The adventures of Iamora and Rune

Upon the utterance of the infernal word that someone, somewhere in this realm summoned of a disquieted tongue, Ravenwitch's talons burst forth of the fluffy fingertips, her body growth exceeding the room toy's innards, and she was brought forth of the grim looking plaything. Suddenly an energy most vile seized the town that expunged it of humans and their residences, the Embodiment of Hell towered well above the steeple that seemed a conductor for prayers to reach the Gods, and blessings to descend upon the devout.

An idol graven of the nightmares of man throughout their existence, the tips of her talons stretched well past her knees. She was restored to humanoid form, although most of her power was restrained by the whim of Atone. The Goddess had firm grsp of the reigns, but Ravenwitch breathed the oxygen of her surroundings, her trademark sneer ever present upon her face. Iamora prostrated herself in reverence, releasing the stygian integument that delved within the barren soil. "Oh, Mother, I am so relieved that your presence stands once again upon the world."

Her brow quirked with the sudden change in the wind as it were, all the while Rune seemed rather lost to the moment or he was just being his usual self. Which she couldn't honestly tell to the moment, but she managed to feel the change.

Narrowing an eye as they strode along the shifting dirt that left the town in numerous directions; Renske combed back a fair chunk of her hair; "Seems that a substance of pure taint has finally touched the earth again." she murmured causing her to wrinkle her nose.
"So the fun begins now does it?"

"What in the hell are you muttering about now?" Rune had moved a few paces ahead of her as she had stopped to glance backwards, though she grinned sweetly like she usually did in most situations only to hitch up her dress and jog up to Rune.

"You cannot feel it?"

"Feel what?" Rune moved away from her, "Your suffocating presence cause that's all I feel!"

Her smile grew, "Good enough for my liking then;" she tittered as she pulled up the cowl that rested against the cloak backside up, ears slipping through the notches in the side;
"We shouldn't impose a moment longer on the cruel fate of those here, let them have their fun and can find another place to seek a favorable destruction that suits us both."

"Whatever."

Mother and child sought more lively an infrastructure, Ravenwitch's chasm of a mouth was shushed by a hallowed hand. A sinewy substance sheathed her tongue, allowing naught for the cadance of speech or breath to be released. She had reverted to her feral vessel, an anathema that had once crumbled the planet in one blow. She shook with laughter that had not been given sound. (Rune. RUNE.) A mental cant brought a musical march to her step, she strode to his location. Iamora disappeared in a ripple of space, manifesting in the folds of darkness that conquered a bright sky. Ravenwitch's power was exhibited in the might of her telekinesis, allowing for all human beings to be given the gift of flight in a violent upheaval.

She skewered many upon her razor sharp talons, sending the rest colliding with the unforgiving terra firma. Her reflection was mot met well upon the window panes, and as a result they exploded, giving flight to innumerable shards of glass. She began to play the air current like a finely tuned lute, causing the vital fluids of the living to spill onto the cobblestone. (Rune.) Her mind bellowed his name, her hellish vocal chords working in unison, as if trying to break the seal upon her lips to speak it. She was clad in the stubborn remnants of a dress she was immolated in, most of the fabric fusing with her seared dermis.

Ears lifted, moved and matted back as his bared a fang to the feeling that something was attempting to bring his attention around and something he had not encountered in a familiar way. It put a primal bestial edge into his being as he clenched his hands into tight fists, piercing flesh enough to draw out the skewed shade of blood from his palm.

"Rune love?" Renske echoed as she put a patting hand to that of the demon's face causing him to swat at her violently; though she made no peep to say she had been hurt or even offended by his out lash, it was nowhere near as terrible as it could be. Perking a brow all the while glimmering orbs of golden hue peered around the scene feeling the terrible presence striding towards them causing her to put her knuckles to her hips. "Oh perfectly fitting-" she rolled her eyes; "The apparition that once was comes beckoning for an audience it would appear."

Rubbing at an eye, Rune glowered with the other to her frame.
"Quit speaking in riddles and just explain what the fuck you mean? You said something about a presence and feeling something and yet;" he furiously gnashed down on his teeth, grinding them allowing an audible squeak to be heard; watching the jaw flex to points it probably shouldn't. "What hell is coming now?"

Renske clasp her hands together leaning forward as she smiled to him;
"Hell itself it would appear, you should be so lucky to witness it with open eyes that aren't plagued by righteous thoughts of a gloried saviour."

"Whatever." Rune spat to the side the blood that had formed in his mouth, wiping the sinewy tendrils from his lip and continued to walk. "I've seen hell and it's nothing to be worried about;"

"The hell you speak of is nothing like the one that ushers forward an age of death and decay my dearest."

He threw up a hand,
"Don't fucking care honestly, let the world be consumed by fire; have all the mortals destroyed and ripped from limb to limb, it doesnt matter to me. Who every wants to destroy them all can have all the enjoyment from it, I do as I please and feel no need to seek repentance for the joys I rip from a thriving life." He growled as she tailed him eagerly; "To hell with it all."

Great fissures divided the earth, and the wailing souls sang a song of anguish and fear. Ravenwitch entered the edifice that contained Rune and his feminine consort. The folks that had fallen into a state of inebriated bliss had awoken to aversion and panic, having beheld her countenance with vision unhazed by the effects of their ales. Some of them had decided irrationally to blind themselves so that they wouldn't have to take in another glimpse of her dreadful form, others were nauseated to the point of regurgitating their insides, the crucial tissues needed to sustain life. She gargantuan creature approached his table, invited or not.

"I am the herald of the one true God." Spoke Iamora, but her message was not intending that she was the speaker on behalf of a heavenly host. The sanguineous liquid of mortals had run red through the aquaducts, and the bloated corpses were both a treat and transportation for the undesired fowl that plagued the town in her presence. They sat upon the deceased as if they were gondola like remnants of sloughing flesh, adrift upon a stagnated river.

It seemed whatever sort of prattle that Renske had been sprouting off; only gave way to the appearance of the newest woman that appeared on the verge of death, or had been reborn from the very corpse that was the end of all life.

She was a dreadful looking creature though it was difficult not to stare in wonder and in disgust, even for him. Wrapping a hand around the tattered hilt that rested comfortably within its scabbard; Rune allowed a fleeting look to that of Renske as the white woman seemed rather amused to the entire appearance. To hell if he knew really why.

Ears would move forward when the voice broke open the silent barrier causing him to growl upon himself, she couldn't have possibly made herself appear again... especially since he had gone so long without the corrupted little cur being in sight for how many months.

"Herald of one true god?" he repeated; his tongue nearly tasting the foul word that deemed a being higher than most before he would turn his face away with a scoff. "Someone surely thinks high of themselves, do you have pedestal made from the richest ivory as well?"

"Be careful how to speak with your words with this one; Rune dear." Renske seemed to hand out a casual warning that he did not heed too. "You know naught what you see before you."

Rune raised a brow;
"I see nothing worth my time that much is for certain." his hand released the hilt allowing him to cross his arms over the girth of his chest.

Ravenwitch reach out to him, as if his very being would be guided somehow to her grasp by magnetic energy. Iamora began to fidget, her face reflecting the animosity that was sparked by his words. Then her mother's fore talon rose, hovering before her own neck. Suddenly, the landscape changed, erasing them from the picture. Kiruku wanted to lash out at the shoppekeep for the discourtesy, but instead practiced self-restraint. "None. I'm quite intruiged by the sublety of your stitching. You handwork is gorgeous. What is your secret?" The Sylvan tongued woman pointed to the only black dress that earned enough merit with her to be put upon a display. "This one is lovely..." The same dress had attracted Ashlotte, who was crooning about the line of lace at the hem and capped sleeves. "Ill take this one."

Before Kiruku's lips could move, the honey brown haired empath yanked it off the display. "Guess it'll go fast if someone wants it enough." The elf Kiruku's elder sounded menacing, almost relaying the words in a threatening manner. Her colorless lips adopted a rather ugly smile, and in a flash it was gone. Kiruku felt a sense of danger that she couldn't ignore. An unseen hand grasped her heart, another softly sliding up her arms as to cause the hairs to stand on end. The Bard looking about for any signs of trouble, prepared herself to grab Ashlotte and abandon the shoppe in a hurry. Ashlotte, engrossed in the elaborate stitchwork of the garment, attempted to haggle what she felt was a decent price. The particular words used of the Elvish dialect sounded angry, even though the shoppekeep radiated no fury for Ashlotte to feel if her empathic abilities were in proper working order.

The young woman slammed down a few gold pieces on the table and was out the door before her elven companion could notice. I'll be seeing you again." The woman clucked. "I aplogize for taking so long, I was just pondering." The elf stated as if she were a vocal instrument for another entity. "I didn't want to distub you in your ponderment. What happened?" Again Ashlotte got the cold shoulder, several moments passed before Kiruku uttered a reply in a voice wholly foreign to her. "Danger, in the shoppe." She shook off whatever could have shackled her freedom from using her own vocality. "Danger, in the shoppe." She repeated. Now clad in the color of darkness made into sewn fabric, of which she was too eager to wait until she went home to try on, she wondered if the shoppekeep would be angry to find her last clothing laying upon the floor of the dressing stall, in a crumpled lump. "You know, I think black compliments me more than white. I really think it brings out my eyes, my hair. And look how slimming it is."

