Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spectre

Original poster
Interest Check | OOC | IC

OOC

cb30049dd5d9c8c85fd680bdc8288855.jpg

Your eyes slowly open. The ground your head lie upon is thick with tall grass and white flowers. You feel a breeze, it is neither cool, nor warm, and you see the grass blow about like ripples in the sea. You then hear something strange- distant- light… Something… like wind chimes?

Your body feels heavy. Much heavier than you remember. You push yourself away from the ground and realize you were beneath a large tree with beautiful, almost shining leaves. As you look, the tree gives off something of a glow… Or is it just reflecting the sun above? You blink your eyes, but everything still seems to look slightly blurry. Immediately all around you is healthy green grass, and further out is spotted with shining white flowers, and what looks to be many puffy white dandelion spore heads. However just outside of the immediate area, you can sort of discern sharp hills, and maybe a path or two- but it is shrouded in a thick silvery fog.

You hear a voice, younger- but both masculine and feminine- almost as if two people were talking at once. It spoke quickly- as if excited.
"Thou hast awoken…"
It was as if it were nearby, but you can't discern from what direction it came. But- you must be dreaming?

It sends a wash of panic and anxiety over you. Clearly, you are not where you once were, and you have no idea why you are here, or how you got here. What is this? You must go back whence you came! You shouldn't be here! But, oh… where was it you were from? Surely… surely you can remember… where was it?

Setting up a Discord for live OOC chat if anyone's interested.

Discord

Sign up with your discord account and change your nickname, or just use your Iwaku screen name. It will make things easier on myself, and everyone else.

Hi everyone! This is a roleplay that has been designed with dark fantasy elements (i'm a huge dark souls universe fan. so there will be similar elements from that). The characters you create will have basic stats, but you will not need to do any calculations amidst play. Those are for me, the GM.

Each player post will be short-ish, likely faster 'paced', and those will be followed by a GM post that will describe the outcomes of the actions the player takes.

It's going to feel a little more table-top-y, if that makes sense… because that's kind of how i'm designing it.

This is going to be a dark fantasy world, with lots of exploration, horror, and some action, as well. Undead, demonic forces, forces of nature and chaos, as well as plenty of other shady characters await you as you try to figure out what is going on and how to get out and return home. You character will be in an unfamiliar world, and will have little memory of their identities. Your character can basically be whatever you want it to be. Generally low or dark fantasy creature races are okay- as long as they don't have some ridiculous magic ability or something. Please ask me if you are unsure or curious. I will be using character stats- but don't get too caught up in that. You'll only have a handful of stats to pull from, and a certain number to divide between them. This will allow balance. This also isn't a 100% direct representation of all abilities your character can do, it'll just help me.

I will put in place a magic system. There will be a handful of categories that you can basically do what you will with them- except assume(auto) a damage effect, or make yourself impervious or all-powerful (ie: no spell that straight causes death, revives yourself, makes you impervious, or allows mid-long range teleportation, or long term invisibility). Projectiles, cone/spray effect spells, wide area effect spells, supplemental spells, and healing spells are the general categories. I have plenty of examples of these, so if you just want me to tell you some things i've come up with let me know.

As always if you have questions- and i assume there will be plenty- please ask!

I prefer a post per day- not from EVERYONE, but hopefully someone will be posting each day as you wait for your 'turn'. I'm a flexible dude, though, so let me know if that doesn't seem reasonable. I'm also generally not a weekend poster- as a warning... but... I'm setting up a shorter schedule because it's hard to remain in the moment when weeks go by without revisiting the universe.

Required writing level will be shorter LEGIBLE, GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT, and LITERATE. So think Intermediate writing skill - but shorter post length.

Pacing will be quick, and posts will be shorter- as some interactions will need to be GM vetted. Basically you will be exploring a totally fresh environment, Traps will be present, and things you pick up, or interact with may not always be as they seem...

Character Sheet
Name: [the name your character goes by]
Species: [your choice]
Physical Description: [provide a brief description of your character. If you want to use an image, hyperlink the url, or put it in spoiler tags please.]

