Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion (Spoilers Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AetherDream it's 1/2 shoutout to old fans and 1/2 hook to people who may not have seen any of the prior 6. There are many ways to go about doing things, but at the end of the day they chose this particular one. Don't forget there are 5 more SW movies coming out over the next 5 years, so it's not like you need to be disappointed for too long.

Can we all agree that BB-8 was fucking adorable?

He was basically BALL-E.

So yes. Yes he was.

Also, since it's apparently required...

*INSERT IRATE DEMANDS TO KEEP THINGS CIVIL AND THREATS OF CONSEQUENCES IF THEY ARE NOT KEPT SO*

By which I mean fanboys pls go.

He was basically BALL-E.

So yes. Yes he was.

Also, since it's apparently required...

*INSERT IRATE DEMANDS TO KEEP THINGS CIVIL AND THREATS OF CONSEQUENCES IF THEY ARE NOT KEPT SO*

By which I mean fanboys pls go.
Hey Grumpy, what did you think of Kylo and his lightsaber? :D I personally thought it wasn't gimmicky despite popular criticism :D Like, it was well worth having it in. BB-8 gave me the little brother feeling when he was with R2D2 :D

Though I have to say, Kylo was my favorite character. Just the freakouts with the lightsaber were awesome. :D

His lightsaber was his lightsaber. He made it himself, so it wasn't stable. He was a Knight of Ren. Hence the cross guard design that was actually used and not just there for show.

Jedi and Sith have been making their own lightsabers for a long ass time.

Ezra's lightsaber hilt, is also a blaster.

It was cool, and fit perfectly.

• Love
Reactions: TheGreyWarden
Am I the only person that liked it? :/ Sure, it had some short comings like Deathstar 2.0 and silver stormtrooper, but I could forgive those. They've done waaaaaay worse Christmas special before.

I was most impressed that there was actually practical effects and puppetry in this one and that it melded pretty ok with the CG. The prequels sadly lacked the charm of puppetry and it made most of the CG feel - well as fake as it looked. The lightsabers actually looked like they had depth instead of a flat 2D effect(and I was in the 2D showing). I have waited a long time for this.

And for once I didn't hate the female protagonist! She wasn't a ball of damsel tropes or boobs with guns or pointlessly stoic. THANK GAWD!!! You have no idea how sick I am of the cookie-cutter chick personality appearing in every Hollywood movie. asdfhjkl She's literally flying by the seat of her pants and that is beautiful.

There are a couple ideas I wish they incorporated from the books, but the books have always been considered non-canon so meh.

Did anyone else get chills from the Luke Skywalker flashback? The composition and general silhouette was absolutely tingling.

@MurderDeathKill You realize that snoke was a hologram right? That's like complaining that the original blue-and-white pixelated holograms were bad cgi.

Hey Grumpy, what did you think of Kylo and his lightsaber?

It was pretty hype. Gave Renn that baser, less-refined feel about him, which fits his character well (given that he isn't supposed to be proper Sith). Crossguard on a saber isn't actually the worst idea in the world, either; I was hoping they might incorporate more attacks using it into his fight choreography, but it was done pretty well.

And when Ren took off his mask, I feel in love with him for some reason. The hair and the face were so cute. I am hoping that he is in Episode 8. And did it felt like they should of hold off the...

I too fell in love with him! And at that moment for some reason I hoped Rey would not feel the same :D

Episode VII was great! But then, all of the movies were great to me, so that isn't too surprising?

I was reading with the crossguard design on Kylo's lightsaber was actually less about guarding and more like exhaust ports because his lightsaber is unstable, which is why it has that really rough and high-energy look to it. Either way, it looked really friggin' cool in practice.

Also, anybody else pretty much shout, "What the fuck?!" when he stopped that blaster shot and held it there in that opening scene? I didn't think that was possible.

Reactions: Shiri and unanun
I was reading with the crossguard design on Kylo's lightsaber was actually less about guarding and more like exhaust ports because his lightsaber is unstable, which is why it has that really rough and high-energy look to it. Either way, it looked really friggin' cool in practice.

Also, anybody else pretty much shout, "What the fuck?!" when he stopped that blaster shot and held it there in that opening scene? I didn't think that was possible.
He achieved the highest level of Matrix immersion. He became Neo. Also enjoyed seeing C-3PO and R2 back together again </3

Fun fact: Blasters aren't light based. They're plasma weapons!