Kiruku's look was a preceeding emphasis upon her reply. "What you speak of is Vanity. Evil can get in that way, if one has too much pride or vanity." Ashlotte agreed. "You're not thinking of walking all that way to your meager abode, are you? I can't say that mine is a grand palace or anything, but it has better furnishings. Kiruku's house squatted at the corner of town. It was no palace but it was a comfortable, quaint domain. She marveled at all the portraits and knick knacks that filled the interior, curtains made of decent quality cloth instead of burlap. She wasn't used to seeing such things, and was drawn to the porcelain dolls that sat upon the mantle and decorated her bed, along with colorfully embroidered pillows. "So how do you like the ol' living quarters?" The Bard asked in a feigned gleeful pitch that seemed so perfected Ashlotte wasn't able to compare the differences between real emotion. "Simply splended."

Her eyes continued to roam Kiruku's treasures. "How about some tea? I could try my hand at making dinner, but I must warn you that I tend to burn water. I know this bistro that serves the most tender lamb you could ask for. It's fall off the bone!" She chuckled, as Ashlotte approached the table to fix her tea. An odd mingling of spearment and lavender filled the air. "I could make dinner, if you wish." The Bard's body language said it all." No, my dear. You are a guest in my house. It would be but terribly bad manners for me to let you do the cooking." The Empath watched two lumps of sugar dissolve in her piping hot beverage, gently blowing at the steam. "You know, I've the perfect accompaniment for this."Kiruku then opened a secret cubby as to retrieve said item. "These were outlawed in the day." She placed a metallic box upon the table. "I could recall it without flaw."

Gesturing to Ashlotte to peek inside, the woman hesitantly followed her command. "Are these..cookies?" Kiruku nodded. "Keep your voice down, will you?" Ashlotte dunked one in the minty liquid, and took a small bite. "These are incredible! Absolutely superb!" She proceeded to shower the anxious Bard with compliments, until the elf's prious words settled in. "Why could something so delicious be outlawed?" Kiruku retrived a cookie for her own."Ah, yes. There once lived a witch..."Ashlotte's eyes widened, and she spat soggy confectionary biscuit everywhere. The woman opposite to her then shook her head, brushing a clump off cookie off of her corset bodice. "Thanks..." She replied to the situation in a sarcastic tone. "How can you still be munching away, without a care in the world? You didn't tell me these were..." She motioned about, her hands the likeness of a bird. "...cookies!" "Are you quite finished?" Kiruku placed the leftovers of her cookie on the saucer, opting to hold the strong concoction that Ashlotte thought was surprisingly pleasing to her palate. "Okay..to elaborate, there once lived a witch. This witch exposed the world to elixirs of all sorts. Upon the creation of an unruly substance, a particularly volitile concoction, she placed this potion rather haphazardly with the others. I suppose she was so preoccupied in mass producing her famous brews that she didn't realize the bottle was unstable until the whole shelf fell like dominos. The chemical compounds interacted with eachother and blew up in her face, causing flesh and fingernails to melt. Her nails resembled candy canes, her hair ribbon candy, her lips were said to taste of peppermint. She was known thenceforth as Candy Cayne." Ashlotte wore a small grin. "What were her teeth made of?"

The Bard's brow quirked. "Sugar cubes, when she had teeth that is. They would dissolve with her saliva, so she wouldn't have them for long. Can I go back to my story, if you are finished." With a nod of her head, Ashlotte promised there was to be no other interruptions. "The world over knew of her tasty treats, those that weren't recluses or lived under rocks."Ashlotte momentarily was the subject of Kiruku's sharp gaze, having once been down the path of lonliness she had chosen for herself. "It is said that she could create delicable candies and cookies by a mere touch to unworked ingredients, and she had unriviled talent in doing so. It was bad business for Bakers and such, but they were wise not to challenge her. Her sweets became tainted in later years, however. There are many theories to this, from a hardening heart to a darkening mind. Some say that due to her disfigured appearance, that she never found love and in result she never produced children. The Night of the Dead, where children dress as ghosts and demons..Candy Cayne was able to walk amongst the others without suffering the onslaught the harsh critisisms that would otherwise be hurled at her any other day. She was cloaked in red, carrying a basket of candied apples and chocolates. Their sweet taste masked the impurities within, and children were going wild for these confections. Their predessesors awoke to find them engorged of the very candy that took their lives. A riled up mob, they hunt this witch to this day."

"Man corrupted, and corrupts one another. Corrupts our own kind, false promises of wealth and power. Voices that croon in our ears, thoughts as tainted as Candie's confections."Ashlotte muttered to herself as she gazed intently upon the dancing flames, swirling the cold remains of her tea that was stagnating in the bootom of the cup. "Too wired to sleep, no?" Kiruku's jewel green eyes fluttered open, upon hearing Ashlotte's mumblings. "Well, how about a visit to the tavern?" Her question traveled the space between the two women, and started Ashlotte so that the tea cup almost went tumbling to the floor. She was able to save all but the cloudy liquid within. "Oh, I'm sorry to have disturbed you." She replied, looking for a means to wipe the dampness from her dress. "Sleep isin't nessesery to sustain my life, dear." Kiruku crooned softly.

"Let us away, to what trouble we can get ourselves into!" The Elf spent a moment affixing her hair and clothing, and pulled Ashlotte out of seat she was slumped in. "I have the perfect addition to your dress." She removed a hat box from her wardrobe, containing a feminine version of a top hat with feathers and veil. "It's so pretty." Ashlotte breathed. As they were out the door, she turned to Kiruku with a question that had been nagging her. "How do you know so much anyway? About the vile one and Candie Cayne? She chose her words wisely, as not to make a mistake of speaking the name Ravenwitch again. "Well, I was a minstrel in my previous life. It was my job to know fact and rumor, and even though I shedded most that I was before, I retained the knowledge inside of me. Even though I broke free of the crysalis anew, not Gods nor man could strip you of your knowledge." They reached the square, of which all directions seemed to be blockaded by crowds of people.

The dirge singer realized what was about to ensue, the deaths were predestined long before their arrival. The names of the unfortunate souls burned in her mind like flaming scrawlings, as if her very brain were parchment, penned by the Devil's paw.Ashlotte had not a clue. Her gaze quickly darted about, searching faces as if to catch words upon their lips. A chorus of cries that bellowed to the heavens, curses heaved at the stage. She couldn't tell if the stagemaster what the target of the verbal lashings, or the five people that were in irons. The stagemaster was brightly clad, oranges and reds and yellows that weren't a fitting collor combination. At her cue, a raven haired woman twirled about and flipped into view. Ashlotte implied by her acrobatics that this was some sort of a festival, strangely taking place in the dark. "I have found these folk to be held accountable for keeping vile venom in their homes!" He removed his top hat as a gentleman would, a bouquet of blood red rose blooms peeking over the brim. The acrobat untied a scarf situated about her neck of the same color, silken fabric being drug across the throats of the bound and unwilling.

A thick cut of red started to bleed down their necks, staining their attire. "Behold the guilty! Behold what attrocities they harbor!" Scarlet colored gloved hands worked swiftly to reveal what had been hidden from the audience. "They loosed venom within their homes, this vemon spreads like pools of blood from the dying! The stain of evil cannot be cleansed! They are in league with the -witch.- They are her consorts!" The clown like individual spat vehemently, an accusatory finger frozen in place at the prisoners. The tanned, taut woman with hair of black silk and an abyssal gaze chortled as she began to swing above the fearful group. The heavy wooden seat came undone on one side, fraying rope having been the culprit. Her shoulders bobbed in a shrug as she was falling, and the woman proceeded to somersault into an almost too eager crowd to catch her.

"Such inhumanity. Such indecency. Parading about in peekabo robes, preying upon the lusts of men. There is no shame in this world." "You are right, Miss." A bubbly voice called from behind her. "Just let yourself go! Pulchritudinous you are. We can prey on the passions of men together!" If Atone's curse would have spared her emotions, disgust would have been plastered upon Kiruku's face. A phenomenon of which either had never seen before then occured. Wisps of a black, smoke like substance bursted outward from Ashlotte's breast, although it it left her free of physical wounds. Her tea colored eyes ignited with fire. Sudeenly, the audience persisted to scream at one another, women young and elderly alike hurling the words -whore- and -cuckhold- at each other. The men turned arbitrary as well, spewing the type of curses they would after becoming drunk on mead and ale. "You copulate with pigs!" "Watch out what you call your mother!""I'm going to torch your crops, damned if I don't!" Darkness soon touched the whole lot, and soon even the prisoners were attempting to strangle the next with their heavy chains.

The Acrobat, Felicitris, was lost amidst the commotion. Her agile form was trampled underfoot, leaving her dying and entombed by the provoked crowd. None seemed unscathed of emnity, people griped at everyone else of things trivial and not. "By the Gods," Kiruku observed the townfolk pummeling the ones closest to them. "I do admit that this is going to be a bloodbath." Extending a hand to the Acrobat, her arm maneuvering past the stomping feet of the violent crowd. "Take my hand and you will be at peace." The rickly robed woman instead shied away, attempting to crawl through an opening she saw. "I've seen you before." She coughed, clutching her breast. Her rib bones acted as lances to pierce her lungs. Heavily wheezing she continued, a pained look upon her beautifully painted face. "Your touch is as cold as death. Your hand crawls with the diseases of those long ago inhumed, the bugs which consume their decaying flesh. The skeletal hand of fate itself!" The woman with the hair color of a black widow spider shrieked, gurgling blood and sputum. The shriek momentarily disoriented the audience, leaving them pondering why animosity overtook them. Inquiring faces searched the others, as they seemed enchanted by something sinister. They were battling for their will against an overpowering entity that made them so hateful. The Elf's tenebrous tune flowed freely of her lips, overcasted any resentments that, at this time, were intensified by some unknown force. Her visage transformed, as if she were the dead risen. "You cannot escape your fate." An elven dialect echoed to the heavens, and any birds that shred the night sky fell to the ground dead. Beaks twisted and mangled, bodies crushed to the point that if not for the wings and feathers, they would be mostly unrecognizable. The people scurried about, as to look for shelter from the raining of the listless creatures. Ashlotte was frozen in place, she stood quite statuesque amongst the panic.

