Secrets and Forbidden Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family all took well to the joking, some more than others. Josephine stifled a giggle, Sir William chuckled quietly. The only one who didn't make any noise was Alyxander. "Burning food is not a laughing matter." He mumbled under his breath. Josephine glanced over and rolled her eyes. "Come now, stop your muttering. Lighten up some, 'tis a jest. You're must too stiff. Besides, we can't let the guest cook the food by himself. Are you agreeable with that, at least?" Her sibling made no response, but he at least relaxed a little. Her teasing was more apt to lighten him than anyone else's, some ways more than Sir Williams' at some times. Madame Williams watched the two siblings with a warm smile. "Those two are as close as close can be. 'Tis no wonder he is so protective." Her comment was mostly to herself, but partially in Matt's direction. Her gaze turned and she sighed. "Come dearie, you can help with the soup if you wish. That at least is difficult to burn."

"I don't know. After all these years I think I may be good enough to even burn water." He said in reply to Madame Williams but followed her anyways. Soup should be simple enough to make, just as long as she didn't come up with something crazy. When they stopped he smiled, "So what can I get for the soup? What kind are we making?"

Madame Williams gave a small laugh; it was new to have someone different around the house. Matt's company was a welcome change for the family. "I'm sure you shall be fine. 'Tis not that hard." "So what can I get for the soup? What kind are we making?" "We typically have vegetable soup. If you could get the ingredients from the pantry, sir. Tomatoes, carrots, potatoes... probably some other things, but really it depends on what we have around to use."

"Alright." He said going to the pantry to find various vegetables. He brought a little bit of this and a little bit of that, "You could try your hand at growing some of these, it would make them a great deal fresher. Maybe that's what I can do. Hide out back and grow some food." He suggested bringing back a basket full of whatever he fancied. "I hope this works for the soup."

"You could try your hand at growing some of these, it would make them a great deal fresher. Maybe that's what I can do. Hide out back and grow some food." Madame Williams glanced over at the suggestion, thinking it over. "That would be a grand help. As long as you don't mind the work. We would be glad to aid you in tending to the plants." As he put the basket down and spoke, she smiled. "It shall be fine. Now then, the knives are in that far drawer over there. Just slice these up and put them in the pot to boil, and we shall have soup in no longer than an hour." She stepped aside to let Matt continue on his own and walked over towards Josephine. "Would you mind baking some bread? Your father and I managed to find the ingredients to make some ourselves; they are in the pantry." Josephine nodded and set to her task.

'It shall be fine. Now then, the knives are in that far drawer over there. Just slice these up and put them in the pot to boil, and we shall have soup in no longer than an hour.' He walked over to the drawer and found the knifes. All their silverware was nice and working as a blacksmith led him to beliwve they must have crafted it themselves, buying such fine works would be expensive. He walked back and started chopping. He was fairly good at this having played with blades plenty of times in his life and could chop evenly and rhythmically. Slowly he would add ingredients to the boiling water.

Josephine set to making the bread dough, mixing together the flour and water and other ingredients. Every so often she glanced over in Matt's direction, careful not to be caught by anyone else. He was skilled with a knife; his movements so precise and fluid. Each slice was effortless. She redirected her attention to her own task. However, her gaze kept wandering back to him, then away again. The scent of the soup began to rise into the air by the time she had put the bread into the oven to bake, and she couldn't help but sigh. "For someone who cannot cook, your soup smells delicious." She murmured as she passed by him to gather silverware for supper. She purposely passed by close enough that their arms rubbed against each other, but was very careful to make that as discrete as possible when it came to the rest of her family. They still thought she and Matt didn't know each other before now, and would not have any bond between them. Any wrong move may give them away; but only if she wasn't careful.

"Well, your mother gave me instruction and its not like I'm cooking anything burnable. At least I don't think this is burnable." He thought for a second, "I'm not sure. My friend normally makes meals. He works dinner for the king so its always top notch." He said with a smile as he turned back to cooking. She brushed him and he looked in her direction but that was it, she didn't say anyone. Only sort of smiled and then continued to walk. He just sighed and dropped the last bit of carrots into the soup. "So, is this it? Just leave it to boil... do I stir it?"

(Responses will probably be very slow, stuck on my iPod all summer)

Josephine laughed lightly at his comments. He acted so clueless sometimes. "You stir the soup every few minutes, to keep the soup from sticking to the pot. Other than that, you are done." She leaned against the counter, waiting for the bread to bake. Her mind was not on the food though. 'Tomorrow we can talk, without hiding or acting like strangers. We can go back to being friends again.'

"Right." He said with a smile as he started to stir it. It was nice to actually cook for himself for once, you know, be in the process... not that he was good at it. He looked over at Josephine with a quick lazy glance then sighed and looked back at the soup he was cooking. "How long does it cook for?"

"Not much longer now." Josephine answered, peeking into the oven before closing it again. "You may take it off the flame anytime now. It should be finished." Not long after Matt had finished the soup, the bread was done and the family gathered around the table to eat. Each got their plate and said a few words before they began eating.

He smiled and took it off the flame though he continued to mix it slowly as he waited for the rest to be finished. His wait wasn't long however and he soon found himself at the dinner table saying a couple of words before they started eating. What he said was nothing special, infact it was one of the first times he had ever said anything before eating because some scribe would come out and say it for him. All he did was copy the general 'theme' and the others seemed to be fine with it. "I hope the soup is ok, Josephine kept correcting me the entire time." He said with a slight chuckle. "When this all clears up and I can saftly return home atleast I will be able to eat something thats not burned."

The family ate in quiet for the most part, until Matt spoke. There wasn't much to say before then. His comments were met by a few soft chuckles and compliments. "The soup is delicious. I couldn't have made it better myself." Alyxander made a snide comment on how it could have been cooked a little bit less, but was chided into admitting that he couldn't cook any better. After the conversation died down, they all returned to their wordless eating. Once everyone had finished their food, the house quieted to nighttime, and they prepared to sleep. Matt was offered the couch for the night, with apologies that there was no better comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.