Spellheart [Luna & Jakers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shibo looked up, her eyes wide, before she looked down again with a chuckle.
"W-Wow, hehe. After an answer like that, I suppose I'll have to tell you about it, won't I...?" She whispered. Playing with her thumbs for a moment, Shibo took a deep breath, before preparing to get something off her own chest.

"His name was Terry." She began quietly. "...We'd always been great friends, ever since we were little. We were always the two tallest in the class, so we had a bit of a running gag going on, but... anyway." Shibo's feet began tapping on the floor. "This was all a while ago, but... everyone always used to joke that we should go out. We just laughed in their faces most of the time. Especially me, because... here's the thing..." Shibo closed her eyes, before letting it out to the first time to anyone ever: "...I... I-I... I'm not interested in boys. But... nobody else knew that. In fact, I don't think really anybody knows that. And I wanted to keep it that way."

Shibo's breaths seemed a little constricted. Had she really just said that to someone she'd barely known? What was it about Amiko that was so special? ...Nonetheless, she carried on.

"...So I sort of asked out Terry to hide the fact I'm... well, y'know, a lesbian. Sure, I'd never truly be happy with him, but... I enjoyed his company a lot as a friend... so, it couldn't be that bad having to kiss him once or twice, right?" Shibo cleared her throat. Where a blush might've been, it wasn't there at all. "Anyway. We were hanging out one day, and I sort of just... made this big confession out of nowhere. He didn't know what to say... but after a long silence, he basically said no in fifty words. After that, our day out was really quiet." Shibo whispered. She rubbed one of her eyes again.

"...And then, nothing was the same between us as friends. And in sparring, we never really went all out on each other at all like we used to. ...I rarely see Terry anymore. I've regretted the whole thing ever since, because... even if I knew I couldn't have truly loved him, it still hurt a lot when he said no. I ruined everything between us with one selfish and downright stupid act. Just because I'm so childish that I think people won't like me anymore because of my preference."

Shibo was hunched over the bed, biting her lip hard. She was strong enough not to cry about something as stupid as that by now, but it still hurt.

"...So... yeah. There it is. S... Sorry if anything I just said freaks you out. ...I don't blame you." Shibo whispered. Her breathing became more open, as if some sort of pain was choking her before, but now it was released. "...But you're right. It... it does feel... nice ...to finally get it out in the open. ...Thanks for listening."
Amiko listens throughout the entire conversation, taking note of everything that Shibo has to share. She takes a pause to really soak in the information. Amiko starts by gently laughing, "Oh Shibo. Everyone does stuff like that when they are young. To be honest, there are a lot of feelings like that, and it takes a while to grow out of them. Even now, I sometimes feel like I haven't grown up at all. But, there isn't anything freaky. There isn't anything unnatural about it. I mean, not everyone is a lesbian, but everyone tries to cover up the parts of themselves they aren't ready to accept. We don't just do it on the individual level, but even as a society. Here in Spellheart, I think everyone will relate to that in one way or another."

Amiko places her hand over Shibo's, "It wasn't your fault that things turned out this way, and while you might not realize it, your feelings aren't isolated either. Just as you wanted to hide that you are a lesbian, Terry too has something to hide. Ever since you confessed to him, he hasn't known how to accept those feelings. That is why he avoids you. He doesn't know how to be close to you while knowing about those feelings."

Amiko squeezes Shibo's hand, "And you don't give yourself enough credit. You aren't wrong that there are going to be people who don't feel comfortable with you being a lesbian. But that is such a small part of who you are. You are currently at the part of your life where you can do anything. Your kindness and strength can make you many friends. You can bring honor to your family by continuing to train in preparation to defend Spellheart. And you are loving enough to receive the love of a beautiful girl that drives you crazy. Just don't give up too easily."

Amiko closes her eyes, beginning to breathe in softly.

Marcy comes back a few moments later with an enthusiastic expression, "I got the pizza. Turns out that Kelly got the short straw. She ended up having to deliver the pizza since they are shorthanded today. I could tell by her face that she thought I was the one who made the call. I felt bad for her, so I filled her in on what happened. I got an interesting reaction out of that." Shifting focus, "But I take it that this one tired herself out." Marcy runs her hand through Amiko's hair. "She deserves a good rest. Let's go to the other room for some pizza."

To Amiko's response, Shibo seemed embarassed at first. But as she kept talking and talking, Shibo's breathing seemed to get slower; more relaxed, yet her body was curling up more intensely with each syllable. Every word felt so sage; so heartfelt; so genuine... that it was welling up some sort of empty-yet-filled space in Shibo's chest. Hearing it all come from that wonderful voice... it all just felt so overwhelming.

