Secrets and Forbidden Love

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine smiled and nodded, listening to Matt as he spoke. "Well, if you really need to talk I guess we can. Anything on your mind?" " 'Tis nothing more than loneliness, truly. But I do have one question, and I want you to answer truthfully." This had been weighing on her mind ever since it was mentioned before. She looked down at her feet, her hand tightening around his a little bit. 'Should I ask this of him? No, I must get this figured out now, before it is too late.' "If you will permit me to ask it, of course. I dare no intrude on your truth."
<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">

'Tis nothing more than loneliness, truly. But I do have one question, and I want you to answer truthfully.' He smiled, "What is your question?" 'If you will permit me to ask it, of course. I dare no intrude on your truth.' He couldn't help but smiling "If your sure you want the answer." He said pulling her a little closer "But I think I will need a kiss for all that honesty." He winked at her though she most likely couldn't see it. He was getting nervous though, with her saying that it must be honest, he was sure she was going to ask something that he really wouldn't want to share with her... at least not yet...

Josephine hesitated for another moment, trying to figure out if it was really worth it... no, she had to find out. "Earlier, when you said that you would return and ask my hand in marriage... did you truly mean that?" She glanced away after she had finished that, somewhat afraid of the answer. What if he said it had been only a thought in the light of that moment? And what if he did mean it? She didn't know how she felt. " 'Tis a foolish question, I know. But I wanted to find out if that is how you feel about me."

'Earlier, when you said that you would return and ask my hand in marriage... did you truly mean that?' He was relieved by the question, it was much better than 'Are you really the prince?' "I do plan on it... though I don't know if the next time would be such a good idea, maybe after a couple more visits but I think you're the princess." He said with a smile "Right when I know you are for sure the king will be over thrown. I have plenty of men that would gladly take on the king." He kissed her. "Then, if my suspicions are correct, you would be able to save this country.

"I do plan on it... though I don't know if the next time would be such a good idea, maybe after a couple more visits." This response both gladdened and worried Josephine; she didn't really know how to react, what she really wanted from this... "but I think you're the princess." Her face paled, though probably unnoticed thanks to the darkness. "Right when I know you are for sure the king will be over thrown. I have plenty of men that would gladly take on the king. Then, if my suspicions are correct, you would be able to save this country." She went to speak, but was cut off when Matt kissed her. Her lips moved against his and when he pulled back, she looked him in the eyes, obviously a bit frightened. "I can't be the princess... It's not possible, Matt. I mean it is possible, but... what are the chances of..." Her words came in hurried mumbles. "I can't rule a kingdom; the king may rule with cruelty... but I would... I would have it crumble, because I don't know how to be queen, even if I was the princess." She seemed about to cry, so many things running through her mind at that moment. Too many voices, too many thoughts, too many choices to make. You're the princess. You would be able to save this country. No, I'm not...the king... he would want to kill you before the word got out that your the princess. I'm not the princess... hair the color of copper and eyes that are bluer than the sea. That's not me! Her hands went to her ears, pulling from Matt's grasp, soft sobbing sounds rising from her chest. Her entire body was shaking, and she curled up on the edge of the couch, terrified as a child trapped in a nightmare: except this one never seemed to end. "No... No..."

"It doesn't mater if you think you can rule the country, you will have advisers to help you. Being the princess would be wonderful." He got closer and wrapped his arms around her "I will be right there to help." He kissed her cheek "I promises." He waited a little with his arms around her for her to calm down a little "Plus, your parents are protecting the princess, though it might not be you." He rubbed her arm a little "We shouldn't think about it now. I was just getting excited." After a while of holding her in his arms he let her go and said "You should get some rest now." He kissed her cheek and laid down. "Your brother could come down just to check on me, or go check on you. That might not work very well."

