The AI Project (OOC/Sign ups) ONE OPENING

Do you think allowing additional characters per player is a good idea?

• Yes! Unlimited!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes! Up it to 4 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes! Up it to 3 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Nah, leave it as is

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Only if we can't get enough AI candidates

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • You should select certain people to be able to have multiple characters (based on activity)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other (I have started my opinion below)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@R-9 Pilot
This is a shot in the dark, but... You said the AIs still available aren't jumping out at you, and if by some chance Amethyst does, I'd be happy to trade with you. I can pick someone else.

@R-9 Pilot
This is a shot in the dark, but... You said the AIs still available aren't jumping out at you, and if by some chance Amethyst does, I'd be happy to trade with you. I can pick someone else.
Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. But, it's cool. I think my approach for AI stuff will be that even if I'm not sure which to pick up as a partner, I might still give a reason fro project selection with a character and leave them open to be assigned one, rather than picking one myself.

It might lead to an interesting dynamic or situation that way. I'm actually a little fuzzy on how the whole human/AI dynamic will end up working, to be honest. Though the answer may be that it's up to each person how it plays out.

Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. But, it's cool. I think my approach for AI stuff will be that even if I'm not sure which to pick up as a partner, I might still give a reason fro project selection with a character and leave them open to be assigned one, rather than picking one myself.

It might lead to an interesting dynamic or situation that way. I'm actually a little fuzzy on how the whole human/AI dynamic will end up working, to be honest. Though the answer may be that it's up to each person how it plays out.
Fair enough. Hope you have fun and find something that works for ya. :)

If you do have any questions about the dynamic, do ask. We can at least tell you the anticipated outcome :P

@R-9 Pilot
The AI-human dynamic would not work in a forum-based RP. You need paragraphs of actions, descriptions, and dialogue, something a non-physical entity cannot quite do. You may be able to write two paragraphs on how the AI perceives what their host sees and does and thinks, but they can only really share dialogue with their host. In a ChaRP it could work very well - there's constant interaction, things to reply to, etc. As is your posts would be short comments on how the AI perceives what is already going on - a great supporting character or idea, but on its own could not be your only character.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: R-9 Pilot
I'd meant the dynamic between a project candidate and his or her hosted AI, earlier. I'm not sure how that dynamic will go, although that may be because I'm not sure why AIs are being put into people. Are they sort of continual assistants to help do things like check up on data or fill in for missing skills? Or something else?

And if there's no assumption of things like an omnipresent wireless world of advanced internet and such, yeah, an AI on its own can't do much, even if it had a few robots to pilot around. Hard to have a big presence as data if you only "exist" for one other person. In the right setting, though, it can work out pretty well, although it would require a lot of interacting solely with the virtual side of the world. Good news is other than playing some of that stuff up, there's nothing I can't do with a human being that I could with an AI with the same personality, etc.

Oh, I misunderstood your question entirely, my bad for the rant xD

LET THAT BE A WARNING FOR OTHERS WHO MAY WANT TO BE AN AI! *Spooky organ plays*

I'd meant the dynamic between a project candidate and his or her hosted AI, earlier. I'm not sure how that dynamic will go, although that may be because I'm not sure why AIs are being put into people. Are they sort of continual assistants to help do things like check up on data or fill in for missing skills? Or something else?

And if there's no assumption of things like an omnipresent wireless world of advanced internet and such, yeah, an AI on its own can't do much, even if it had a few robots to pilot around. Hard to have a big presence as data if you only "exist" for one other person. In the right setting, though, it can work out pretty well, although it would require a lot of interacting solely with the virtual side of the world. Good news is other than playing some of that stuff up, there's nothing I can't do with a human being that I could with an AI with the same personality, etc.
The AI are being put together with humans in an attempt to, in a way, create a bond between human and AI that gives humans an advantage in war. Be it having access to instant information, or having a companion that can hack into systems, or security cameras, or enemy tech for you, or if the AI has certain abilities (has yet to be discussed, but in scifi, the extent of what AI and mechanical or technical forces knows no bounds), it would be a benefit to humans. The idea of the Project is to find out what benefits they can reap from it; leaving the actual benefits up to the players to create. Think RvB for example (only example I can think of). The AI there could create those dome shields around their host, or perhaps add additional shielding to armor, repair armor, analyze a soldiers health; you have an HUD for all that, but you'd be able to further focus on the battlefield if an AI did it for you. The AI could tell you of enemy forces nearby, help with stealth missions, etc. Maybe the AI can be programmed to use EMP's of a sort, I dunno. It's up for imagination.

In general, each AI candidate is really only a test subject for experimentation to see what the AI can actually do; but that doesn't mean the candidates have to stay with the project. A criminal could get in, get their AI implanted, and run. That's the fun part. After basics, it's up to each player to run off and do whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean their AI will be the best equipped- others who stay might undergo testing that greatly improves their AI, providing some of these 'mysterious' abilities- but they can still do it.

