The AI Project (OOC/Sign ups) ONE OPENING

Do you think allowing additional characters per player is a good idea?

• Yes! Unlimited!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes! Up it to 4 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes! Up it to 3 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Nah, leave it as is

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Only if we can't get enough AI candidates

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • You should select certain people to be able to have multiple characters (based on activity)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other (I have started my opinion below)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need any help with starting ideas or where to take your character, feel free to contact either Rainjay or myself.

Reactions: Rainjay
Okay, I declare the profile finished. (I didn't want to say that until I'd finished the Tchou system).

@RayChel
That's a very interesting planet; is it still sticking to 'traditional' technologies or is it just Middle Kingdoms society with the modern-day technology?
For the most part, technology is two hundred years outdated. Well, maybe not that bad. I think the best way I can phrase it is that the Tchou system is resistant to automation. Beasts of burden are common on farms (I haven't done any work on local fauna or flora, though) and are often used for parades and sports. Factories use machines that are safe and efficient, but are still manned by people. They welcome cutting-edge medicines, but are less open to new surgeries. They have space shuttles, flying cars, and advanced weapons. I think the closest comparison I can make is, if the leading technology is London, the Tchou system is a town in the American Midwest.

Kendrick "Bullet" Crow

Home Planet: Mars

Home System: Terra-I

Appearance: Crow stands at an even six feet tall with broad shoulders and an overall gruff look to him. Sharp blue eyes sit beneath a stout brow, a brow that extends into a hooked nose and lowered cheekbones. At one time, he had retained a rugged line of stubble across his cheeks. His induction into the AI security team has warranted he remain clean shaven entirely, and so he does. While the AI program does not strictly state that long hair is not allowed, he keeps his hair buzzed out of a paranoid feeling that it is a liability at best to keep it longer than a quarter of an inch. Beyond his harsh visage, Crow keeps a well-built form that has, to his surprise, remained devoid of scars despite his line of work.

Distinguishing Features: None on his person, other than perhaps his hulking form. However, his helmet remains a symbol of who he is, the only item that is non-standard issue with the rest of his gear.

Personality: Crow is a simple man, having reached a point in his life that he has become institutionalized. While he is capable of independent thoughts and actions outside of deployments and postings, he has lost most ideals of self initiative and often has to be asked to attend social events. Granted, that does not prevent him from being as intelligent as any person has a right to be, though not in a traditional sense. Having been a soldier assigned to reconnaissance, Crow retains a knowledge of nearly all matters an infantryman might be called upon to utilize.

Talents/Skills: Remaining unseen, general marksmanship, reconnaissance, identifying aircraft, general combat knowledge.

History: Kendrick Crow began life as the only child of a rather well-off family on Mars. When his father's company began to cut employees, the family was forced to leave the major urban zone of what was still a relatively new city expansion on Mars. In the suburbs - for lack of a better term - the entire family began to enter working-class jobs to keep themselves afloat until he Mars planetary guard was established as more and more alien threats were assessed. Planets needed their own standing armies while the old UNP soldiers were mobilized and formed into their own special unit. With this chance, Kendrick joined at the age of twenty two and became a sergeant three years later. He never rose beyond that rank. By the end of his fourteenth year, Crow was offered a position as a security asset for the AI program and took it willingly enough, seeing it as an opportunity to leave the planet. After six months of training specific to the AI program, he was off and ready to go.

Again, all credit to the guys at digital-art-gallery.com.

[dash=yellow]
Name:
Xue, Bao Qin (Shweh, Bah-oh Cheen)
Home planet:
In 2278, China laid claim to the only planet in the Tchou system that was already inhabitable: Wu. The planet was abundant in resources, and soon other nationalities swarmed to it as well. In 2351, after Biodomes had become viable, two other planets in the system were colonized: Cao Wei and Shu Han. Many claimed it was tempting fate, but there have only been small tensions between the three planets in the last four hundred years. Relations between them are rather amiable, and they will often support each others' interests in the UPN.

Shu Han retains much of its Chinese heritage. The culture, the physical features of its citizens, and the local language can all be traced back to the country that first colonized the Tchou system, though notably altered. The planet is primarily farmland now that the terraforming is finished, but industry thrives where the biodomes were first built. At the heart of the planet's economy is its capital city, Chengdu.