Basic Statistics- This doesn't encompass everything that your character can do, this just helps me decide certain outcomes in heavier situations. Also what your character handles and holds on to. It's basically a very vague outline of your character's abilities.

divide 18 points between the below. Each stat starts at 1. To buy another point, it costs that number's amount of points to raise. Example- raising a 1 to a 2 costs 2 points. Then if you want to raise it again, it costs 3 points. So to effectively get 3 points, it costs 5. Make sense? The only one that doesn't work the same is endurance- explained below.
  • Strength: 1 [how much physical power your character has. Also what kind of weapons you can wield well]
  • Agility: 1 [how quick and agile your character is. Also what kind of weapons you can wield well]
  • Faith: 1 [how devout your character is, how much hope they have. This makes them good with Miracles, generally healing- and the magic of the 'gods']
  • Intelligence: 1 [how learned your character is. Their mental acuity, ability to reason and solve problems, as well as their ability to understand sorceries and general magic]
  • Endurance: 10 [How hearty and how much stamina your character has. Also really plays to what kind of armor you can wear well, and how many things you can carry with you. You will not be able to wear plate based armor at a 10, and be able to run, and move quickly, for instance.]
    • (starts at 10. All points are worth 1, so you can raise or lower this for 1 point each. To give yourself 2 more points in your pool, for example, subtract 2 to make this 8. Conversely- to bounce the 10 to a 12, it will only cost 2 points.)

Brief Background: Give a bit of backstory. You don't need to be familiar with the game's world. Your character ends up here without their knowledge. Your character can be from wherever- as long as the genre is some form of fantasy, and the technology is not past, say, earth's renaissance era. If they can transform- it can not change their numerical statistics [basically allowing you two characters].This needs to be Brief [2-3 paragraphs?]. Summarize. None of your characters will be able to fully recall anything to begin with anyhow. I don't care if THEY don't know who they were, this is for us/me, so give me something to work with ;P

Equipment: be as descriptive as you like. Just no magical weapons or armor [...yet :P]
Armor- What kind of armor you're wearing- if any. Plate armor requires at least 12 end, as an example, to be able to move quickly. Feel free to provide images [hyperlinked or in spoilers pls] if you so wish.
  • Weapons- what sort of weapons you have on your person, if any. [1 or 2 max. Shields are considered weapons. Catalysts are considered weapons, but cannot be swords, bows, maces, etc.]
  • Clothing/Armor- What sort of clothing and or armor your character happens to be wearing.
  • Items- [1 or 2 max] If your character carries anything with them. Glass phials, a torch, a locket, that kinda thing.
  • Spells Known- [1-2 max. A catalyst is required to cast magic. IE: wand, scepter, Holy Relic, stave, etc. Jewelry or tattoos are not permissible catalysts.]. These can be invented by yourselves, or i can give ideas. There are several types: Self, Ranged missile, ranged spray, touch, and area of effect. If you decide to have any at all, i'll likely be commenting on these upon your profile submission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Maimu Manstein
Species: Human
Physical Description: Amongst the other soldiers her stature may have lacked, but her physique did not fall behind. Standing below the average height of a woman her lithe frame is supported by surprising muscle. Dusty blonde neck length hair flows straight down her head, avoiding her face from long periods of time of being held back by a mask. While often covered, her face is plain, narrow, and chiseled, thin brows layover honey yellow eyes.

Basic Statistics:
Strength - 3
Agility - 3
Faith - 1
Intelligence - 3
Endurance - 13

Brief Background: As was tradition in her homeland, the oldest born child was sent to join the military as soon as they turned the ripe old age of sixteen. She was short, unprepared, sickly, and most of all, scared; but to her surprise the army was not cruel and crushing. The battlefield was terrifying yes, but everyone was scared, and together they could be brave.

The hordes of constructs never did stop, there could be breaks, in her fifteens years of service the longest dry spells was six months. Then once again to the routine of slaying gargoyles, homunculi, golems, whatever the bastards on the other side could make. She was trained to fight with magic and alongside others, as constructs were not easily wounded by even the sharpest blades.

Equipment:
Weapons: Short steel rod, Catalyst, basic and inornate, made to serve its function.

Clothing/Armor: A sturdy military garb from her forgotten homeland, includes a short red jacket with black shoulders; a black undershirt that covers the neck; a black skirt that is longer in the front with tassels hanging from the back; red leggings showing beneath the split sides of the skirt; and black above the knee boots.
The most distinguishing part of the uniform is her metal mask that adorns the front of her head, allowing hair to flow behind it. The forehead of the mask has a dull yellow gemstone planted in it, aside from a narrow slot for vision the mask lacks additional features.

