Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion (Spoilers Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so that does explain a bit more.

I still don't enjoy Benny at all, but at least he isn't shitting on sith philosophy in this case.

I guess.
But Anakin at least had some personality.
I mean, Lucas made the dialogue awkward as hell but Anakin at least acted well with facial expressions.

You got some personality out of that.
Benny though? Just mopey and tantrums.

That's an aspect I never considered.

But I still don't think it's enough for her to beat Benny.
I mean Benny may not have been challenged for a while, but he was still being trained by an emperor, and he was trained under luke.

He had formal and professional training. Rey just had one battle of wits.

Admittedly Fin is also a Gary Stu.
I'm just more angry about his traitor arc being shit on atm.

Rey I would still see as a Stu if male.
It's just that she lacks a unique arc that was ruined, so it's easier to call out her stu-ness because there's nothing else to critique.
And it's all fair criticisms! I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

But man, I have to entirely disagree about Anakin's acting. We had two movies where Hayden Christensen was the lead actor and I fucking hated him more than Jar Jar. A couple violent tantrums and Snape-like droning is infinitely preferable to Anakin "rape face" Skywalker and his insufferable whining about how unfair everything is every scene when he isn't forcing out the most unconvincing romance ever put to film.

>implying Ray hasn't clearly received some form of training before

What you think all those flashbacks were, bruh?
Someone needs to dub those flashbacks over with the most 80s montage music ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
She had a flashback of her parents ditching her, no sign of training.

And visions from touching Lukes Lightsaber, where she was simply running from things.
Seemed to imply she was getting visions on the lightsaber's history, or future events, not on her own history.

Reactions: Shiri
And it's all fair criticisms! I just wanted to offer a different perspective.
I get it. :P

I was just explaining why I don't think it makes up for the films short comings.
I wasn't trying to shit on your points or anything.

I get it. :P

I was just explaining why I don't think it makes up for the films short comings.
I wasn't trying to shit on your points or anything.

I know you weren't. :)

Also check last post, I edited a bit about disagreeing about Anakin in there.

But man, I have to entirely disagree about Anakin's acting. We had two movies where Hayden Christensen was the lead actor and I fucking hated him more than Jar Jar. A couple violent tantrums and Snape-like droning is infinitely preferable to Anakin "rape face" Skywalker and his insufferable whining about how unfair everything is every scene when he isn't forcing out the most unconvincing romance ever put to film.
I'd try to explain what I mean with Hayden Christensen, but Nostalgia Critic put's it best.

Need to change my title to Iwaku's Cunt apparently.

Nerds.

Need to change my title to Iwaku's Cunt apparently.

Apparently a dissenting opinion is something to resort to name calling for.
I think it was the shouting spoilers thing people are mad at.
Not the difference in movie opinions.

• Love
Reactions: TheGreyWarden
I think it was the shouting spoilers thing people are mad at.
Not the difference in movie opinions.
Oooooh yeah.

I did it at Harry Potter's seventh book release too. Too much fun. Besides, knowing the outcome doesn't mean SHIT when you've no idea of the journey.

No, you're just a cunt. If you think it's funny, you should try spoiling it on iwaku too, or to your friends.

Also, what's up with the accusations of gary/mary stu/sue? Can you at least try and provide examples of wish fulfillment instead of simply labeling? That's lazy argumentation.

No one complained when Gollum was CGI. And who knows? Could be that they will make him 'real' in later films.
It also wasn't a point of pride during the production of all 6 Middle-Earth films. Not to mention, you have shit like Maz Kanata's bar, where everything is practical and looks fucking awesome, and then *PFFT* there's Snoke, pouring the entire contents of the uncanny valley all over your eyes.

But I still don't think it's enough for her to beat Benny.
I mean Benny may not have been challenged for a while, but he was still being trained by an emperor, and he was trained under luke.
Not to mention, it doesn't explain how Rey was able to overpower Benny's attempts at reading her mind and reading his mind, instead.

@unanun Much as this is an "if the shoe fits" moment, please stop calling Windsong a cunt in public. We're supposed to pretend to be civil here.

@Windsong Don't really see what else you've got to contribute to this thread, given that you haven't even seen the movie. So how about you trot along before this becomes an issue, and then everyone's happy.

