

Reactions: Some_Bloke
Legatus was insulted by his remark at other interests but quickly brushed it off. The mention of the others sparked both her curiosity and hope. She'd only spoken to two of the other guests so-far. One she saw as a foolish yet kind being who believed that there could be peace. The second had only been interested in money. As long as the Curabitur kept his army paid, he would fight alongside them in the war.

She sighed, placing her head in one hand for several moments before leaving the room.

"I take that as a no then." Xharoth chuckled, before he too left the room, heading back towards the main ball room with a smile on his face. This could become even more profitable than he had first hoped.

As he returned to the hall, he saw that a rather large group had gathered at the bar. No better place for someone to make a rash, unnecessary purchase of troops. And he could even get a drink while he was there! He approached the bar, a bit to the side of those already there, and leaned forwards, ordering what most would hardly think of using as fuel for their vehicles, and a ash-tray.

As Zelx listened to the others It felt something gnawing within his mind, the Hive Mind was starting to lose contact with the lost fleet and in a attempt to gain information It had been given direct memories from the space faring bio-structure. These memories involved locations, the planets it had seen around said locations and some strange ships to. Zelx shaked It's head slightly before standing up from It's seat, the sudden rush in psychic energy It had felt made Zelx want to move It limbs. "If you may excuse me i shall take a look around the ball, i do hope to get the chance to speak with you all later on." It bowed infront of the other ambassadors, and while Zelx walked away from the bar It gave a reptile looking species a short nod. Now then, who would It be able to speak with? After all not everyone would desire to speak towards a species who looked so vastly different from the rest.

But Zelx would not let anything get It depressed, after all the ball had not been going on for long at all.

Nagrorr pushed his shoulders back (the equivalent of a shrug), and undid his jumpsuit, exposing his purple innards to the world. Nagrorr then lodged the crystal into a hole in one sponge-like bulb, two of which rested on both sides of his head, finalizing his actions by resealing the suit, and purging it of any foreign entities. Nagrorr followed after Tho'Nakr as they went ahead.

Nagrorr scanned the hall quickly, his shoulders rustling. He was becoming anxious with all of these critters around. He twisted his head at an angle towards Tho'Nakr.

"Where may I acquire alcohol?"

Well then seems like there where gruesome talks at the bar of wars and threats to the existence of a species or two. Quite dark conversations Ailya shook her head and stood. Walking away from the bar the Raptir woman nodded towards the pequliar being that noted her presence before moving on his way. She followed it with her eyes for a moment studying it before looking away. It wasn't easy attending an Ambassadorial ball where there wasn't really anything to gain for ones people. Except perhaps some interesting gossip about the latest events of the galaxy. Good thing a rare few knew how far ahead her species was compared to the rest here. Goodness she would probably be swarmed otherwhise.

By Ambassadors trying to barter a good deal for themselfs. And she wouldn't get a moment to herself at all. Perhaps she should just leave an observational drone and head back to her quarters for now since this would most likely go on for hours. Though heading towards the personal quarters at this moment would probably get her stuck in conversations with all the people in the way. They seemed quite talkative and happy to catch any poor by passer in it.
-"why did it have to be me that was sent to this Murdok is way better at these kind of things" She muttered and crossed her arms.

Rikon was listening to these conversations, not really wanting to partake in any of them at the moment. He took a shot of On the Brink, "Ahh, that is most tasty. On the Brink is somewhat difficult to swallow, wouldn't you say so Karum?" Being a slight alcoholic as he is, even the shot of the drink troubled him slightly. Karum was a little bit stronger than Rikon when it came to alcohol, but it still itched his throat. "You could say that Rikon, " He replied back.

The duo still listened to the others conversation, then something came into Rikon's mind, as the shot of alcohol he had was confusing him slightly. This didn't happen often, but on occasion he could get easily drunk. This only happened when he had relaxed his nerves, and boy was he relaxed. Then he looked at the other ambassadors, seeing his Fibrosian friend Verain nearby. "So what are we going to speak of next everyone. I think we should speak of our drinks and food, the coming of beings was usually done by having large feasts" Rikon said aloud to the group.

One-twenty proof alcohol laced with a mystery narcotic powder and some sort of animal venom? Feeling suddenly squeamish, Bodjek nudged the glass back across the table. "Oooon second thought..." he said with a nervous smile, trusting Kyhaln could mentally finish the sentence. He wasn't feeling quite that reckless.

Zelx waved them a goodbye then, and Bodjek nodded to the being as it left. "It's been a pleasure," he said. "See you around." He noticed that the Savaant passed by another being further down the bar that Bodjek immediately recognized. The Xyrian mercenary. His lip curled before he could help it. He promptly scolded himself for the negative reaction and looked away, trying not to meet Xharth's eyes. He'd come to respect Verain and Kyhaln, military men, and he told himself it was immature to hold onto a grudge against Xharth for his being one. And yet a part of him clung to the notion that there was something significantly nastier about selling one's army than being proactive about one's own defensive lines. He would rather not have spoken to that mercenary again if he could help it.

When he turned back to the bar, though, his eyes landed on an entirely unexpected sight. The bartender had just returned to Kyhaln with a food item that Bodjek recognized immediately: a soft swirl of vanilla ice cream in a cone. His gut twisted. Was he really seeing this? Was he really seeing something from Earth?