When Amiko took Shibo's hand, her lip quivered, almost as if she was about to start crying. Not that those tears were going to be out of depression or pain, it was just that Shibo was getting so emotionally built up. However, she held back her tears and urges to do anything else stupid. She just told herself she was a big girl now, and crying was for little kids. But something about the way Amiko was speaking just made Shibo want to open up everything she had, and fall into her arms.

When she was done talking, Shibo's upper lip trembled for a moment, before she spoke after a long silence.

"...I... I won't." Shibo said in near a whisper. She felt the warmth Amiko's hand for a moment, squeezing it a bit before letting it go. Turning her head, she gave a real, heartfelt smile to Amiko as she added, "Thanks."

She might've said more, but Shibo figured Marcy would up here any second. Almost on cue, Marcy entered the room, the waft of pizza coming through the doorway. Looking up, Shibo did her best to sit up and wear a normal expression once more. When Marcy offered to go to the other room, Shibo nodded with a smile.
"Yeah... okay." Just to check, "Are you alright with that, Amiko, or would you like us stay? We'll leave some pizza with you either w... oh." Shibo cut off, in realisation that Amiko had fallen asleep. All that talking must've really put her out of it. With a surprised blink, Shibo pulled the cover over the sleeping beauty.

Facepalming and chuckling to herself, Shibo got to her feet.
"Well, scratch that idea. It might get cold, but let's leave her some in case she wakes up and gets hungry anyways." Shibo suggested, walking out of the doorway with Marcy. Stretching her arms, Shibo moved to the other room, flopping on the sofa. "Welp. We ought to leave big thank you to Amiko for treating us to this, hehe~. We'd better enjoy it while it lasts."

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcy takes right to the pizza, clearly hungry after the day they've had. Marcy does seem to be looking at Shibo more often than she did before. To be fair, Amiko was what she was looking at before, but now it seemed like she was looking for a way to slide into the conversation. Eventually, she takes it. "So, you've started to get a glimpse at what Amiko is like when she gets interrogated. What are your thoughts on the situation? Anything you don't quite understand?"

Cracking open one of the cans of Wizz Fizz, Shibo took a big gulp before pondering on Marcy's question. Although she'd be given a few hints on what the interrogation had done to her, she was sort of clueless on the matter otherwise.
"...Well... all I've gathered so far is that she speaks her mind a lot more than normal. And I'm guessing her exhaustion has something to do with it...?" Shibo paused, taking another sip. "She also said something about 'embarrassing side effects' or something of the like. I won't pry to deep into that, but... I, uh... already have some ideas as to what they might be." Shibo mumbled.

"What I don't understand is what she did to put her on this 'watchlist' in the first place..."

Cracking open one of the cans of Wizz Fizz, Shibo took a big gulp before pondering on Marcy's question. Although she'd be given a few hints on what the interrogation had done to her, she was sort of clueless on the matter otherwise.
"...Well... all I've gathered so far is that she speaks her mind a lot more than normal. And I'm guessing her exhaustion has something to do with it...?" Shibo paused, taking another sip. "She also said something about 'embarrassing side effects' or something of the like. I won't pry to deep into that, but... I, uh... already have some ideas as to what they might be." Shibo mumbled.

"What I don't understand is what she did to put her on this 'watchlist' in the first place..."
Marcy enjoys some pizza while Shibo explains to her what she has picked up on and what confuses her. After Shibo finishes, she takes the time to finish a slice of pizza, she begins to talk. "The exhaustion isn't directly a result of the medicine. It has more to do with her state of mind. I know she doesn't look it now, but Ami gets scared when she is alone under the effects of the medicine. It has to do with the method they use to interrogate her. That is why we are here. We are the proof that she made it out. She likely only fell asleep because we were around. I can't imagine she has slept by her own volition since she was taken."

Marcy takes a sip of Wizz Fizz, "As for those side effects, even if you don't pry, you'll probably figure them out without meaning to. Just tread gently when you do. If you haven't noticed already, Ami is extremely perspective when it comes to people. If you start acting strange, she'll get worried about you."

Marcy lays back on the couch, "But I guess that is enough about questions you didn't ask. What would cause someone as sweet and considered as Ami to get put on a government watchlist? Actually, it is because Ami is that way that she ended up on a government watchlist. Shibo, are you aware of the Spellheart communications center?"