Items: In a small pouch hanging around her hip is a collection of basic herbs for treating wounds.

Spells Known: Bound Weapon, a thick form of pale red glowing energy manifests itself around her catalyst, taking the form of a A bardiche with a large blade. The weapon is magical in nature and shines a dim light, but aside from this functions identically to any other weapon.
Binding Chains, magical chains glowing with a pale red energy shoot from the ground around her target. The chains wrap around the target and hold them in place for as long as she maintains concentration, if the target is strong enough her binding can be broken

Last edited:
@MaxwellH Thank you for posting so soon :). Looks good.

I will mostly just be doing maintenance and administrative posting over the weekend, but if there's any questions or anything, please let me know!

The Dawn of Petir

Name: Alba de Petir
Species: Human

Physical Description
Often described as an intimidating man by his peers, Alba's very presence is one of gloom and doom. Long hair that reaches well past his shoulders, and the quills of a beard that's either been unattended to far too long, or for no more than a week's worth of tending. Broadened shoulders and massive hands to match. Looming a head and some hands well-over most other men of modest and average stature he seems more or less carved from the mighty oak itself.

With a sparkling dazzle to his eyes, and a squared jaw he is the epitome of masculinity above the shoulders. Beneath the broadened horizon tends to lay a body of pure sculpture. Hellenistic in its values and arts, he is Herculean, Olympian in craft and carve. Scars may dance across the sun-kissed flesh, but no length of blade or head of an arrow has stolen from the bulk of the man that shape of pure musculation. Masculinity, an art of its own.

vqIv3tq.png

Basic Statistics
  • Strength: 4
  • Agility: 2
  • Faith: 1
  • Intelligence: 1
  • Endurance: 12

Brief Background
Remnants of his personality lend itself to a life full of capable combat feats that warranted boasting - however the truth of the matter is that Alba, as he is was at one point a gladiatorial slave who was left to The Blood Pits of a distant world to fend for himself against opposition. There's not much more to him than that. Illiterate and sculpted to battle. Simple wisdom guides the older man this way and that; his long hair a tell-tale mark of an enslaved party.

Equipment
  • Armor: As per the requirements of all enslaved persons of the land from which Alba hails; gauntlets, leather pauldron-mantle (leather brace from shoulder to shoulder and some neck coverage), cloth slacks and leather boots. Over it all is a red shoulder-bound cloak.
  • Weapons: Longsword with an ornate handle and dulled blade suffering from minor nicks along the false edge, and a great crack through its true-edge.
  • Items: A single golden coin, and a glass bottle of some potion or another (green).
  • Spells Known: A man of the sword needs no spell.
[/HR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good @Pale Horse
My stats are confusing to build, but as a heads up you've used 20 points. can easily drop the 14 end to a 12, or drop the 2 agi to a 1? or drop the str to 4, agI to 3, and keep end to 14. your choice.

No worries! thanks for switching it up. Ill try to wait for another character sheet before getting the IC rolling.

NAME: Vulferam
RACE: Human

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
By his face alone, he is undoubtedly a man weathered by age and toil. What might have been a handsome face of youth has progressed with wrinkles creasing his brows and cheeks and bags under his eyes just as deep, yet it is assuredly the scars marring his mouth that attract the eye most prominently. The result of a beast's claw, it now curves the left corner of his lip upward in a crooked smile. Although his brown and gray hair lies in an unkempt mane, he appears to have kept up grooming his beard enough to leave it evened out. His body, its pale skin marred by various scars, has retained the muscular frame that has served him well over the years, save for the lower half of his right leg, or rather the lack of it. Amputated just below the knee, a basic prosthetic now resides there and seems to have been there quite some time since it appears not to affect his movements.

STATISTICS
  • Strength: 4 (9)
  • Agility: 4 (9)
  • Faith: 1
  • Intelligence: 2 (2)
  • Endurance: 8 (-2)
BACKGROUND
Long ago, in his dreams, they once called him a Hunter, a butcherer of beasts. His existence was once filled with everlasting nights that only gave way to dawn when the streets ran dark crimson with blood. Blood and eyes, beast and kin; it was only when he was given mercy that he finally escaped that nightmare. Despite being relieved of his duty, he found himself back in the hunt shortly after, lending what assistance he could to those who still dreamed. Destined to succumb to madness or death, he instead found himself awakening once again...