"Rune!" Renske snapped harsh as her tongue turned sharp enough to cause the elven demon to peek back over his shoulder; surprise reflecting momentarily to that of the woman companion that had been a fellow thorn in his side, blinking firstly. Though it seemed his attention was drawn upwards to that of the beings that had been there.

"What?" He wrinkled his nose to her as Renske's held a penetrating gaze to him; "Did I forget to bow or something, cause you can't pay me enough or whip me enough to bow to anyone of any standard, rather they can bend over and kiss my ass first." he shrugged it off nonchalantly causing Renske to exhale nosily to him.

Kiruku's arms were outstretched, her fingers seemed to orchestrate the conflicting sky, thunder bellowing in the distance whilst sunny and snowy conditions formed in an opposite direction of the airy battlefield. A bolt of lightning sliced through a rainbow.causing the vibrant hues to spoil and turn black. "Behold and heed the words I speak! The very heavens have opened a wound of which a pollution causes nature itself to wither and die! Someone has loosed such an atrocity upon us!"The comically clad figure announced against the storm. This is but one of the punishments of the Gods! Of Atone, of Andraste! We have angered them, and now we pay the price!" Kiruku became distracted by the stagemaster's words and her head fell. "Andraste's arse."

She spoke, shaking her head. "What an ignorant man. I would leave if I didn't have to be here. " She spied his rather ludicris performance, a book of torn parchments displayed upon the stage. Tins of aged confections having been smashed underfoot, reduced to powdery crumbs. "Whosoever harbors evil in their home, shall have a pyre waiting for them!" Shrugging out of his outlandish attire, he was dressed in a suit fit for a funeral. "There will be many funerals after tonight!" His direful cachinnation was strewn all directions, upon a roaring breeze. Kiruku's somber song found only those she sought, and most succumbed asphyxiation. Unison death rattles were a song in itself, as if in some ghastly competition with the drumming of thunder overhead. It filled Kiruku's ears, as always, and nothing she did could block out the horrid sounds of death. Strident wails and coughing were indeed the evidence of those that were submitting to their fate. Strange cries of those who not yet were touched by death petitioned deities of most incarnates. All of the active, nocturnal nature life that thrived this night seemed to die, as more stinking flesh and bone littered the town. "Can a fire be lit in this wind?" "What if the breath of the Gods extinguishes it? I know not how to appease them anymore..." Spoke a sullen voice. "You confess your doubt and lack of faith openly!?" A hushed whisper, then a handful of gasps. "You would join the other prisoners!" Said a rather rotund woman, french blue eyes focusing on the doubter. "But I too have transgressions of which I dare not speak. I just hope for this kindness, that I do not suffer condemnation of the Gods." Flashes of lightning scarrified the heavens. One stray, white hot bolt struck the stagemaster, causing a great tremor that rocked first two rows of the fearful audience.

Black coils of smoke exited the orifices that one could see. He fell to the shoddy, makeshift stage, his body breaking through with minimal opposition of the wood that was probably somewhat infested with termites. Both stagemaster and his acrobat were down, and a small assortment of the crowd, yet her task wasn't complete. Merely a scratch upon the surface. "This town shall be at peace. Death shall cleanse one of all moral debts, it is the ultimate remission." She slipped far into a meditory state, concentrating upon the power that surged though her. She was but an instrument, a vessel of death. A viscous, black ooze started falling from the churning darkness above, and Ashlotte's bewilderment was broken by Kiruku shouting commands to her. "You must go, it is not your time!" Suddenly the slender woman was aloft upon a wave of air, which took her forcefully through the door of the tavern. "Ouch." Her face was contorted in a mixed look of confusion and anger, and she was plucking chips of wood from her perfectly formed brunette waves. Meanwhile, plague came down upon the people in torrents, save for the ones whose fate didn't yet come. "What are we to drown in this filth!Filth ruinous to the body,destructive to the soul?" A woman coughed between the series of sores that painted her body in a gruesome depiction of divine punishment. "Atone, use my body for your will! I am but clay for you to mold however you may wish!" Kiruku was covered in what she wholeheartedly believed to the be the outpouring of righteous judgment, yet somehow refrained from taking ill, even as the others were dropping like flies. Through Kiruku, the scorn of the Goddess was awakened. She dare not question the nature of this contempt, of this wrath. Not that she ever would, lest she too would fall victim to such punishment.

When the deed was done, the town reeked of disease and decay. Those spared of the goddess' vengeance proceeded to make reparations to the town, to remove what was left of the carcasses. Although there would evermore be a pox upon the town, it would lay as a dormant stain. Ashlotte had been holed up in the tavern for four nights along with the Barkeep and the patrons selected by Kiruku upon her eve of destruction. The huddled by lantern light petitioning deities that seemed to turn a deaf ear to them, and sang songs as if to quell their fear. The ol' Barkeep told them stories of the wars that shook the land, innocent faced soldiers that died much before their time because a tyranical King wanted -quantity- not -quality- fighters in his conquest. The Bard later came for her friend, who was partaking in a drink offered by the house. She cleansed herself of the infection she had been drenched with in the process, a black, gel like substance taking several washings to be removed. When she arrived once again to the common room, Ashlotte was astonished to see that the carrot topped woman suffered no afflictions herself. "It is safe. My Goddess speaks this truth to me. People, rejoice in your life!" Her wild gaze fell upon all. "Should we trust her?" A voice could be heard from the right. "Do you think she's -possessed?-" Inquired another from the left. "We've been caged up like animals for four days!"

Spoke a man that had been using his sizable blade to cut four marks into the bartop. "If she's indeed possessed, she'll suffer the fire soon enough." Added a woman coarsley, as she gathered her belongings. "I cannot be bothered in the welfare of -witches-." She snapped at Kiruku, and slammed the door behind her. "Travelling the path of the Godess is never easy." The Elven woman uttered, closing the gap between her and Ashlotte. "You must be famished. Come. I know this great little bistro.." Ashlotte pulled back, as if trying to prevent limb from being grasped. "You know too many bistros!" She exclaimed, meaning the words to sting. First Kiruku almost took her life at her home, and now she could recount how she had a malevolent air about her as contagions fell from the sky that was summoned of her. This made her unstable, and if the brunette beauty were to entrust her life to her once more, she would be a liability to herself. "No, I'm fine..ate at the bar." She nodded, signalling for the Barkeep to agree to any story she came up with. "Ah. I see. The Goddess knows that because of your faults, most of the sisters died before their time. It is a failure unto me, as well. What was I to do with those poor souls that perished because of the misfortune you bring? I spoke of my short comings with Atone. I asked if they may be ushered unto the heavens anyway, for they had broken bodies." A surge of cold shot up Ashlotte's extremity as Kiruku's hand enveloped hers. "Do you wish to know the judgment? Do you wish to see?" She was being moved unwillingly toward the door. "You would be wise to ready your hankerchief. The smell isin't pretty." Indeed, the air wasn't scented of floral bouquets. Taking the dirgesinger's advice a little too late, Ashlotte felt the bitter taste of vomit sliding up her throat. "What an ungodly stench!" She claimed after succumbing to retching. "It doesn't really bother me." Kiruku replied derisively. She could see that mounds of sores had surfaced upon any exposed flesh of the ridiculously clad stagemaster. Black ooze covered his lithe partner, falling to the ground in wet plops as she was hoisted and tossed upon a wagon. Ashlotte became ill again looking upon sloughing flesh. "Ah. He was a ginger."

The Bard let out a small chuckle, having plucked the man's hat from atop his head. "Guess I didn't notice the other day." She continued to walk, cautious as not to step on anyone. Doing so would be an action of utmost disrespect for the lifeless bodies, and she knew the price one would pay for performing such a discourteous gesture. "Get the rest of this vermin off the streets, now! The smell is interfering with the enjoyment of my dinner." The contemptuous man was then upswept to the sky, the words of the Goddess causing his throat to tighten as if it were bound by a noose. "Despicable creature, contented in your iniquious existance, which you present unto the world as a pox! Can you not speak to confess or deny against the charges, do you choke upon your falsehoods and betrayals? Greed overunneth in you like the overflowing wines which had inebriated you. Sipping upon the poison, you've commited unspeakable acts against Gods and man." Atone's voice resonated so into the heavens that a rift formed, splitting the very sky in two. "Death bothered you at dinner? The value of your townkin was debased for the steak you'd obtained by stealing from a sickly old woman, her three children having to also feed on it? -You- were the cause of their deaths, bodies so emanciated that even the crows turned them away?"Her voice boomed up above, causing a vein of fear to spread and tremble down below. "Now you shall feed upon the dead for all of eternity. You shall never find the peace of death. The hand of rest shall never touch you!" With that, the man felt himself changing, unable to call out for help. In place of his mouth, grew the strong manibles of an insect, his bloated form began to take on a scarab like shape. He was to be a man no more, feeling no longer the warmth of the sun. He would live as a scuttling bug within the sarcophagi of the dead, a disease riddled carrion that would feast upon rotting flesh. Atone released her etherreal link, and he fell back to earth. This made the people jump about, others attempting to stomp the creature into the ground. "Disgusting vermin!" Was hissed by many, but the insect didn't linger, moving toward the cemetary for it felt the need to devour flesh from bone. "I shall not curse thee." Atone's visage was then revealed to Ashlotte, a mouthless mask that appeared to be made of porcelain, much like Kiruku's collection of dolls. "What will be shown to you shall be a curse of its own." She felt lost within the unfathomable depths of its eyes, as if she were drowning in Atone's soulless gaze.

