Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you did say you were sorry, but you also stated to hold onto your opinion of suicidal people being weak.

That is one horrible trigger, because right in the middle of a suicidal mindset that's one of the possible thoughts that can cross your mind. One of the worst since being "weak" is "bad" and "unforgivable".

You think that post meant to my first post on here? No, I meant the post that I said sorry.
Yes, you did say you were sorry, but you also stated to hold onto your opinion of suicidal people being weak.

That is one horrible trigger, because right in the middle of a suicidal mindset that's one of the possible thoughts that can cross your mind. One of the worst since being "weak" is "bad" and "unforgivable".
couldn't have said it better myself.

Gold star for the Dragoesper. She knows what's up! 8D

*opens the farmhouse door, coffee-cup in hand, to find his neighbour, Mr Jameson, standing on his porch. The other farmer is red-eyed from crying, and clutches a mutilated baby lamb in his arms*

FARMER ASMO: "Mike.... what happened...?"

FARMER JAMESON: "It was that keyboard... the stray you took in...."

FARMER ASMO: "What... I don't underst--"

FARMER JAMESON: "It got out! Through the fences! Now look what it did!"

*Jameson holds aloft the dead lamb, spilling blood on the doorstep*

FARMER ASMO: "Mike, I'm sorry! I thought it was happy h--"

*Jameson walks away, shaking his head*

FARMER JAMESON: "You've got a rabid animal, 'Smo. Ain't no good will come o' this."

*collapses in the doorway, shoes stained with blood and spilled coffee*

FARMER ASMO: "I'm sorry..... please...... no...."

Rare is free to express that opinion, just as you and I are free to disagree. This is a public forum, not a carefully moderated discussion with an agenda. I don't think their opinion should be censored because someone somewhere could be hurt by reading it. If we were to do that, we'd never get to talk about anything. I mean fuck, yeah I disagree with it, but is it really worth throwing a -15 at when so many other posts before it said similar things?

I mean, how is this different from this? Sure, Nydanna is far more elegant in her rhetoric. But seriously. Fuck. Guys. They're saying pretty much the same thing. And that's not an invitation to mass-smite other posts now. Just think about what the hell you guys are doing. I don't like it when people just pick one scapegoat to tear on.

• Love
Reactions: Torsty and Brovo
Rare is free to express that opinion, just as you and I are free to disagree. This is a public forum, not a carefully moderated discussion with an agenda. I don't think their opinion should be censored because someone somewhere could be hurt by reading it. If we were to do that, we'd never get to talk about anything. I mean fuck, yeah I disagree with it, but is it really worth throwing a -15 at when so many other posts before it said similar things?

I mean, how is this different from this? Sure, Nydanna is far more elegant in her rhetoric. But seriously. Fuck. Guys. They're saying pretty much the same thing. And that's not an invitation to mass-smite other posts now. Just think about what the hell you guys are doing. I don't like it when people just pick one scapegoat to tear on.
I don't think you meant to, but this post kind of makes it seem like you think it's worse for a bunch of people to smite a post for what you think are frivolous reasons than someone attempting to take there own life because of what they read in this thread. I'm gonna assume that's not what you meant, but you should probably be aware of how you may have come off to certain people.

Aight. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said before- but I have a bit to interject.

One of my best friends committed suicide four years ago. In a morbid twist, my gecko- Stewart, was named after him (I ain't gonna lie. Probably just seeing what I want to see but it's the eyes, they look like Jon's. He's my baby)

Now, he had many varied and strange problems. Bipolar, Depression, ADHD, A few physical medical problems here and there that aren't life threatening, but I can't remember the defining names for it, he also had Torrette's syndrome. And Schizophrenia.

Did I mention that no matter what shit he was on, he always saw people in the shadows, watching him? Made him paranoid as fuck but unless he told you about it, you wouldn't know.

You'd know he was strange... he liked studying urban myths- his favorites being the Lochness Monster and the Moth Man. He'd get hyper, amp himself up and just run around... just... run.

He had a good life around him, but with all that shit going on in his head.... he had attempted suicide I think about thirteen times throughout his life? His birthday was only three days before mine. He passed before he was even legal to drink.

I ain't gonna say I like it... hell, when I first learned he passed, I kinda shut off a bit. Because he and I had talked about it extensively. The dude just didn't want to keep going. He knew how much it would hurt people, but he was sick of no medication fixing anything he had. He was frustrated. At the same time, he wanted to make the claim that if he died, I shouldn't mourn him.

That's the part I think is selfish. Yes, I understand that you don't want your loved one's grieving you, I can understand that maybe that thought makes people sad, or feel awkward.

It's taken me four years to actively really be able to get past his shit, because of that one request. I spent that first year in a tailspin. Relationships got fucked to hell, friendships could wither away, life passed me by because I was walking the wrong way.

I blamed myself for his death because before that- I had gotten mixed into a bad group... It was my own damned fucking fault and I didn't much want to talk about it. At the same time, I didn't want him around me while I was trying to figure out a way to get away from that, manage a relationship I didn't want to acknowledge was failing, and generally flailing around as some vague attempt at having a life.