YAY, PROBLEM SOLVED.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth
@Gen. Magic Senpai

I'm not arguing or starting a debate here, just trying to say my point of view on certain things and what I thought was happening.

1) I didn't have a problem with Kylo's 'tantrums'. It just made him look emotionally unstable, and someone who just can't accept failure. (Come on now, adults in the real world act like this when something doesn't go their way.) He is wanting, so hard, to finish what Darth Vader started, and to basically get the 'approval' from a dead man, and every time they slipped away, it just showed, and no thanks to the general pointing it out to Ren, that he failed. He hadn't been trained long enough how to just take that Anger and put it away (Like a Jedi) or just to use it as a weapon (Like a Sith)

2) The whole thing with Finn. Yeah, I can see how it was rushed, but at the same time he had great hate towards the First Order and what they were doing. Those soldiers were willing doing what they were told to do (it appeared like as they did duty without question, unlike Fin)

3) The Starkiller base...I don't think the Republic knew about it. Obviously. Because of Star Wars logic and the Starkiller base being built in the Outer Rim and the Republic always going. "Lulz. Its the Outer Rim, why the hell should we be checking there for anything?" I mean, how many times (In EU included) have the Republic had to ship out to the Outer Rim after something had already developed, and they were a bit too late even though they could of stopped it before hand. Republic only cares about the Core Worlds, that is where the Republic is. The Deathstar 3.0 was indeed rushed in its showing and its downfall, but they had to do it.

Also. This is just a random thought/question for that damn thing. It used Suns...consuming them whole, It consumed two suns...how far could this thing reach to consume, or would it have to move in order to get a new sun?

Not only that. Yeah, they killed the Emperor, Vader, a good amount of ships and soldiers. But the Empire was vast, it controlled the entire known Galaxy. They still had a good amount of Military left, even without a Leader. That is where Snoke and other Generals/Admiral's stepped in and took over. That is probably why the Resistance/Rebels still exist, because the Republic is trying to build up a Military over the past 30 years, but the First Order/Empire is still massive in size. Military speaking.

5) Last, and I don't know if this is true because I have been too busy with work to look it up on my own. Supposedly, why Han died in this movie, was because Harrison Ford didn't want to be apart of Star Wars anymore, or that is what I was told. I don't know if that is true. But if it is, then that is why they might have just slapped Han in there dying.

6) Leia not being a Jedi...Having a parent(s) or sibling(s) that can use the Force does not mean you will be born being able to use the Force. Look at Anakins mother. She wasn't Force Sensitive, and she gave birth to one of the most powerful Force Users of the time.

Other than all that...I kind of agree with every ones view on Rey, but meh.

Last edited:
  • Love
I don't think the Republic knew about it. Obviously.
Exactly. The closest star to our own sun is about 4 light years away. That's a sphere with a 4 light year radius of completely empty space.

Before I watched the movie, from the trailer I speculated that the destruction of the Death Star 2.0 wouldn't do anything because the power vacuum would be filled so quickly. Unfortunately, the movie kind of put a bullet in that because they blew up 5 governing planets of the Republic (or did I hear wrong?).

@Grumpy sorry friend, my fingers keep slipping. I'll tape them up :(

The argument of Rey being able to resist Ren's force reading, and defeat him in battle is currently irrelevant.

Have you not learned anything from any of the films? It will be explained later.

First off. Chewie shot Ren with his bowcaster before they even started battling. Ren was obviously injured and they showed that more than once. It only got worse after fighting Fin.

That leveled the playing field for Rey.

Her abilities with the force can not yet be judged as we don't know hardly anything about her yet. Which appeared very deliberate. We obviously know that she is strong with the force. Seeing the flashbacks and hearing the light sabers call.

I would not be surprised if her parents or at least 1 was a Jedi. As the flashback is her parents leaving on a ship that is similar to the First order landing craft. We know the Jedi were hunted by the empire.

I'm about to throw out some crazy speculation.

I think Rey is the daughter of Kanan. Maybe even Ezra. I'm not quite sure what time period the Rebels action is taking place in. Their has to be a tie in somewhere. And we know how dedicated to the force and Jedi teachings Luke was, so it is unlikely that he had a kid.

