Shattered Horizon OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days rounds with as much healthy RNG as possible :3c

I'm here. 5 day rounds, dice rolling is left to Rodey. I'm too lazy to roll my own dice.

That's in actual dice RPGs. Generally, I don't care too much about it as much when it comes to combat, but I do ask people to do rolls when I feel like it. Asked people to roll to resist their teenage puberty horniness before. That was fun.

@Ehb
Because I want to bring discussion onto OOC now, I'll drop my comments here.

Click's character, I believe, is going to be someone who used to be part of the top three richest families in Illiserev. Might want to chat with him about your maid life.

Color changing contact lenses don't exist. Ain't got the tech for that. You can probably just set it as 'magical illusion' cast by someone else and maintained by her own reserves.

What's the Bartel Family's front? Or are they exclusively a 'hidden' family that the public are not aware of?

In regards to her assassination efforts during the genocide of Talze Utera, the two main powers of Talze Utera, the Witches and the Vampires, are already at odds with each other. I would say that she would have been set up on more sabotage-esque missions, such as poisoning their waters or weakening defensive structures, rather than go up against the heavyweights that were the assistants of the Witchmother and the Vampire Nobles. Both of them have measures that ensure that even death isn't the complete end for them.

The Elves of Talze Utera, having pretty much refused 'modern' concepts such as 'steel weapons' and 'stone mining', were basically primitive non-factors when the nations swept in. Using nature for magic is sorta hilarious when there's fire magic, after all.

To confirm...she mainly uses speed-buff magic with some wind and earth magic tossed in as well, right? And occasionally uses the Speak with Nature magical style that elves have? So basically, she's an Arts user? I'm assuming that your Finish Skills are things that she had since she was an assassin, not things that she obtained after getting Talentium.

@Wayward Killjoy
First off, just so you know, runetech isn't really affected by Talentium amplification. They haven't yet gotten the science to figure that shit out.

In order to differentiate from Elaina's speed-based fighting style, I'll say that, in consideration with the single-mindedness of Skill-based Talentium usage, Jacts's movement will be straight, with each change in direction having a loud impact accompanying it. His propulsion equipment won't be able to stop him, if it's runetech-based. At best, it'll be able to alter his direction.

What's the range for his Wall Projection?

In regards to Backdraft, I'd say that...his speed remains the same, but he can somewhat curve his linear path. Doing Arts and Skills at the same time, when considering how one emphasizes open-mindedness and another on single-mindedness...doesn't really work.

Everything else looks fine though. He's still strictly a bounty hunter? Most of his clients will probably be guards in small cities and towns then, who don't have the manpower to go after criminals or bandits themselves.

Oh? :U
Okay. I may have to work around with him some more to achieve the fantasy or just deal with the imperfections for now, after all there will always be room for character growth. I think he's smart enough to use his utility to make up for the added difficulty with what you've described.

His wall range would probably extend the length of most commonnal alleyways as that is the sole reason he picked up the skill, but like I said, outside of enclosed spaces the wall isn't very effective As it's only 1 hard wide and 3 yards long I'd assume. Plus it's the same basics as his shield so it can break when assaulted but it'll at least slow down someone momentum when running.

Also, he's both a bounty hunter AND a mercenary, pretty much pay him and he fights or captured something. When he's not on a job though I would say he's either training or researching things.

Last edited by a moderator:
[bg=white]
yah9zEX.jpg

6nzOlVw.png

[bg=#333860]
Basic Information
[/bg]

Name: Benedicta Militem Keep
Birthplace: Astopol
Personality: Benedicta is valiant, indomitable, and outgoing. She strives to represent as best she can the myriad deeds and legends of her family, believing herself to be just as much a pillar of the Keeps as her older sisters. She is well aware of her own desires and actions; she understands that she strives for glory above all else, but shows no shame in the selfish behavior. There is no higher purpose to a knight than victory and greatness; all else that is good in the world comes from this achievement.