"Wow. She's on a watchlist because of her personality? If that isn't total B-S, then I don't know what is..." Shibo instinctively mumbled. Marcy was probably going to elloborate why this was, but she still couldn't help but get annoyed by it. She had utmost respect for her city, but an event like this was starting to give Shibo some slight bad vibes. Perhaps it was just a screw-up on their part that they were too proud to let go? A little sigh came from the military girl's lips, before she leaned over.

Finishing off her soda in one big gulp, Shibo pondered Marcy's question.
"Hmmm... Spellheart communications center? It does ring a bell... though... said bell is rusty as all hell. I think my brother might've mentioned it to me once or twice, but I've long forgotten what actually goes on there. Isn't it something to do with talking to other areas...?" Shibo pondered, though she wasn't actually that sure, and it was more of a wild guess on a memory than anything.

"Wow. She's on a watchlist because of her personality? If that isn't total B-S, then I don't know what is..." Shibo instinctively mumbled. Marcy was probably going to elloborate why this was, but she still couldn't help but get annoyed by it. She had utmost respect for her city, but an event like this was starting to give Shibo some slight bad vibes. Perhaps it was just a screw-up on their part that they were too proud to let go? A little sigh came from the military girl's lips, before she leaned over.

Finishing off her soda in one big gulp, Shibo pondered Marcy's question.
"Hmmm... Spellheart communications center? It does ring a bell... though... said bell is rusty as all hell. I think my brother might've mentioned it to me once or twice, but I've long forgotten what actually goes on there. Isn't it something to do with talking to other areas...?" Shibo pondered, though she wasn't actually that sure, and it was more of a wild guess on a memory than anything.
"I wouldn't worry about not remembering it. The government keeps it open, but it isn't encouraged for civilians to use it. The communications center is basically like a stronger version of the crystal ball. It connects Spellheart to the world beyond. From that center, you can talk to anyone from anywhere in the world. Naturally, such a device is heavily monitored. The culture of the outside world is extremely unlike Spellheart's. There are many who would wish nothing more than to drag our city down from the skies. Some do so for envy of our abundance of resources, others want our unnaturally high mage birthrate, some want to "free" us from our government, and some just love war. Regardless, these conflicting interests have lead Spellheart to a strict isolationist policy.

Amiko however, uses the communication center to the largest extent to which she can legally use it. I'm not sure what she does there, but since she was 8 years old she has been using the communication center. And since then, communications from the outside world have grown at a tremendous rate. You probably don't remember this, but there used to be a time when the communication center building had a staff of only 10 people. Since then, that number has grown to 115 people. The government isn't happy about this. They've come to Ami on several occasions during the time we were dating, asking her to desist her use of the communication center. They even offered her things like positions of power for herself, her family, her friends, me, but she turned them down. Ami, she is in the middle of something big, and whatever it is, she can't even tell me about it."

Shibo let all the information sink in for a long while, before placing her empty can on the table. She seemed to be in deep thought for a while, some flashes of recollection forming in her eyes. Shibo started to play with a strand of her hair for a moment, but stopped abruptly as she started to talk.

"...I see. Well, whatever that little minx is up to, I can't imagine it being anything bad." Shibo said with a joking chuckle, before going into a more serious posture. "But... yeah. The outside world. I haven't heard much about it, but my parents always told me that there's not much out there other than bandits, warmongers, and wastelands. Sure, there's a few nice places... but they always made it very clear that there was never any point of looking outside Spellheart." Shibo paused, tapping her bottom lip. "...I've always wondered what might be out there, though. How people build and create things without magic, or... how a whole society can survive without magic altogether. But I know how protective Spellheart is of its clients, so I never looked further into it. I just assumed that... well, it's mostly empty, and there's nothing for us out there."

"...It just makes me curious all the more about what Amiko's seen. It's certainly interesting to think about what she's doing there, isn't it? But... well, we might just get ourselves or Amiko in even more trouble." Shibo paused, looking inside the pizza box. There were about four or five slices left by now, so she quickly wolfed one down before continuing. "Mmmf... thams fms mfs mm-" Shibo swallowed and wiped her mouth, "-Er, I mean, thanks for filling me in on that, though. As absurd as the whole thing is, I'd like to think our superiors are only doing this to protect us. I'm sure it's true that there's some nasty people down there..."

Shibo had a distant look in her eyes - a look that wasn't really common for her.