EQUIPMENT
Weapons
  • Crush Cannon: A trick weapon crafted by the workshop heretics, the Powder Kegs. A large, spiked club covered in fire paper and fitted with a miniature furnace. When transformed, it becomes a cannon capable of unleashing great blasts of flame. Viewed as unwieldy due to the strength required to utilize it, this weapon is a rare sight to see in action in the hunt.
  • Branding Iron: Appearing to be little more than a rod of burnt metal wrapped in dirty rags, this curious hunter's tool seems to have little function. The exposed end glows white with heat, providing light and igniting flames, making it the perfect catalyst to activate the Crush Cannon's transformation.
Clothing/Armor
  • Awakened Hunter Hat: A tricorne fashioned after a piece of hunter attire with some modifications. A fine piece of attire suitable for those experienced in facing the threat of beasts. Despite signs of use, it appears clean and undamaged, save for the scent of moonlight.
  • Awakened Hunter Garb: Clothing reminiscent to the hunter attire fashioned at the workshop, accompanied with a cloak to wipe away blood. A fine piece of attire suitable for those experienced in facing the threat of beasts. It appears more ornate than the standard attire, suggesting a hunter's value increases with age.
  • Awakened Hunter Gloves: A necessary article of hunter attire, regardless of affiliation. A fine piece of attire suitable for those experienced in facing the threat of beasts.The right hand appears to be a gauntlet, a preference born from experience.
  • Awakened Hunter Trousers: A necessary article of hunter attire, regardless of affiliation. A fine piece of attire suitable for those experienced in facing the threat of beasts. Allows one to stalk unannounced, by cover of night.
Items
  • Blood Vial: Special blood used in ministration; restores vitality. Once a patient has had their blood ministrated, a unique but common treatment in Yharnam, successive infusions recall the first, and are all the more invigorating for it. No surprise that most Yharnamites are heavy users of blood.
Spells Known
  • Ignite: Activates the Branding Iron.

The IC will be up mon or tues.

Thanks to all the submissions so far!

Name: Vodilic
Species: Gargoyle

Physical Description:
Judging by his skin, one could estimate him to be very young since it does hardly show any sign of age or foreign damage like scars or distortions, however the destinction between 'youth' and 'adult' isn't really applicable to a race which never experiences growing up. Overall one can describe him as the abscence of color: He has the complexion of very dark, almost black granite and extremely long hair being as white as fresh snow. His eyes are the only, but very striking exception to this because they're red as if permanently bloodshot. His legs look extremely strong, his arms not so much. It is a tribute to the obvious fact that growing a pair of large wings also demands for a lot of additional, independent power, both of which add a very considerable amount of weight to one's frame. Overall one can say that, while he has an enormous amount of muscle in total, they sit at the wrong places and/or are allocated to tasks a human is never faced with, so he doesn't 'feel' that strong. Having originally been 'designed' to be clearly visible even to the onlooker standing many stories below him, he isn't sparing with height and can be considered towering above the vast majority of humans.
thailog_by_victoriadaedra-d70yv39.jpg

Statistics:
  • Strength: 2
  • Agility: 2
  • Faith: 3
  • Intelligence: 3
  • Endurance: 14

Briefbackground:
The church has started to employ the aid of statues which hang from high walls and look more or less evil many centuries ago. While certainly being a clever way of making a massive drainage system for a large roof look good, they also serve a double purpose: One the one hand they remind the people standing outside that the world is infested with evil and that they should go to church. On the other hand they shall give those people already in there the comforting feeling of being protected from that evil. So far nothing new.

What those humans living in the world he originates from don't know however is that, if one of their large statues goes missing, it does not necessarily mean it has broken off and turned into a pile of debris resting on some protrusion that is waiting to fall onto their heads. A very rare phenonemon makes them come to life as beings of flesh and bone.