Benedicta cannot be swayed, even in the most grim of situations. Her heart is firm, steady, and serene, yet burns with the drive and dreams of a nation at its core. Battle, above all else, is the testing grounds of faith and the true measure of skill. She lives for battle, and stresses to her peers that they must all serve their best. Likewise, her faith in Astopol's beloved Goddess is unshakable, and her allegiance to the Head Priestess unquestionable.

[bg=#333860]
Biography
[/bg]

Benedicta was a mere five years old when the war was about. Hidden away in the Astopolian capital, she had little understanding of what was truly going on. Only tales brought back by injured knights and fleeing citizens could reveal the sheer devastation that had been wrought upon their country at the forefront of the campaign. Still, she was ecstatic even at that young age, and fancied herself a future knightess, just like her older sister Mirelle.

As she grew older, she took to the art of chivalry and combat like she was born with it. Her young years were spent in timeless training and learning; there was no room in her heart for anything but success and endless drive. Her nation depended on her, she thought, and she would make it proud. Her sole purpose in life seemed to be attaining that picturesque embodiment she felt her sister had, despite her now absentee nature away from the Keep family itself. Hopefully, Benedicta thought, she could fill that void, or encourage Mirelle to return.

[bg=#333860]
Fighting Style
[/bg]

I5pL0Q1.jpg

Benedicta is a walking 'Coat of Arms', evoking the greatness of Astopolian Keep knights from wars past. From the spirits of these legendary warriors, Benedicta can adopt representative Sword Skills that embody the myths surrounding them. This, of course, requires a few things from Benedicta; that she trusts in the tales of these warriors, and that she trusts in her ability to wield them. If any of these things should falter, her power to evoke their names wanes, and the efficiency of her usage of the corresponding abilities becomes negligible to the point of uselessness.

As of now, Benedicta can channel the spirits of three particular Astopolian knights, one of which was known in the Talentless Strife. Each grants her particular Sword Skills of immense potency, though she can only channel one at a time. It takes a moment, as well, to evoke their names and bring to herself their abilities.

The Coat of Arms she possesses thus far can channel the abilities of:

Invictus Nator - "The Duelist"
Grants Benedicta the "Humbling Strike" Sword Skill. This Sword Skill requires one particular thing; an opponent's mistake. Invictus Nator was known as the Knight of Perfect Dance, among other titles, for his ability to punish even the mildest of mistakes in an opponent's skill. One false move and that was the end. One had to be 'perfect' in their fight against him. From this Sword Skill Benedicta gains an immense upper hand when it comes to dueling one-on-one; should her opponent make a mistake, even a mild one, Humbling Strike can be evoked to deal a grievous blow.

Drakanael Martosi - "Mythslayer"
Grants Benedicta the "Apocalypse" Sword Skill. Drakanael was married into the Keep family and maintained his alien martial form with the spear, as opposed to the dual-sword stance that the famous family adopted. Drakanael slayed every Rift Beast he encountered, every time, without fail. When faced with a target, they were sure to die in a glorious Armageddon of earth and fire. The Apocalypse Sword Skill is Benedicta's true "finisher" or "kill move" as was the case for Drakanael himself. Benedicta leaps miles into the sky before turning back to fall down to the target, gathering wind as additional force. The impact is apocalyptic, hence the name. Apocalypse is meant as a "large target" focused move, developed to outright destroy enormous Rift Beasts. The move takes several minutes to complete given how high she goes, and so requires a partner to distract the target.

Gabrus Keep - "The Destiny Charge"
Grants Benedicta the "Gloria" Sword Skill. Gabrus Keep was a notable Astopolian captain who led historic battles against forgotten enemies, and was known for his fearlessness and ability to rouse troops. Under his banner and cry, troops could decimate designated targets with terrifying efficiency and fervor. Gabrus's banner was passed down to Benedicta herself; the keepsake helps her evoke the knight's name far more easily than others, making Gloria her most potent and well-versed Sword Skill. Any target that Benedicta manages to harm is marked for death, empowering the attacks of all other comrades upon said target. When evoked, the flag alone emits a rallying effect, granting comrades increased stamina and mental fortitude.