Shu Han is ruled by a monarch. Each province on Shu Han elects one person to the Senate, and the Senate will appoint the next King or Queen. From then, the Senators act as vassals to the King, reporting on their province and handling lesser domestic affairs. The King is responsible for the planet as a whole, especially regarding foreign policy. If a King is found unfit to rule, the Senate can remove him and appoint a new King.
Home system:
Tchou, the star, is marginally larger than Earth's Sol, so the inhabitable planets are slightly further out, comparatively. Shu Han is the nearest, then Wu, then Cao Wei. All three of these orbit in the same direction, with slightly different speeds, so they remain equidistant from one another around Tchou. One small planet is even further in than Shu Han, but there is no possibility of habitation. The same goes for the two frozen worlds past Cao Wei.

As Wu was the first settled and required no terraforming, it is the most populated of the three. The three planets are generally similar, enough so that many astronomers claim all three have the same origin. As such, the Tchou system is often referred to as just that, rather than identifying each planet separately. The primary exports are food and timber, and the primary imports are technology and people.

Each planet represents itself in the UPN, but the three will almost always stand united. As a people, they consider each other almost like family--and indeed, many of the inhabitants have family on the other two worlds. Travel between the three is as common as travel between Asia, Europe, and America was in the 21st century.
Retired Politician; Convict.

Appearance: (credit to Zhou Zhao at digital-art-gallery.com)
Bao Qin has the dark hair and eyes typical of Tsong, but has a fair complexion and delicate features to define her as a beauty. Her frame is slight, measuring 165cm (6' 5") tall and 54kg (119 lbs.) heavy. She still chooses to wear traditional robes with deep colors, leaving very little skin exposed.
Distinguishing features:
A crystal hair comb always rests atop her head.
Personality:
Taciturn, dutiful, logical. Bao Qin knew from the beginning of her life that she would be a Queen. Her sense of duty drove her to diligent study, but she had very little human contact beyond her instructors. In her early teenage years she learned to present herself for an audience. Everyone who met her, or even just saw her from a distance, agreed that she would make an excellent ruler.

It was all an act, and Bao Qin knew it. Her intelligence was beyond compare, and she would always choose the most logical course of action. A nation under her guidance was sure to thrive. Yet she wouldn't step off her pedestal to help a single woman collapsed on the street, nor could she understand why the young man that was her rival for the throne would. She still doesn't know why, but she did decide that a person like herself was unfit to lead people.
Talents/Skills:
Logic and Reasoning
Presentation
Basic Self-Defense
History:
Bao Qin is a bred Queen. Her mother and father were matched on the basis of beauty, intelligence, and charisma. At age three she began schooling. By twelve she had completed the equivalent of a primary education. The next three years were spent on in-depth study of foreign policy, domestic affairs, economics, and human behavior. When she turned fifteen, Bao Qin was formally presented to the King and Senate. It was nothing more than a formality, as her very existence was due to a group of Senators representing the large cities; however, it did provide her a chance to leave a good impression. By the time she left that room, everyone in it was enraptured with her elegance and majesty.

Now an official candidate for Queen, Bao Qin was moved into the palace. Two months later, a young prince joined the house: Yu-lin, a candidate for King that had been prepared by the outer provinces. He was polite, modest, and charsimatic, just as Bao Qin had been taught to behave, so they never fought; but there was something more about him Bao Qin could never place.

It wasn't until she was twenty-two that Bao Qin found how they were different. During a parade for the Harvest Festival, a woman--a peasant of no status--fell into the street, injured and unable to move. Bao Qin rested before the King, and Yu-lin rode beside them; all three saw the woman collapse, but only one of them leaped down to her. Bao Qin was shocked at Yu-lin's action. The woman could have been an assassin or thief, or there may have been such a criminal in the crowd waiting for a chance. The woman who fell was nobody, just another peasant in the crowd with nothing to offer. It was a risk to descend to the street, and there was most certainly nothing to be gained from doing so. Yet Yu-lin was at her side, lifting her in his arms, and resting her on his mount before the guards could say a word in protest.

He took her to the palace, had the royal doctor examine her, and cried when he was told she couldn't be saved. Bao Qin was moving swiftly to confront Yu-lin, so she heard the final verdict: the woman had been attacked, the attacker using a deadly parasite to eat her body from the inside out. It had multiplied too far to be countered. Bao Qin waited for the doctor to leave, then stepped into the room to join Yu-lin at the woman's bedside. The brief conversation the three shared forced Bao Qin to reevaluate herself as a ruler.