Soon she was free of the apparition, although her body was still paralyzed with fright. Several moments passed where she couldn't even bid a finger to move, nor her lip to quiver. Kiruku eyed her friend, pondering what she could do to comfort her. Atone's appearance brought an amplified sun in tow,intensified rays causing spontaneuous flames to ignite about the town. People rushed about as to fill buckets with water as if to extinguish the fires threatening their homes and livlihood, Kiruku's gaze swept the area, observing the dire state of the enfeebled town."Let us away." She spoke to Ashlotte. "I've something to show you." "The town is in shambles!" Ashlotte shot toward the sky, knowing that the empyreal beings had to be listening, even if it was for entertainment purposes. "And what the hell is Atone anyway? A masked face in the clouds, too cowardice to show her -real- identity!" Kiruku's face was drained of emotion and color. "You're going to bring a wrathful hand upon yourself, if you persist in this matter. She is not spiteful, doesn't wish to cast suffering upon us for frivilous reasons. Whatever she may do, it is to cleanse the earth of sin." Ashlotte's curiousity lead her away from the burning town, to a spacious clearing.

"The man called Rune is there." Ashlotte spoke, deciding upon entering the neighboring town. But she spied a a statuesque Kiruku, arms reaching toward the heavens as if to embrace it. "I will not fail you again, Atone. I will bring down your wrath upon Ashlotte, if I must." She mumbled, in her melodic Elven dialect. Ashlotte's name was unmistakable, and she threw an angry look over her shoulder whislt scanning the vastitude of dying grasses and plant life. (What am I out here for? What could be so special about grasses that no longer thrive with color?)Then she saw it. Movement in the distance, a flash of some article of clothing, hair waving as if were a banner in the breeze. Ashlotte looked about her surroundings for a fast getaway if this was to be some sort of ambush. The people neared them, encircling the two women. They didn't seem hostile, the defunct individuals stood there, non operative eyes staring. Ashlotte feet unsettled by the situation, but there was no way to pass, no where to run. They wore the clerical raiments of the leveled church she had visited weeks before.Glass shards shone in the sun, as if flesh were facets for diamonds. "We...cannot...perish. The Gods...won't let..us." The feeble clerics spoke without conviction to their voices, only strumming hollow vocal chords. Fisted hands shook at the sky, as if they were cursing the very Gods that had breathed breath into their lungs at one time, which seemed so long ago to them that they couldn't even really recall the feeling of blood coursing through their veins. Ashlotte couldn't turn away from the most unfortunate souls that were cursed to roam the earth in broken bodies. Having been pelted with glass in their living state, the crowd crept closer, forming a tighter loop about Kiruku and Ashlotte. Their robes were stained with the very blood that was once housed within their feminine forms. "What are they?" Ashlotte was flabbergasted, also sickened at the condition of their bodies. "They are in a sort of limbo, a perpetual paradox. They are not living, nor are they dead. But still they roam the earth just as the living do. They are cursed to walk with their torment at least until it is time to meet their fate. I am not really sure how it works. It is a design of the Goddess."She simply shrugged, leaving Ashlotte pondering. "Not even a million sacrifices and prayers would merit you to escape this fate if you were to break her designs. Those that lost their lives to suicide, or met an untimely fatal tragedy too roam the earth in a stupor. All at the grace of the Gods, I suppose." Kiruku turned to her friend, the funereal looking dress she wore was somehow striking upon her waifish form.

"The Gods shouldn't leave one shackled to the material world if they don't really belong here." Ashlotte's sharp tongue had lashed out to the deities, Kiruku peeled away from her as if she were the target of their wrath just by beong in her company. "They're not even human anymore. Why can't the Gods spare them of such indignity? They showered the Gods with worship!" Kiruku motioned for the clerics to step back and they did, as if their limbs were moving in a marionette fashion. "Man had exiled these...creatures...to the forest, creatures not much diffeent from any other, they were banished to be out of sight, out of mind." "Well why don't they just walk back in town and..." Kiruku shook her head, a blank face was directed toward her naive companion. "They know they have no more business with town. Their only obligations now are with dying a real death, not this -facade...-." "Motioning for Ashlotte's attention to be drawn to their feet and hands, she added a bit more infomation. "They have dug the soil, making beds that do not want them." Coagulated blood upon their flesh were the stripes of battle, and these sisters weren't allowed an honorable death. Shredded flesh hung by tatters, and other flesh had become a feast for scavengers. They were but a ghoulish version of what they used to be. "Ew. I just bought this dress." She wiped furiously at the soggy hunk of skin that she now wore with her garment, using her fists in a scouring motion. Her right arm made an arc as if to descend upon somebody, and Kiruku's voice chimed. "I wouldn't commit an offence to anger the dead, dear.Fear doesn't reside in them.They have no more thoughts of their mortality, because they've already ceased to live! They are only shells of their former existance!" A strange , cynical laughter bubbled up from Kiruku, making Ashlotte nervous. "You don't think they'll follow us, will they?" Kiruku laughed again. "Of course not. They are bound to their resting spots." A days worth of traveling by foot took them to yet another town, this one overpopulated to bursting with bustling folk. They had to time their movements just right, as not to become trampled by the crowd. Kiruku was knocked off balance, her body wavering as the people didn't cease to help, or anything.

"Ahh!" A small scream was announced to the dreary townfolk as she succumbed to a massive wave of feet. Ashlotte attempted to squeeze through, catching elbows to the face from every direction. Soon the battered women found the tavern, having joined the crowd peacably instead of going against them. Like a sheaf of wheat, all uniform grain blowing in a single directional breeze. "Order whatever you wish. I'm going to rent a room and clean myself up a bit." Kiruku found the room and once in complete privacy she disrobed, revealing a body of web like scars. Raised rifts of flesh that was product of divine lashings, the heat of lighting bolts searing her flesh. Nubile breasts were formed of hardened, uneven skin. One lash per one dead of her kin.

nce she had metitated upon every lashing, she met Ashlotte downstairs. Her partner was in a talkitive mood, opting for a booth closest to the door. "Steak is tender, just right. " She smiled through a mouthful of food, then oggled Kiruku. "Something wrong?" The Elf looked as lifeless as the many corpses she had seen in a matter of days. "No." She sighed, giving her a curt answer. Contentedly munching on the generous plate of food before her, she contemplated mealtime subjects. "So..uh.. what happened with your clan? How did they die?" Ashlotte inquired, genuinely wishing to know what awful tragedy had occured to take so many lives. "Isin't that a rather morbid subject for you, no?"

"I'm sorry if I've offended you in some way, you've just not elaborated of the atrocity that befell you." "I have good reason to keep my secrets locked away. But, I digress. Share them I will." Ashlotte seemed so interested that she was at the edge of her seat, her dinner pushed to the side and ignored. "I was just a well oiled cog in my colony. I wasn't borne of royalty, but was rich in the knowledge learned of my occupation. My elven lineage thrived, we were a pure and humble people.. adapting to the life around us. Somehow the malignant vein of sin grew in all of us. Atone intervened at our worst, trying to change us...to purify the sickness in us.She couldn't combat the hate in them, in me. So she left us to destroy ourselves, the evil force grew and grew, provoked by the vile one. Atone came one more, featureless visage hiding the scorn she felt for all of us. When the cataclysm occured, there were two forces working in coalition, even if didn't realize it. Atone's need for the atonement of our people, and the vile one's need to rend mankind into extinction." You know the Priest went insane, right? Paddywagon came for the poor old gal one night. She was to never see light again, stashed away in some dank old prison like a criminal. Possibly she was. Did you hear about the Sisters? They were slashed to shreds! They say that she starved herself to death, Staving herself of food one day for every life she took." "Aye, and the church was boarded up so none may enter. Except for the rats, perhaps." A man and his woman friend were chatting loudly, causing the fluid motion of the tavern to cease. The smacking of lips over one's food, and the general amount of noise emitted from the two caused for stern looks casted in their direction. "I cannae hear the bubbles in me ale!"

Shouted one individual, who seemed to prefer an alcoholic substitute of all of his meals. His rather thin salt and pepper beard becoming wet with the spillage of his ale, his eyes were those of a traveler, wise to the world beyond town. "I cannae hear meself think!" Ashlotte ignored the intoxicated fellow and gestured for Kiruku to continue her tale. "Well you've only yourself to blame now! Noone else was talking!" A woman spoke, her childish visage that belied her years mentioned. "Aye, what would ye know, lass?" He stumbled toward the door, raking up a hefty charge on his tab for the tankard which was also walking out the door. "Oh, bother." Said the serving girl with an exasperated sigh, looking to the Barkeep. He shook his head, signalling to her to allow the drunkard on his way. "The Gods no longer dwell in that structure. It is holy no more."Kiruku's voice broke through the silence, causing all eyes to be focused upon her and Ashlotte. This caused some to reflect woefully, anger bubbled up in others much like the froth of their bitter beverages.