[/bg]

Last edited by a moderator:
BvJC1SC.jpg

"Oh boy. I'm so excited. Not." (Can I just add a theme song later? Super brain dead when it comes to music right now.)
Tristan Norwyn
The Ashen Revanchist

Personality:
Tristan is a very... 'Normal' person, personality wise. Possessing no real personality quirks, he prides himself on his ability to become 'one' with a crowd. Nothing about him stands out, and he likes to keep it that way. Somewhat socially awkward, he's not very good when it comes to conversation. While sociable, he'll never go out of his way to strike up some chitter-chat. All in all, he's a quite... 'whelmed' individual.

History:
Son of a knight and witch, Tristan grew up in Astapol unaware of his origins. Instead, he grew up like most other children of Astapol. In an orphanage where he was taught the art of combat. His performance was quite average, intentionally going out of his way to stay in the middle of the pack. If he had poured all of his effort into his training, he could have easily been above average, yet still below the children who were obviously God's gift to mankind. Damn Chosen Ones.

Yet the war reached its end before any children were thrust into the battlefield. Because that would have been crazy. Instead, he and his fellow orphans were conscripted to a War Company. The idea was for them to continue their training before becoming apart of Astapol's official army. And many did. Except for Tristan. He literally fell down a hole into a cave where he was assumed to have died.

But he didn't. It wasn't a massive drop so he got off with only a sprained ankle. After making his way out of the cave, he figured he had two choices. A: Go back to the War Company. B: Adventure. 15 year old dumbass Tristan chose adventure. And boy did he get more than he bargained for. While he does his best to keep his history private, it's a well known fact he was involved with The Whiteviolet Purge, though to what extent is unknown.

Now 22, Tristan is a mercenary, though he frequently finds himself taking commissions from the Astapol Army to handle matters they deem important, yet not worth expending man-power on.

Fighting Style:

Using only a Talentium Sword, Tristan prides himself on his ability to adapt to a situation. His training in the War Company primed him to fight like an Astapolian Knight, yet his own experiences let him refine and hone his ability. Be it fighting aggressively with fast and swift strikes or taking on an opponent with slow and precise attacks, the Ashen Revanchist can hold his own in most situations.​

Skill:
Death's Dance - Tristan has always been the quiet and perceptive type, and his synergy with Talentium mirrors this. In short, the longer Tristan fights someone, the more he adapts to their style of fighting, to the point he can 'see' the choreography of their attacks. This only extends to basic attacks - Death's Dance has no effect on the Arts or Skills of others.​

Quick question - what's the general limit/number of Talentium-based skills a character can have?

@ERode

The Bartels were just the one Merchant Family that enforced Illiserv's support of the war effort. There was this situation about some families who refused to help or did things that disrupted the 'national agenda' at the time. Officially, the Bartels dealt in Ore - possessing a near-monopoly on quicksilver that is currently valued as a material for luxury items. The Quicksilver Knife Elaina has was likely commissioned by them, with the Bartels also providing the materiel for it's construction.
I'll say that the Bartels are one of the families under the one of the wealthiest Illiserevian families (basically, one of the ones that are actually in power), to justify why they've specifically trained peeps to enforce the national agenda. Everything else is now daijoubu though.

@Izurich
Nightingales can be one of the people who invested in airship technology to begin with. That means they should still mainly be focused on the manufacturing of other vehicles though, because airships have only been around for less than six years, and that most of the runetech parts are specifically manufactured in Dansila.

Little Agatha doesn't make sense yo. She'd be 18 when airships became a thing. Airships are basically just more complex sea ships though, so maybe her fascination began with big boats?

Just saying, but the white oak is going to snap like a twig. Either have the talentium make up the entirety of the bo staff, or have it be a rod inserted in the center of the wood to reinforce it.

Windrun wouldn't be a thing. Turning your body into wind is going to kill you. No joke. If you want something that so blatantly 'nopes' reality, it'd be a Skill.

Just note that she can't make air come out of nowhere. Wind magic is the manipulation of pre-existing air, so fire magic would be her hard counter.