I feel guilt because I cut myself off from him.

So being told not to mourn, mixed with guilt... it wasn't a pretty sight.

That would be the only thing I can REALLY pin down as the most selfish thing. the act itself is polarizing as we've seen, but it can have varying reasons- but asking people not to mourn you is a rather definite thing to me. Don't fucking do it.

Now- in my own experience, I have another situation to throw at you.

What if you knew a answer for a medical problem might be literally a day away, but you had gotten into so much pain, that you literally couldn't think anymore- to the point where you see something, anything. And go for it.

I had a parasophogial (I think I spelled that right) hernia. Basically I was born with half my stomach was cozied up and bros with my lung. Pancreas and stomach lining sometimes joined in. Starting about three years ago, I started showing symptoms, when I ate, sometimes my stomach would pretty much KNOT itself, and cut off it's own blood supply. The feeling was akin to being stabbed, having that knife moved in every direction, wiggled- what have you. Pain intense enough that it made me vomit, cry, loose control of basic skills, ect.

After two years, there was an appointment for a new doctor, and a diagnoisis. Pretty much I knew that I was getting surgery in little less than a month, I really was just seeing the guy before hand to get to know him before a battery of tests to see just how fucked up everything was down there.

Thing was, I had an episode a week before that meeting. I was writhing in pain, with my best friend trying to hold on to me in some vague attempt of comfort with my boyfriend nearby, nervous but trying to keep it together. I wasn't able to talk. I was crying, sobbing, screaming, making guttural noises that honestly should be in horror movies. I'd jerk my body around, trying to find some sort of comfort in any position. Not happening.

And then it got worse.

I got to a point where I couldn't really register the amplifying pain because the second it started getting worse, I saw the wall next to me. I reared up and moved hard and fast at that damned wall before anyone had any sense to stop me because no one expected it. I was told that two things happened- that I don't remember. One- I hit my head on that wall damned hard. Two- I apparently grumbled that "I didn't do it hard enough."

I was exhausted at that point, I couldn't move much, but now my boyfriend had more or less thrown my friend off the bed and was holding me and trying to keep me awake, talk to me, what else can you do?

Now- the reason I didn't go to a hospital? The way they would have dealt with it would have been... primitive. And recovery would be hell. I was already in hell. Not keen on it. I wanted to either hold out until the scheduled surgery with five little incisions and you would walk out of the hospital the next day, or die trying.

Did I mention that shit can kill you? The whole stomach-cutting-off-it's-own-blood-supply thing?

I ended up getting through that night, obviously, then a few weeks later, had that surgery.

But it's left it's marks. My boyfriend's afraid to see me in pain. Whole damned thing scared him.

Scared me too- had I been of conscious thought, I wouldn't have attempted that.

Literally what I remember of the action was... if felt like when you touch a hot stove and you jump back. I dunno, I'm pretty messed up at times. Still here, though.

No, I don't think the action is selfish, but I think it's one that should be talked about extensively. My friend's mom knew since the time he could talk that he saw things she didn't. He attempted suicide for the first time at the age of ten. I'd like to think the fucker's in a better place. I have a drink and a candle set up for him on his birthday and the anniversary of his death every year. It's taken me some time to get used to it, but I'm ok with his passing now, just something that he wasn't going to let go. Trying to stop him wouldn't help.

Now, if you feel suicidal and you're looking at this thread for some reason- don't fucking kill yourself just yet, aight? There are answers and options available to you. None of the staff here is trained to help you- but there are resources that you can find online and by phone. Talk to someone. Talk to your family and friends. Talk to a doctor. Figure out a plan. If you're serious on it and nothing else can persuade you, tell them. Talking never hurts. Be honest, don't sugarcoat it. Say what's going on, why you feel you need to do that shit, how long it's felt like that. Talk with them.

@govangogh I do not see how Rare should be held responsible for the possible actions of a third party. That's just as shaky an argument as saying we can't have violent videogames because in spite of most people being able to separate fiction from reality, someone somewhere who cannot will think spraying their shotguns empty in a kindergarten is the natural next level after getting bored with Call of Duty.

Is it bad if it someone would kill their selves after reading the post? Yeah, that would suck. However it's ridiculous to hold Rare responsible for that. And it's utter favouritism to go down on just one guy while a lot of others hold similar opinions. And even then, as you should have learned from this topic by now, just because X is worse than Y doesn't mean Y is negligible.

Also fucking seriously, someone seriously contemplating suicide isn't going to be triggered by just one post like that. There will be a lot more variables in play and 'some random teenager with a controversial opinion on the internet' is nowhere near going to top that list.

It's largely a matter of tone and phrasing.

Nydanna said suicide is a selfish cop out. This is an opinion stated with a fairly neutral tone.

Rare also called it selfish, plus he equated it to theft and murder, and he said that everyone who has ever done it is weak. This is an opinion stated harshly with insults.

That's why I threw a negative rating on Rare's post but not on Nydanna's. I disagree with the content of both posts, but only one of them was callous and rude.

EDIT: Also, they're meaningless points. Why make such a big fuss over them?

