Surprise in the Haystack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abele rested his head on the pillow and closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths. Once he had officially become less flustered, which took a few seconds, he opened his eyes again to look at Jacob and answer his question.

"It was about the sheep, as I had expected. Jus' said not to lose him again." He mumbled, before deciding that since Jacob seemed fine with the two of them sleeping like before, he could move closer. So, he did, and slung an arm comfortable around the other boy. It was nice to have someone nearby during the night, so even though he messed up, he was still going to take advantage of it.

Jacob felt his breath hitch in his throat under Abele's touch. It was like electric but he forced himself to breath. His heart it was beating so hard but he liked it. He placed his hands on Abele's chest, laying his head into the crook of his neck as he had before. It felt....right as he lay there, intertwining their legs. "At least you aren't in trouble," Jacob said softly, nuzzling his face into Abele. He liked the way his skin felt, his warmth.

"Mmhm." He drawled "Yea, there's that. I'll probably be working double time for the next two days to make up for it, though."

He was perfectly comfortable in this position, and didn't plan to move. He actually didn't see anything wrong with it; after all, it was a small bed. Cuddling like this was going to happen one way or another, wasn't it?

"I can help," he whispered softly. He let his eyes fall closed, allowing his body to relax in Abele's hold. Eventually he fell asleep, tucked safely in Abele's arms.

Abele soon fell asleep himself, arm still around the other boy. He was happy that Jacob was willing to help, because that would take a lot off of his work load, and leave them both with more free time. So, all in all, he was pretty happy.

The next morning, Abele woke up pretty early. He slipped out of bed, careful not to wake Jacob, who he assumed to be still asleep, and went to get his clothes for the day. This time, though, to avoid an incident like last night, he moved around the corner of the room, to a area not visible from the bed, to get dressed. He didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Jacob didn't wake when Abele moved. He was used to waking up early, but not as early as a farmer would. He slept soundly as Abele dressed.

Jacob woke up a few minutes later as his consciousness realized that Abele was no longer in the bed. He blinked, sitting up slowly. "Abele?" He called out, voice rough from sleep. He rubbed his eyes looking around the room curiously.

After he was done, which was a second after Jacob woke up, he peaked around the corner, and raised a hand in greeting. His hair was still a mess from sleeping, but he otherwise looked ready to take on the day. And, he was.

"Hey." He replied, smiling "Right here. Did I wake you up by accident? Didn't mean to."

Jacob shook his head. "No, no you didn't," he said quietly. He looked around, still not fully awake. He ran his fingers through his tousled hair. He watched Abele move around the room. He rather liked his hair messy. It was...almost alluring. Was that the right word? "Do we work today?" He asked. Due to Abele finding him, neither boy had worked the rest of the day.

Abele scoured the room, before finding the comb he was looking for and grinning brightly. Then, as he began to comb out his hair, he looked back over to Jacob so he could answer his question while he got ready.

"Yea. Well, I do. You don't have to. I work everyday, so......yea." He said, shrugging a bit. Once his hair was neat enough, he found a hair tie and tied it back so he would be able to see and his mother wouldn't yell at him.

"I want to help," Jacob insisted. He moved to the edge of the bed, watching Abele get ready. "I like it down," he said absentmindedly. He looked Abele over. He looked nice in his work clothes. "Teach me what to do," Jacob said, eyes determined. He could do this. He was strong and a hard worker. He also didn't want to be a mooch. Jacob wanted to earn his keep around here. He didn't want to be a burden.

"Huh? Oh. Can't keep it down; gotta be able to see. And, you know, not have my mom berate me." He said, before moving on to the next statement. He set down the comb and leaned against the wall "Well, the stuff I do is pretty simple. Just feeding the animals, checking the crops, doing some harvesting, stuff like that. I mean, the only thing you can't do is run errands with me. I gotta go to town for those, so.....yea."

Jacob nodded. He understood why Abele had to go alone. He wasn't stepping foot near that city until the caravan was long gone. He got up off the bed. He ran his fingers through his hair, sort of taming it. He stood next to the door, waiting for Abele to show him the way. He followed him downstairs and towards the barn.

Abele went into the barn, before picking up a bucket of grain. He held it out to Jacob, figuring this would be a easy job for him to do. After all, it was just feeding an animal; it couldn't be TOO hard to do.

"Here. This is the food for the chickens. Just toss some- not a lot -to them, and that should be good. Alright?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"Alright." Jacob grabbed a handful of feed, tossing it out to the chickens. He sprinkled some here and there, making sure there was enough. Once he was finished he put the bucket back to where Abele had gotten it from. "This isn't so bad," he said, walking up to Abele. "It's..kind of fun," he said used to much more physical and humiliating work.

Abele glanced over from feeding the pigs "Really? I've never really like it, myself." He replied, before placing his supplies off to the side "Not my kind of work, to be honest. I'd rather be doing art. Writing, maybe. Something along the lines of that."

"Art?" Jacob asked, tilting his head slightly. "What's....art?" He said, feeling how the word felt on his lips. He was sure he'd heard the word around. The merchants had sold a myriad of things, mostly fakes though. Jacob only knew the basics; writing, art, and music were things he was unfamiliar with. Abele intrigued him, made Jack want to learn things he'd never given a second thought before. "I can do this stuff so you can do the...art thingy," Jacob offered. He really didn't mind at all.

"Nah. My dad's giving me the farm when I'm older, so I gotta do this." Abele replied with a sigh, stretching a bit "An' I'll show you what it is later, yea? I can't really EXPLAIN it. It's better being shown." And it was true. He couldn't explain art. That wouldn't give it the full effect.

Jacob frowned not understanding. "But I can do it." He didn't understand why Abele had to take the farm. He could do it. He could do all the work on the farm without a problem so that Abele could his art thing. He let it go, smiling slightly at the prospect of learning what this 'art' was. He followed Abele around, learning about the farm. As the day went on, he was more and more convinced that he could handle the work of the farm. Abele doesn't need a wife. I can help with the farm and he can do his art stuff... Jacob thought to himself.

Abele stretched, and looked down at his shirt. It was disgusting. He'd need to change it later. But, right now, he needed to run those errands. He turned to look at Jacob.

"Alright, now I gotta go to town. Sorry. I'm gonna be back soon, though, okay?" he said, smiling

Jacob chewed on his bottom lip. He nodded, hands clasped behind his back. He didn't like the thought of Abele going to town with those men there. He didn't want them to somehow know that Abele knew Jacob. There was no way they would, but the fear still stuck. "Okay," he said, glancing at the road leading to the city. He nodded before turning to go back to the house. He only took a few steps before turning back around. "Be safe okay," Jacob said, genuine concern in his eyes. He squeezed Abele's hand gently before heading back to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.