I can just see Vader rolling in his grave right now. Or, well, Anakin's force ghost sighing heavily whilst enjoying a nice chat with Obi-Wan.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie just fine. Definitely not one of my favorites (that honor belongs to RoTJ & RoTS) but entertaining enough. Something about the characters didn't interest me though, and the plot didn't seem to add anything new to the franchise (to be honest, the whole movie didn't seem to add much). Nice fanservice though, and amazing visuals. Ren's an idiot; an amusing idiot, but an idiot nonetheless.

Now, if we could just get some references to CW and Rebels, that would be great.

ITT: everyone needz 2 git gud

Movie is amazing at what it does, and did exactly what it set out to do. Plot holes abound, but I have a feeling they would have been filled in had editing done a better job (and we weren't hampered by a 2h16m run time). For the actual plot itself, pls2breadingabot Heroes Journey. Characters were perfect. @Windsong , you're a cunt.

Yeah, the whole crossguard thing with his lightsaber was because he crafted his own lightsaber with an unstable crystal. (Kinda like they mentioned Unstable Crystals in the EU) That it is why it was crackling and blah blah.

I thought the movie was just fine. I enjoyed Starkiller base, sadly it was destroyed too soon. But I understand why they destroyed it so soon, after introducing the completed Starkiller base, and shooting it and destroying 5 planets. They kinda had to shoot it again, or have it destroyed because if the movie went on without them shooting it. Then people are just going to be like "Why the fuck didn't they eat another sun and fire again?"

I thought the movie was great.

@MurderDeathKill You realize that snoke was a hologram right? That's like complaining that the original blue-and-white pixelated holograms were bad cgi.
My complaint isn't about the hologram effect itself, but the fact that Snoke the character is himself CGI, as in they didn't take Andy Serkis, throw copious amounts of makeup on him, and let him do his thing that way.

My complaint isn't about the hologram effect itself, but the fact that Snoke the character is himself CGI, as in they didn't take Andy Serkis, throw copious amounts of makeup on him, and let him do his thing that way.
No one complained when Gollum was CGI. And who knows? Could be that they will make him 'real' in later films.

Before I get started, I feel like my new facebook cover photo get's across my position in a nutshell.

12391908_10154474612103266_2663758233714609335_n.jpg

People can cry and complain at me all they want for more being 'too judgemental', 'spoiled' or whatever else kind of insults people throw at those with different opinions.
Just note I will not be bothering to acknowledge you, a movie despite it's hype, and despite how much you may like, deserves to be critiques by those with a different opinion.

It's perfectly fine if you liked it. Just don't go around treating everyone who didn't like shit over it.

-------------------------------------------------

Now, I just woke up from a 4-Day meet up with friends over this movie. Road-Trip in prep on Thursday, viewing on Friday, and then Saturday/Sunday was spent hanging out afterwards.

However, a good 8-10 hours of the friday night combined with saturday and sunday was spent by our group of nine universally not liking the movie so much, and going on about all the things wrong with it.
And it only stopped there because on Sunday someone else came who didn't see the movie yet, so we dropped the topic to avoid spoilers.

And because of that, I don't really feel like typing a giant rant about all my issues with it. I spent a ton of time on that already.
But I'm more than willing to discuss it with others if they are willing to.

One thing I will note though, said group of nine were actually a bit split on three different positions:

1. Phantom Menace was better
2. It's hard to say which is better
3. Episode 7 is better, but just barely

And note this is coming from nine different people who also universally agree that the Originals were far better.

(Also, not bothering with spoiler tags, the thread itself has a spoiler warning)
The problem with the characters is that they aren't given any amount of time to develop. Rey gets her force powers and learns how to use them in the span of 0 seconds for little to no reason other than it needed to happen.
Ray was a Mary Sue.
Expert Mechanic made sense, she grew up a salvager.
Expert Acrobat made sense, she salvages shit like star destroyers.

