Surprise in the Haystack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abele frowned, wondering what was up with that, before sighing and getting up, padding into the kitchen to get some food. He figured he could talk about it with Jacob later.

Meanwhile, there was a rustling of bushes nearby Jacob. Then, a bit more. It was a moment after, til a young girl, maybe 9 years old, hopped out, holding a stick for defense.

"Hey!! Whaddya doin' here?" she exclaimed, vigorously waving the stick around

Jacob paused when he heard rustling. When nothing happened he kept moving. Then he heard it again. Jacob stopped walking and looking around. He expected an animal or something to come out. When a young girl jumped out instead, Jacob yelled, stumbling backwards and landing on his butt. He held his hands up over his face, a lame attempt at protecting himself from an attack. He peeked over his arms when asked what he was doing here. "What d'ya mean what and I doing here? What're you doing here?" Jacob countered, eyeing the girl curiously, with a small hint of fear in his eyes. "Are you looney?! I was just walkin!!"

" 'M here because I'm SUPPOSED to be here! You're trespassing." She said rather haughtily, waving the stick around more for effect "Father doesn't like trespassers! So YOU gotta leave!"

She was short, with choppy dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. She wore a purple summer dress, and had a flower pin attached to it. Her black shoes were covered in mud, along with the rest of her. Over all, she was a mess.

"Yeah says you!" Jacob huffed. He scrambled to his feet, crossing his arms. "'Sides the lady in the house said I could stay so I ain't goin' nowhere's and I ain't gotta listen to ya!" Jacob frowned looking down at the young girl. He realized how silly it was to be afraid of her in the first place. She was younger, smaller, and only had a stick. She couldn't do much to hurt him if she really tried anyways.

"That's my momma!" The girl said, but didn't falter in the slightest "We don't let strangers in without a good reason! Who are ya, huh? Tell me, or I'll go get big brother!"

She had a frown on her face, as if she thought she actually could possibly get him in trouble. Which, she probably couldn't, because her argument was rather lame.

"She's your mom?" Jacob questioned eyeing the little girl. "She a lot nicer than you," he mumbled, crossing his arms again. "Go head and tell ya brother. He brought me here so ha," Jacob said feeling triumphant. Arguing with a nine year wasn't exactly the most mature thing he'd ever done but then again he wasn't the most mature person either. "Will ya put the stick down since I ain't tress passion or whatever ya said," Jacob asked, wary of the weapon the girl was carrying. It wouldn't break anything but it sure would hurt and she didn't look afraid to use it.

"How do I know you're tell'n the truth, huh? You got proof?" She demanded, eyes narrowing "Cus I don't think you do! You could be....be.....a murderer! Or of of 'em old leeches! Are you gonna take our crops and stuff, huh?"

She waved the stick once more, because she wasn't about to drop it, and she wanted to show him that. After all, if he thought she would, he was dumb in her mind. Why would she put down her only weapon?

"Well course I ain't got no proof! It's not like ya mama gave me a stamp sayin I live here now!" Jacob grumbled. He did not like this girl much. She was loud and quite annoying in his book. In reality, she wasn't acting too outrageous. She found a stranger on her land and wanted to know who he was. "I'm goin back to the house and tell your mama to come get you," Jacob said. He turned on his heel and started walking back to the house and away from the crazy little girl.

She stomped after him "Oi! No you ain't! I'm comin' to make sure you ain't a crim-y-nal!" She said stubbornly, though her stick was now lowered and by her side. Her frown remained, though, as it had not left her face the entire time they had been talking thus far. She really did not seem to enjoy him being here. "Because if you are, 'm gonna get my DAD and he's gonna make you leave!"

"Well I ain't no crim-y-nal," Jacob said stubbornly. He eyed her suspiciously as she walked (stomped) alongside him. It didn't take long to get back to the house. Jacob walked in, immediately looking for Abele. He wasn't so comfortable talking to the parents yet. Jacob went to Abele's room. "Can you tell the little girl with the stick I's supposed to be here. She almost took my head off with her stick thingy," Jacob said, frown in place.

"Tell him he ain't!" The girl demanded, hitting Jacob's arm with the stick "Tell him he should leave! Abele, he's a stranger! Mama always says-"

"Good lord, Isabella, drop the stick." The boy groaned, rubbing his head. He looked even more dissatisfied when the the girl, Isabella, shook her head. Sighing, he went over, and basically placed her over his shoulder. The Isabella was not pleased, kicking her feet a bit and complaining.