It is possible that more characters will be introduced to explain this, but considering the characters we have, and looking for a Rebel tie in that we know is coming somehow (I hope), the only other force users that are known include Ashoka, Kanan, and Ezra.

I have no evidence to back it up, but it could fit in. Kanan and Ezra's personality allow for them to not follow the Jedi code exactly. In fact, Ashoka left the order. Kanan was just a padawan during order 66. So his teaching wasn't complete and he is stubborn. Ezra is just as stubborn. It is very possible that one of them got married or had a kid somehow.

• Love
The argument of Rey being able to resist Ren's force reading, and defeat him in battle is currently irrelevant.

Have you not learned anything from any of the films? It will be explained later.

First off. Chewie shot Ren with his bowcaster before they even started battling. Ren was obviously injured and they showed that more than once. It only got worse after fighting Fin.

That leveled the playing field for Rey.

Her abilities with the force can not yet be judged as we don't know hardly anything about her yet. Which appeared very deliberate. We obviously know that she is strong with the force. Seeing the flashbacks and hearing the light sabers call.

I would not be surprised if her parents or at least 1 was a Jedi. As the flashback is her parents leaving on a ship that is similar to the First order landing craft. We know the Jedi were hunted by the empire.

I'm about to throw out some crazy speculation.

I think Rey is the daughter of Kanan. Maybe even Ezra. I'm not quite sure what time period the Rebels action is taking place in. Their has to be a tie in somewhere. And we know how dedicated to the force and Jedi teachings Luke was, so it is unlikely that he had a kid.

It is possible that more characters will be introduced to explain this, but considering the characters we have, and looking for a Rebel tie in that we know is coming somehow (I hope), the only other force users that are known include Ashoka, Kanan, and Ezra.

I have no evidence to back it up, but it could fit in. Kanan and Ezra's personality allow for them to not follow the Jedi code exactly. In fact, Ashoka left the order. Kanan was just a padawan during order 66. So his teaching wasn't complete and he is stubborn. Ezra is just as stubborn. It is very possible that one of them got married or had a kid somehow.

One other idea I'd like to tack on to that comes from the mostly defunct EU. Don't ask me specifics, but I know this.

Han and Leia have three kids. Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo. All are force adept and have exceptional piloting abilities. (Luke has a kid as well, Ben Skywalker, which leads me to think they took bits and pieces for the new universe)

Jaina and Jacen get trained as Jedi, but Jacen goes to the dark side. Though I'm not sure how the arc plays out, there are multiple battles between Jaina and Jacen Solo.

This is all some crazy ass speculation, but it's a viable theory.

So... Rey is an expert pilot and force adept because she is the Solo's kid.

I'm just gonna hide now and pray my asshole stays intact from the coming violence.

• Love
One other idea I'd like to tack on to that comes from the mostly defunct EU. Don't ask me specifics, but I know this.

Han and Leia have three kids. Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo. All are force adept and have exceptional piloting abilities. (Luke has a kid as well, Ben Skywalker, which leads me to think they took bits and pieces for the new universe)

Jaina and Jacen get trained as Jedi, but Jacen goes to the dark side. Though I'm not sure how the arc plays out, there are multiple battles between Jaina and Jacen Solo.

This is all some crazy ass speculation, but it's a viable theory.

So... Rey is an expert pilot and force adept because she is the Solo's kid.

I'm just gonna hide now and pray my asshole stays intact from the coming violence.
That is possible, but I ruled that out based on the fact that Han did not appear to recognize Rey. He didn't make any mention of being on Jakku, and even had a story as to why the falcon was there. Ren, would have known through the force and likewise that Rey was related.

I threw out the EU references from my speculation because Disney has been unpredictable with that they have picked and chose from the EU.

Something similar to this is a possibility, but their were some things that went against this in the movie that I stated above.

Kanan is a decent plot in Rebels as well. Though Hera is the best.

I prefer to debate like an adult, so you won't find any insulting or rude comments from me.

• Love
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's more likely that Ray is related to Luke in some way. Something about the way he looks at her at the end of the movie suggests more than just a passing familiarity. It would explain the whole attunement to the force, and the 'no parents' thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.