Josephine was still trembling, shaken and confused. But when Matt's arms wrapped around her, she calmed little by little. His touch was soothing, and it was comforting to know someone was there for her, to support her. If she had remained in her room, alone in the darkness when all these thoughts struck, she wouldn't have had this support. "I'm sorry, I was overreacting... I am just afraid that I won't be the strong and merciful queen this country deserves. These suffering people have earned a just and knowledgeable queen; not a supposed princess who knows nothing of the duties of a queen. That is what I fear." "We shouldn't think about it now. I was just getting excited." Josephine nodded, laying her head against his shoudler and closing her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to fall asleep in the protecting embrace of his arms, but knew better. "You should get some rest now. Your brother could come down just to check on me, or go check on you. That might not work very well." She hesitated, but knew it was for the best as she got to her feet. "Sleep well, my prince. Or at least you're a prince to me." She smiled and kissed his lips for a moment, savoring this moment before she had to go back to her lonely prison of a room; she had seen too much of it, lived too long in it for her to feel safe any longer. It was a cage more than a bedroom, a place she was kept in 'for her own good'. "If you were the prince, it would make no difference to me; because you have proven to be sweet and kind and apart from the king."
<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">

He tensed when she called him prince, though she couldn't see it but relaxed when she said he was a prince to her. Then she went on to say even if he was the prince and he had the feeling she suspected him of being the prince. Even though she said she wouldn't care he wasn't going to come out and say he was the prince unless she asked. "I will sleep my best knowing I am your personal prince." He had a playful tone to his voice and a smile on his lips "I must bid you a well nights rest as well." When she had left he yawned and went to sleep, he didn't have a long travel tomorrow and he might just walk to his friends house and spend a couple nights there. Then when the word gets out that the prince was missing he would come back and say their had been a terrible mistake and he needed to be hidden, maybe complementing them on how well they hid the princess and how he hoped they could do the same for him. It was a long shot but they might end up hiding him with the princess, which he assumed was Josephine, if not then he would only spend a couple of nights in hiding before making up an excuse to leave. After a while he would be able to disguise himself and come back with no fear of being considered the prince. He was going to far lengths just to be with Josephine but this was forbidden love... on both side...

Josephine smiled and snuck up the stairs with a final "Good night". Matt being the prince was as crazy as her being the princess... but both were very possible. Mathias... Matt... they were very alike. Even if he did turn out to be the enemy, in her family's eyes anyways, she wouldn't let that keep her away. Even if it was for her own good this time, nothing would keep them apart if she could help it. She was soon in her room and asleep, put at ease by her friend's comforting words. 'If this be not love, I know not what love is."

He listened as she walked up the stairs and sighed before closing his eyes once again. He had already packed everything he was taking with him and had a thank you note written out for them. He planned on leaving just before sunrise so they wouldn't be up. A blacksmith didn't have to be smelting until maybe an hour or so after the sun showed in the early morning. He wouldn't have much time. They might be early risers.

When he woke up he put the letter on the table and slung his messenger back over his shoulder after making sure he had everything, including his dagger which he would leave on the side of the road to be found by the kings guards patrol. That would give the hint that he was missing. He walked to the door after glancing up the stairs. It looked like they were still sleeping so he slowly opened the door, cringing as it creaked, he didn't want to wake them.

The family slept peacefully through the night, and remained asleep when Matt began to prepare to leave. However, when he was about to leave, the creak of the door masked the creak on the staircase. "Matt?" It was Josephine's voice, having wanted to bid him good day before he left. She hadn't slept too long, and had laid in bed for about an hour waiting for signs that he was leaving. She appeared on the stairs after a moment, looking over at him. "Be safe, please. People may become suspicious about you leaving early, so perhaps you should sneak out through the back." When she reached the bottom, she scurried to him and kissed him on the cheek. "I didn't want you to leave without me saying a goodbye. Shall you be around, or are you hiding somewhere else before you head back here?"

"I... will be coming back in a few day." He said kissing her quickly. "Goodbye." He stepped out and closed the door softly before running to riverside. He needed to get to the road before the patrol then make sure not to be scene. As he ran he noticed farmers giving him confused looks, most of them were probably thinking 'Why isn't he on a horse?" He had no time to stop and talk, hiding his face a little by his cloak so they might not be able to tell. Soon enough he found himself at the road and let his dagger fall to the ground, it was bloodies and he used his own blood for that, though he only pricked his finger and smeared the blood over the blade, it would hopefully be enough for the mages to confirm he was attacked. He only glanced back slightly before continuing his run and noticed a peasant was looking at him... maybe his plan wasn't going to work after all...