Given the nature of their 'birth', they are infested with magic and usually quite adept at it. Acoording to what the chiseler had in mind when unknowingly creating them, most of them are viciously looking creatures with body features that not always make sense. Strangely enough they often have some sort of unwitting connection to higher beings - as if they remembered their original purpose at places where divinity is meant to reach down to earth. However, again and just like the wall of the church they had been attached to, this is the borderline between good and evil. The 'miracles' that accompany them can sway back and forth between the two realms depending on the situation they're faced with.

Equipment:
  • Weapons:
    • Well... Obviously he has built-in claws at both hands and feet which can rend flesh quite better than your usual bare fist. However their effectivity rapidly decreases when armor comes into play.
    • Vodilic's catalyst is a very old and rusted thurible, complete with chains and everything.
  • Clothing/Armor:
    • For 'civilian' purposes, he has a set of ordinary linen clothing. Nothing fancy, just enough to keep the majority of his skin covered. Of course this excludes the wings.
    • If things get ugly and he can allow to deny himself the ability of flying (or couldn't do it anyway because he's inside a building or a forest or because of the weather) there's a piece of scale armor available to him. It's basically a cloak that reaches from his shoulders down to just above his feet and that has a portion at it's back cut out for the wings. It also has a hood attached to it for some protection to his head. The thing is so heavy that you - no pun intended given that he's a gargoyle - need bones, knees, heart and lungs built like a rock if you don't want to break down rather soon. Strangely enough it's not made out of metal, but of some sort of really strong, dark wood. However, being a creature like him living in the world he lived, you don't just run to the next blacksmith and throw some coins at him, but you've to be creative yourself.
  • Items: -
  • Spells:
    • [Ranged missile]: A weakly coherent ball of anti-magic that he hurls out of his mouth as if he was still draining water. The thing has absolutely no effect on anything that isn't based on magic except for causing a strange feeling of chill when close nearby, but can be harmful for the remainder and used in a defensive manner to protect oneself from spells. It moves slowly and is not guided, but invisible.

@CasketCase only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the tricorne hat (as this "era" is like medieval to renaissance eras.) lol I'm not going to complain about it since this is fantasy though so it really doesn't matter. character looks good. portable magic cannon/mace will be interesting!

@Fetzen : yay a non human! looks good to me. I will let you know that I will be hindering his flight capabilities in the course of the game a bit. I will allow the ability to glide, and some short distance stuff, but just being able to fly willy nilly is going to make his life a breeze.... and who really wants that? :P. I'll not injure him or anything. but maybe make it so his wings feel a little weaker somehow in this new world. Just hindering his ability for comtinuous flight. is that okay? i dont want to completely clip him, but put in some barriers for sure.

@Fetzen @MaxwellH @Pale Horse @CasketCase

THE IC IS UP

Interact with each other if you please ;P
When posting, you can feel free to take an action/interact, Speak, and move about if you wish. If you want to explore about, let me know what cardinal direction you're moving. N,S,E,or W- because At this point there's not really anything as a frame of reference to move toward [other than the tree].

If you want to inspect something closer, just post how your character intends to study an item, area, or your surroundings.

Again, i've never run a game in this format- so please, ask questions if you have them!

THE DISCORD LINK EXPIRED NOOO! In all seriousness though, I would like to get in on it.

Ah that's weird. I'll look into it. Ive never ran a discord server before. so I'm learning. lol

Try again @Pale Horse ! (think I figured it out)

Sorry about the delay. Quick question before I post: Just how much would our characters know about themselves?

excellent question!
They'd know basic information. Imagine every event-based memory you have from yesterday-on is gone- and if not- blurry at best, and missing lots of information.

You know what you are capable of, for the most part. You know your name. You know things about the equipment you carry. You know your age group [maybe not the exact age]. You get vague ideas of past events, but that's really it.

Your character would know that they have parents. They may remember negative or positive emotions about something that's happened, but not the event. They would remember they have friends, but can't see their faces or remember their names. They know they had a profession, and may have ideas of what they did- surmising that if they've got some innate knowledge about how steel is folded and forged- that maybe they were a blacksmith.

does that make sense at all?

Okay. So the basics with everything else obscure/nonexistent.

Writing up my post now.

Bah sorry I dropped the ball. i don't normally post over weekends but I'll try to get one up asap!!

Posting Monday, all. thanks for your patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.