The AI Project (OOC/Sign ups) ONE OPENING

Do you think allowing additional characters per player is a good idea?

• Yes! Unlimited!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes! Up it to 4 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes! Up it to 3 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Nah, leave it as is

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Only if we can't get enough AI candidates

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • You should select certain people to be able to have multiple characters (based on activity)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other (I have started my opinion below)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
From other scifi ish space escapades I've seen, next door neighbor is usually close enough to hack

Well, of course, no one wants to see:

Missiles firing! [Takes hours to hit the target] Boom. Destroyed. Next?

Alright, I'll add my list of opinions. First, about the 1g acceleration form of gravity: that means you have to always be accelerating. You'd be constantly burning fuel, you'd reach near-light speed eventually and not be able to keep that acceleration, and when you had to slow down gravity would suddenly reverse. As long as we're being sci-fi about it: near the bottom of the ship is a layer (or it could be a pole in the middle of a ship, or a sphere at the center--it all depends on the shape of the ship) of ### element, which creates a gravitational pull while you do X to it. Wherever that element is would be down.

About hacking, I think it's safe to say that Khaians don't use binary. We need to establish how far humanity is to cracking the Khaian system. And a hacker would probably need to know the written language, too. Meanwhile this is all going in reverse, as well: the Khaians are trying to learn how to break the human's code.

As far as the war has gone so far, boarding is fatalistic. It would take some bizarre thinking and superhuman soldiers to make a successful boarding. In other words, it will be crazy awesome when our characters pull it off. :bsmile:

I definitely think that ships that are built for boarding could absolutely work, but a bunch of dropships and other small transports would most likely get shot down in the process. That being said, if a frigate-sized craft dedicated to transporting marines via some sort of extending 'boarding plank' were to exist, that could easily be a way to board enemy ships, anything smaller just wouldn't work very well. Well, size really isn't an issue so long as there are marines on board, so discard the 'frigate-sized' bit.

Now, I'd expect the Khaians would use binary for their base machine code, because you cannot get simpler than on/off on a switch. Anything above that, though, yeah, totally different languages all the way up.

Actually, speaking of acceleration issues, there are some for a rotating cylinder as well. It would probably act like a gigantic gyroscope, making the ship harder to steer when moving off the axis of rotation, due to trying to conserve angular momentum.

Well, if anybodies AI gets enough experience with the Khaian... or gets placed into a Khaian system for long enough...

Well.

They would probably be able to figure out how to hack it. We have very smart AI, remember.

My knowledge of physics is slowly being outdone by you, R9, well done! But, while that is true (the power of Google is marvelous), this is still science fiction. Most spaceships at this level don't make sense, but we can easily explain it away with "Well, the way this is built negates this." since it is 700 years in the future and no shit went down to ruin Earth.

Well if anybody truly knows how to make a scientifically accurate spaceship, and wants to write theirs like that.... Be my guest. I can always use a new lesson in physics!

I love physics.

Yaaaaayyyy physicssss. Physics and space!!!

portal_2_spaaaace_by_poticceli-d4yj57d.jpg

ALSO

If anybody would be interested in having a SECOND AI candidate character, please do PM me!

Can I just say this conversation has been fascinating to watch unfold? Yay science!

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I'd be happy to think up another AI candidate if necessary.

Reactions: Rainjay
Alright... It doesn't seem like anybody else is coming to join us... unless anybody knows anybody who might be interested?

I've got a friend who might like this. I'll give her a poke.

Follow-up: she politely declined. :( Oh well.

Hey! I'm interested in joining!
While I don't mind having an AI, I mainly had the idea of a soldier that might may have had experience fighting the aliens or something.

Hey! I'm interested in joining!
While I don't mind having an AI, I mainly had the idea of a soldier that might may have had experience fighting the aliens or something.
It's entirely up to you if you wish to have an AI or not! We're happy to have you either way :) You may also have two characters if you wish (one may be an AI candidate).

@all
I'll be working on the first IC post today and hopefully I can put it up at some point tomorrow. On Sunday, I will allow anybody who has claimed an unclaimed AI to take it as a second character to get things moving along. Please do let any friends know (that are interested in sci-fi, of course!) that we're still open for newcomers!