"The Gods reside there! You are a blasphemer! Who are -you- to say whether or not they still reside there!?" The man started to rise, having played out in his mind a unerred scenario of grabbing the somberly dressed Bard, and dragging her straight to the guards. Instead, his rear barely left the seat and his head fell upon the table, heavy with sleep. Kiruku rolled her eyes. "My clan had commited trangressions against the Gods, and me. Sin had awakened the flame of passion in my sister and she ran away with whom I was betrothed. They had a child, borne out of wedlock. I've heard such rumor that they drowned it in the river, but to this day such detail isin't certain. Simply put, when the time came for cleansing, I sat back and watched it all happen. I was damned for my decision. With that, I had commited a sin equal to my kinsfolk. It was almost like, killing them myself."

"Well;" Rune tucked his hands behind his head, leaning back on the chair he had sat in rocking on the two back legs as he had crossed his boots on top of the table, Renske busied herself with stressing to put strands of hair back into place upon her crown. "All in all, whatever that thing of a being was that acclaimed it was with a god or whatever was nothing more than hot air." he was smirking as he had his eyes shut.

"You are being full of yourself Rune dear." Renske fussed tossing a bit of a glower at him. "You know naught what she could do and what hell she brings along in her wake. She is a rise of evil in which you feel safe in insulting."

Rune made a grunting noise;
"I've seen scarier shit coming out of the dish cupboard in the middle of the night than that." he waved it off easily; "You made it sound like the next age of death was coming only to leave me rather disappointed in the end. At least next time make it interesting with puppeting bodies rising from the brush work and severed heads floating or something."

"Rune." she scolded; "You prattle and mutter against things you do not understand, unless you are hoping to encur her wrath, I suggest you pinch your lips."

He opened his hands;
"And black lightning will strike through the roof, etching into my flesh while the skies become pregnant with bloody rain that shall scourge the land of life." he mocked with a flapping hand; "To hell with it all."

People nervous about them as a pair had been looking towards them, as Renske slapped a palm to her forehead, her tongue nimble around the ancient dialect of her own former shell of an elf all the while she peered through spread fingers at that of the smug beast.

The following morning, after a pleasant sleep in one of the Inn's rent rooms, they were out and about to visit the local shoppes. The Blacksmith was a gentle soul, letting them try his wares as they did in a comical fashion. Suited in iron that was weighty enough not to permit them much movement, they tried to draw upward weaponry that was drug through the earthen floor. A good, hearty laugh was had by all. "Ye dainty lasses in shiny metal cans!" It took a while to remove each piece of armor they donned, and their travels took them to the general stores and dress shoppes. They spent the day haggling over items they didn't mean to purchase anyway, glancing to one another in the square and speaking the words in a sing song voice. "I know a great little bistro!" And spilled over in laughter. Something happened in Ashlotte then, and soon the people around them too, fell to the ground in a fit of laughing.

Innocence that was tainted with evil flowed from her in waves, carrying the others out in a tumultuous tide of blackness. Soon the sound of their laughter changed, it became twisted and derisive. The power of their hilarity was so strong that the people were becoming harmed, biting their tongues and knocking out teeth from their clamping maws. It seemed as if they sought to reject the dark force that was now inhabiting them, but they were weak to its will. The women clawed at themselves through the bout of laughter that would not release its hold, and the men began to choke upon spittle and blood. Ashlotte surveyed the bizarre occurance in terror, Kiruku in a strange fascination. This terror broke the spell, as her reverse empathic ability no longer had the adequate fuel of its host. They looked upon the mass of bloodied faces, lips swollen and mangled, pieces of tongue and teeth dribbled down thier peasantry attire.

As the people tried to speak, it came out in a ruined, distorted sense. Kiruku, unaffected herself by the outburst of sinister energy, turned to Ashlotte. "Let us away from here, as I may have to return for these unfortunate souls at a later time." The look of terror was affixed upon Ashlotte's face for quite a while after, piquing curiousity at the least in those that saw her. "It is amlost spring." Kiruku tried to engage her in conversation, after ordering them both some peppermint tea. "The fields will be full of blooms, and we will be able to go swimming and lounge in the warm breeze. The frigid grip of winter won't take the people to sickness, not until next year." The words hit Ashlotte's ears, but she was unmoved by them. However, the peppermint that perfumed the air made her thirst for the drink, and she sipped at the steaming beverage quietly. "Co'mon, dear, the land far and wide is plagued by strange instances. The very soil is cursed, and all that grows on it, I imagine. The trees that were cut down to build houses, the food one puts on the table. It all vibrates with horrible energies, blemished memories. It infects everything with its evil."

The droll of the tavern talk was then interrupted by the forceful intrusion of several people, a man speaking of damnation and his following. The door was broken into, as if the people used their own bodies as battering rams. "We have been afflicted by the evils of a witch! Behold these people laying in the streets! What else could have gotten such a stranglehold on these hapless souls? None other than the evil spewings of a witch!" His dark eyes seemed alivened with the firey flames of the Hell he spoke of, casting a damnatory gaze upon the people that temporarily resided there as long as their tankards were full. "A blackhearted witch! We must not suffer this witch to live!" A woman replied that she awaoke to an empty kettle, she prepared a cup of tea and no water poured from the spout. "A witch stole your water, as to thwart you from enjoying your morning brew!" A rather hungover gentleman in a coat that reeked of mead popped open a slate colored eye. "Well the 'tender mixed up my drink order." His words were laden of a drunken slur. "He must be a witch!" The air of the tavern was further staled by another voice. "I overheard Brigidine consorting with familiars in the dark of the night!" The woman whose moniker was spoken rose and threw her tankard at the offending female. "I was feeding my livestock, you sot!" "You know, I heard that the seamstress of Rose's dress shoppe stitches curses in her clothing." The gasp came from a man who carried himself in a feminine way. "The threads are soiled with her blood!" The man that had provoked undue paranoia in the group, book held high, started his sermon. Kiruku looked to Ashlotte, urging her to finish her drink so that they could leave. "It's turning ugly." She claimed softly, as the Reverend provoked the crowd to the point of hysteria. "...Birds at my windowsill, they are harbingers of death, they are!" "What of the bug that bit me as I was tilling my garden? I've felt sickly since. My roses are riddled with the disease of a witch's breath!"

The two women across from one another shared their gossip, as the Reverend's voice bellowed within the walls of the fragile tavern. "The Gods will smite the hand of evil that has swept across this territory! We must fear the awesome power of the Gods, hold fast to our faith!" "I think he is a witch, he is!" The Bartender yelled across the way. "Evil can distort the words of the Gods!" Ashlotte gazed at the fanatics, rolling her eyes. "Is this to be a witch hunt of sorts? Or are they just lacking oxygen to their brains?" "I will get the pyres ready!" Screamed another, who chose a more dramatic approach to his exit. He brushed the remains of the window pane from his coat, shards shining in the sunlight littered the floor and a table. The fresh faced youth was on his way, minus the hat he had left behind, his collar length black hair tousled by the breeze. "Black hair! The mark of the Devil!"

Soon after their stent at the tavern, the townspeople were subdued by the combustion of pyres that they were all became bound to, as a result of the crazed thoughts of fanatical peers, or an even more difficult task in wrapping themselves about the towering pillars of wood. However more crudely the ropes snaked about their bodies, it would suffice as what would be to come. They opted for a free hand, in which they could light the pyre next to them, and they had perished for naught. As the flames climbed their forms, big and small, they were far too gone to realize that they had martyred themselves in vain.

The billowing smoke from the town carried the stench of burnt flesh, the black cloud of death errily resembled the grotesque image of Ravenwitch's face. Ashlotte couldn't tear her gaze from the loathsome visage that patterned the sky. "Do you think she has her revenge?" Kiruku gazed blankly over her shoulder in the direction of Ashlotte. "Revenge never dies, unlike those people. More souls as fodder for the unending blackness. I wasn't called to usher them to the heavens, so they are shackled to this plane, much like the Sisters you've beheld." She shook her head, a mixture of disgust and sorrow would have touched her heart if she were allowed any feelings."On to the next town, I suppose." Uttered Ashlotte, starting unknowingly toward the great city. "So, what's it like being a death..dirge.." "Dirgesinger is the appropriate term." Kiruku finished for her. "It is like touching one with the breath of life, only backwards. They fear, which is most understandable. My power emerges from my entire being, not just a small part. My song can travel a distance, if one blocks their ears, it'll resound within to destroy from the inside. I could imagine that it's a terrible way to go. The chill of death lingers in my flesh, and I can rend one out of body with a touch. "What about that flute? Does it have... deathly properties as well?" Ashlotte swallowed hard, nodding toward the gnarled instrument Kiruku always kept at her side. "I never see you play a tune on it." The Bard looked to her side as if a foreign growth sat there, feeling very apprehensive about answering that particular inquiry. "I ..found it. It wasn't a flute at first, I had to alter it into the likeness of one." After several moments of awkward quietude between them, she resigned with a sigh. "It is a relic piece of the nafarious organ, an infernal instrument which plagued the air with its ungodly spellcraft."