@Jorick Saying something is a cop-out is the same as calling it weak. The rest now just seems poorly phrased. The comparison to theft and murder must have been edited out, which would in my eyes have justified the reaction.

@Jorick Saying something is a cop-out is the same as calling it weak. The rest now just seems poorly phrased. The comparison to theft and murder must have been edited out, which would in my eyes have justified the reaction.
Eh, I see a difference between saying an act is a cop-out and calling a person weak, but it's all semantics and connotation, so whatever.

It's not edited out at all. The first line in his post is currently just as it was when I rated it: "Suicide is a selfish act to commit, like stealing from your loved ones or even killing them."

It's not edited out at all. The first line in his post is currently just as it was when I rated it: "Suicide is a selfish act to commit, like stealing from your loved ones or even killing them."
... Yeah I'm not sure how I read over that twice. Fair enough.

It isn't his/her opinion that has people crossed. Rare continues to post before he/she thinks. They come off as being particularly cold and just a bit mean spirited. Nydanna, not only has the same opinion, but she expressed it well without sounding insensitive to those that might be reading.

Edit: At least that was the way it came off to me. Might not have to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't force us to lock this thread guys >:[ Be nice!

You've said your opinion about Rare's opinion, and now it's enough! If you wish to debate the difference in word choice (between a post from a 16 year old kid and another from an adult woman!) and how different what they say is or isn't, then you can take it to PM.

@govangogh I do not see how Rare should be held responsible for the possible actions of a third party.
And saying this is a shaky concept. It also says I don't want to take responsibility for the words I use. Words can often cause more damage than the act of some video game. People use words like those same weapons, the strong difference here is, video games can be 'blamed' while words are just words. Difference here is Words can and do wound people far deeply than video games. I've never heard of anyone killing themselves because the lost a game of CoD. I have first hand knowledge at the host of of teens that have done so because of the words their peers used.

Words incite. They can inspire, they make us hate, they can make us love, and they can make us laugh. Words are the most powerful thing Humanity has.

Arguments and civil discourse aside, I really do like watching these controversial topics come up because of the varied opinions and how most people are able to respect each other on their different choices on these matters. I also think it's a good way to get to know people. Just interesting in general.

And we're ignoring the Staff Warning why?
Not sure who this was directed to. If it was me, I didn't see the warning until after I posted and my posted wasn't about the subject that was warned about.

Set aside I wasn't referring to Rare's or anyone's post but rather the concept on how our words are used.

It wasn't just what was said towards Rare that we reacted on, a comment of disagreement is allowed , it's when those comments goes into bullying territory or are mean spirited that it's not okay. It was mainly the fact that you discussed something that isn't the topic of the thread and that two members names came up in that discussion constantly, which might make them feel uncomfortable. I probably should remind you that one of the examples that was used as the bad side was a 16 year old kid who is far from mentally developed and who admitted that she might change her opinion.

Comparing people so openly can hurt their feelings, especially if you're not talking directly to them and instead has a discussion and using their names. It's important to know when it's time to take it to a private conversation where the people you are using as examples (especially if they're examples of the bad) can't see it. If you just want them to understand why what they said was wrong, then you can state that opinion to them in a respectful manner.

As I stated in my last post, you can take your discussion about choice of words into PMs as it doesn't belong in this discussion thread.

From now on I want to see this thread on topic and clean.
graphics-cleaning-403136.gif

@govangogh I do not see how Rare should be held responsible for the possible actions of a third party. That's just as shaky an argument as saying we can't have violent videogames because in spite of most people being able to separate fiction from reality, someone somewhere who cannot will think spraying their shotguns empty in a kindergarten is the natural next level after getting bored with Call of Duty.

Is it bad if it someone would kill their selves after reading the post? Yeah, that would suck. However it's ridiculous to hold Rare responsible for that. And it's utter favouritism to go down on just one guy while a lot of others hold similar opinions. And even then, as you should have learned from this topic by now, just because X is worse than Y doesn't mean Y is negligible.

Also fucking seriously, someone seriously contemplating suicide isn't going to be triggered by just one post like that. There will be a lot more variables in play and 'some random teenager with a controversial opinion on the internet' is nowhere near going to top that list.

I think that you aren't even reading every post in this thread. :c It's not just Rare. A lot of people in this thread have made some posts that are likely to do more harm than good! Also, sometimes you see or hear or do something that may seem small and unimportant to other people, but it snags you and eats away at you until it's all you can think about. A little thought put into what you post never hurts.

And also, smites are pretty much negligible. If you're gonna push the whole "it's just an opinion" thing then you should probably realize that smites represent the opinions of the people reading the post. If people didn't like the post, then they're just as valid in how they respond as the op was in posting it. No one should be getting hung up on something like smites or loves or whatever. They're a pretty meaningless points system, and I really think you should be more concerned about the well being of other human beings then how popular a post is or whatever.

Anyways, I want this thread to sink so I'm ollying outie. If anyone has something they really think I need to hear on this issue, pms are an easy way to contact people! Be well everyone.

Reactions: Novis
Status
Not open for further replies.