"I have no doubt that everyone is just trying to protect us, but I'm just worried that Ami doesn't agree with something about the way we are being protected. I just know, if Ami is trying to protect something, she has a kind of strength that I don't have. She is the kind of person who would martyr herself without hesitation if it meant that she could protect the things she cares about. Whatever she is doing, it is important enough for her to throw away her social connections, to repeatedly come back broken from interrogation, and even cut ties with the family she loves so much. So even though I know they are just trying to keep everyone safe, I selfishly just want Ami to be safe, even if it came at the expense of everyone else. Amiko, her happiness, that's all I want."

"Hey, you." Shibo said, hearing Marcy's speech start to become more and more emotional. Putting a hand on the brown-haired girl's shoulder, Shibo gave a little smile. "We're here for her now, so she doesn't have to worry about being left alone anymore. Sure, these interrogations are less than ideal for her, but if this isn't truly what she wanted - or had - to do, she would've stopped a long time ago. We can't stop this from happening to her, but we can help her get through it. I'm sure we can keep her happy."

Shibo gave Marcy's shoulder a weak but firm grip, before letting go. Shibo hadn't known Amiko as long as Marcy, and her pain from having to watch her girlfriend/ex-girlfriend's suffering must've been on a far greater scale than Shibo's. She herself had been put in situations where you watched someone suffer, and there was nothing you could do about it.

Pausing, Shibo flopped back on the sofa, patting her stomach a bit.
"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm stuffed. Help yourself to whatever's left, by the way."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey, you." Shibo said, hearing Marcy's speech start to become more and more emotional. Putting a hand on the white-haired girl's shoulder, Shibo gave a little smile. "We're here for her now, so she doesn't have to worry about being left alone anymore. Sure, these interrogations are less than ideal for her, but if this isn't truly what she wanted - or had - to do, she would've stopped a long time ago. We can't stop this from happening to her, but we can help her get through it. I'm sure we can keep her happy."

Shibo gave Marcy's shoulder a weak but firm grip, before letting go. Shibo hadn't known Amiko as long as Marcy, and her pain from having to watch her girlfriend/ex-girlfriend's suffering must've been on a far greater scale than Shibo's. She herself had been put in situations where you watched someone suffer, and there was nothing you could do about it.

Pausing, Shibo flopped back on the sofa, patting her stomach a bit.
"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm stuffed. Help yourself to whatever's left, by the way."
Marcy pauses for a few moments. Taking a look over the hand on her shoulder, she seems to have Shibo's words on her mind. She closes her eyes for a moment, then sighs. Finally, Marcy turns to look at Shibo directly, "Could you do me a favor then?"

Shibo looked up from her relaxed position on the sofa, her eyebrow moving up with concern. That sigh didn't sound good... something big was probably coming, but Shibo vowed to the best job she could, whatever Marcy asked of her. So long as it was within reason of course. "...Sure. What is it?"

"As much as I don't want to leave Ami alone, my family has a curfew. I simply am not in a position where I can break that. So, could you spend the night with Amiko?"

Shibo didn't even pause in thought, and gave a slow nod in response to the question.
"Yeah... of course. I'm happy to do that." Shibo pondered for a moment. "Though, is there anything else I should know about her condition? Are there any little things I can do that'll help her, other than... well, being around?" Shibo asked.

"I'd like to tell you everything, but I also don't want to overstep my bounds. I don't know how much Ami wants to keep to herself. So, just stay attentive. If she asks you to do something, try to keep an open mind. She isn't the kind of person who says something for no reason. And... Well... I don't know how or why. But Amiko came to trust you faster than I thought she would. So, I don't think there is another person better suited for this. Just give her a little time, and she'll come to rely on you."

"Oh... I, um... yeah." Shibo mumbled, blushing a little. Hopefully any of the things Marcy wouldn't say wouldn't pop up - if some details were best left aside, Shibo didn't really want to know them. Embarssing secrets weren't meant to be shared unless it really came to it, after all.

"Well, I'm no Marcy, but I'll do my best to take care of her. Hopefully she gets better soon." Shibo said. She was glad she bought stuff like water with her - stuff like that would be quite important if she was going to stay here overnight.

"...Oh, and, sorry this is out of nowhere, but I never got a chance to say it. Well fought back there - that's a fight I'm never going to forget in a long time." Shibo paused, before sticking out her tongue playfully, winking with one eye. "I never would've thought someone your size could hit so damn hard. Hehe~." Shibo chuckled, before adding a quiet 'kidding' under her breath, laying back on the sofa a bit, though she seemed to be looking at the ceiling in anticipation and thought, somewhat.

