Tales of Ice and Vine RP

• Thread starter The Wandering Magus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thalia watched as the selkie left. She began walking in the opposite direction than Leita had traveled in. Her footfalls were silent as she proceeded through the forest. Once about a mile from the tree, she shifted into horse form. Her speed increased and she trotted toward a long-vacant marsh.

Fay grinned and took a piece of pie. Everything that was being served tasted delicious, though she was so hungry anything tasted good. She decided immediately to get her clothes washed, and wondered how it would be done. She could not imagine the bunnies washing her shirt, and the picture of Alfonso washing clothes was too absurd for her. `Guess I don't really want to know.`she sighed. She drank a little wine, but preferred the water. After eating her stomach full of soup, bread, fruits and pies, she leaned back on her chair. "The food was really delicious, thank you again for letting us stay here. Where can I leave my clothes if I want them washed?"

Nyx popped another grape between her lips, she had a fondness for them.

"Your hospitality is excellent" she complimented. "As are your gardening skills, Mr. Green Thumb." She murmured. She stayed clear of the wine. She wouldn't allow herself to drink anything that might intoxicate her. That's exactly what Faery needs, a drunken Black Dog running about… She refrained the snort and stuck to the water Alfonso had described. After she ate her fill she stood. She felt no need to wash her clothes, it was only her fur in human form she'd just jump into the water after she removed her sword, glove and bag. "Might I bother you to write down what the Wise One said before you depart for bed?" She spoke, even as she dug for the parchment she had traded for.

Alfonso bowed. "It is a pleasure to have all of you as guests here. I am but a middling gardener, but I am glad that the food is pleasing to you."

He gestured to a small room in the corner with a low table inside, low enough that a brownie could reach it easily.

"If you wish for your clothes to be washed, simply place your clothes upon the table with a saucer of honey or milk and a bit of bread, then close the door. When you open it, the saucer and clothes both will be entirely clean. Pray do not ask about it."

He turned to Nyx. "Certainly. If you could place the writing implements on the table, I shall write them down immediately."

Fay took an empty saucer from the table and after some searching filled it with honey. She glimpsed Nyx and Alfonso from the corner of her eye. `I'm amazed he can still remember all of the objects we're supposed to be getting. I can remember only the tyrmin and something about a string. And the berry.` sighing at her bad memory she receded back to the small room.

She was glad it couldn't be seen from the table as she took of her shirt and trousers. Both of them were green, but had some stains in them along with some mud. She had no idea where they had gotten so dirty, but she was glad to get them clean again. She placed the clothes on the chair with the honey filled saucer and closed the door. As she opened the door after, a while trying to eavesdrop the two near the table, the clothes were clean and the saucer was empty. She put her clothes back again and stepped back to the table. She wondered if her clothes were washed by a brownie, and Alfonso told her not to ask, but she still wondered how it had happened so quickly.

Nyx dug through her bag as the summer boy spoke. Within moments she'd pulled out the parchment.
"I'm afraid I don't carry around writing tools with me." She spoke. She gave Alfonso a small smile. "I generally haven't a need for them." She explained, even as she crossed her arms on the table and tilted her head at the boy. Her dark wild hair fell with the motion as red eyes stayed trained on the being opposite of her. Again, she noticed a rabbit in her peripheral vision.

The rabbit blinked and hopped away to the kitchen.

Alfonso nodded, then walked over to a desk, taking out a reed pen and a bottle of acorn ink.

"Not a problem at all. Let's see, the words of Grandmother in her Grandchild's hands.

"A Tyrmin from the Kelpie's Cove,
The flute that rats it rabid drove,
A berry from Alfonso's hand,
A string from good old Bull-Head's sand!

"An acorn from the Rat-tusk's Tree,
And then shall I you pretties free.
A potion sweet for love I'll give,
And you your pretty lives will live.

"I think that's the riddle," said Alfonso as he finished writing down the words. "I think I know of where many of these things are, but... they might be just slightly difficult to find."

Fay returned to table just in time to hear Alfonso's last line. "At least that means we know where they are, finding them is already easier that way" she grinned to him. She glared at the list. The berry part was already completed, and if the flute meant the one she had, the only difficulty would be sneaking o her room without her mother noticing. But the rabid dove part suggested that was not the one. Fay sighed slightly once again and wondered how hard the task set for the pendant was going to be. If this one was proving to be a tough one, how hard would the one that really mattered be.

"Somewhat easier, at least," smiled the lad. "At least we will not have to search all of a million worlds just to find them. But the challenge of actually acquiring the objects might not be so simple."

He looked down at the list, tapping his green thumb against his chin.