Two weeks later, Bao Qin had found the group that killed that woman. She alerted the police that they could catch a murderer if they would hurry to that house. When the officers arrived, they found the bodies of three men staining the floor and Bao Qin kneeling in the center of the room. Bao Qin plead guilty to murder, denied every attempt the Senators made to claim it was self-defense, and retired to a minimum security prison. The Senate tried to hush up any information, but rumor spread quietly.

For two years Bao Qin remained in that prison. She showed no desire to leave. She continued to live as she always had: regal, elegant, modest, polite, and correct. She hardly seemed like a prisoner, and indeed she didn't see herself as one. She was simply living in a different house, facing new experiences, and trying to learn what Yu-lin had that she did not.
Reason Picked:
Preliminary tests found Bao Qin to be 80% compatible with Pearl. More investigation raised the number slightly. Though it wasn't an exact match, finding someone who made a good test subject was important, too. Bao Qin's personality convinced the researchers that she would be able to provide precise and unbiased information.
Other:
Bao Qin used to carry a war fan on her at all times. She'd like to do so again, as it made defending herself easier.[/dash]

[dash=yellow]

AI name:
Pearl

AI personality:
Pearl is, first and foremost, dutiful. Her first duty is to see that the AI Project succeeds. She is very caring, so she also takes it upon herself to care for the other AI. She'll do so quietly, though, because she's too shy to step into a limelight. She dislikes violence, and she especially hates seeing the AI fight--which is quite the conundrum for her as she knows the ultimate goal of the AI Project is to enhance soldiers. Her sense of duty--to the Project, the UPN, and humanity--pushes her to swallow her personal distaste for the sake of the greater good; nevertheless, Pearl has never reconciled within herself, so the two conflicting agendas are tearing at her.

AI appearance: (credit to Eric Chen at digital-art-gallery.com)
Originally, Pearl had long, wavy, hair that was almost as white as her namesake and eyes as clear as the summer sky. Her pale-blonde tresses have darkened slightly since Pearl joined Bao Qin, and her eyes have become a deep brown to match Bao Qin's. The cherry blossoms, too, are a recent addition, added to match Bao Qin's crystal comb. Pearl wears a peach, floorlength, formless gown and leaves her feet bare.
AI skills:
Biology, especially Human Physiology and Anatomy
Medicine
Artificial Intelligence[/dash]

Alright. I finally finished reading it! I do love your character xD and not just because now we've got different nationalities going on (not something I see often). Although I've already told you why I like the idea :P

The only one thing is under skills you have 'Artificial Intelligence". That's a very broad category and could mean many things (especially as each AI is an artificial intelligence). If you could clarify that a bit, that'd be cool. Otherwise, accccepted ^^

Kendrick "Bullet" Crow

Home Planet: Mars

Home System: Terra-I

Appearance: Crow stands at an even six feet tall with broad shoulders and an overall gruff look to him. Sharp blue eyes sit beneath a stout brow, a brow that extends into a hooked nose and lowered cheekbones. At one time, he had retained a rugged line of stubble across his cheeks. His induction into the AI security team has warranted he remain clean shaven entirely, and so he does. While the AI program does not strictly state that long hair is not allowed, he keeps his hair buzzed out of a paranoid feeling that it is a liability at best to keep it longer than a quarter of an inch. Beyond his harsh visage, Crow keeps a well-built form that has, to his surprise, remained devoid of scars despite his line of work.

Distinguishing Features: None on his person, other than perhaps his hulking form. However, his helmet remains a symbol of who he is, the only item that is non-standard issue with the rest of his gear.

Personality: Crow is a simple man, having reached a point in his life that he has become institutionalized. While he is capable of independent thoughts and actions outside of deployments and postings, he has lost most ideals of self initiative and often has to be asked to attend social events. Granted, that does not prevent him from being as intelligent as any person has a right to be, though not in a traditional sense. Having been a soldier assigned to reconnaissance, Crow retains a knowledge of nearly all matters an infantryman might be called upon to utilize.

Talents/Skills: Remaining unseen, general marksmanship, reconnaissance, identifying aircraft, general combat knowledge.