"Oh... I, um... yeah." Shibo mumbled, blushing a little. Hopefully any of the things Marcy wouldn't say wouldn't pop up - if some details were best left aside, Shibo didn't really want to know them. Embarssing secrets weren't meant to be shared unless it really came to it, after all.

"Well, I'm no Marcy, but I'll do my best to take care of her. Hopefully she gets better soon." Shibo said. She was glad she bought stuff like water with her - stuff like that would be quite important if she was going to stay here overnight.

"...Oh, and, sorry this is out of nowhere, but I never got a chance to say it. Well fought back there - that's a fight I'm never going to forget in a long time." Shibo paused, before sticking out her tongue playfully, winking with one eye. "I never would've thought someone your size could hit so damn hard. Hehe~." Shibo chuckled, before adding a quiet 'kidding' under her breath, laying back on the sofa a bit, though she seemed to be looking at the ceiling in anticipation and thought, somewhat.
Marcy laughs, "Size has nothing to do with it. When you bulk up too much, it ends up slowing you down. I train my body with the intent to stay trim. That way I can keep chasing after my opponent relentlessly with one attack right after another. The idea behind the strategy is that I take away their power to go on the offense against me. That way, it doesn't matter that they are stronger. If all their strength goes into defending themselves, all the pressure is on them to be perfect. I need to be perfect only once. Even if it means there are some opponents I just can't beat, I'll rely on Amiko to be strong where I am weak."

Turning stern, "Anyway, you just felt the pressure because you don't have any fast moves. Don't you have any spells that you can cast without waiting a million years?"

Shibo pondered the question for a moment, before looking sheepish.
"Um... actually, no, I don't." She said with a somewhat dopey smile. "I'm hoping I'll learn some one day, but... I'd probably run out of mana to do my more powerful moves, even if I did know some quick spells. I usually end up with pretty much no mana at the end of all of my fights." Shibo paused. "I sort of have to rely on my swordplay, and any tricks I can bring with me, whilst I wait for my spells to go off. A fighter like you is sort of a nightmare for me in combat, but I got lucky and my mana went where I wanted it to go. You still got me good, though. It's a good thing that fight was only in illusionspace, otherwise my new home would definitely be a hospital for a year or two at least."

Shibo pondered the question for a moment, before looking sheepish.
"Um... actually, no, I don't." She said with a somewhat dopey smile. "I'm hoping I'll learn some one day, but... I'd probably run out of mana to do my more powerful moves, even if I did know some quick spells. I usually end up with pretty much no mana at the end of all of my fights." Shibo paused. "I sort of have to rely on my swordplay, and any tricks I can bring with me, whilst I wait for my spells to go off. A fighter like you is sort of a nightmare for me in combat, but I got lucky and my mana went where I wanted it to go. You still got me good, though. It's a good thing that fight was only in illusionspace, otherwise my new home would definitely be a hospital for a year or two at least."
"Unfortunately, that is actually how most magical duels go down. If you are an even match for your opponent, it usually ends with both combatants on their last legs. If you are are outnumbered or feel like you might lose, it is usually best to just run. Mages don't like chasing each other since it is just too easy to get ambushed in a battlefield."

Marcy continues to talk with Shibo about magical combat for hours. Marcy seems quite knowledgeable about this subject considering she can keep up with Shibo in animated conversation. Eventually, night falls, and Marcy looks out to the sky.

Longingly, "It looks like I'm going to have to leave before Ami wakes up." Bouncing back, "Well, it was fun talking. I'm going to get home now. Are you sure you are fine with staying here? Your family isn't going to worry about you right?"

"Nah... they'll be fine with it. I used to just sleep over other friends' houses in the past." Shibo looked at the floor for a moment. "...Though, it's certainly been a while since I did that. My parents'll still be fine with it, though." Shibo mumbled, giving a weak smile, a little pause being before she was back to her usual demeanour.

"Well... I'll do my best with Ami- uh, Amiko." Shibo scratched the back of her head. Hearing Marcy refer to her as 'Ami' a lot of the time was starting to mess with Shibo's mind a little bit. "You have a good night, alright? I'll give you an update on how Amiko's doing tomorrow." Shibo said. Pausing for a moment, Shibo seemed contemplating doing something else, before she went for it and gave Marcy a little cuddle.
"Whoops, hehe. Sorry, couldn't resist."

The hug was more sympathetic and designed to comfort her more than anything, as she could feel Marcy's frustration about not being able to stay. Plus, it was a friendly thing she'd done with some of her other female friends in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.