What she said o_o

The AI are being put together with humans in an attempt to, in a way, create a bond between human and AI that gives humans an advantage in war. Be it having access to instant information, or having a companion that can hack into systems, or security cameras, or enemy tech for you, or if the AI has certain abilities (has yet to be discussed, but in scifi, the extent of what AI and mechanical or technical forces knows no bounds), it would be a benefit to humans. The idea of the Project is to find out what benefits they can reap from it; leaving the actual benefits up to the players to create. Think RvB for example (only example I can think of). The AI there could create those dome shields around their host, or perhaps add additional shielding to armor, repair armor, analyze a soldiers health; you have an HUD for all that, but you'd be able to further focus on the battlefield if an AI did it for you. The AI could tell you of enemy forces nearby, help with stealth missions, etc. Maybe the AI can be programmed to use EMP's of a sort, I dunno. It's up for imagination.

In general, each AI candidate is really only a test subject for experimentation to see what the AI can actually do; but that doesn't mean the candidates have to stay with the project. A criminal could get in, get their AI implanted, and run. That's the fun part. After basics, it's up to each player to run off and do whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean their AI will be the best equipped- others who stay might undergo testing that greatly improves their AI, providing some of these 'mysterious' abilities- but they can still do it.
This is actually really helpful for me as well, so thank you. I have a much better idea now of the general premise and expected direction of the story. Definitely looking forward to this.

Reactions: Rainjay
This is actually really helpful for me as well, so thank you. I have a much better idea now of the general premise and expected direction of the story. Definitely looking forward to this.
I'm glad it helped. I'll work on a way to incorporate in the first post for clarity for others as well, then. ^^

First draft of CS up now. Let me know what you think! Art may be added at a later date if I can find what I'm looking for.

[dash=#BE81F7]Name: Elric Lunaripher
Home planet: Earth
Home system: The Solar System

Appearance:
He stands at a tall 6'1" and has always been lean, though only in the most recent years of his life has he reached the unusually low weight that he carries now. He has pale skin. His sandy hair is shaggy and perpetually unkempt, and though he doesn't naturally grow much facial hair, it's obvious that he treats shaving like something only to be done for special occasions. A number of women over the years have noted that he has a baby face. His boyish jaw, vulnerable gray-blue eyes, and other facial features seem to be conspiring to make him look younger than he really is, but weary age lines and a select few gray hairs coming in too soon counter that work and then some. He almost always looks tired. A typical outfit for him is a slightly rumpled button-up shirt with slacks or high-quality jeans, a belt, and work shoes. His favorite outerwear is a lightweight gray longcoat, and while he'll leave the front open should he get warm, it takes a lot to get him so hot that he elects to remove it completely.
Distinguishing features:
His feet and ankles are actually cybernetic replacements, along with his left leg about a third of the way up his shin and his right leg all the way up to mid-thigh, but neither modification is normally visible to people; only close friends know he's an amputee.

Personality:
He is introverted and doesn't have that great of a sense of humor, but he's courteous and good-natured. When a task or project catches his attention, he becomes very self-motivated, not suited to be a leader but determined to tackle the job himself as long as he can. He's always been able to breeze through classes and is largely self-taught beyond his formal study. He's a peacemaker who hates feeling like an obstacle and typically shies away from confrontation, but he's prone to making unintentionally passive-aggressive comments when bothered by something but struggling to remain altruistic, and if just the right (or wrong, rather) thing gets under his skin, he will snap, and snap hard.
Talents/Skills:
He's got the book smarts. Hand him a textbook and a two-week vacation, and when it's done he'll ace the final exam of the class it came from. Or at least snag a B+. Success is more likely in a scientific or mathematical subject.

History:
Like his AI's human base, Anastasia Kahler, Elric grew up on Earth with few worries. As an only child, his intelligence blossomed under his parents' watchful eyes and loving care, and while he eventually developed a hearty interest in video gaming, he always seemed to prefer family-friendly titles to gritty ones, although the boundary between the two blurred somewhat as he matured. After winning a few mathematics and physics awards in high school, he attended university with the aid of a hefty scholarship, eager to absorb what knowledge he could, though he knew from the get-go that he had one dream he would prefer to chase if he could: a foot in the door of the booming Virtual Reality industry. His dreams came true when he weaseled his way into an indie game development company.
That was when he met Julie Annison. Convinced to step in as a voice actress for the company's first shot at fame, she met Elric at the studio a few months after he was hired, and sparks quickly started flying. They got along splendidly despite Elric's initial shyness, reveling in their common interests and doing their best to see their differences as boons. Come three years later, the couple was newly married, but it was only a little over a year afterwards that Julie gave birth to their first child three weeks prematurely while suffering from an illness. She did not survive the delivery.
Heartbroken but determined to keep his chin up for the newborn girl's sake, Elric raised his daughter, whom he named Madeleine as he and Julie had agreed, as a single father after switching from a full-time employee to a contractor who could work from home. Despite the obstacles they faced, Elric's natural sensitivity made him a good father, and the two were happy. Taking his daughter on a train trip across the country when she was four, however, was either a bad idea to begin with or a stroke of terrible luck: in an incident that would appear across the news and soon enough go down in history, their train was intercepted by a pair of hovercrafts trying to beat the train across a level crossing. The first hit the engine and the second smashed into the second passenger car. There were at least sixty casualties of varying severity, and while Elric survived with leg replacements, young Madeleine was not so fortunate.
In the three years since the accident, he has withdrawn from the world, keeping his contract work with the company he started with but devoting every free minute he can squeeze out of his day to personal programming projects. It might seem a paradox that his work ethic has gotten stronger after such a blow to his livelihood, but perhaps he was desperate to give his life new meaning. His personal tastes in projects led him to humanlike AI development of the same ilk as the AI Project, though he didn't know it, and he eagerly devoured all he could on the topic, including Marianne Favero's papers. His AI work is the ad hoc work of a lone programmer who pieces together whatever existing knowledge he can scour from the Internet with his own poorly organized and uncommented code. Lacking access to the ability to flash clone a working human brain as a starting point, he's been left to work entirely from scratch, so his understanding of the simulation of human brain-like processing is very high but unorthodox.