After almost ten hours of running he made it to his friends house out of breath. He knocked on the door to find his friend there "No time to explain let me in." He did and they got comfortable on the couch before he spoke. "I found the former princess." 'So how do you plan on killing her?' "Killing her? Why would I do that? Never mind. I'm not hunting her like my father. I would rather her take the kingdom than I." 'What would happen to you though? You might not even be considered noble.' "I will be fine. I need to get her to be queen. So far I have met with her guardians, and they may send some request for supplies up to you. Give them what they need and I will repay you. I made it look like the prince was assassinated so my disappearance won't turn into a frantic kidnap search with reward money and what not." 'Two things, how do you plan on paying me back for the supplies if you are considered dead and why are you trying to make it look like your dead?' He sighed "Listen, if I'm dead they won't be looking for me. This way I can plan on getting my tyrant of a father off the thrown. Anyways I left my dagger bloodied on the side of the road that the kings guards will patrol. It had my blood on it and the mages will think I have been killed. Although a peasant saw me as I dropped it but by the time I noticed it was too late." 'Ok but why are you here?' To lay low until I can meet the Guardians again."

Little did Mathias know, the peasant had already turned in the information and the entire town knew an imposter of Mathias was running around. For his head they will give whoever kills him large sums of money. His plan was working perfectly... with the small twist, instead of his mistake blowing his entire plan it did the opposite... it blew it up.

Josephine smiled and wondered what Matt was up to. He seemed to be planning something... why else would he not be returning for a few days. Perhaps he meant it would be a few days before he returned to the house. After he left, she went back to her room to try and sleep again. But as the sun rose, so did the news. The prince was missing and a fake prince was hiding around. There was no sign of the real Mathias. Josephine didn't hear about this until she awoke again, overhearing her family speaking downstairs. "They say they found the prince's dagger. They suspect this false prince has killed the real one, or kidnapped him." "Matt wouldn't do such a thing though. Surely there is some other explanation for this, Alyx." "No, our guest had the prince's blade. The blade that is being used as proof for the crime he has committed." 'Matt, a prince imposter? Now a wanted criminal? No, impossible. That cannot be true.'

Mathias's friend let him sleep while he had some servants make dinner and he entertained himself with the taxes. Unlike most other nobles he tried to tax his peasants very little and worked on the side to get extra spending money. He did just enough to pay the king his tax and pay for some servants, and the money he made paid for the rest of his servants and for maintaining the castle as well as eating. His peasants had pretty good livings considering the time. When Mathias awoke he found his friend who simply handed him the news letter saying an imposter killed or kidnapped the prince. This was bad, would the Williams even let him come back or hide him? He would have to come up with a good story before he headed back to see Josephine again... perhaps he would tell them the truth.

<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">Josephine tried to sneak out, thinking that maybe Matt would return to the river. Maybe he would explain all of this. Or perhaps the imposter had attacked Matt with the dagger he had gotten and gravely hurt him... even killed him. The thought was too terrible to bear. When she attempted an escape, though, Alyxander cuaght her red handed and had her stuck in her room except for mealtimes. "This is no time for you to be sneaking around. If this imposter finds out you are the princess, you'd be-" He was cut off by the look on Josephine's face. She was in shock, as he had just confirmed that she was the princess. "But I cannot be the princess. It would be impossible to keep a runaway heir hidden from the king when she is right beneath his nose the entire time." "True enough, but we have. The enemy never looks where it is expected to find their prize." Josephine shook her head, and he sighed. "Please, Josephine, listen for once. Just listen." He took her hand and snuck a kiss to her palm. "Neither of us are really children of the Williams, though only you are of royal blood. I have been protecting you alongside our protectors ever since you were rescued as a child. I only want what is best for you, and if you keep putting yourself in harms way the crown will never be passed to its rightful owner."