But the other stuff like Expert Pilot, enough force control to mind control people and skilled enough lightsaber use to take on a Sith?
That she had no reason to possess, or learn throughout the movie. She just got given all these things for no logical reason... And then had no character flaw either...
Unless if "Don't hold my hand!" somehow counts.
Kylo "Baby Face" Ren wasn't as intimidating as he was a bit of a crybaby who throws temper tantrums.
Oh man, when Krylo first took off his helmet my first reaction was, "Really? Why is he look so childish? Why...we really need to see less teeth." The fact that he literally threw temper tantrums in two scenes was beyond silly. It didn't help that his daddy issues were so front and center in his personality if only to parallel the father-son struggle in the original trilogy. It was like JJ and the writer were sitting in a room and someone said, "Hey, remember how Luke and Darth had a whole thing going on?" and JJ was like, "yeah" and that dude went on to say, "What if we did that again but like, this time the son goes to the Dark Side?" and then JJ shat his pants with glee.

Kylo Ren for the entire movie was just... A super moody and depressed Jon Snow with temper tantrums... Like I can't take him seriously, at all, so I'm just gona call him Benny.

I mean, I know Sith are big on using anger and emotion. But they use it as a weapon, as a way to strengthen them.
They don't just swing it at computers whenever they're upset.

And then the scene here he kills Han Solo?

I know his delay was meant to imply struggling to do so... But it just came across as mopey.
See's his dad, goes "There's one way you can help" before giving a mopey look for a few seconds before stabbing him and whispering 'thank you'.
Like that comes more across a depressed as hell child being sadistic over killing his dad, not any regret or anything.
Finn was just...a disappointment. He's a nice guy but the trailers set him up to be something that he's not. What is more problematic is how everything is rushed in the movie from the second act.

As for a "re imagining" of a New Hope, that's putting it very gently. It was essentially, A New Hope 2.0. That said, the visuals were incredible, a true feast for the eyes. But that's where the movie is strongest, the spectacle.
Finn was just...I really went into the movie looking forward to his character after seeing the trailers. But like you said, his character ark was absurdly rushed and his friendship with Poe went from stranger to best bud in no time at all.
Meanwhile Fin? On my god did they rush that!

There's a ton they could have done with that ark, have him re-face old friends, made him higher ranking so when people like Benny yell "Traitor!" it can make more sense. Like they knew him personally rather than are simply screaming at a random solider. Maybe he saved a fellow soldiers life, only to end up killing later while with the Rebels. And then there's the fact he was WAY to quick to just turn around and slaughter storm troopers. I mean, it makes sense for the main crew of Han, Chewie etc. They don't have any attachment to the Imperials.

But Fin left them just hours ago in some cases, but simply went "Screw you guys in the same situation as I was! You all die!". And even when they blow up the next Death Star, he shows no hesitation. That Death Star houses literally millions of his comrades, you'd think at the very least he'd have some hesitation?
Funny thing is, until you mentioned Phasma, I'd totally forgotten that she was even a character. As far as I can tell she was put down a garbage shoot and never heard from again. Who knows, maybe she died with Death Star 2.0 blew up.
Hopefully she comes back.

It's likely she called for help to turn the garbage shoot off and get her out, but I feel like that character could have had potential otherwise...
Then again, they ALL had potential and had it wasted.
Gotta love how they make this ultimate super weapon appear in the first of three films only to blow it the heck up in the same film. Where can they go from there? They can't possibly go bigger, that would just be silly.
They rushed the Death Star way too fast this time.

In a New Hope the entire movie was around it, getting the plans, escaping the station, destroying said station etc.
In this one it just came up out of the blue last second and the Rebels were like "Uh... Yea, this is a thing. Let's shoot at it".

No build up, meant to be far more powerful than the original, but went down in the fraction of the effort... Like really guys?
Also: Why the fuck isn't Leia a goddamn Jedi!? She's the twin sister of the greatest force user ever and instead is just... there. She should be the one in the middle of nowhere, moping about how her greatest failure was letting her son fall to the dark side. Then we coulda had Luke, Han, and the gang looking for Leia to help defeat Snoke 'n the Knights of Ren and also train Rey while Luke leads the Resistance. Having such heavy shit happen to her would also have explained why Carrie Fisher sounds like she's 80 in the film, no offense to the actually way younger Mrs. Fisher.
THIS!

I was completely dumbfounded to learn that Benny was a Sith, but Leia was never a Jedi.