Ashlotte's brow quirked. "Oh? She could not incant on her own?" Kiruku's head bobbed in a nod. "She could, but her wife could not ever muster up such power as to compare herself to the vile one. Overtaken by greed, she was. She sought the power of all the world, the greed a delectable nugget, a treat for the vile one. She fed off of the sin that had inhabited the witch, as she allowed herself to become a comfortable host. That's why the wicked instument was erected. Every key, an utterance of whatever incantation she may need." "She married a woman?"Ashlotte had not heard of such a sacrilege. "It was just a sinful union, and Destiny was never seduced by passions or succumbed to her desires. It was more like a business arrangement. I've never tested the flute though. I'm afraid of what may happen. It is said that there are pieces like this scattered throughout the world." Kiruku gently caressed the small, bone like flute as if any firm touch may cause it to disintergrate to ash. "It is said that the organ was destroyed in the fallout of the cataclysm, but I know not if that's really what happened." Kiruku eyed her friend, showing a stiff smile. "It is best not to chance it because of curiousity."Ashlotte nodded. "So, what of your life prior to being a wanderer?" The question was directed at the female who was tousling her honey brown hued locks. "I don't remember a thing. I awoke one day and -poof- I was here. A target of more than my share of robberies, I might add."

Kiruku pondered a moment, and finally answered "Remember, the memory scape is not a playing field for Gods, nor man. You memories are there, just muddled up and hidden away. Seek hard enough, and you shall find the answers you are looking for." This lifted Ashlotte's spirits, although she beamed as emptily as a smile chiseled upon a statue. "There are a few cities I know of. As long as we don't cross the gate of the Golden City, we shall be have all the welcome and hospitality we need."The duration of their trek was shortened by a ride upon a carriage that also traveled the road. Kiruku gushed in appreciation, handing the wagoneer four gold pieces. "Cleavage and Coin." Ashlotte mulled the title over. "What a disturbing name for a tavern." Kiruku added "I agree, they could have done better." They entered to the collective noise of drunks and minstrels, a stage act of dancing girls twirling about until they were dizzied. It seemed more cleanly of the ones they had visited, rats weren't drunk upon lapping up spilled ales, floorboards didn't creak upon one's footsteps. There was a wide range of drink, generous amount of space in the common room, that was supplied with a grand fireplace. Even their feast was one fit for Kings. "I've never tasted cheese as flavorful as this, was the yeast a gift of the heavens?"

Kiruku slurped up her ale, greedily tearing into the meat of a juicy fleshed fowl. The serving wench approached them, flaxen colored braid hanging over her left shoulder. "Could I get you anything else, loves?" She leaned over just enough to accentuate her cleavage. Luckily, a chip in the wall caught Ashlotte's gaze. "No, we'll be fine." Kiruku stated sternly, looking past her to the dancing girls."Sure I can't freshen up your drinks?" She blushed, speaking through a sugary sweet smile. "I beg your pardon, dear Ashlotte. A higher calling calls me away. She slipped out of the booth, moving toward the stairs. "Ah, you know what they say about ale..you only rent it!" The blonde giggled girlishly, twirling the end of her braid. (She was called by a divine calling, not...to void her bladder, you dolt!) Her thought seemed to bounce of of every knook and cranny of her mind, she managed a nod and smile to acknowledge the other female. Kiruku's terrifying sillhouette stood in the doorway of her destination, numbing air seeping from the cracks and crevesses of the room. It was drawn toward her. Stepping toward the sleeping soul, the woman woke with a start, opening her mouth as if to scream. The Dirgesinger's hand extended, and the frightened female looked into the eyes of the intruder, her pupilae shaped like skulls. something then wrapped about her vocal chords like a serpent, and she found that all sound was cut off.

Kiruku leaned in, the essence of her death chant coursing through the woman's veins now, as her body began to shut down. Her windpipe became brittle and she began to silently choke, inwardly hearing her gasps and cries. Her heart beat in rhythm with Kiruku's song, like a drum. "Bodies are loaned to us, and I am making but a simple transaction. A life siphoned for the birth of another." The woman's mouth remained agape, as did her eyes, even as her soul left. Her face was but an ugly purplish hue. The Elf would visit two more tonight, her presence unwelcomed to all. "There will always be death and dying, so I'll never starve or be left wanting." Her words would go unheard by her expired audience. Unbeknownst to Kiruku, Ashlotte tagged along working as the Bard's shadow it seemed. She kept a close eye on the orange maned woman's death dealings, a look of great pitying upon the Empath's face, although the emotion itself wasn't present within her.

"You shouldn't have come. Death is but a private interaction between the dying and I. The wayfarers that have to be released from the body, they do not know where to go. I have to usher them into the next existance. So that they get there without incident or taking the wrong path to end up ....somewhere else." The somberly clad Elf averted her gaze from Ashlotte, hoping that the Empath did not need an elaboration on the subject. "I see. I do apologize for the intrusion then." Kiruku nodded. "A festival is going to take place today." She pointed to the sign which had given her information for such a conclusion, as well as the people that were busied with tasks related to the ?grand occasion.? Others were shifting about in the crowd, getting lost in the sheer overflow of people, trying to move from one place to another to flaunt their self stitched masquerade masks.

Ghoulish decorations were placed throughout the town and pumpkins were carved with the hideous semblance of creatures that would dwell in the deepest abyssal pits of eternal darkness. People were dressed in the likenesses of witches and other creatures evil, Reverends had abandoned their churches for the day to take their sermons to the streets. "Abandon ye in your nefarious dealings, clad in the robes of iniquity of this sinister holiday! Disrobe yourselves of the sinful countenences, and come to the church to pray for your immortal soul!" Barely a soul had heeded the warnings of damnation, most just continued past without a look in his direction."Oft thou tred upon the path of damnation, but must thee continue in your guise of blissful ignorance, to turn a deaf ear upon my words of salvation?" Kiruku caught his gaze with a wandering eye. She elbowed Ashlotte lightly in the ribcage, as she was trying for her attention. "Damnation thee shall face, you and your -friend.- Pray that thee shall sprout wings upon your shod feet, that they shall carry you to the church expediantly. "

Kiruku watched in grim silence, Ashlotte observed unblinkingly, her mouth dropping open as a thought crossed her mind that insanity had gripped the minds of all the Reverends and their flocks she had been unfortunate enough to encounter. "Perhaps you should make your way ahead of me, Ashlotte. What comes of these traditions will not be pretty, and the stench of death will be likely to waft upon these streets soon." She made a 'shooing' motion with her hands, bidding the Empath to swiftly vacate the premises. Shortly after some lonley contemplations at the starless sky, when fog swallowed the ground from across the clearing, her Elven friend came to her side. "You know, I shall never understand the strange traditions of humans. A festival consisting of ultimately harmful activities from bobbing for apples and poisoning breads and pies and giving them out to the children, to those dancing about in the darkness clad in nothing but their own skin. And then the Church folk with their mucked up verion of divine justice." Ashlotte felt the cold settle upon her, causing her to shiver as there was no shelter from the bitter breeze. "What would something as simple as bobbing for apples prove to be harmful? Unless one didn't lift their heads to take in a breath out of the water or something." She finally blinked, shutting the eyes which were held open for so long that they stung against the back of the lids. "Oh, but it would indeed prove harmful in the true aspect of the 'bobbing for apples' concept. First, one would set a cauldron of water upon the fire until the temperature of the water contained reaches above the point of boiling, and unwitting partakers not savvy to such a fact until well..it is too late and the deed is done. Should I speak more of this?" A gulp slowly slid down Ashlotte's throat, having become enlightened to the real purpose to what she had previously thought to be a simple, somewhat fun looking activity. "Oh.." Kiruku nodded. "We'll get it right one of these towns. They can't all be bad, can they?"

"I would only hope, but hope seems to be fleeting as of late." "Ah, but you should never let go of hope, even if it is as small as a thread. With the loss of hope, comes the complete destruction of humanity." As night once again became conquered by the light of day, the traveling duo was met along the roadside by a stunningly beautiful blonde that was grossly underdressed for the weather. The leggy female wore a garment of which much fabric could not seem to be spared in its creation, its hem docking well above her knees. It was paired with boots of the same crimson hue, an overabundance of leather seemed to be used in their production as they stretched up and over the otherwise bare knees. Her flaxen hair was long, light waves tumbling down the length of her back. As the stranger neared, it appeared as if the dress had clung to her slim figure so snugly that it couldn't have possibly been stitched of fabric at all but that she was somehow bathed in blood. "Ah, I knew that this morning would bring travelers upon this road. It's not a road well trod anymore, but not totally abandoned either. A rare sight for it to bring one this way, but even rarer to bring two." Her voice had a throaty seductiveness that Ashlotte believed would have been a prized asset to dens of ill repute or of a sultry singer in a lounge that could afford them. "We weren't brought this way by choice, I'm afraid. There were some..rather peculiar events in the towns we've visited prior, and we had exceeded our welcome." Hellinka nodded. "Well, don't feel bad. It's just something in the water or something. Some bad blood..." The odd, sapphire eyed female chuckled at what seemed to be joke of which the punchline fully eluded her and her Elven companion in both comical aspect and meaning. The chuckle swiftly died upon her lips and she then made her introduction, announcing both name and occupation in the process. "I am Hellinka Darknau, a -Mage- of sorts. Normally I wouldn't be so quick to release the latter information to those I had just met, but you two seem to have some secrets of your own. And I don't see torches and pitchforks in your hands, so this also makes me comfortable enough to divulge my ..talents."

