Surprise in the Haystack

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Abele was basically silently screaming at this point, because this was so weird. It wasn't bad, though. That made it odder. He knew this wasmt normal, yet he found himself liking the contact. So he pursed his lips, sitting there and reminding himself not to say anything dumb right now.

When Abele pursed his lips, Jacob inwardly whined. He bit his own, resisting the urge to kiss them. They had looked so soft, they still did. He wanted to see what it was like...to kiss someone...to kiss Abele. But he couldn't. Even though Jacob didn't really think there was anything necessarily wrong about him and Abele laying like this, he knew two men kissing was wrong. He'd never seen it growing up with the caravan, but he knew deep down that boys like him were strange.

There was another pause, before Abele moved to get up. He did need to get a move on, now, actually. But, that was also a bit of an excuse. He wanted to escape the awkward situation, and the realization that this, all of it, wasn't normal. He didn't want to be faced with that fact currently, so he found it a better option to just leave.

"I need to get ready." He said as an explanation, as he felt he needed to give one ".....sorry."

Last edited:
Jacob felt the tension. He didn't know what it meant or how to change it. He could feel their mutual confusion at whatever they were feeling. That's when Abele said they needed to get ready. Jacob nodded, letting go of him and sitting up. He borrowed some more clothes and brushed his hair. He didn't speak much after that. He really didn't know what to say.

Neither did Abele. He practically sprinted out the door afterwards, though, almost tripping over himself. It wasn't that he was a klutz, it was more that he wanted to be away from the awkward feeling in the room. Work would probably help him forget it, so, at this point, he was all for working. Unusual for him, but still possible, considering the circumstances.

Jacob followed at a much more normal pace. He remembered everything Abele had taught him the day before. He grabbed the chicken feed, sprinkling just enough out for the chickens to eat. He put everything back and went to feed the pigs and sheep and cows. He was quiet for the whole day, not really knowing what to talk about. Jacob wiped sweat from his brow as the sun beat down on him. When the heat got to be too much, Jacob peeked off the long sleeved shirt and tied it around his waist. Jacob was naturally a tawny color, the sweat on his body sparkling in the sunlight. His cropped hair clung to his forehead, green eyes focused on his work.

Abele made sure not to look towards him, because he wasn't willing to get flustered again. He continued to work with the hay, and, after that, moved on to cleaning. All the while, he was practically ignoring the other boy, though it wasn't meant to offend anyone.

Jacob was hurt. Neither of them had spoken a word since that morning. He busied himself with work to forget about the lump in his throat and the pain in his chest. Once they were finished for the day Jacob couldn't wait to clean himself. He was covered with sweat and dirt.

Dinner had been the same as the night before except Abele's father was there. After dinner Jacob was able to cleanse himself. Once he was clean he redressed and sat in the bedroom he shared with Abele. "Are you mad at me?" Jacob asked.

Abele was already changed, and was currently just making sure his hair was fine. He glanced over momentarily, but it was rather quick. He didn't want to feel uncomfortable, but he couldn't just CHANGE it. He'd still feel this way, whether he wanted to or not.

"No, I'm not." He answered honestly "Just tired." the last bit was a lie, but he decided to just keep talking to cover it up "Thanks for the help again today, by the way. I would've still been working if I didn't have that."

Jacob nodded knowing there was something Abele wasn't telling him. "It's no problem. I like it," he shrugged. Jacob curled up beneath the blanket and rolled to his side, the opposite way he normally slept. He sighed softly and let his eyes close. Something changed today and he didn't know what it was. He just knew it hurt.

Abele got into bed also, leaving a good amount of space between them. He had been trying to avoid this sense of awkwardness, but obviously such hadn't worked. He hoped it would fix itself, eventually, because he had no idea how to fix it himself. He was never good with these types of things.

It had been a few weeks since Jacob had become a part of Abele's household. He had the duties of the farm down pat, as if he'd been doing it for years. There was still that distance between him and Abele. Eventually it became normal. He still suffered from nightmares but now that he had his own room, he suffered alone.

Jacob groaned as he got out of bed. It was another rough night with another nightmare he didn't remember. He'd acquired his own wardrobe over the few weeks he was there as well. Jacob dressed and finger combed his hair. He walked out to the fields to start with the hay. Five minutes in and he was shirtless and sweating. His shirt never lasted long with the blaring heat that had settled in. Jacob panted softly as he paused to take a breather. He was significantly more toned and tanner from his days spent w Taking as well.

Abele hadn't been there that morning, at all. He usually was, though he didn't talk much, and usually was cleaning off the animals, which is what he started with. The difference was that today his father needed to speak with him about one thing or another. So, he wasn't there for what seemed to be a good hour or so. When he did come back, though, he looked rather annoyed. And, as a matter of fact, he was.

His father had just sicced some news on him he hadn't been expecting. He was expecting to get yelled at for something. However, he was informed that he was now ENGAGED to some girl he had never met. Even though he would be meeting her later that day, it still wasn't good. He didn't want to just randomly get married to some girl he didn't know.

Sighing a bit, he dragged one hand through his hair, and decided to get his work done. He was getting his work done early, so he could get ready to see this girl, whoever she was.

Jacob had finished his hard work by the time Abele appeared. He noticed how irritated the other boy looked. Whatever it was it couldn't be good. Jacob finished feeding the chickens before walking over to Abele. He wiped his hands off on his pants quickly. "What's wrong?"