History: Kendrick Crow began life as the only child of a rather well-off family on Mars. When his father's company began to cut employees, the family was forced to leave the major urban zone of what was still a relatively new city expansion on Mars. In the suburbs - for lack of a better term - the entire family began to enter working-class jobs to keep themselves afloat until he Mars planetary guard was established as more and more alien threats were assessed. Planets needed their own standing armies while the old UNP soldiers were mobilized and formed into their own special unit. With this chance, Kendrick joined at the age of twenty two and became a sergeant three years later. He never rose beyond that rank. By the end of his fourteenth year, Crow was offered a position as a security asset for the AI program and took it willingly enough, seeing it as an opportunity to leave the planet. After six months of training specific to the AI program, he was off and ready to go.

Again, all credit to the guys at digital-art-gallery.com.

Accccepted. I assume he works as AI Project security?

Of course.

I'll be working on a bit more in depth CS type things for the 'pre made' characters that run the AI Project as they might come into the story.

Reactions: ze_kraken
Um, I'm not sure how to clarify that. It's carry-over from Pearl's parent, Marianne Favero.
Arguably, she is the top expert on AI, both smart and dumb, that the humans have.
Pearl is as fascinated with AI achieving a state of life as Favero, perhaps even more so. Does that explain what I meant when I put that?

Um, I'm not sure how to clarify that. It's carry-over from Pearl's parent, Marianne Favero.

Pearl is as fascinated with AI achieving a state of life as Favero, perhaps even more so. Does that explain what I meant when I put that?
It does ^^ I was just unsure if you meant that (knowledge on AI's) or just that Pearl had artificial intelligence or what. Just double checking.

[dash=#BE81F7]Name: Elric Lunaripher
Home planet: Earth
Home system: The Solar System

Appearance:
He stands at a tall 6'1" and has always been lean, though only in the most recent years of his life has he reached the unusually low weight that he carries now. He has pale skin. His sandy hair is shaggy and perpetually unkempt, and though he doesn't naturally grow much facial hair, it's obvious that he treats shaving like something only to be done for special occasions. A number of women over the years have noted that he has a baby face. His boyish jaw, vulnerable gray-blue eyes, and other facial features seem to be conspiring to make him look younger than he really is, but weary age lines and a select few gray hairs coming in too soon counter that work and then some. He almost always looks tired. A typical outfit for him is a slightly rumpled button-up shirt with slacks or high-quality jeans, a belt, and work shoes. His favorite outerwear is a lightweight gray longcoat, and while he'll leave the front open should he get warm, it takes a lot to get him so hot that he elects to remove it completely.
Distinguishing features:
His feet and ankles are actually cybernetic replacements, along with his left leg about a third of the way up his shin and his right leg all the way up to mid-thigh, but neither modification is normally visible to people; only close friends know he's an amputee.

Personality:
He is introverted and doesn't have that great of a sense of humor, but he's courteous and good-natured. When a task or project catches his attention, he becomes very self-motivated, not suited to be a leader but determined to tackle the job himself as long as he can. He's always been able to breeze through classes and is largely self-taught beyond his formal study. He's a peacemaker who hates feeling like an obstacle and typically shies away from confrontation, but he's prone to making unintentionally passive-aggressive comments when bothered by something but struggling to remain altruistic, and if just the right (or wrong, rather) thing gets under his skin, he will snap, and snap hard.
Talents/Skills:
He's got the book smarts. Hand him a textbook and a two-week vacation, and when it's done he'll ace the final exam of the class it came from. Or at least snag a B+. Success is more likely in a scientific or mathematical subject.

