Steps too Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingrid was quite good at saddling, even wife the things were heavy for a little person like her. There was even a small wooden ramp for her to walk up then mount the horse without it being too high for her. She was just glad that they could get away faster, and hopefully no one would notice.

She got the horse to trot out with her already on, making room for Fox to get on. Fox had to be upfront. As Ingrid didn't really know where she was going, she had a few ideas, but getting lost wasn't in the plan. She held onto Fox's sides as the little pony charged right up the date be way and out into the open. She bit her lip and rested herself against Fox's back. After every thing her family had been through to get her home... If they realized what just happened, she knew they'd all be heart broken and even maybe feel a bit betrayed. But she had to do this..

She owed Richelieu that much since things didn't turn out as she wanted them to. Or anyone wanted them to..

Half an hour after they got back to camp, Richelieu and the gang had the pyre all set up. "Are we going to wait for Fox to get back boss? She wouldn't want to miss this..." Richelieu sighed. "Yes..she better hurry though."
Her voice cut through the silence of the camp. "You better not start without me boss." the gang turned to see her ride into the camp on a pony.

"fox..what the hell did you....?" Richelieu's voice died in his throat as he saw Ingrid get off the pony. "FOX! What is this? Wha...you know what? Nevermind...I don't want to know right now. Let's just get started...everyone gather around."
Richelieu stood next to the funeral pyre while he waited for everyone to gather around the site.

Richelieu's reaction was to be expected, it was the same as her own when Fox showed up. But then again, she was glad Fox got her in the end. She stood between them, and before Richelieu lit the pit, Ingrid tugged on his sleve to catch his attention, before pulling the prayer book out of her pocket. "Might be nice to say something out of this.." She whispered, sliding it into his hand with a litle smile, feeling Fox ruffle the back of her hair affectionately.

She hated funerals. They were always so sad. But the point was, this person didn't really need to die at all. It just happened... And it wasn't fair. That's what hurt worse. Even if she didn't know him. She wiped her nose on the sleve of her coat, and like everyone, waited for the fire and a send off that the man deserved.

He was about to light the pyre when Ingrid handed him a book. A prayer book? She brought a prayer book? He smirked as he opened it. "And thus, those of you who have lived a life to it's fullest shall be welcomed onto me. Fear not what has happened or what is to come, for I shall protect you and comfort you till the end of days."
Closing the book, he tossed the torch onto the pyre, watching it ignite and burst into flame. Each member of the gang bowed their heads once by one..the silence of the air broken only by the cackling of the fire. Fox bowed her head and felt the tears beginning to well up again. Richelieu was the last to bow his head, but not before he said his final goodbye.

"you were my brother and my friend. You stayed at my side when I was sick and showed me the path I now walk without you, although you will always be with me.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
With that, he bowed his head and joined the silence.

Ingrid just stood silently. There was nothing she could really say here, but she was glad she was a bit useful when Richelieu cracked a smile at the prayer book. As everyone bowed their heads in silence, she copied, not before remembering something... She jogged off to the side of Richelieu's now burnt down tent, but the flower 'tiara' she was making before everything kicked off was still there. She slotted in the last flower and knelt by the end of the pyre, pushing it closer.

Fox tried to stop her "Hey, don't, you'll burn your hands.." She said gently, but Ingrid just shook her head and got it to rest up against the wood, and join in the fire. "Everyone who dies gets flowers at funerals" she said softly, feeling she had to explain herself a bit before she got back up and got back to where she was stood before. Standing silently, looking at her feet.

Richelieu smirked. This kid's a kind one..giving flowers at a funeral for a thief. He finally broke the silence. "Alright guys..let's break open one of our spare reserves." The men nodded and opened up a hidden cellar in the ground where they had hidden casks of beer. they began to drink and talk about Johnny, sometimes laughing and sometimes crying.
Richelieu didn't join them. Instead, he sat beside Fox and Ingrid. "I have to ask kid...why did you come here? you were home..you were away from us and back with your family. So why?"

It didn't make any sense to him. She had no reason coming back here..especially to a funeral of someone she didn't even know that well. It baffled and mystified him.

Ingrid sat with Fox, bringing her knees up to her chest and playing with the lace embellishment on the bottom of the new dress, letting Fox just talk. Everyone needed to talk sometimes. Then after hearing Richelieu's question.. She just shrugged. She didn't really have a logically answer to that. He was right. It was insane to think she came back to the place she wanted to get away from the most.