It was almost strange to talk to Abele again. Of course they'd exchanged hello's and things but actual communication was very low. Jacob shifted from foot to foot waiting for an answer. "It's sort of written all over your face," Jacob have a shy friendly smile. He leaned up against a pig pen, one foot crossed in front of the other, arms crossed over his broad, tan chest.

Abele paused, before sighing a bit more. He might as well answer; after all, Jacob was going to find out about it either way, and it would be sooner rather than later.

"The marriage....thing is happening." He replied, continuing to fill a bucket with water "Don't know the girl at all. So, yea. I'm a little annoyed at this."

"Oh," Jacob said in a small voice. He dropped his gaze, arms dangling at his sides. He felt a strange hole in his chest. He didn't want Abele to get married. He wanted it to like this forever. "So, uh, when...when do you meet her?" He asked trying to not sound hurt. He'd support Abele, he had to. He owed him that much for saving him.

Jacob wanted to scream. He wanted to beg Abele's father not to make him marry. It wasn't right. Abele didn't want to get married but Jacob knew better. Instead he plastered on a fake smile and tried to ignore the way his heart beat and his stomach soured.

"Later today. Gotta get dressed up and everything." He grumbled tiredly "I get off of working early. So do you, by the way, but you have to run some errands."

He poured the bucket into something else so that the animals could have some, and then set it back down, stretching. He wished he could draw out his time here, but he couldn't. He actually had to do this. And deal with this. And continue to deal with it. And that would be pretty awful.

Jacob put on a fake smile and nodded. His hands balled up into fists inside his pockets. He wants to hit something, or maybe cry, who knew. "Well, better get finished," he said straightening up. He pat Abele on the shoulder and went back to work.

Jacob finished his half of the farm work in the next few hours. He heaved a sigh, stretching his tired limbs. He grabbed the list of things he needed to get from the city from Celia. Looking at it he realized he may not be back in time to meet Abele's fiancé. He hated thinking of the word. On his way out he saw his friend. "Hey uh, good luck you know, with the uh, fiancé. I don't think I'll be back in time to meet her today," Jacob said rubbing the back of his neck. "Uh, tell her I say I." God Jacob felt stupid. He didn't know what to say. He knew Abele wasn't happy about the marriage and well, frankly neither was he.

Abele paused, looking at him for a moment, before forcing a small smile "I'll tell her hi for you. Hopefully if it's weird enough, it scares her off." He said, weakly trying to make a joke out of the situation. It didn't really work too well, and his smile died. Quickly, he retreated to his room.

Jacob watched Abele go and heaved a sigh. Once he left, Jacob's shoulder slumped and his smile faded. He shook his head and headed out. It took about and hour to walk to the city. Jacob wasn't going especially fast either. He wasn't in any hurry to meet Abele's fiancé, to meet the girl that would be taking Abele from him. Jacob paused, face flushing. He hung his head in shame, mentally berating himself. He wasn't supposed to think like that. He couldn't think like that.

Jacob mossied around the marketplace. He had a basket with him, filling it with the things on the list, checking them off one by one. He was at the fruit cart, eyeing the selection.

"Excuse me," a voice chimed behind Jacob making him jump. He turned around to see a girl around his age giggling at him. He flushed, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "S-Sorry." The girls blue eyes flashed with amusement. "It's fine really," she spoke with a southern twang that Jacob found enjoyable. For the rest of the day Jacob walked with Mary, he'd learned her name after their meeting, picking out the groceries both of them needed.

"So Jacob, where might I see you again?" Mary asked as they approached the gates to the city. Jacob looked at her surprised. He hadn't expected that answer. "You want to see me again?" Jacob, and his limited social skills, was quite happy someone wanted to see him. "Why yes silly!" Mary said laughing. "Oh, okay," Jacob said, flashing a smile. "Um, tomorrow," he said. Mary nodded seemingly pleased. Jacob turned to head home when she called out to him. "It's rather late, would you...care to walk me home?" Mary asked shyly. Jacob felt dumb. He didn't know why she was blushing but her nervousness made him nervous and a blush grew on his face. "Oh, uh okay."

Mary took Jacob's arm as they walked home. Her farm was surprisingly the one that neighbored his. Mary was especially excited to learn this. "I'll tell father to invite you over for lunch!" Jacob nodded just going along with it. He walked her to her door where she dropped his arm. "I had a lot of fun talking with you Jacob," Mary said with a smile. "Me too Mary. Uh, you're very nice," Jacob said scratching the back of his head awkwardly. Mary leaned forward, quickly pecking Jacob's cheek. "Goodnight Jacob." Mary disappeared inside as Jacob froze. His face was red as he walked robotically home.

Celia met him at the door, wondering why he was so red. Jacob looked at her, face only getting redder. "Is it a girl?" She whispered. Jacob nearly choked, beyond flustered. "It is a girl!" Celia gasped. "What's her name? Where did you meet? Is she close? Is she pretty?" Jacob wanted to crawl into a hole and die. He wasn't ready for these questions. "I-I uh, her...her names Mary. She's pretty. I met her in the market. She lives on the farm next to us," Jacob answered in a small voice. Before he could be interrogated more he retreated upstairs to his bed room.

Status
Not open for further replies.