History:
Like his AI's human base, Anastasia Kahler, Elric grew up on Earth with few worries. As an only child, his intelligence blossomed under his parents' watchful eyes and loving care, and while he eventually developed a hearty interest in video gaming, he always seemed to prefer family-friendly titles to gritty ones, although the boundary between the two blurred somewhat as he matured. After winning a few mathematics and physics awards in high school, he attended university with the aid of a hefty scholarship, eager to absorb what knowledge he could, though he knew from the get-go that he had one dream he would prefer to chase if he could: a foot in the door of the booming Virtual Reality industry. His dreams came true when he weaseled his way into an indie game development company.
That was when he met Julie Annison. Convinced to step in as a voice actress for the company's first shot at fame, she met Elric at the studio a few months after he was hired, and sparks quickly started flying. They got along splendidly despite Elric's initial shyness, reveling in their common interests and doing their best to see their differences as boons. Come three years later, the couple was newly married, but it was only a little over a year afterwards that Julie gave birth to their first child three weeks prematurely while suffering from an illness. She did not survive the delivery.
Heartbroken but determined to keep his chin up for the newborn girl's sake, Elric raised his daughter, whom he named Madeleine as he and Julie had agreed, as a single father after switching from a full-time employee to a contractor who could work from home. Despite the obstacles they faced, Elric's natural sensitivity made him a good father, and the two were happy. Taking his daughter on a train trip across the country when she was four, however, was either a bad idea to begin with or a stroke of terrible luck: in an incident that would appear across the news and soon enough go down in history, their train was intercepted by a pair of hovercrafts trying to beat the train across a level crossing. The first hit the engine and the second smashed into the second passenger car. There were at least sixty casualties of varying severity, and while Elric survived with leg replacements, young Madeleine was not so fortunate.
In the three years since the accident, he has withdrawn from the world, keeping his contract work with the company he started with but devoting every free minute he can squeeze out of his day to personal programming projects. It might seem a paradox that his work ethic has gotten stronger after such a blow to his livelihood, but perhaps he was desperate to give his life new meaning. His personal tastes in projects led him to humanlike AI development of the same ilk as the AI Project, though he didn't know it, and he eagerly devoured all he could on the topic, including Marianne Favero's papers. His AI work is the ad hoc work of a lone programmer who pieces together whatever existing knowledge he can scour from the Internet with his own poorly organized and uncommented code. Lacking access to the ability to flash clone a working human brain as a starting point, he's been left to work entirely from scratch, so his understanding of the simulation of human brain-like processing is very high but unorthodox.

Reason Picked:
Aside from being intelligent and unfailingly studious, good qualities in themselves and a decent 78% match for Amethyst, he was noted for his own independent AI work. His main purpose as a test subject in the project is to see if someone with his knowledge of humanlike AI and how it works would lead to him refining his own AI more quickly than others could.[/dash]

[dash=#BE81F7]AI name: Amethyst
AI personality:
Her primary trait is her thirst for knowledge. Amethyst will happily soak up whatever new topic her whim deems interesting, mostly just for the satisfaction of knowing it. The usefulness of the information, if any, is a nice side effect. She can spend a very long time reading about a topic if not bothered, but she has a heart too, and if something strikes her as amiss, she will drop what she's doing and reveal her nurturing side. Although more on the introverted side of center, she's personable and seems to value friendship. However, when something she values strongly is questioned, such as the value of the AI Project, the importance of a topic she has studied, or the dignity or well-being of a friend, she can and will verbally tear the offender a new one. She has retained the vast majority of the knowledge that Anastasia Kahler possessed at the time of her creation, but her specialty in quantum physics has fallen by the wayside in favor of entertaining curiosity about whatever new thing she learns about. Her partnership with Elric has kindled a particular interest in programming languages and software development.
AI appearance:
Her skin is pale, her hair long, straight, and silvery lavender in color, and her eyes brilliant violet. She keeps her hair swept back in a large black clip at the back of her head and wears thin rimmed glasses. Her preferred outfit is a butter-yellow blouse over black slacks and semi-formal work shoes, though she may change it on occasion. She always wears a lab coat and frequently likes to appear carrying a book or clipboard for effect. She smiles more readily than Elric does.
AI skills:
  • Extensive knowledge of several areas of physics
  • Beginner's knowledge of programming
  • Excellent processing of math and physics problems
[/dash]

[dash=#CC6600]Name: Blake Lianson
Home planet: Noveria
Home system: Novus

Appearance:
Somewhat tall, measuring in at 5'11", he sports blue-green eyes and pale skin that's more prone to get freckly than tanned. His hair is a rich auburn color that he wears in a "youthful" cut with full bangs; some call it cute, others call it immature. He calls it his hair. He's nearly always clean-shaven, and his face is bright and expressive. Although he will eagerly don business or formal wear should the occasion call for it, he is usually most comfortable in a T-shirt (pop culture reference preferred), simple jeans, his favorite purple sneakers, and his official teal Vox Aeterna sweatshirt that he brought back from one of their concerts. And yes, he's one of those people who like to wear their high-end headphones around their neck. He basically looks like he walked fresh off a college campus. He sports a robust voice with a wide range, capable of singing all but the highest tenor and lowest bass roles, though his speaking voice settles at a healthy baritone.
Distinguishing features:
Nothing in particular, but what most people tend to remember about him is his smile. At times he can give off a bit of a camp gay vibe.