"I guess.. because Fox asked. And because.. It's kinda my fault." She murred slightly, using a stick to draw idly into the dirt. Fox looked confused and looked at Richelieu, then back at Ingrid. "how'd you figure that one?"

"Well... I walked away from home because I was avoiding my piano lesson.. If I didn't do that, you wouldn't have found me.. The police wouldn't have got involved, and then they wouldn't have found you. So.. He died.. just cuz I didn't want to play piano that day... Crappy reason to die for" She shrugged again, having that thought in her head ever since Fox told her what really happened. When she was stunned, that was when her brain connected the dots.. And realized that's all this was. An extreme punishment for her leaving home that day. But not her punishment. Theirs.

Richelieu remained silent. He didn't think it was her fault or anything, but it was pointless to try and argue it with her right now. "What are you gonna do now Raven?" He looked at Fox. "Probably leave. Nothing left here and the gangs talking about splitting up to do their own things. Figure I might head south..or maybe east and try to find more thieving work."
Fox sighed. "So you're leaving huh? Well then, guess I'm going with you. You didn't think I'd let you get away that easily did you?" She laughed and then stood to go get a drink of beer.

Richelieu chuckled and shook his head. Fox, you'll be the death of me yet...I swear!

Listening to them talk.. They were all leaving?...Why all of a sudden.. Did that make her sad? She should've been elated but.. Wasn't. She bit her lip for a minute. She couldn't just let them leave. It was selfish, only because she didn't want to be sad, but it could work out better for them anyway. Getting the courage up, she sighed lightly.

"I.. I could get you jobs..Y'know.. Normal ones" She said softly, not sure if they'd just laugh at her. They were wanted criminals after all, but then again, most rich people in this world weren't all that honest themselves, just didn't like it when people played them at their own games. But that's where Richelieu and Fox, and the others came in.

"Lots of people... Rich people.. Need body guards.. Even people to do all the back handed deals and stuff for them. I've watched a few guys do it for my Dad once. The fact you're criminals wouldn't even bother them, would probably look better for them then an honest days work at somethign else. I could get my dad's black book out of the office.. Get Dad's body guard to help me.. Get it so.. You don't have to go far for get the jobs you're used to doing. For better money at least" She murred again, wincing slightly, feeling all their eyes bore into her like coals.

"Why though?" Fox asked, for the same reason that Richelieu asked why she came to the funeral. She should be away from her, with her family, with nothing to do with them anymore. "Because... I... Kinda don't want you guys to leave.."

This was the biggest risk she ever took. She could lose her Father's trust completely if she got caught. And she knew she couldn't amke everything better. But she couldn't help it. She saw people as things to fix. Like dolls with popped seams with stuffing sticking out. After everything, she should've been on that horse and running miles away from them. She shouldn't be doing this.. It was mental! Mentalmentalmental!

Ingrid wasn't normal. She had to do this for everyone. When she mother couldn't have any more children, she was there, trying to fix her. When one of her Father's businesses went bust, even though he tried his best to keep it up, she was there.. And now.. Here. These were real people, with real bad pasts that made them seem like bad people. And made them do bad things... So.. maybe.. She could fix them too...

Richelieu sighed and looked at Fox. "Take the girl home Fox." Fox nodded and picked Ingrid up despite her fighting and protests. Richelieu stood up and walked with them. He watched as Fox took Ingrid and sat on the pony.
"Listen kid..you're cute..and you're sweet. Life sucks and we have to deal with it. You don't want us to go..but we're criminals. Honest work isn't our style..even if it's for dirty backstabbing corporate pricks. Some of those guys want to pursue their dreams..like writing a book or sailing around the world."
He patted her on the head and ruffled up her hair. "Thanks for the offer kid..but I for one decline. Maybe I'll see ya around." Fox snapped the reins and the pony started to trot back home.

Richelieu blew her a goodbye kiss as he headed back to the fire pit. Corporate bodyguard...doesn't sound too bad. Still, not really my style. His eyes focused on the fire and the flames that danced within it.

Ingrid felt in her heart that was gonna happen. she couldn't even find the words. She just didn't want to go. Even the blow of a good bye kiss couldn't help, even though it did make her blush slightly. I guess... I can't fix everyone... Even though I want to. She thought, her eyes welling up as she headed back home again, her little face hidden behind Fox so she didn't see.