Abele looked at Jacob "....Sorry. About her." he said awkwardly

"See, I told ya!" Jacob said feeling superior. He sent Isabella a smug smirk as she was carried out over her brother's shoulder. When Abele returned, Jacob had a smile on his face. "It's alright," he shrugged and sat back on Abele's bed. He hoped the other didn't mind. "She's fiesty," he said, laughing. Although she was annoying, it was rather funny when he thought about it. "Could you show me around some time? I-I know I won't stay here forevers but, maybe I could finds a place to stay around town if ya show me?" Jacob said. He didn't know why he wanted Abele to do stuff with him. He just did. He wanted to spend all the time in the world with him. Maybe because Abele was the first male to ever be nice to him, to ever be his friend.

"...." Abele paused, raising an eyebrow, before saying "My mom probably wants to keep you or something. Actually, no, she does. She was gushing over you before, so I doubt she'd let you go off on your own." He stretched a bit, before walking over and sitting down next to him "But, yea, I can still show you around. There isn't much to see, though. It's just....crowded. And disgusting. I hate the nearby town, to be quite honest with you."

"Wait...I..I can stay?" Jacob had stopped listening after that. He felt a burning behind his eyes and then something hot was sliding down his cheeks. He wiped at his face, realizing he was crying. Jacob laughed softly as tears spilled from his eyes and a smile covered his face. "I can stay," he announced voice cracking. Jacob was crying out of joy. "I-I've never had a home before," he whispered, body shaking like a leaf as tears spilled forth. "I have a family now?" He really couldn't believe it. He'd just met them but they were taking him in. He would have a bed and a room and a family for the first time in his life. Jacob wiped at the tears that spilled over, feeling weak in front of Abele but also just so happy at the same time. Jacob looked to Abele, pulling him into a hug. "Thank you," he rasped, throat constricting from crying. "Thank you for not kicking me out and bringing me here," Jacob said softly, a few sobs escaping him as he hugged Abele, not aware that he was probably making the kid very uncomfortable.

Abele blinked owlishly at him for a moment, a bit confused at the sudden crying and the hug. But, after a few seconds, he slowly hugged back, feeling it to be the best road to go down. He wasn't against hugging; actually, hugging people was quite nice. He was a touchy-feely guy, to be honest, but he rarely showed it off to anyone around him often, as he didn't want to make things awkward.

"It's....fine? I mean, you'll have to share a room with me, so it isn't the greatest thing ever....?" He said, managing a small hug

Jacob sniffled as he giggled softly. He looked up at Abele, still wrapped up in his arms. "It's okay. I have a bed!" He said excitedly. His green eyes were filled with so much happiness, Jacob almost couldn't contain it. He didn't make any move to unwrap himself from Abele's arms. To tell the truth, he found it to be quite nice to be held by the other male. Jacob didn't know what that meant, and at the moment, he didn't care at all. "Does...Does that make you my brother now?" Jacob asked softly. He looked up at Abele's face. He wasn't sure he wanted Abele to be his brother, that would make moments like these unnatural right? Jacob didn't want that. He wanted this to be normal stuff, the hugging.

"I wouldn't say so." Abele answered, after thinking it it over a little "I mean, just because youll be living here doesn't mean we're related? I suppose you could think of it that way if you WANTED to, though. I won't stop you."

Abele honestly felt that having the other boy as a brother would be quite odd. He didn't know why, but that's how he felt. Do he, for one, would not be thinkjng of Jacob as that. What he'd think of the boy instead? He didn't know. But brother was definitely not the title he'd place to this current relationship.

Jacob knodded. He reluctantly let go of Abele. He didn't really want to though. He rather liked the way that Abele's arms felt around him. He felt...safe. That was a new feeling as well...safety. Jacob liked it. For a moment Jacob stood there not really knowing what else to do. "Well..you...you aren't working now so, do we have time to go explore?" Jacob asked softly.

Abele glanced outside for a brief moment, to check and see what time it was, before nodding. They'd just need to be back somewhat soon, that's all- with dinner and all that. But be was sure they could manage to get back in time, considering there wasn't much to see.

"Yea, we can do that. Just gotta be back before dinner and all, you know?" He said, looking back at Jacob with a smile.

Jacob smiled brightly. He grabbed Abele's hand, pulling him towards the door. He was so excited to go see the city, actually see it. He'd been to many cities, but he'd only ever see the market place where he'd be forced to clean and scam people out of their money. Once he'd even had to dance around to get people's attention. It was humiliating.

Status
Not open for further replies.