Tales of Ice and Vine RP

• Thread starter The Wandering Magus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
((sure, if you want.))

The morning found Alfonso already puttering about the kitchen, humming softly to himself as the night animals excused themselves and the birds came by to help get things ready. A doe came in with a basket of freshly picked vegetables and set it on the counter before helping herself to some broccoli and nodding regards to the half-fey.

The wall of living thorns parted for the black dog as she approached, though she thought perhaps she could hear the chuckling of an old lady and the sweeping of a broomstick in the Enchanted Woods as she passed through.

Fay woke up to the sun shining into her eyes. She yawned as she got up. She had slept well, and her clothes weren't as wrinkly as she thought they might be. Alfonso was already at the kitchen when she got there, but Fay excused herself a moment to visit the back of the garden and wash her face at the stream. Returning to the kitchen she grabbed herself an apple from the table and sat down to eat. "Do you need help with anything?" she asked from Alfonso.

Thalia was up with the sun and she stretched her legs as she stood. She walked out of the wetland and onto the shore. Though she was very curious, the kelpie didn't favour the idea of paying Baba Yaga a visit.

Instead, she decided to return to her own home. Thalia walked through the woods, taking note of any bud or flower that caught her eye. Assuming it wasn't of the magically cursed or protected sort, she'd take it for future weaving.

The lad smiled at Fay. "Nothing pressing, but I suppose if you wish to, you can help with kneading and shaping the bread dough."

He cleared aside a position at the counter and sprinkled some flour on a clean board before plopping a small lump of dough in the middle.

"Or feel free to take a seat at the table, breakfast should be ready in a few minutes," said he cheerfully.

"I'll do it, it bothers me to just sit and watch someone else working in front of me." she uttered a laugh and stepped to the dough. She quickly checked her hands, which she washed in the stream not so long ago, and began kneading the dough. It was a familiar task for her, if she hadn't met Baba Yaga, she would had been kneading dough in the summers court. Her mother probably just though Fay was slacking off somewhere, and didn't really pay attention to her daughters whereabouts.

Alfonso smiled as they worked side by side. "You have some talent at this, milady Fay. We should be done pretty quickly at this rate."

He took some finished rolls and placed them on a bronze tray before sliding it into the oven for baking, then continued kneading.

"If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?"

Fay smiled a little at Alfonso's compliment. "You get used to it when you do it every morning. " she said sighing. "I grew up in a small village in the mortals realm, you most likely haven't heard of it. But since I'm a half-fae, my father thought it might be best for me to stay in the land of fae." she quickly glanced at the lad. "If you mind sharing, what about you? How did Baba Yaga get a grandchild? I'm surprised that she even has a child to begin with. With all respect." she fell quiet trying not to sound more impolite than she already did.

Alfonso smiled nostalgically, and a little sadly. "No offense taken at all, Fay. You speak the truth. But... she was not always as she is now. Once she was kind and gentle, young and beautiful at the dawn of the world. Whether she was mortal turned fey, or fey to begin with, who can say? But she found love. That love... I am sorry to say that the affliction of mortals is an unfortunate constant beyond the borders of Faerie."

He fell silent for a moment, then continued. "Be what may, mortals are as much to blame for Grandmother's grudge as her own personality is. My mother was the spawn of that union, and afterwards my mother was found by the alchemist mortal Cagliostro, who entered the Enchanted Woods on Midsummer's eve against the advice of Grandmother. From THAT union did I myself come."

He smiled as he put another finished loaf on the waiting brass tray, looking at the girl. "Thus do I live here, on the border of both worlds, neither fully human nor fully fey, but myself, Alfonso of the Green Thumb."

Fay stayed silent for a while kneading the dough deep in thought. It was hard to imagine Baba Yaga as young and beautiful, she was one of those people you always thought of as old and wrinkled. She very well understood her grudge for humans, if she'd have different childhood and personality, she probably would hate humans too. Most likely not enough to eat children, but who knows. Fay wondered Alfonso's parents destiny for a second, but figured she had already been nosy enough for one day. "Wonder when Nyx will come back. Think she'll make in time to have breakfast with us?" she finally broke the silence.

The lad chuckled. "I'm sure she will, Fay. She can probably smell our cooking right now, as a matter of fact."

As if on cue, The canine on two legs came bounding up to the greenery surrounding Alfonso's home. She paused, panting as she waited for the leaves to part and allow her access again. As she waited, she let herself lean over and brace against her knees while she waited for her breath to catch back up with her. As she did so, a pleasant scent reached out and crept into her nostrils. Something smelled good.

Fay grinned at the lad. "Hope so, the bread smells very good, and I wouldn't want to wait for her." she chuckled.

"Seems you won't have to," Alfonso grinned back as a butterfly fluttered through the window and whispered something to him. "She's right outside the hedge."

The boy's green thumb glowed slightly as he gently touched a vine that stuck through the open window; the glow traveled quickly through the plant around a corner, and in a moment Nyx could see a clear way to the front door of the house waiting for her.

As the clearing cleared before her, Nyx walked through while she shook out the random things that had gotten stuck in her hair or snagged on her clothes from her run before pausing to raise a hand to knock at the door as she did so,. Twas only polite to knock, right? She licked her lips, the delicious smell was much closer now. After a moment of waiting, the Black Dog went ahead and let herself in, The halfling boy must've known she was here after all. Red eyes landed on her two companions and a small smile twitched across her lips.

"Good Morning." She greeted as she walked further into Alfonso's home.

"Merry meet again indeed," smiled the lad as he turned and bowed to Nyx. "Please do feel free to take a seat, breakfast should be ready in a few minutes. I hope you found what you were looking for?"

Nyx inclined her head as she sat.
"I did indeed find what I searched for." She paused, inhaling the scent again and ignored the pangs in her stomach as it demanded food. "How did your night fare?" She asked the two.

Fay replied to Nyxes good morning, with a bright smile and a goo morning of her own. She was glad to hear she got the gold, and hoped The Piper would be willing to sell his flute.

"I slept soundly, though I wonder did our host slept at all, he stayed awake as I went to sleep, and was already preparing breakfast as I got up." Fay answered to Nyx half-jokingly.

Alfonso chuckled. "I receive energy from tending to my garden, so sometimes I have less need of sleep. But yes, I had a restful night."

He drew out the tray from the oven, now with golden-brown loaves and buns on it, then set the bread on the table along with spiced pumpkin oatmeal, muffins, bagles with cream cheese, and several glasses of coffee, tea, milk and other food and drink. There was also fresh fruit from the garden in a large bowl to one side.

"Breakfast is served," smiled the lad.

Nyx couldn't help it, she licked her lips, much like a dog would lick its chops.
"I'm glad to hear you've both rested well." She kept her hands in her lap and waited for the others to serve themselves. That was one thing about running long distances, it burned up a lot of energy, which turned into hunger. "So, after breakfast, do we head out?" She asked the two.

Fay helped herself to some bread and a muffin, as well as another apple and a cup of coffee. She had learned to enjoy drinking coffee in the summers court, and even though the coffee served there was milder and less bitter she relished the taste.
"I'm fine with leaving, if you're sure you don't want to rest for a while after running all night." she smiled to Nyx and grabbed some pumpkin oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.