As she got home, at the gates, she made the pony stop by pulling the reins and looked up. "You.. Should go home now. Coming back in here will look bad. If anyone sees me, I can say I came out on my own so they won't get mad at you, ok?" She murred lightly, letting Fox slid off and shuffled herself into place.

She hated goodbyes with people that were alive then the funerals goodbyes. Real goodbyes.. You knew that person was still around, but didn't know where or anything else. So it kinda stung a lot more, than knowing a dead person was where you kinda sorta buried 'em.

Fox hugged her. "He really liked you..just so you know. He did what he thought was best. If you stayed with him, it would've meant giving up everything you know and love here. Could you do that Ingrid?"
releasing the hug, she looked the little girl in the eye. "It's a huge commitment and not one that we take lightly. Richelieu won't be going anywhere for awhile yet..."
Fox winked at her and then took off running for the forest. She had the endurance and speed of a marathon runner. Within moments, she vanished into the trees, making her way back to camp.

Goodbye kid...we'll miss you.

She clung tight to Fox til she let go. She couldn't force herself to say good bye, jsut waved as her eyes welled up again, and shook the reins for the pony to trot forward up the drive. She looked back, watching Fox disappearing back into the trees. They were really gone now. They'd move on. That was weird. After 3 days, her whole life got threw upside down, and she didn't know what to think or do.

She'd be 13 soon. And she'd have to deal with going to more parties, and benefits.. And learning about business. None of it seemed right before, and it definitely didn't seem right now. She couldn't see herself being a theif though. She got a guilty conscience easily. Especially right about now, when she saw her Father stood on the door steps with his arms folded. The Maids got the pony, and got her down, shooing her off inside to get a royal grilling from him, before being sent back to bed.

She sat in her room, in her night dress, still looking out of the window. This was all.. Far too confusing. She was sat thinking, but she had no idea what about. Fox was right but.. It didn't stop that feeling in her stomach when she replayed Richelieu's good bye kiss, or Fox looking in her eyes as she left...
The world was a lot different then she was taught to believe in.

Even though she wasn't in bed, she huggde in knees on the window seat, rested her head against the wall, and not long after, she dozed off to the hardest sleep she'd ever had...

Richelieu was still at his spot when Fox got back. "That was clever what you pulled there Raven." He remained silent. "Still, you honestly think she'll give it all up?"
He simply shrugged. "She's old enough to know what she wants. If she wants to stay, then she'll stay. If she wants to go with us, then she'll be here before we leave." "you're really leaving Raven?" He nodded.
"Losing Johnny made me realize that staying here isn't the best place for us. There are bigger jobs out there Fox. Better hideouts, fancier targets, harder jobs and payouts. I want to push myself to be the best thief history ever knows and to do that, I can't stay here."

She said nothing, but curled up beside him and watched the fire burn. Most of the men had fallen asleep by now and it was just the two of them. Neither one of them got any sleep, but they stayed at each others side as the morning sun slowly filled the sky.

As the morning sun rose, Ingrid's eyes had to open. She blinked and groaned, rubbing them and sighing. That was the worst sleep ever. But then again.. It helped her realize a few things. She bit her lip..It was early morning.. So.. Her parents wont have woken up yet. That was it. She had to. She had to do this. For her sanity.

She threw lots of clothes into her 'camping' bag, that would easily sit on the back of the horse, or she could even hold it. Little comforts. Her hair brush, a little doll hidden in the bottom, something to remind her of home. She'd come back once and a while. She couldn't completely abandon her family as she knew they couldn't just have another child. It wasn't physically possible. She scribbled out a long, heart felt note to them. Apologizing. Tears rolling down her face. Now, THIS was the most insane thing she'd even done. They told her she could be anything. And this is what she wanted to be.

Ingrid then tiptoed across the hall, riffling through her father's documents, taking the black book, and the cards to all her trust funds and accounts. er father would never close them, so they'd be good to use to hide any money they earnt.... But.. Was she really giving up on the life her parents had built, just for people that had kidnapped her, and would've happily sold her off if it meant a pay day?.... Her stomach turned. The doubt setting in. Then she shook her head.

She event ook some boots, and an old play suit, changing into that from her night dress. It was better to wear, ti didn't really matter what happened to it. And Ingrid would be able to go into town and buy food and thigns all the time, as she wasn't a wanted criminal. Just.. Apart of a family.

Creeping out, she let out a breathe, grabbed the still saddled pony, and went. Thankfully, she remembered 99% of the way since Fox was in front yesterday, and then just guessed the rest...