Personality:
It often seems like nothing can get Blake down. He takes life in stride and treats the world like a stage, though he doesn't seek attention so much as he just wants to have fun with his life. He is confident, charismatic, helpful, protective, and very expressive. This guy wears his heart on his sleeve and does so proudly. If he has any flaws, they would be his naïveté and his poorly timed flirty tendencies. He's also gotten himself in trouble with those close to him at least twice by overacting or not appearing to take an issue seriously. Despite his freewheeling demeanor, he is extremely loyal, particularly to his girlfriend of three years, Tani O'Harring. No, really, he acts like a love-drunk puppy when he's around her.
Talents/Skills:
He did fairly well in school all around, but his claim to fame is his musicality. He sings and plays several styles of guitar, and his music reading skills are superb. He also has a way of encouraging and appealing to people; he's good at public speaking and rallying a group towards a goal.

History:
Blake has been a performer ever since he was little. He has always been friendly and affectionate, not really caring how the world saw him in the process, and though his Catholic parents initially had some trouble accepting his veering-on-dangerously-feminine nature, eventually the mere fact that he was their treasured son won out. He excelled in music (primarily vocal) throughout his school days and into college, but even though he was certainly good enough to participate in the higher-end school choirs that were by selection or audition, he always made a point of also being a member of the larger "scrub" choirs of students either looking to fill an art requirement or just singing for the fun of it. He chooses to believe that anyone can do something, such as sing, if they are passionate about it and put their mind to it.
Thus Star Crossing was born. When Blake heard that the non-auditioned choir's director at his liberal arts college would be taking a sabbatical the second half of his junior year, thus dissolving the choir for a period, Blake was visibly dismayed, even though he was also in an auditioned group to keep him busy. He had a few close friends in the large choir, so he arranged for them to meet up over the course of the missing semester just to make some music for fun, and in a gesture he didn't think much of at the time, he suggested they recruit their close friends as well. Imagine Blake's surprise when he arrived at the first meeting with both his girlfriend Tani and his reluctant best friend/roommate at the time in tow, only to be greeted by another nine students. Less than half of the twelve people present could read music. But he took it in stride. He and his close friends in the group took it upon themselves to personally tutor the others and sculpt the even dozen of them into an a cappella group that they would soon dub "Star Crossing." Within the remaining year and a half of Blake's education, Star Crossing grew so much in skill thanks to his diligent care that his academic advisor proposed a deal: if Blake could get Star Crossing to place in a local college a cappella competition, she would personally waive his senior recital requirement. Blake accepted the challenge, and Star Crossing placed third. The year and a half ordeal forged a bond of friendship and community within the group, and although Blake had to graduate soon after the competition and the group subsequently dissolved, he did his best to keep in touch with all of the former members.
Blake is currently taking a year off from school after obtaining his bachelor's of arts in music. While he initially planned to specialize in vocal performance and try his best to carve out a niche as a performer, his experience with Star Crossing changed him. He now seeks to become a music teacher and has made preparations to attend a conservatory come the end of this school year in order to further his education as, well, an educator. But that was before the UPN contacted him...

Reason Picked:
If there is to be a ringleader of the AI candidates to keep everyone on task if they are ever used for military purposes, Blake is it. He shares a formidable 89% of his personality with the charismatic Aries, the most leaderly of the AIs, and his capability to charm people and then whip them into shape isn't just a test result: his history with Star Crossing proves it.[/dash]