Like... what? She had a good 20 years on Benny to learn! Being a Skywalker by blood why the hell wasn't she Luke's very first apprentice?
Also part D: Why, in a production that prioritized practical effects over digital effects, was Snoke fucking CGI? And not even halfway decent CGI like Planet of the Apes, holy shit.
All I could think in any sense that had Snoke was "Is this Lord of the Rings? He looks like a cave troll? Why is there a Cave troll? Why is said troll the emperor? What is going on?".
Still Also: Why the fuck is the Resistance a thing? They're being supplied by the New Republic, which likely could have just Zerg rushed the First Order at any time. Hell, they did nothing while the First Order was kidnapping children to use as their stormtroopers.
This too... Considering the size of their death star and the time that would have taken the Republic should have easily noticed and crushed them beforehand.

And not only that, we saw NOTHING of the Republic.
We have no idea what the Rebels ever ended up accomplishing, because it get's killed without any screen time.
To the point where when they die we as a audience give zero shits about it, because we have absolutely zero investment in the Republic.

Hell I cared about Alderran in a new hope more.
That was a single planet, no republic importance, and we never even saw the look of the people's faces.
But the genuine pain Leia shows to it dying it what makes the audience care.

Force Awakens? No characters are shaken, the audience is given no personal attachment.
Those planets dying is nothing except a light show.

One thing I want to point out is the Sith are gone, and Kylo is apparently the leader of a new group called the Knights of Ren. Given that they're pretty new and their leader is a young man who crudely built his lightsaber, they aren't going to be that powerful yet.

With that in mind, Snoke makes a big deal of Kylo going on to the next stage of his training. He almost seems like a parallel to Anakin being very powerful in his Padawan stage.

I think a big reason he was put at a disadvantage against Rey was because he has never had anyone to challenge his skill with a lightsaber. You don't get better at it if you have no one who can challenge you; there's no Jedi left, bar Luke. That and he was already wounded and in turmoil, he couldn't focus like Rey could, and that gave her enough of an edge to best him. It wasn't her skill that won, it was her atunement to the Force.

And as my girlfriend observed, he's probably the one that forced it out of her when he was trying to drill into her mind. He kept pushing, and she kept mentally resisting. It's that challenge she had verses what Kylo never had, not since Luke's training.

I also find it really interesting when people call Rey a Sue when she's hardly unique in the trilogy for being exceptional at a lot of things really fast. If she was a man, would people be calling her a Gary Stu or just criticising her development in general? You almost never see that label thrown at male characters.

• Useful
Reactions: Mglo and Astaroth
One thing I want to point out is the Sith are gone, and Kylo is apparently the leader of a new group called the Knights of Ren. Given that they're pretty new and their leader is a young man who crudely built his lightsaber, they aren't going to be that powerful yet.
If so that does explain a bit more.

I still don't enjoy Benny at all, but at least he isn't shitting on sith philosophy in this case.
With that in mind, Snoke makes a big deal of Kylo going on to the next stage of his training. He almost seems like a parallel to Anakin being very powerful in his Padawan stage.
I guess.
But Anakin at least had some personality.
I mean, Lucas made the dialogue awkward as hell but Anakin at least acted well with facial expressions.

You got some personality out of that.
Benny though? Just mopey and tantrums.
I think a big reason he was put at a disadvantage against Rey was because he has never had anyone to challenge his skill with a lightsaber. You don't get better at it if you have no one who can challenge you; there's no Jedi left, bar Luke. That and he was already wounded and in turmoil, he couldn't focus like Rey could, and that gave her enough of an edge to best him. It wasn't her skill that won, it was her atunement to the Force.

And as my girlfriend observed, he's probably the one that forced it out of her when he was trying to drill into her mind. He kept pushing, and she kept mentally resisting. It's that challenge she had verses what Kylo never had, not since Luke's training.
That's an aspect I never considered.

But I still don't think it's enough for her to beat Benny.
I mean Benny may not have been challenged for a while, but he was still being trained by an emperor, and he was trained under luke.

He had formal and professional training. Rey just had one battle of wits.
I also find it really interesting when people call Rey a Sue when she's hardly unique in the trilogy for being exceptional at a lot of things really fast. If she was a man, would people be calling her a Gary Stu or just criticising her development in general? You almost never see that label thrown at male characters.
Admittedly Fin is also a Gary Stu.
I'm just more angry about his traitor arc being shit on atm.

Rey I would still see as a Stu if male.
It's just that she lacks a unique arc that was ruined, so it's easier to call out her stu-ness because there's nothing else to critique.

>implying Ray hasn't clearly received some form of training before

What you think all those flashbacks were, bruh?

Status
Not open for further replies.