@Reanimator Bob
Kekekeke...what the hell's up with that pose? XD

Why does she have long hair? Is it not just a deterrent in combat? Sounds more logical just to cut it off.

Barriers generated by runetech, relative to footsteps empowered by Talentium, would be like walking on thin ice. You'd probably sorta just stomp through your flimsy barriers. It'd still be enough to allow you to somewhat stay afloat or ascend or just maneveur in the air, but it's not going to be as effective as if she was to say, run on solid ground or walls.

Honestly, there's a fuck ton of speed types. Might want to reconsider this, or remodel her specialties.

Oh? :U
Okay. I may have to work around with him some more to achieve the fantasy or just deal with the imperfections for now, after all there will always be room for character growth. I think he's smart enough to use his utility to make up for the added difficulty with what you've described.

His wall range would probably extend the length of most commonnal alleyways as that is the sole reason he picked up the skill, but like I said, outside of enclosed spaces the wall isn't very effective As it's only 1 hard wide and 3 yards long I'd assume. Plus it's the same basics as his shield so it can break when assaulted but it'll at least slow down someone momentum when running.

Also, he's both a bounty hunter AND a mercenary, pretty much pay him and he fights or captured something. When he's not on a job though I would say he's either training or researching things.
Difficulty is good. If I get the impression that things are too easy, I'll just scale up the difficulty. Last time I did that, one person was permanently disfigured, another was tossed into a dark hole, one felt the despair of being totally useless, and another lost her means of effective combat. So yeah, enjoy the suffering~

1 hard wide? You mean one yard? I'm fine with that then. I'll set the range to...three hundred meters in any direction from him. It can't manifest through any objects that are in the way though, so if you project a wall where there's a box, the wall won't go through the box.

Researching? He's an academic too?

@Asuras
RAISE YOUR FLAGGGGGG

Funny story is that Sarier's little sister from EH was going to be a flag-swinging badass.

Another funny story is this girl.

Anyways, I'll probably do some more detailing in Astopol's religion in the future, but right now, there isn't that much actual 'faith' required for the religion. The Goddess is alive, after all, and occasionally manifests herself within the Head Priestess. It's basically why Astopol's weather is so good, and why their lands recovered from the war so quickly.

After the war and the subsequent stabilization, Mirelle would have settled down in a quiet place outside of Astopol. Probably not show up as often to family dinners and all that. Became a bit of a recluse, away from the fame she generated. Perhaps you can flavour Benedicta's lust for 'proving herself' as wanting to attain the same level of fame that her ancestors and relatives have, so that the stories of her achievements would spread over all the continent, reaching even the ears of wanderlusted-inflicted middle-aged heroines.

To elaborate, by channel, you mean that she has to actively be planning on using them, right? Like, say for Humbling Strike, she'd have to be embodying Invictus specifically for the duration of the fight, instead of just plainly fighting some chump and then activating it immediately when they slip up?

Note that Gods of War never actually fought Sword Skills users, and vice versa. The Apocalypse Sword Skill won't be a thing when the Coalition fought the Empire.

>subject to empowered Light-based magics that accompany any strike her comrades make against said target
Sounds a bit too magical. I would recommend an on-hit effect that was focused more on what a charge is actually about. Perhaps something like...'all those that she strikes are blown away by the force of her charge'?

Everything else is chill though. Jeanne is muh fetish.

@Jageroux
There's no limit on Skills, but thing about it this way. Skills come from single-mindedness, basically stemming from the strength of your willpower and devotion to a singular purpose. If you have multiple singular purposes, how strong do you think those purposes really are?

Is Tristan normal because it's 'useful'? Or is he naturally just someone who doesn't actually have much of a personality?

PM me details about the Whiteviolet Purge.

I will say that your Death's Dance allows you to modify your physical boost to suit your opponent. Just note that it means that Tristan will generally be on the losing end of the fight to begin with, because he needs time for adaptation. Also, Arts are essentially a martial art in and of itself. Death's Dance not working against that is probably going to make it a really shitty Skill. XD

@ERode

Profile updated.