The Empath was mostly clueless, dumbstruck as to why Hellinka spoke of the carrying of firey implements in the day and Farmer's tools until Kiruku added under her breath.."Angry mobs..or witch hunters." "Ah." Hellinka stared at the duo for a moment, as if attempting to read their faces and body language. "May I add myself to your companionship? I've nowhere to go, and it's been a lonesome travel, as I was run out of the last town I was in. "Um.." Stated Ashlotte, and Kiruku shrugged. "Oh, perfect!" Added the Mage. "It's settled then." "I..suddenly feel very strange.." The Empath, nearest the blonde, announced. "It's like..I can't seem to to read anything from her at all. Like gazing into a placid pool, and not being able to see the danger underneath." Kiruku turned an eye in Ashlotte's direction, replying in a whisper slightly softer than that which had struck her ear. "We'll just have to see where this takes us. She could be a fugitive, or someone whose talents are just misunderstood in these times. After all we have witnessed, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that the Church itself has been corrupted by fanaticals. I can tell you from my own experiences that I have quite often had become a target under fire, sometimes quite literally." Ashlott gave a sweeping glance toward the new addition to their group, unsure of what to make of her. "I've never been in the company of a real Mage before. Are you like a court magician or something?" It was obvious that Hellinka became offended at this, having had her powers compared to the likes of a mere magician, appointed to the court to display her silly talents for the King's amusings."My powers reach beyond prestidigitation and the like, I don't pull rabbits or any other sort of objects out of hats or my sleeves. I am a Blood Mage." Kiruku's movements halted as suddenly as one would being stricken with rigor mortis, an aspect that could most often be viewed from her clients. "A Blood Mage? I thought there weren't any of your kind left!" The carrot topped Elf phrased in more awe tthan anything else.

"You know they've shut the doors to any sort of Necromancies. How did you come into having such power?" "Necromancies?" Ashlotte's inquisitory voice broke through, a flock of crows flying overhead seemed to literally turn tail in the sky and the sound of flapping momentarily drowned out the conversation below. "Prestidigitation sounds like some sort ofelixir that would sting ones palate with the after taste." "Prestidigitation is a fancy word for sleight of hand, magic tricks." "Ah." The trio was showered with the feathers of the black fowl, causing them to sneeze from the cloud of dander in the air. "Well, there is only one way one would become a Blood Mage. I paid for my power in death." Kiruku's recollection came back to her then, a vision of a crimson cloaked blonde placing a satchel of gold in a foreign hand and falling in death."I thought I recognized you." "I do apologize, but you must have me mistaken with another. I have never lain eyes upon you in my life." Spoke Hellinka, directing the comment at both, rather than a single target. "Perhaps in -life, - you may not have, but in death..." The female with the hair of finely spun gold rose a questioning brow, but Kiruku only nodded. "I am not so certain I understand." Ashlotte tossed an angry glance to the birds which had shed quite a many feather upon her, and suddenly the sky seemed to be filled with conflict. Crow upon crow, the birds became lost among razor like talons and beaks. "It was ultimately by my hand you had passed." Shouted Kiruku, trying to enounciate over the squalks of the furious fowl above. Hellinka shook her head, signalling that the Elf's words had become lost before they could reach her ear. "Let us away before they come at us next." Kiruku tugged on Ashlotte's sleeve, motioning Hellinka to start running for the patch of rotted out trees up ahead. The carrion soon became food for others of their kind, and the three couldn't look away from the cannibalistic acts they were witnessing.

"You see, there is only one way one would become a Blood Mage."Started Kiruku, rather ominously. "It is not an Arcane or innate gift. And it certainly isin't a Divine one. You must perish to be risen from death with it." "It's true." Hellinka's somewhat husky drawl was then heard. "I paid a Cleric to kill me and then ressurect me from the bonds of death. Of course the law of the Gods decree that one of their followers shall never take the life of another. So the deed was done by my own hand. I still have the scar. " She placed a palm flatly over her heart. "I was reborn of new lifeblood coursing through my veins. What an odd feeling it was. To feel a heart that had become still in my chest start pumping with life once again, ears deafened by the silence of death hearing the world around me. I didn't like it at first, but I am quite accustomed to it by now." Ashlotte stared at her stupified for several moments, before blurting a response. "Why would -anyone- wish to take their own life for this?" "Because of the -power.- I am not of this world, nor am I of the realm of death. It is a total freedom to walk the thin line between." They started on, moving South of the trees. Hellinka then turned the opposite direction, a swift pace releasing her of the company of the duo.

Hands wet with cleansing water dripped down his palms all the while he could hear her slapping at the water that still ran cold with the run off that was the winter sprig beforehand. They had vacated the loathsome tavern not too shortly after Renske had her fill of her meal and tedious melody of townsfolk drivel that ran fast and furious from mouths unclean.

Moving their tracks from town to town with little alive as of late; he felt restless though stories of rambling mad men came rushing through the village squares; bells ringing from the criers of devastation that was running rampant across fellow plains. Every time someone bellowed the words of God praying for the desperate salvation; he noted how Renske's very faint smile grew into a heinous twist. She enjoyed the fever pitch that the hopeless spoke of, seeming to become rather intoxicated from the stories of gruesome deaths and pillaged bodies that littered the grounds of most infested cities, villages and anything between.
Shaking off the remaining droplets of the cool water, Rune had spoken little - not that was uncommon - to Renske after the tavern; lost somewhere between his own mingling thoughts and the nothingness that haunted most people's souls.

Tucking the cloak tight around her frame; the deep raven purple hair caught the light of the fire that had been created to hold off the chill that still clung to some nights away; Rune grunted as he remaining kneeing to the side not bothered to make idle chit chat for the sake of chasing off the silence that hung around them like a cowl.

"The river of Styx must surely be filling with the souls that have been cast to hell by the devastation that has been plaguing that of the lands of late." she mused, her nails tapping to her bottom lip allowing the plush round of the lip to indent each time. "It must be a sight to behold."

He narrowed an eye while the eyebrow rose on the other;
"What in the nine hells are you going on about now? Honestly were you dropped onto your head as a child or was that just a quirk that came special?"

"Musing to myself;" she flapped a slender at him, "I assure you, it concerns you not."

"Fantastic." his tone was hallow with his enthusiasm; knees cracking from kneeling too long as his attention seemed to pry through the enclosure of trees, moss and tall grass they had decided to tuck away in for the evening. Un-strapping the worn leather belt from that of his shoulder to allow the scabbard to sag towards the ground, Rune let it drop with a metallic clink while hands pressed to one another; easing the pressure that sat in the knuckles of each finger with unison. He was bored with all this and was begging to feel that he was nothing more than a conveniently trapped creature that had been giving a collar, forever tethered to that of Renske without a purpose that was clear.

Once he felt at ease enough to keep his gaze away from the lurking darks of their surroundings, hands reached back to ball up on the shirt he wore, tugging it up and over which he felt eyes watching, causing him to glare backwards.
"Seems you have been whipped numerous times to get that many scars, Rune love."

Snorting at her, Rune made no comment back as he seemed focus his attention back towards that of the stream they settled by; dipping the cloth into the water to remove the itch it had from being worn for so long. Sweat, dead skin and whatever else he had imbedded into the threads, he had little desire to remain unkempt another moment.
"Certainly a fine sight to watch."

"I can gladly fix that for you; bet those golden eyes you have would fetch a fair price in the hands of the underground." Rune cursed back to her; huffing along the way.

Ashlotte looked over her shoulder, watching Hellinka's body shift with each step she took, Kiruku joined her in viewing the deserter, only with a twinge of lust in her eyes. She hadn't felt the touch of another for so long, ever since she had gained her deathly gifts. She could almost imagine the woman's body moving in time with her own, the smell of passions spent lingering in the air around them. The very warmth of being clad with another, the sensual tickling of the woman's hair as it grazed her skin. She drew her gaze to the skies above, almost in an act of mental pleading.

"Well, I suppose that a trio was short lived indeed." Ashlotte's voice rose just enough so that she could tease Hellinka's ears. "Well, she could always find us again for it is a small world, estranged peoples tend to cross paths once again. Especially now that the populace is dwindling. For now, let us away in search of drinks to quench the dehydration that crackles our voices." Ashlotte showed her agreeance to the notion with a nod. "Perhaps we'll meet up with Rune. He is an interesting fellow, quite aloof and inapproachable, but perhaps that would change." "Leave the man be."Kiruku spoke softly. "He'll seek us if he wishes."

Knuckles popped and cracked with the pressure exerted to them, as he wrung out the shirt he had freshly cleaned as much as possible; all the while the rhythmic hum of her tongue seemed to echo upon the cooling air; idle conversation had not touched either lips since he made his final warning to her about tearing out her golden eyes.

Though didn't mean he wasn't aware that the woman wasn't occasionally glancing back; almost as if she was checking to see if he was still there. In a way it seemed like she had taking a great liking to him though not in the way that one may have with another being like themselves, a mortal being- but that of a dog or a cat. He was merely some pet she found some ungodly pleasure in tormenting with her chattering and random moments of nothing honestly important.

Shoulders rose with the slow intake of air; filling his lungs with the cold sensation before it exhaled hot and heavy leaving a misty form to cling and disappear.