Mathias was frustrated now, the entire kingdom was looking for a man that 'looks' like the prince and the only man that looked like the prince was him... this was going to be a challenge. His friend had the meal served and flat out told him 'Listen, I will arm you with a sword but you must flee the county. I will give your friends financial aid and help them get the princess back in power. When that happens I will send word to you and you can come home. But be warned, it will be a big diffrence. Your no longer even of royal blood to the eyes of everyone else.' "No, I would rather die than flee the country. In a few days I will journy back to the princess and her guardians and that will decide my fate." With that Mathias took some food and left to the guest room. This is where he spent the next few days until the morning he would return.

Hours went by, though they felt like days. Things calmed a little after the first day, but the rumors and 'imposter hunt' continued. Josephine managed to sneak out to the river, and even stay out for a few hours. But all in vain, for Matt never came. This entire time, she worried dearly that he had been hurt, or dead, or kidnapped, something! Anything that would prevent him from meeting with her. Something that would keep him from her for a while, even forever. The thought itself was torture just to imagine. She returned to her home and began to fall into a state of sorrow and devastation. Everyone seemed to want her to be something she was not... she still didn't believe she was the princess, but her family was convinced of it. How could she tell them she had no desire of being the princess? That she didn't want to take the throne? And without Matt to confide in, all of her emotions were just building within her over the course of the next few days to the point that she barely left her room at all. Not to speak with her family, not to sneak out in hopes of seeing her friend again, nothing. What was the use?

The day Mathias said he would return had come, he grabbed the sword his friend gave to him and put his cloak on. The hood was up to block his face and he began to walk down the road. Most of the peasants only gave him passing glances, they all knew the rumors were fake... well at least here where they respected their noble more than the king. The sun was just starting to rise again and he could already feel the heat while he walked past acres of farm land over the dry dirt road that created bits of dust everywhere. A man noticed him, clearly a scribe to a knight, and he drew his sword and told Mathias to stop. He did and let the young man walk over to him. 'Take off your hood.' The young man was clearly suspicious of him "I don't have time, I must be getting on with my travels." Just as he took a step the scribe drew his sword and Mathias drew his. They battle for a few minute before he knocked the man out, no use in killing a scribe, he is much too young to be slain. All scribes were no older than 15 years old, this one might have been 13-14. He wasn't going to take a life that young.

Mathias put his hood back up and continued to walk not wanting to face the scribes master, mentor, and guardian. A full fledged Knight would be difficult to handle and might even be able to better him, even the scribe got a good cut onto his face and arm. He had to face off with some individual peasants and hide from the guard patrol before making it to the house. It was now mid day.

Alyxander had been staying home from work, worried for Josephine; the poor girl seemed to be depressed, and no one had no clue why. Perhaps it was from the stress of finding out her true identity so suddenly. Maybe it was her way to cope, to think things over, to prepare. Due to that thought, they left her alone for the most part. Only Alyxander checked up on her, every so often. Josephine wouldn't say much, but Alyx tried to comfort her, to try to return her to her usual spirit. Even daring to ask what was wrong, though he never got a true response. He sighed, having failed yet another attempt at helping the young princess, and returned downstairs just as there was a knock at the back door. Being home alone with only the depressed princess, he was left to answer. "Can I help-" He began as he opened the door. From beneath the shadows of the hood, he instantly recognize the young man. "You! You have the nerve to return after what you have done?!" He looked about to run out around the house, dragging the boy behind him and leaving his fate to the peasants.

"Calm down." He said expecting this kind of response. "It wasn't me who killed the prince. It was the kings conspiracy plan to get rid of his son. I found out about it and tried to help but with only a dagger and four knights I couldn't really do anything." He said his hand still on his sword, "Would you like the hear the truth about me? I will tell you if you let me inside. You can even take my sword if you wish." He had a feeling he would catch Alyxander by surprise with the story he just told. He had everything planned out, just like last time. He just hoped the young man would let him in, clearly the father would not be home and after his little show with the dagger and the plates they might feel he was a threat. It was all luck but a little fear of his skill wasn't going to hurt him...

Status
Not open for further replies.