Added the part about Nightingales playing a major part in Airship invention.

Done, makes Little Agatha fascinated with seafaring vessels instead.

Gotcha, I chose the latter, a Talentium rod inserted in the centre to reinforce the staff.

Moved "Windrun" to the Skill section and renamed it to "Shining Wind"

Done, edited the "Fighting Style" point and by extension, the whole "Combat Abilities" section.

-----
@Ehb

Added Agatha's history with Elaina in the "Profile" section.

-----
@Click This

Added Agatha's history with Lyra in the "Profile" section.

@ERode
I wouldn't go as far to say he's an academic, but he's not your typical brutish sword swinger out to kill things. He's very meticulous and calculating and is in constant search of new ways to outsmart his opponents. He may not be out there developing rune tech, but when a breakthrough or something is made he will immediately be researching it just to see if he can use it, similar to developments in Talentium uses or new types of magic even if it's not his forte. I could actually see him learning more magic in the future, especially if he were to suddenly get crippled. Lets out it this way, he's more interested in researching applications.

Oh and... I don't spell check my oocposts XD especially when I'm typing them on my phone, sorry about the measurement thing.

@Reanimator Bob
Kekekeke...what the hell's up with that pose? XD

Why does she have long hair? Is it not just a deterrent in combat? Sounds more logical just to cut it off.

Barriers generated by runetech, relative to footsteps empowered by Talentium, would be like walking on thin ice. You'd probably sorta just stomp through your flimsy barriers. It'd still be enough to allow you to somewhat stay afloat or ascend or just maneveur in the air, but it's not going to be as effective as if she was to say, run on solid ground or walls.

Honestly, there's a fuck ton of speed types. Might want to reconsider this, or remodel her specialties.
Huuuuh... Yeah, damn, so many people are beating me to the punch on this one. But never to fear, I shall have a character up that is not like the others!

Huuuuh... Yeah, damn, so many people are beating me to the punch on this one. But never to fear, I shall have a character up that is not like the others!
Yeah I think a lot of us had the same idea in mind so I'm trying to tweak my character a bit too ^^

These speed freak plebs. No matter how fast you become, you'll always be overshadowed by Mirelle's 'herp derp, so fast she nopes reality using magic'.

Speed and agility are two different things! So far in terms of physics, Jacts seems to be the only "speed" oriented while the others are more "agility" oriented. While others are using speed primarily as a dodging thing, Jacts' speed is purely for momentum's sake and pushed what was already a strong arm and a heavy blade to maximum fucking physical power through the use of simple physics.

I haven't looked too much into the other characters, but just because they're speedy doesn't mean they aren't different. Now, if like every other character is talking about dodging and countering, then yeah we have a problem. I feel comfortable enough in Jacts identity as an unstoppable object who's pure mobility and utility keep people from running from him, but he's not using his speed as counterplay like most people do. Kinda like Sloth from FMA:B, already super strong and super heavy, put the speed on it and it's ridiculous. x3

And I'll just put this out there, the entire "I'll just stick my sword/lance/weapon thing out in front of me when he charges" won't work, but I'll leave that to when someone actually tries it.

Jacts' speed is purely for momentum's sake and pushed what was already a strong arm and a heavy blade to maximum fucking physical power through the use of simple physics.
That was actually Ariana as well. She builds up momentum to cause insane aerial attacks that could send people flying, in which she'd juggle them. But I'm developing a more tanky guy now

That was actually Ariana as well. She builds up momentum to cause insane aerial attacks that could send people flying, in which she'd juggle them. But I'm developing a more tanky guy now
I actually just read your character sheet... you did not describe her that way in the slightest, but regardless she still wouldn't have been Jacts as that's still not close to what Jacts does xD Have you seen Sloth from FMA:B? He's not going to juggle you, he's going to one shot you.

I meant she was using momentum for powerful attacks, not to dodge. That's where the similarity between the two end though you are correct.