"This would be one of those moments were we start to get to know each other Rune;" her voice broke the silence that he had been comfortable with; his ears dropping while he rolled his eyes. "You know; you tell me about your past and why you became such a porous creature that seeks destruction and I tell you about the reincarnation that I've been through."

Rune lifted a brow as he peered over his shoulder marked with the symbolic markings;
"You take me as a person who gives a damn."

Her chin rested between two palms; eyes a glimmer with the light of the flame -
"Colour me interested then;" Wrinkling up his nose, Rune huffed a mocking laugh to her, "Always so tough and impersonal. Makes it difficult to find how what and who you really are." she pouted somewhat; the round lip poking up moreso than the top.

"Better people than you have tried and all have failed; I ain't about to give you diddly shit about who or what I am-" Rune threw back making the woman extrude an irritated sigh. "Glad you see it my way."

"I think you just need someone to fuck you and then you might ease up a bit."

"Offering?" Rune smirked now as she turned her nose up; "Didn't think so." he let the rolling chuckle toss about his chest before the silence took over again.

"Perhaps I'll snatch his very breath from his lungs, as I leave him gawking my shape." Ashlotte shifted her hips from side to side, her hands roaming down her contours. "Ashlotte!" Kiruku turned sharply as to face her friend, deadpan for a mere moment before letting out a small laugh. "I think he has a different inclination." Ashlotte seemed not to hear, for her eyes were closed and her hips in wanton swirl. "How well do you think he dances? Would he be blunderous, or execute an awe inspiring terpsichorean?" Her body ceased in swaying to the harmony in her head, and with an askew glance at the Bard, her lips adopted a frown. "I'm really not sure." Kiruku answered in annoyance.

She possessed no personal interest in Rune, but disapproved greatly of Ashlotte's captivation with him. Unrequainted love could be detrimental to the female, especially since she was over sensitive to the emotions of others. But what would the situation provoke of her own feelings? Would she have the ability to contend with them normally, or would something disasterous occur as a result of rejection? Would she harm herself, and others? As she mused upon it, she had not noticed that Ashlotte slipped away toward the town Rune occupied. When she surfaced from her concentration to realize she was gone, a long winded sigh escaped her. "Ah, curses." She felt she had no choice but to follow, her emerald gaze drifting sunward just in time to see the clouds morph into the ungodly countenances of Ravenwitch and Iamora, the very sigils of the vessels they inhabited. "Oh, it can't be. It just..can't be."

"Now you are just being a savage." She shook her finger at him right between his eyes as he swatted the very hand out of his face. "I merely asked a question and did not believe to receive such a absurd response."

Rune slipped a foot backwards as all the while his shoulders lifted and fell;
"Never said for a minute that I would give you a straight answer; I already made it clear I have no inclination to get onto the loony boat with you or start giving out details of a former life." he flicked her the head causing a surprised gasp to rise up as she feverish rubbed the spot. "Now dances with insanes, if you ain't guna be providing me with the service that so many women are so well known for, back up, back out and back off!" he hissed; this was getting ludicrous with her.

"Oh you heinous cur." she snipped still rubbing the sore spot on her forehead; "Can't even be bothered to pretend to be interested."

"No." Renske pursed her lips tight making the grim line appear over her lips before she spoke with a vile tongue at him. Though as she considered even swiping out at him for even laying a hand or a finger on her; eyes were drawn upwards to the insidious clouds that seemed to loom. "What communing with your spiritual gods or just listening to the voices in your head now." Rune lifted a single ear to follow her gaze. "What the hell is that?"

"Sin at its finest you could say;" she shrugged before watching he grunt and wave it off. "Where are you going now?"

"Getting out you out of my face;" Rune huffed as he scooped up the shirt he had laid closer to the fire, dressing it back over his frame - "Some of us have to fend for ourselves still;"

She cupped a hand around her mouth;
"Only because you won't eat something that isn't wriggly around in blood and mucus! You get your ass back here otherwise I'll make you regret it demon."
He flipped her off from what she could see as she gasped and scowled towards where he had been; though she knew he was only going a little ways out to feed on something that was stupid enough to walk around this late.
"Oh you stupid creature of hate." she fumed before her eyes lifted skywards again to the clouds that had been more than met the eye; allowing a smirk to spread over her lips.

Kiruku rolled her eyes, forcing a out a huff of air that was trapped behind tightly sealed lips. Hell and Sin itself were feeding upon the town, consuming all in their path. The Elf knew she possessed not the power to combat -Gods.- She was a just another speck in the cosmos, a rather insignificant creature upon this vast tenement of crust and clay. "Ashlotte, cease in making a mockery of yourself before the vigil of the Gods. You wouldn't wish to be a jester in their court, would you?"

The Empath's shoulders bobbed in a slight shrug."I don't care what they perceive it as, but I do care what he perceives me as. I think we got off to a rather poor start, him and I." Kiruku shot a retort her way. "Yes. He perceived you with foul impression. You were a drunken fool in his eyes, albeit no fault of your own. We do not have the proper tools to pursue it further, but I suspect that the distillery has been tainted. I suppose it was the work of some degenerate." Ashlotte made a beeline for the tavern, Kiruku's arrival postdated as she was left in comtemplation of ill fated town. "Rune." His name was spoken so softly, it would be like an itch upon his ear.

An ear flicked as he rubbed the itch away, though he seemed to be getting that a lot only remembering the words of tales; that someone was speaking of him. His maw wrinkled as it lifted from the ground; blowing dust and dirt away with a hard snuff; wriggling the black nose before him.

"If that is true, they ought to find a better subject to dwell on." he muttered through the cusps of his teeth.

Since when would he ever become a topic to be hold in a conversation for anyone, most people who had the pleasure of knowing him weren't usually around long enough to spin tales about him. There were only a select few he had no desire to tear a shred as of yet.

Curling the lumbersome paws through the dirt, pushing aside bits of moss and grass a single ear turned towards the town as he lifted the large head up, the white bone mask upon his face catching glints. Eyes of pale light peered through the cuffs of brush that surrounded the still standing town though it with the way the winds were silent, he wondered if this was to soon be another town that would be gifted with the presence of hell and sins.

Nostrils flared firstly before he shook out his head, allowing the long tongue to slop sideways out of his elongated maw; a familiar scent catching his nose.
"They couldn't have possibly made it this far out;" he didn't feel the bristle of ill fates on his flesh this time about, at least not that he was realizing. But the scents were still clear enough that he knew that those two woman that he had the displeasure of meeting a while back where close. Humming with a grunt; Rune scratched his chest, moving the fur back and forth. "At least she isn't plastered this time," though he recalled the deafening shout he had to endure from her sluggish demeanour as he growled to the memory. "Damnable cow. What in the nine hells would they be out this far?" he glowered with a snuff of a snort; "Maybe if my karma has finally worn out, they will be destroyed in the town as well. Two less worries to even think about."

Her affections began to dissolve away, and she was clad in indifference. Staring at him as if he were but a transparent pane of glass, she greeted him blandly, incurious to his response. Ashlotte's slender form occupied an empty seat at his table, without invitation. Her gaze settled briefly upon the faces of Renske and Rune, and then she searched the tavern for the serving wench, whom was not present. "Is anyone working this joint?" She copied his verbal mannerisms, as well as his non voiced traits. "Hell with it all." Kiruku lagged behind, taking the time to visit death upon those that time had ceased for.

The Empath stewed in her loathing, once again meeting the gaze of both. As they left, she ensued footfall. She neither complied or refuted any portion of their conversation, nor offered her own two pence. It was as if she were a merely an self opted addition to the duo, an intrusion upon seemed a moment shared between creatures more formally known to one another. Then, the foul tendrils surged through her, exiting her bosom like wisps of smoke. They were poised before the posterior of Rune, a petulous, incorporeal material composed of his own emotions toward her, readied to strike him.

He was less than amused to have her around even remotely as it appeared with his return to Renske; the elven woman seemed to sense his instant displeasure to that of the curious tea eyed woman. Rune made no point in address either but rather felt the need to vacate the place as soon as possible.

"Rune love?" Renske jumped up to follow after the man when he left without a utter of a word, sidling herself up to walk beside him. "What's bothering you now?" she smiled sweetly to that of him only to receive a foul eye back. "Excuse me for asking."

Eyes of both beings peered back to that of the following woman as Rune gritted his teeth turning himself right around to stop dead in his tracks, looking down to the woman he recalled that her name was Ashlotte.
"What the fuck is it this time, I know you aren't drunk you don't reek of the rancid shit;" Rune narrowed his gaze watching the tendrils coming from the girl. Creasing his brow, he scoffed to the things posed at him. "Showing your true form now, didn't realize it was an sex toy." He tilted his head somewhat to the right.

"Rune dear," Renske pressed her hands to that of his forearm allowing the icy touch to seer through him seeming to be more concerned for the half breed demon than perhaps she should have been.

Opening his mouth as he returned the locked gaze from those of the readied devices to grasp upon hers; the growl ripped through his throat;
"You dare bare your fangs at me without knowing what sort of hell you are daring to threaten girlie?" He slid back a foot to ready his own stance for her, knuckles cracked with him straining the muscles; "You'll only get one chance and you better make sure you kill me the first time, cause you won't get another chance!" He warned, his irritation solid in his voice while the idea of blood being torn from her inside seemed to fascinate him all at once.