HOw would they react?... She jsut hoped they wouldn't laugh and turn her away.

The men had all but gone. Such heartfelt goodbyes and tears. This early in the morning and the gang was all but dispersed. "I'm sorry for this boss. I know you didn't want it to end like this."
Richelieu hugged the man. "Go and live your dream my friend. Keep an ear out for my name." The last of the gang headed out and Richelieu turned to Fox. "Guess we better get out stuff together. Hurry Fox, we had best be on the road before it gets too late."

Fox nodded and began to gather up spare clothes, tools, sheets and whatever else she could find. As she began to pack all those things into a small bag, she noticed Ingrid riding up to the camp. She smiled. I knew she would come..i just knew it.
She gave Ingrid a small wave before she resumed gathering and packing.
Richelieu came around the corner and saw Ingrid.

"Why?"
Fox smiled. "I knew she'd come." "Fox..what did you say to her?" Fox just winked and walked past him. Richelieu hurried over to Ingrid. "Why kid? Why are you doing this? You know what this means right?"

Finally, she relaxed down. Fox waving at her helped, she waved back, sliding down from the horse, having to let her little feet dangle a few seconds before dropping to the floor, dusting off her little coat.

As Richelieu came over, she just smiled lightly and shrugged. "Well, someone's gotta do all the shopping and stuff, and you can't do it without getting caught, so you need me. So there, I'm coming with you" She beamed lightly, Fox almost laughing at her as she tried to pick up things a bit too heavy for her. She tried anyway.

"You got everything? Like your hair brush and stuff?" Fox asked while she was gathering things. "Mhm, and I got some of my bank cards to, so we got a place to store money without having to -oof- carry it around all the time" She replied while pushing some boxes towards the horses to hepl pack up. "And since it's morning, we can find a new hiding place, and then I can go get us some tents. Proper big ones. I saw some in a maganize this morning on my dad's desk. You can connect them all together like a little circle. That'll be good for us." She smiled, taking the maganize from her pocket to show Fox. (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Camping/Articles/Articles/The-Ultimate-Family-Tent/_ch3_ft854_pg1&h=0&w=0&tbnid=6xi3PZe-lTpfoM&zoom=1&tbnh=158&tbnw=318&docid=FXSTPwKIzPVJNM&tbm=isch&ei=HqdTU73mGYyV0QWL_YDoAw&ved=0CAIQsCUoAA)

This felt right, now she was here. Couldn't keep the smile off her face, but when at home, she sometimes dreaded waking up to lessons and responsiblities like being nice to people all the time.. Parties and politics. No. Here was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richelieu laughed at hearing her reason. "Well..it's your choice kid. Still, nice to have you back." He kissed her forehead and went back to packing. After a half hour, the three of them had what they could take with them packed up on the horses and pony.
"It's weird saying goodbye after so long..."
Fox hugged him. "We'll make it work boss. You still have me after all...and out little shopper girl too." Fox joked about Ingrid.

Raven laughed. "That's true. Alright, let's go. We need to find a nice place to camp out before it gets too dark out. Plus we'll need to find a new city or town to call home. Can't be too close to this one...too much tension and stuff. We'll have to move farther..."
He turned to Fox and Ingrid.
"You both ready to go?"

Ingrid blushed as Richelieu's lips touched her forehead. But she smiled it off, and made sure her pony could deal with the weight, getting him to canter a few steps forward. He was only small, still mostly a foul, but still, big enough for Ingrid. They'd grow together, which was the idea in the first place. She setlled herself up on the saddle, and nodded softly. "Yup~"

Thinking of moving farther away.. Well, it wasn't too bad. They had to. All the police here knew Richelieu and Fox by their faces.. Not just their names. That could make problems. Still not matter the distance, she promised to visit her family now and then, so she keep that promise. She just didn't tell Richelieu that yet...

He nodded and gently snapped the reins, feeling the horse begin to trot onward. He had no clue on where he would go or how long it would take to get there..but he was excited to find out.
This was just like a newfound exploring adventure. His adventures usually involved sneaking and stealing, so this was kind of a first for him. "We'll probably stay along the back roads and try to stay out of sight until we can get a good distance away."

They came to a fork in the road. The left path took them to the upper plains while the right took them to the next town across the way. Too close to Ingrids home..can't risk that just yet. He jerked the reins and the horse began to walk on the left path.

Status
Not open for further replies.