[dash=#CC6600]AI name: Aries
AI personality:
A born leader, if "born" can be applied to an AI. He knows how to rally the troops, and while very commanding should the need arise, he is otherwise extremely friendly. His upcoming partner Blake will most likely become a sworn companion. His loyalty is not to be underestimated; he would feel the urge to take bullets for his friends and comrades. Sadly, he doesn't have a body with which he could do such a thing. His human base, Wayne Baldini, was passionate about space and became a renowned pilot, and while Aries has retained the knowledge on how to fly and maintain a ship, the passion for interstellar flight was lost in the flash cloning process. However, he feels like he's supposed to be passionate about something...he just doesn't know what yet.
AI appearance:
Aries has dark skin, rich brown eyes, and close-cut black hair. He wears a military commander's uniform, but he leaves the jacket open to reveal the plain T-shirt he wears underneath and has been known to remove his hat when speaking frankly with someone. Both gestures are meant to help him appear personable. His synthesized voice is surprisingly rich and deep.
AI skills:
  • Public speaking and speech-making, derived from a hefty database of famous speeches.
  • Expertise in how to fly and maintain most varieties of spacecraft.
[/dash]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, this looks interesting. May I reserve this space for Amethyst and her partner?

Welcome aboard! Rainjay's the only one who can edit the thread, so reserving that is her department. If you need any help with character concepts or details, feel free to ask either of us.

Oooh, this looks interesting. May I reserve this space for Amethyst and her partner?
You most certainly can! Sorry I took so long to respond; I'm totally not watching a Mass Effect Playthrough because I don't own the games...

I also added in a CS for Marianne.. She was the human counterpart to Pearl but I figured that if she was key in the AI Project I should make her my second character. I wanted to do CS's for several other premade characters that could be important in the plot but it does say a two character limit and GM doesn't equal break-every-rule :P I'll leave them as NPCs weeeee

OH and Kraken can accept reserves. It just might take be a little bit to get to putting it up onto the front page. ^^

We've got 6/8 candidates needed for the beginning of the roleplay, assuming the two reserves are completed :P And I think we did say at 8 we can put the IC up?

I'm really not sure if I still want to give this a try, or not. The setting and background all seem really involved, and it's a bit intimidating. I do still like the idea of all this, but I'm not sure what I'd do. I'll try to think of something, either for a candidate/AI pair, or just an independent character of one sort or another.

Actually, a good question: what sort of characters/roles (outside of more candidates) would be important or interesting to see? Would you need a ship and a pilot? Scientists?

@R-9 Pilot
Well, regardless if you are a candidate or not, you need to have some connection to the program. A few ideas that could work out:
  • Assigned psychologist to a candidate(s) to see if the AI induction process messes with the psychological workings of candidates. (e.g. memory backlash, damage to brain long-term, etc.)
  • Dedicated response unit that is kept in reserves to evacuate them if necessary (not a good idea for an RP character, since you want to be in the action itself, but would allow you to be a bit selective of how dedicated you would be to the story starting up) or simply be the trusted means of transportation.
  • Scientist that is attempting to make a better way to create smart AIs en masse by studying how the candidates react and such.
  • Bodyguard (already in use, but it makes it feel more realistic if there is more than one guard with them)

I'm really not sure if I still want to give this a try, or not. The setting and background all seem really involved, and it's a bit intimidating. I do still like the idea of all this, but I'm not sure what I'd do. I'll try to think of something, either for a candidate/AI pair, or just an independent character of one sort or another.

Actually, a good question: what sort of characters/roles (outside of more candidates) would be important or interesting to see? Would you need a ship and a pilot? Scientists?
The roleplay is designed to be, outside of the base plot, open world and sandboxy; the characters, no matter what they do, will be influenced to somehow reach the end destination of the story, but players can go anywhere and do anything besides it. So really, whatever character you pick to play is likely to alter the path of the story. There is no other set direction, so by creating a character you create direction.

In a less intimidating way of saying it; no matter what type of character you choose to create, it will be integrated equally into the plot and story.

Although if you want a more direct answer, I can pitch in a few ideas for characters that I can see will be easier to integrate:
- Scientists (of the AI Project or otherwise, they will be useful tools for the other characters to turn to and will be vital to forward progression in a scientific world)
- Anybody with combat experience (anybody in the military will be very important to the Khaian-Human war, and could be encountered by AI candidate players or could be brought into the story directly through other means. Guards, bodyguards, or other personnel could work on Durness for the facility, or perhaps you could integrate a cop character from another world when characters travel to it)
- Pilots (Hey, I know at least one person is going to leave the Project as a pirate and they're gonna need somebody to pilot their ship off into the stars. Pilots (especially ones who really know how to bring a ship into battle) are really badass. And even if the aforementioned event doesn't occur, the main storyline of the plot does involve getting to another planet entirely, so a pilot shall be needed. AI candidate or not, an important role)
- Doctors (not the usual scientists; but specific doctors could play a role. We're in a war in the roleplay. People are gonna get hurt!)
- Political figures (also important! Of course, they'll probably be either partly illegitimate or at least secretive if they're going to get involved with a top-secret military Project, and even further if they plan on helping renegade test subjects, but that can always be fun)
- Alien specialists (The basics for the Khaian are set, but this is a sandbox roleplay! Players are encouraged to create and destroy as they please (although I prefer if destruction didn't mean 'rip apart the roleplay and create a new one'), so further history, details, and other things have been left blank. The Khaian's really are unknown at this point; anybody who wants to be a specialist on the topic would have a lot of liberty in coming up with rare information about these aliens that I don't even know about :P)