Reason Picked:
Aside from being intelligent and unfailingly studious, good qualities in themselves and a decent 78% match for Amethyst, he was noted for his own independent AI work. His main purpose as a test subject in the project is to see if someone with his knowledge of humanlike AI and how it works would lead to him refining his own AI more quickly than others could.[/dash]

[dash=#BE81F7]AI name: Amethyst
AI personality:
Her primary trait is her thirst for knowledge. Amethyst will happily soak up whatever new topic her whim deems interesting, mostly just for the satisfaction of knowing it. The usefulness of the information, if any, is a nice side effect. She can spend a very long time reading about a topic if not bothered, but she has a heart too, and if something strikes her as amiss, she will drop what she's doing and reveal her nurturing side. Although more on the introverted side of center, she's personable and seems to value friendship. However, when something she values strongly is questioned, such as the value of the AI Project, the importance of a topic she has studied, or the dignity or well-being of a friend, she can and will verbally tear the offender a new one. She has retained the vast majority of the knowledge that Anastasia Kahler possessed at the time of her creation, but her specialty in quantum physics has fallen by the wayside in favor of entertaining curiosity about whatever new thing she learns about. Her partnership with Elric has kindled a particular interest in programming languages and software development.
AI appearance:
Her skin is pale, her hair long, straight, and silvery lavender in color, and her eyes brilliant violet. She keeps her hair swept back in a large black clip at the back of her head and wears thin rimmed glasses. Her preferred outfit is a butter-yellow blouse over black slacks and semi-formal work shoes, though she may change it on occasion. She always wears a lab coat and frequently likes to appear carrying a book or clipboard for effect. She smiles more readily than Elric does.
AI skills:
  • Extensive knowledge of several areas of physics
  • Beginner's knowledge of programming
  • Excellent processing of math and physics problems
[/dash]
Are you gonna be adding more to it or ? The history was very sad D: But it made the character more real. I have a feeling he and Alice might get along (programmer plus VR video game developer? Conversation won't die with that xD)!

Are you gonna be adding more to it or ? The history was very sad D: But it made the character more real. I have a feeling he and Alice might get along (programmer plus VR video game developer? Conversation won't die with that xD)!
I tweaked a couple of things and am going to call it complete now. Unless I can find good art, of course, but don't count on that happening before the RP starts. If it's all right to amend this CS with art later, I'll do that and let people know of the update.

I tweaked a couple of things and am going to call it complete now. Unless I can find good art, of course, but don't count on that happening before the RP starts. If it's all right to amend this CS with art later, I'll do that and let people know of the update.
That would be totally okay. Accepted!

@Soulserenity20
Aries
Taurus (TAKEN) - Cheesecake (Garfield Amadeus)
Agate (TAKEN) - J_"Kraken" (Savannah Chapman)
Pearl (TAKEN) - RayChel (Bao Qin)
Leo
Sapphire (TAKEN) - Rainjay (Alice Davern)
Libra
Topaz (RESERVED) - Rekona
Sagittarius
Garnet
Amethyst (TAKEN) - FiliaFlammae (Elric Lunaripher)
Pisces (RESERVED) - 175maddie
Here's the list of current AIs being used. You can, of course, make a non-candidate AI character so long as they have a reason to be related to the overall project.

• Thank You
Reactions: Soulserenity20
If that's the one you want, I can reserve it the forum will be edited to show the reservation.

As much as I'd LIKE to reserve it, I really need to understand the RP better first I think. I don't want to take a spot from another potential player until I'm 100% sure I understand everything and that I'll be able to be be active enough as this seems like a large scale RP and I know full well how easy it is become overwhelmed. I really don't want to hold it back at all XD

Status
Not open for further replies.