@Rainjay
What would non-candidates do exactly?
Since the roleplay is meant to be part sandbox, characters can truly do whatever they want and will still be pushed towards the main goal of the story by the GMs, no matter what path they take. Space pirates will get involved as much as medics or front line soldiers. A guard could work at the AI Project headquarters, and could get involved in helping candidates escape the building, or trying to track down runaway candidates. A scientist could help coordinate the project, help run tests, and perhaps even do the same thing as the guards or run away with the candidates (a scientist would work closely with the GMs to help coordinate the opening plot of the story). A pilot would be very important (we've discussed this one before!)- it's space, we need somebody to get us to where we go! A soldier would definitely be able to be involved, although it may take a little bit until they get very deep into the main plot (don't worry, we wouldn't leave any soldiers waiting, we would find something for them to do, if they're not sure!)- soldiers would have fighting abilities the AI Candidates will usually lack, and will want to end the war, and could help the candidates. Or perhaps you could play a sibling or friend of a candidate, and get involved in whatever secrets go down in their facility.

Whatever you decide to do, we will make sure you're involved in the story as much as anybody else, so you can truly make up most anything. :)

@Rainjay

(if anyone has checked out TIA: Vampire Virus, you might notice this character will borrow heavily from that role play. However, she is changed to fit to this universe and is not as troubled)

Name: Corbin A. Durazo
Home planet: It's Saturn's moon, Titan. After terraforming, Titan has a high nitrogen and oxygen atmosphere. This makes the planet extremely humid and often cold. Human inhabitants are often more resistant to Hypothermia but less resistant to overheating (Evolution is a bitch)
Home system: Sol
Occupation: Soldier, Special Forces. Lots of dirty operations that might get her killed if she speaks about them, but not by her government, but by the people instead. Due to her nature of keeping secrets and getting her job done, she may be a good candidate for training, advising or fighting alongside the AI science projects.
Appearance (image):
Click here
Appearance (description): She is 5'5 and weighs roughly a hundred and ten pounds and is very lean. She has the body of a sprinter and the arm strength of a lightweight female boxer.
Distinguishing features: Arms are littered in Tribal Barb tattoos, her back has tribal dragon wings along her shoulder blades.
Personality: Hard headed Smart Ass. Charismatic and sports leadership qualities. Often accommodating, but also can get extremely hateful when feeling pressured or instigated. Prone to swearing. Fuck with her dog, and you're dead, though...good side or bad, her dog is her only friend.
Talents/Skills: Killing and keeping a cool head in adrenaline rush situations.
History: At age seventeen she lost her family to a guerrilla group on Titan. She joined the military, taking up special forces by her traits and merit in the field. She, along with around two hundred special forces soldiers, dug their hands into the mud. They killed all the guerrillas, mounted their heads on sticks (literally) and blamed it on another guerrilla group. When the task was discovered, any that didn't shield their record died. She is one of the fifty legendary "ghosts", the ones that lived to tell how the missions happened and how her friends and family died because of a whistle blower. She holds disdain towards the AI project, seeing them as just science experiments that will yield useless results. She would prefer better weaponry or combat armor or even some kind of miracle drug to conquer diseases. She does have a few cybernetic implants, but most are in her muscles to increase muscular strength despite having smaller muscles. Where as the normal strength to size ratio is 2:3, her strength to size ratio is 2:1, allowing her muscles to effectively double strength and endurance with minimal size and weight, keeping her lighter in the field.
Weapon: AR3 Combat Rifle
This rifle fires a 7.62x54 magnetic round that is an steel-Tungsten alloy. This allows the bullet to be magnetically accelerated and survive the high temperatures and still providing amazing tumble for devastating affect. While it is a projectile weapon, the bullets aren't lead- they are steel. These bullets shred armor, flesh and can get decent metal penetration. It boasts a 750 rate of fire and holds 32 bullets in a magazine (33 bullets with one in the chamber), comes with a standard under barrel 80mm grenade launcher.
She has a combat pooch also. Except unlike everyone else's combat dogs, it isn't a descendant of a German Shepard. Her breed of dog is a Czech Wolf-Hound. Utilizing the appearance of a wolf to terrify opposition and the intelligence or a German Shepard, the Czech Wolf-Hound can be taught incredible feats of training, including the knowledge of weak points on combatants and how to signal when wounded. Corbin's dog is a male CWH named Kurt. Kurt sports darker fur than most CWH, and is fairly muscular. For extra protection, he wears a canine protection vest that can hold magazines for Corbin and other soldiers. His teeth are also very sharp, and he doesn't like anyone getting rough with Corbin or shooting at a human. Corbin has used Kurt for several engagements and he has been shot before- if you think that was bad, you should've seen the guy that shot him. Corbin and Kurt participated in beating him to death with her rifle while Kurt gnawed on his neck.

Note: If it's green/underlined or both, or, it says "click here", it's a hyperlink to an image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.