That's the ideas I've got for now, but do keep in mind that any character can and will be integrated into the story ^^ I do hope you'll join

(and Kraken's ideas are great as well ^.^)

Right, so the issue of character count is really due to the idea that we need at least eight candidates. This can be solved a number of ways beyond just shoving more characters onto people:

• Make it a tight-knit group where we swap characters for different chapters that lead to an overarching story. Not the greatest idea; requires a lot of commitment, several characters (which can be hard to make them all feel unique and different enough from one another), and drags out the RP! However, if we were to each play different casts of characters in different locations working different plots, it could add variation, story depth, and add a chance to flesh out the world more.
  • The majority of the AI candidates wouldn't be in one area. Their skillsets, requirements, and roles are all different. Not to mention, having all of humanity's best hope in one area leads to an easy way to eliminate a wide majority of them without having to track all of them down and pick them off. Simply saying the others are working their own things and off-screen works just as well while still keeping a feeling that they are there. It also allows for people to drop off/hop on - if need be.
  • And, of course, making people take 2-3 characters (at least two AI candidates) could solve the issue without causing too much trouble and would still be better than coordinating between a larger group since we can all discuss plot, our views on the story, and where we want to take it.
But, that's just my two cents on the matter, whatever you decide is fine with me.

Right, so the issue of character count is really due to the idea that we need at least eight candidates. This can be solved a number of ways beyond just shoving more characters onto people:

• Make it a tight-knit group where we swap characters for different chapters that lead to an overarching story. Not the greatest idea; requires a lot of commitment, several characters (which can be hard to make them all feel unique and different enough from one another), and drags out the RP! However, if we were to each play different casts of characters in different locations working different plots, it could add variation, story depth, and add a chance to flesh out the world more.
  • The majority of the AI candidates wouldn't be in one area. Their skillsets, requirements, and roles are all different. Not to mention, having all of humanity's best hope in one area leads to an easy way to eliminate a wide majority of them without having to track all of them down and pick them off. Simply saying the others are working their own things and off-screen works just as well while still keeping a feeling that they are there. It also allows for people to drop off/hop on - if need be.
  • And, of course, making people take 2-3 characters (at least two AI candidates) could solve the issue without causing too much trouble and would still be better than coordinating between a larger group since we can all discuss plot, our views on the story, and where we want to take it.
But, that's just my two cents on the matter, whatever you decide is fine with me.

Even if we did have different casts, people would have multiple characters. Just in use at different times. People don't have to have every character active all the time, especially if it would just equate to fluff posts. But yeah. It's up to the players if they want to have more/less responsibility in characters and in regards to activity

It does shove more characters on people in total, but my idea was you wouldn't touch Chapter B until you wrapped up/reached a stopping point in Chapter A.

I could probably do a pilot, soldier-type, or scientist/psychologist pretty easily. I'll see if I can put something together for one of those. I do still like the idea of playing an AI for some reason, but since it's probably not the best way to go, I'll set it aside.

Not sure how I feel about the remaining open AIs as written, so I'm still not sure on making a candidate or not. I probably could, if it's something we really need.

I could probably do a pilot, soldier-type, or scientist/psychologist pretty easily. I'll see if I can put something together for one of those. I do still like the idea of playing an AI for some reason, but since it's probably not the best way to go, I'll set it aside.

Not sure how I feel about the remaining open AIs as written, so I'm still not sure on making a candidate or not. I probably could, if it's something we really need.
It's entirely up to you. If there's an AI you like (but aren't entirely sure about due to preset personality conflicts) PM me and we can probably work something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.