"Tyrmin we know of, and the kelpie we met might be able to help us find it, if we could track her back to where she lived or something. Flute and rats... would that be the Piper? And a bull-headed creature... Minotaur... well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Nyx listened to the two summer halflings as they spoke. She was glad that Alfonso thought that they wouldn't have to go world hopping. She didn't mind most of the worlds, but she had a particular distaste for the human one. She reached up and tucked a strand of wild black hair behind her ear as she resisted the urge to begin to pace. She was in an unknown place and they were talking about charging into something dangerous.

"The Piper can only enchant rats, right?" The Black Dog asked as an unpleasant image of her being a zombie for a flute flashed through her mind. "As for the minatour, if the two of you think you;re sneaky enough, I can distract him for awhile." She offered. She wasn't sure how long a while was, but she was full fae where the other two where half, she might be a little harder to gouge through.

Thalia slowed to a stop once at the water's edge. She dipped her head down and touched her nose to it, then returned it to its former position. She walked into the water and soon became submerged in it. While stil near the edge, she snatched a few reeds and ate them. She stood there grazing for several minutes before resuming her swimming.

She travelled to the center of the wetland. It was more of a lake at that point. Thalia placed her hooves on the lakebed and breathed in the water. It was a nice change. Especially with nothing to guard besides her own being. Since the marsh had been unoccupied for so long, weeds and other plants invaded and competed with the silvery toxic plant.

She lay down on the muddy floor and thought. The strangers she met today interested her. In the morning, she planned on finding them. If they were searching for Tyrmin, who knows what they could be up to. Especially when Baba Yaga was involved. Her eyes closed as she dozed off to sleep, still uneasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fay nodded to their plans. "Wonder what a Rat-tusk's tree is like? I don't think I've ever heard of it before. And doesn't the minotaur live in a labyrinth of sort? If that's so do you think we could just make him chase Nyx somewhere in there and steal the string while they're at it. At least if Nyx is faster than the minotaur." Fay was sure that Nyx could turn faster than a heavy built minotaur, but on the other hand the minotaur probably knew the labyrinth like the back of his hand, so that might prove to be a problem.

"Ratatoskr," sighed Alfonso tiredly as Fay brought up the final challenge. "The rat-toothed squirrel of Yggdrasil. Or at least, that's what Grandmother's stories to me said, long ago. But that comes after the Minotaur, the monster of King Minos of Crete long ago. Though the legends of all of these are... rather conflicting."

He pursed his lips. "The Pied Piper never was too friendly of a fellow, quite stingy in fact, but as long as he got his pay he kept his bargains. That's what worries me. And..."

The boy looked at Nyx. "...he can enchant mortal children, at least."

Nyx blinked at Alfonso. Well, I'm not mortal nor a child. She reassured herself in her mind.

"The Piper would take gold as pay, yes?" She asked as her mind flitted back to the cevern behind the waterfall left to her from a dear friend. It was more than she could find use for. "Or would he even consider parting with his flute, is it not his source of power?" She asked, She'd never paid to much attention when she had been taking lessons.

Alfonso sipped a bit of lentil soup, thinking deeply. "I do not know. He is not the most charitable of fey, but... perhaps. He has shown a desire for gold in the past."

Fay wondered how much gold would they need to get the flute. Even if the Piper was willing to sell the pipe, he was sure to ask for a high price for it. After all, he did earn his living with it. She was glad that she could no longer be considered as a child, otherwise she might have been the only one the Piper could charm. fay picked a piece of bread and began gnawing on it.

Nyx nodded some.

"It shan't hurt to carry some along." She stood from the table and inclined her head towards Fay and Alfonoso. "Perhaps then I shall see you at morning's liht, maybe later." She spoke as she went to leave Alfonso's garden. If she ran the entire time, she could probably reach the cave, grab some of the gold in it's depths and be back sometime tomorrows morn. Well, unless she ran into anything, that may slow her down some.

The small hedge of friendly protective thorns surrounding the garden opens for the guest as Nyx exits; darkness and mist covers the Enchanted Woods, though the only dangers are those that have always been a part of the Fey lands.

Fay watched silently as Nyx left to fetch gold from somewhere, apparently she had a hideout. She yawned a little as she finished the piece of bread she had been gnawing on. "I think I'll go sleep for a while. If you are waiting for her, do you think you can wake me up when she comes? Though she probably want's to rest before leave to see the Piper." she waved to Alfonso while walking to the house. A squirrel appeared out of nowhere and and guided her to one of the rooms. Fay slipped to the bed without taking her clothes of, as long as they were clean, having them little wrinkled didn't matter. She curled up inside the blankets and quickly fell asleep without any dreams.

[[Is it alright to do a time skip? If not, tell me and Ill delete it.]]

As the morning sun rose, Nyx was ducking out from behind the waterfall, her bag now having a rather large sum of gold in its depths. She had never really had a need for the currency, she tried to avoid the court lands after all, and most in the neutral lands where alright with bartering. She set off at a run to get back to Alfonso's garden, starting at a dash and keeping it there for several hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.