@ERode
Her Humbling Strike is something she is actively channeling, but is fully "activated" when she notices a mistake in her opponent's execution.

Also for Gloria, it's meant to moreso be an inspiring support thing, not really something as simple as pushing them back.

Blatantly copypasted from the Index with edits. Because fuck you, that's why.​

Sy3jY2z.png

"Whatever you want, it can wait until after my morning wine."

Name
Alexa Granville

Race
Human

Physical Characteristics
- 5'9"
- 145 lbs
- Auburn hair
- Hazel eyes

Personality
Confident to the point of cockiness, and with a hot-blooded, reckless streak to boot. Enjoys fighting and gets a kick out of the thrill of testing her skills, as well as the adrenaline rush. Also a sarcastic bitch that likes to troll piss off tease people for shits and giggles. Doesn't really do it out of malice, though. Deeply protective of people she actually likes, and would gladly kill in defense of them.

Biography
As the only child born to the fourth wealthiest family in Illiserev, Alexa grew up in the lap of luxury. The Granville merchant family owned five estates, three islands, and a few hundred servants, thanks to their booming international trade company.

Of course, success breeds jealously in others, and as such, plenty of unsavory rumors sprang up about the real source of the Granville family's wealth. As a result, Alexa had quite the hard time going through her primary schooling as a child, thanks to jealous classmates that believed all the rumors about her family. Thankfully, one of her professors eventually stepped in and introduced her to the arts of war, swordfighting in particular. The professor's son, one Lucius Courtright, regularly instructed her in how to wield a sword and fight with it, and Alexa became enamored with the adrenaline rush of fighting. After a display involving her burgeoning Sword Arts skills, Alexa was pretty much left alone.

In her teenage years while studying in Dansila, Alexa applied to a proper academy for teaching Sword Arts and Skills, and eventually graduated with honors and third in her class. While displeased at her chosen degree, Alexa's parents tried to salvage the situation and encourage her to pursue a graduate degree in education, so she could eventually return to Illiserev and instruct prospective maids and butlers how to fight, as teachers at servant schools held relatively prestigious positions.

Having no taste for staying in one place, let alone spending the rest of her life teaching, Alexa flipped her parents off and struck out on her own, becoming a wandering mercenary for hire. Along the way, she picked a fight with a group of slavers that were threatening one of her childhood friends and killed off a good deal of them before taking said friend along with her on her travels.

Of late, she's gotten herself kidnapped and shipped off to be sold as a slave.​

Sword Arts
Alexa wields a talentium alloy hand-and-a-half sword, with a blade length longer than a traditional longsword, as well as a grip large enough to allow for it to be wielded with both hands if the need arises. However, it is still light enough to be wielded with only one hand.

Blitzkreig - As a wielder of the lightning element, Alexa's battle philosophy is hit hard, hit fast, and make sure they don't get up after the first strike. And if they do, keep beating the shit out of them until they fall down. Talentium-enhanced speed and strength, bolts of lightning, and crushing blows of thunder are all on the table. She overwhelms her foes with strength enhanced by straight-line speed. With sword in one hand and spell in the other, Alexa relentlessly delivers blow after blow to her foes. She can also enhance her sword itself with lightning, shocking a foe with even a slight graze, giving her an opening to land a decisive blow. Of course, this focus on offense leaves her rather lacking in any real defense outside of dodging and parrying her opponents' blows.​

Last edited:
A super fast sword wielder with lightning empowered strikes... huh...

It's almost like...

We have one of those...

OF FUCKING COURSE AFTER I TALK ABOUT HOW JACTS IS DIFFERENT THEY POST THIS CS

And it's a returning person? ;-; My originality... where did it go.... ;-;

A super fast sword wielder with lightning empowered strikes... huh...

It's almost like...

We have one of those...

OF FUCKING COURSE AFTER I TALK ABOUT HOW JACTS IS DIFFERENT THEY POST THIS CS

And it's a returning person? ;-; My originality... where did it go.... ;-;
Alexa ain't Sloth-style though. She isn't about dash attacks, she's about attack-spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.