Surprise in the Haystack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abele's parents were going to flip if he wasn't there for dinner. However, he figured he could wake Jacob up once that time came. They left town early, so there was still time for the other to sleep. All Abele had to do was not fall asleep himself. Sighing softly, he absentmindedly combed a hand through Jacob's hair, though it was slow and gentle to not wake him. He wondered if this was going to be how they usually slept til Jacob got his own room, and Abele couldn't find it in himself to care if it was.

Jacob murmured intelligably as Abele combed his fingers through his hair. He nuzzled into Abele's neck, sighing softly. His eyes fluttered open as he woke up. "That feels good," he said softly. He looked down at their position, his face turning red. Still, Jacob made no attempt at moving. It was...nice. He liked it and he like the way Abele's fingers combed through his hair.

Abele faltered a bit when Jacob woke up, feeling rather flustered. But, he took Jacob not moving as a invitation to keep going, so, after a moment, he did. He hoped this wouldn't make things awkward; after all, it hadn't even been a full day yet. Making it awkward already would be horrible. He would probably manage to, though, with his luck.

Jacob lay there, eyes closed but not sleeping. It felt nice, really nice. "Do you have a girlfriend?" Jacob didn't know why he said it. It just sort of slipped out of his mouth. Jacob froze, looking up at Abele worriedly, thinking he'd make things weird. "Sorry I just...uh, it....nevermind," he mumbled awkwardly.

Abele raised an eyebrow at the question, before shrugging, and settling onto the bed more comfortably. He didn't really mind the question, though he didn't know why Jacob was interested in it.

"No, I don't." He replied "Though, my parents might try to set me up with someone. They haven't found anyone yet, though, I'm pretty sure."

"Why?" Jacob said a little defensively. He only knew the kid for a day but he didn't like the way he felt at the idea of Abele being paired up with someone else. "Will they make me get a girlfriend too?" Jacob asked curiously. He didn't want one. "I don't want one if girls are anythin' like your sister," Jacob frowned, wrinkling his nose a bit. That was really his first encounter with a girl. He'd seen women in the caravan slipping into tents with some of the men and not reemerging for a few hours. They seemed dirty and rather distasteful.

Abele laughed a bit at the last part "Nah, nah, you probably won't have to. Mostly, they want me to get married so that I got someone to run the farm with when I get older. They also want grandkids." He explained with a shrug "And, they ain't all like my sister. Besides, she's nine; she's just a kid. Can't expect much from her right now, you know? She'll be more proper when she's older."

"I could help," Jacob said quickly. A little too quickly. He looked away shyly a little embarrassed by his outburst. "Nevermind," he said softly.

"Boys! Dinner's ready!' Celia's voice carried up to Abele's room. Jacob reluctantly disentangled his body from Abele's and sat up. He felt his face warm as he walked down the stairs. He didn't know why he said what he said. He didn't like thinking that Abele was getting paired up with some girl. He could help on the farm, Abele didn't need anyone else. As he walked into the kitchen, Jacob pushed the thoughts away. The smell that wafted towards his nose made his stomach growl and his mouth water. It smelled delicious.

Abele walked down the stairs after him, curious about what Jacob had said. He wasn't sure exactly what he meant, but he couldn't exactly ask now. Talking about it in front of his family? Probably a bad idea. He didn't want to embarrass Jacob anyway, so he'd drop the subject til later.

Celia turned to them and smiled "Take a seat, I'll put the plates out in a moment! Oh, and Abele, your father won't be here for dinner, but he has something to talk to you about later." She said, turning back to getting plates ready "So please wait up for him, hm?"

Jacob took a seat, eyeing Abele's sister suspiciously. She'd had her stick all the way to the house and she didn't seem to like him much. He made sure to leave an empty space between them so she didn't have a chance to mess with him when he wasn't looking. When Celia mentioned Abele's father, he looked to his friend. He only glance, before turning to his plate. After their previous conversation Jacob didn't like the feeling he was getting. Something told him had to do with what they'd been talking about, a girlfriend. He didn't like it. He didn't like it one bit. Instead of saying anything or looking upset, Jacob waited patiently, eyeing the food that was set before them. It looked delicious and he couldn't wait to dig in.

Celia set the plates down in front of the kids, then took a seat herself. She looked at Abele for confirmation that he had heard her earlier statement.

He sighed a bit, but nodded "Yea, mom. It's about me not working a lot today, isn't it? Or is it the sheep? I bet it's the sheep, right?" He said, as he had been expecting something like this to happen.

Celia shrugged a bit, beginning to eat "He didn't tell me. But, if you lost a sheep, I'm assuming yes. He wouldn't be very happy with something like that."

"How d'you lose a sheep?" Jacob asked, mouth full of food. He looked between Celia and Abele. He pictured the older boy running around chasing a sheep and started laughing. It was quite comical to imagine. He shook his head, laughter quieting as he took another spoonful of food. After he swallowed he turned to Celia. "This is really good miss," he complimented before taking another bite.

Celia smiled and Abele began to grumbled, eating his food quietly. "Thank you!" She said cheerfully "And you don't need to call me Miss. Celia is fine, if you like. It feels too formal when you say miss."

It was a moment before Abele got up, plate clean, and he went to go wash it off. He really was curious as to which mishap his father was going to be mad at him for. He was guessing the sheep, to be quite honest. It seemed to be the worse of the two.

Jacob nodded at Celia. It felt strange to call her that but if that's what she wanted then he supposed he could get used to it. He finished not long after Abele but this time they wouldn't be going back to his room. Abele had to talk to his father. Jacob helped Celia with the dishes, learning how it worked. It was a pretty cool gadget if he did say so himself.

Abele stretched "I'm gonna go find dad." He announced, grabbing his coat. He was assuming that it was colder than it was before outside. "Jacob, if you want to, I dunno, head to sleep before I come back, go ahead."

Jacob nodded as he finished cleaning with Celia. He helped her finish up cleaning the dishes and the kitchen before heading up to Abele's room. He sat on the bed, unsure of what to do. He swung his feet back and forth idly. Every now and then Jacob would glance at the door, hoping to see Abele. As time went on he tried to go to sleep, but it wasn't really working. He tossed back and forth trying to find a comfortable way to sleep. There was nothing to compared to how he felt sleeping in Abele's arms.

It was a bit til Abele came back. He assumed Jacob was asleep already, and moved to get clothes to change into to sleep in. He rummaged through the drawers, before finding something, and beginning to change into it. The conversation with his father had turned out to be about, yes, the sheep. He had expected as much. Apparently his father had found where it went, though, so everything was alright. He just had to make sure not to lose it ever again.

"Abele?" Jacob said as he heard someone rummaging around drawers. He rolled over to find Abele changing. He blushed, but you couldn't see it in the dark. His eyes scanned Abele's body, a strange feeling growing in his gut. He swallowed hard as his pants tightened. He looked away quickly, muttering a soft, "sorry."

Abele looked over, and, as expected, got rather flustered. He pulled on his shirt and pants quickly, rubbing one cheek with a hand. That hadn't been the smartest thing to do, had it?

"Uh, don't be. My fault. Thought you were asleep." He mumbled, before awkwardly shuffling over and sliding into the bed. He made sure to leave room between them, as he didn't want Jacob to feel uncomfortable.

Jacob's face was on fire. He rolled over to face Abele, slightly closing the space between them. "It's okay," he whispered softly. "I don't mind." His heart felt like it was hammering against his ribcage. He was worried it was about to jump out of his body at this rate. He could see the general shape of Abele's face in the dark room. Jacob wished he could see more of him...all of him. "What did your dad want?" He asked to change the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.