Shards Ch.1 - How it all began...

@FireDrake150 - new character is accepted, sorry I didn't see that I didn't get new alerts (a cookie brought me back DX)

@CreepyShutIn - Extra energy, yes - though depending where you swing it, the mace could either be electrically charged or VERY VERY VERY hot and such. And throwing it in a fire makes it become a superball.

Reactions: FireDrake150
its alright, I have had a few alert issues recently too. ^^

How rare would you say the orange crystals are? And how durable? Would you say it's reasonably practical to have a bigass warhammer with a head made of one?

Orange crystals are about the fourth most common crystal, although having a hammer head made of one for a weapon could be hazardous - the mere fact of walking might cause slight burns if touched, and not especially useful due to all crystals being varying degrees of brittle save for blue - however, having a warhammer forged from orange steel (all crystals can be shattered/powdered with enough brute force, and the powder can be used as a coat or as a complement for an alloy, giving that alloy diluted effects) would be much more safe and have the effect you intend. Though be careful - as stated above, I am not accepting overpowered characters - and as such, you will need to balance out your character somehow if he is to wield both a warhammer and Color Magic.

Ah. I'm just wondering how the color magic would work in practice, since it seems the effects can only be had by using the crystals directly as tools (e.g. swinging them). I figured that would be a good way to make them effective, but it sounds like there are other, less direct methods? But I guess that's what we'll be learning over the course of the RP. Might just nix the warhammer idea, at least for now. See what I can do with just orange color magic.

Name: Tara Raines
Appearance: Tara is a tall, somewhat lanky woman with dark skin, emerald-green eyes and flaming red hair. She is fairly attractive overall, if somewhat rough around the edges - especially in how she's shaved the sides of her hair and tied the rest back in a long, loose ponytail.
Color: Orange
Bio: Tara Raines was the daughter of an African trader and an Irish fisherwoman. Born a half-breed in a time when such things were greatly frowned upon, she grew up with few real friends and learned to treasure those she did have. In response to taunting and dark looks from the villagers she developed a hard head and a hot temper belying a clever mind. By the time she turned twenty she knew she wouldn't find work in the village as no one would hire her, so she took off for the larger cities, hoping to find better luck there. Through a twist of fortune she came into possession of an orange gem. While at first she saw it only as a novelty she later took to studying its magic, seeing it as unique and under-appreciated – much like herself.
Disposition: Warm, friendly, short-tempered, hard-headed, brash, boisterous.

Last edited:
Woo! Okay, one other question - more to see if I understand the concept than anything. It's probably really impractical to actually do, so just call it a thought experiment. If you threw an orange crystal through a fire and it picked up the heat to become basically a superball like you said, then impacted with something on the other side, it would hit with the extra speed and impact gained from the fire and the energy of the impact itself would trigger the release of added heat or electricity, right?

Sounds like weapons - especially arrows - with orange steel heads would be devastating. If also incredibly hard to make, since you'd have to powder something that gives off heat and electricity when you hit it. You'd basically have to cause an explosion just to get enough powder to mix in... Suddenly I can see why that's not widely used.

This is fun! Okay, I've thought of a relatively safe way to produce orange powder: If you grind the stone down gradually, say with something like sandpaper, it could be done with a slow output of heat and electricity rather than sudden bursts. The downside? Unless you use a blue gem to grind it, your materials will wear down fast due to the constant stresses from high heat and electricity. What's more, it would be a delicate and time-consuming process, requiring constant care and focus so you don't apply too much pressure and cause a burst. The whole thing would take a long time, wear down tools and be extremely difficult, all of which translates to ridiculously expensive.

This has the happy effect of making an orange steel weapon extremely rare and valuable, and thus much cooler than if it were common. If you have a mace with an orange steel head, that is telling the world you are important and not to be messed with, because someone with a lot of money trusted you with that thing. Probably a champion or a at the very least really exceptional knight.

Isn't it great when things work out that way?

Are you in my head? Get out of my head.

As a side note, I'll be sure to let you know if I end up needing a co-GM. You really get what this is all about.

Is there any particular experience requirement? ^ ^

Nope - you look like you got grammar and spelling right, so you got all you need.

Wonderful! I have a question; is white magic an option? It wasn't listed under your research, though I assume it is representatuve of something akin to clarity?

White magic is accessible - though I have to let you know that, should you pick it, things will be significantly harder on your character at first. The reason why it hasn't been listed is that, like the Grey crystals, it's magics are not yet understood/known as of the beginning of the RP.

All the more reason for me to pick it! I shall have my CS up tomorrow at some point.

Alright - the RP will probably start somewhere in February.

Name - George Renton
Age - 18
Appearance - A tall youth with dark hair that falls across his left eye, scruffy in a strangely deliberate manner. He wears eyeglasses and often dresses simply in his apprentice robes, consisting of mainly black attire, in respect to his master who passed away. He has rather pale skin, and piercing blue eyes.
Colour - White
Bio - Born to a hardly affluent family, his humble beginnings could not restrain his ambition. Through sheer determination driven by an insatiable curiosity he attained apprenticeship with an acclaimed alchemist at the famed Oxford University. The youngest to have completed higher grammar education, his thirst for knowledge led him to the crystals. He found himself drawn to the mysteries of white magic, fascinated by the unknown potential but also associating it with hope and knowledge, the illumination provided in the dark that he so desires. After the death of his master he found comfort only in his pursuit of knowledged and indulged himself in research.
Disposition - Extremely curios, analytical, ambitious, confident, calm, may come across as cold.

Accepted, though I just want to make sure you know 100% what you're getting into: you WILL not get any powers along with the others, and you WILL need to find/research it's powers IC to have any abilities in chapter 1.