He saw her. He saw his first love, a love most forbidden. He remembered the time they'd gone to a street fair, and he'd had to fold his tail in so no unknowing humans would step on it. He didn't like being in such cramped spaces. But it was a date he wouldn't have turned down for the world. He remembered clearly the two ice cream cones she'd purchased from a vendor. One was given to him. He had raised his hand to the height of his hologram's hand to take the item and then lowered his head to the height of his hologram's head to eat. It was sweet and smooth. And then she had tipped forward, catching his vanilla-slicked lips with her own. Truly it had been beyond fortunate that he had been there to prevent her head from falling right through the hologram, but his mind had been frozen in time, aware of nothing but their contact, true bodily contact for the first time. He'd never felt that soft feeling against his own lips before. That had been a few weeks before he had given in and revealed his true form to her because he couldn't bear pretending anymore. But a first kiss was still a first kiss.

It took a new voice speaking up from nearby for the trance to break. Bodjek realized that he'd been staring vacantly at Kyhaln's ice cream cone. He looked away quickly and set his gaze on the source of the new voice. The sight made him balk in disbelief. Humans. Or...no. They were too tall, much closer to Ryhaln's height than his own. But damn, did they look close otherwise. He grimaced and looked away from the trio, eyes seeking the bartender with every intent of stalling by asking for a third glass of that frostberry wine. Fate, you really are a cruel mistress...

Kyhaln laughed kindly at Bodjeks refusal, *smart decision there.* though now he had the issue of what to use the ice-cream for. Zelx leave got friendly nod from the tall Dehlgyr and he made a quick sweep across the room for any other interesting ambassadors. Contrary to the Nulra, the Xyrian mercenary was someone that Kyhaln actually wanted to talk to. Both races known for hiring themselves out for others wars.
The drunk human-looking fellows that suddenly addressed him and the remaining two got a angled look from him, *first ones who couldnt hold their liquor eh?*. Turning back towards the Nulra he came across an interesting sight. Bodjek was starting on his third glass of wine, and he was sure that the Nulra had stared transfixed at the ice-cream earlier.

"Bodjek, would you care to eat the dessert anyways? I have never been much for sweet stuff, I prefer spicy things hehe." He smiled at his peace-loving friend as he put the cone in front of him. Himself reachinf for the new glass of liquid fear and downing it. Next ambassadors on the list were the Xyrian... and the Raptir.

Bodjek had just taken a sip of the fresh glass of wine when Kyhaln's voice caused him to turn. His face expanded in surprise when he realized the Dehlgyr was offering him the ice cream. He set the wine glass down. "Oh! I, ah, didn't mean to make you think I wanted any. Just reminded me of my Earth immersion, that's all. Years ago." His instinctual reaction was to politely decline the dessert, but Kyhaln had said he wasn't interested, and since all the food and drinks here were free for attendees, he reasoned Kyhaln wasn't really losing anything. More importantly, it would be rude to turn down his offer and let the food sit there unwanted. He timidly slid the flat-bottomed cone towards him for a short distance before he picked it up. "If you're sure you don't want it...then I'm happy to take it. Thank you." He lifted the treat, the sick knot in his belly pulling even tighter, and licked it slowly.

His mind was roiling in memories. Every lick he took of that ice cream took an excruciatingly long time, with even more stalling time in between them, because he had to fight his way through his mental images that brought tight heat up to swim in his throat. He didn't want to remember these things, but at the same time he did. Every once in a while he would set the cone down and switch back to the wine for a sip of two before switching back. It was an ordeal. This ice cream was unpleasant to eat. Not because it tasted bad, no, quite the opposite. It was delectable. It tasted of nostalgia, a longing that gripped his heart in a fist and wrenched it sideways. He wasn't fully aware that water had begun to pool in the corners of his eyes. A subtle humming sensation from the wine had begun to make itself known in the back of his head.

Verain saw Bodjek's mental aura make the equivalent of a nuclear explosion at the sight of the Ice cream. He almost jumped at the sight. He then heard him mention an Earth Immersion. "Bad memories on Earth? Or perhaps... the opposite?" Verain knew an emotional uprise like that could only be of despair.... or of... love.

Bodjek twitched when Verain spoke. Apparently he had been too readable. His grip on the cone tightened for a moment before he sighed and turned his head towards the Fibrosian to answer. "Both," he said truthfully. "My first immersion... Well, first immersions are a kind of coming-of-age thing in my culture. It's most youths' first time using our projectors for a prolonged period." He made a vague gesture towards the back of his neck, where his own projector was implanted. "Some kids do their immersion with a species like yours that knows us and knows about the projector, but other kids visit a planetbound species, meaning they have to keep their identity secret." He swung his head back to look at the last bite of his cone. "Unfortunately, I was one of the latter, and I was terrible at it. I committed the one big mistake." His hand tightened around the cone; a faint, sporadic crunching noise could be heard as he began to crush it unawares. "I knew I would get in trouble. I knew that all along. But I couldn't back out...and if I could do it over again, I..." The tears began to leak down the sides of his face. Some part of him could tell the hum from the wine was making him feel all loose like this, but he didn't care enough to rein it in. "They came for me after I didn't return to Klaress on schedule. And they wiped me from her memory." His voice was a higher pitch by now, audibly laced with tears. He dipped his head and pressed the fingers of one hand to his temples, and after a second, he shook with a sob, and then another.

Verain looked at Bodjek, and felt compassion for him. He puts his hand on his shoulder. "It's okay friend, so a memory wipe hmm? I know this isn't necessarily on topic... but what kind of technology did they use to wipe her memory?" Verain had an idea, but he needed to know this information first.

He then noticed Rikon suddenly speaking to the group. "Ah, hello again friend." Something was different though. Oh, of course, he was drunk. "Well there is plenty here, I am sure there would be much to talk about."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.