Saving Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin gather his things and met Teddi at the door. The cafeteria wasn't far for most people. Just a couple of blocks really. Probably under a mile. But to him it felt a lot further. Still the weather was nice so he would walk with his roommate while he was able to do so. He opened the door for her. He had a long day ahead of him. He had classes and then library duty. He hoped to be able to get some study in. But he would have to see how tired he was when he got home. He waited for Teddi to leave their room before closing and locking the room.

Teddi walk down the stairs and went outside. It was a really nice day out considering the storm they had a couple days a go. She walked along the sidewalk for a while quietly. This would be the perfect moment to strike up a conversation with Griffin she just was worried about prying. They both had their demons from the past it seemed and she didn't want to hit a nerve and hurt him

Griffin wanted to talk to Teddi but he had no idea what to say. He had never a friend. He barely talked to the kids he had gone to school with growing up with. He had been afraid to say too much to them. He had had to be careful not to say anything that would put them in danger. While that wasn't the case anymore he didn't have the skills to start a conversation. Still he needed to try. "What do you think of your classes so far?"

"I was never really good at schooling so kinda tough...but it's all gonna be good in the end." Teddi admitted. She had always struggled academically which is why she hadn't gotten a scholarship for grades. The only reason she was at college was because what she wanted to be required a degree so she was here.
"I want to be a care taker for special needs kids and to do that I have to have at least a bachelors. " Teddi explained quietly.
"What about you?" She asked.

"I have always been good at school." Griffin answered. He hadn't gotten a scholarship for grades because his grades hadn't been as good as they could have been. Mostly because he had missed so many days. He had tried hard to get his grades up. But it had been hard. "Im here because college is my one chance to prove that I am more then people think. Plus to get a decent job I need a degree. I want to be an engineer. I've always been good with repairing cars. I figure maybe I can build them."

"That's cool. Shop classes were my favorite in high school and middle school. Wasn't amazing at it, but they were fun and at least taught useful stuff. " Teddi said quietly. Due to being moved around so much she's changed schools a lot and had found it hard to keep up with kids her age.
"How did you find this college?" She asked curiously. She'd found the college through a pamphlet at one of her last high schools. itd taken her forever to apply not only because her foster parents tried tonprrventbher, but because she afraid of being rejected.

"After I graduated high school I looked up colleges with engineering degrees and started applying. I took the first college that was willing to give me a scholarship." Griftinntold her. His grades had barely been high enough to qualify for any colleges so he hadn't held out much hope. He had simply wanted give himself as many chances as possible. Each rejection had hurt but he had finally gotten the acceptance letter he had been Hoping for. Now he just had to keep his head above water. That was going to be challeging but that to be expected. His life had always been a challenge.

Teddi nodded. They reached the cafeteria and Rylan pulled her student card out and went in. She grabbed herself a tray and after going through the line she sat down with pancakes and some fruit. She sat at her normal table and gave herself insulin before she started to eat. She checked her schedule again even though she knew she had a morning class. Teddi was always afraid of screwing up and missing class or failing and getting thrown out.

Griffin walked over to the cafeteria with Teddi. He pulled his student card when she did and followed her though the line. He helped himself to hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy with a large milk. He was glad to have some filling food to see him through the day. Then he followed her to the table. He watched her pull out her schedule. He didn't blame her for checking it. It was a good habit to get into. "Busy day?"

Teddi nodded,
"Yeah I have classes in the morning and the afternoon along janitorial work today." she said. Teddi ate her food pretty quickly and stood up. She went and got herself some hot chocolate and drank that slowly. She looked outside and around just thinking about what was going on. With less then a week here she felt so much happier than she had at all, though she still felt stressed and tired it was different. The stress wasn't from fear really, well not fear of being hurt. If she failed that would be her own fault...which reminded her she needed to study. Teddi started to look through some of her textbooks for todays classes.

Griffin nodded. "I am looking forward to the weekend. I need a break." It wouldn't be much of a break. He still had to do his hours. But atleast he wouldn't have classes. That was enough for him. His brain needed a break. He felt like his mind was full. He didn't mind though. He was willing to do whatever he needed to do to succeed. He was going to change his life one way or another. He pulled out his own schedule so that he could go over it. It wasn't that he was worried about forgetting anything he just needed to verify everything.

Teddi came in after a long day. She tossed her bag on the ground and sat down. She had actual homework tonight from her education class and from her basic maths class. She slumped in the chair and pulled her stuff out. It was after dinner and since she'd exercised for an hour between work and dinner she would be spending the rest of her day in here...doing homework. Some kids down the hall were going to a party, she'd heard them talking about it on her way up. College felt just like high school except less bullying, she was petty much ignored by everyone even if she attempted friendly-ness.

Griffin didn't mind people but he honestly had no idea how to interact with other people. He didn't mind being ignored. He actually preferred to be ignored. He was more comfortable with being ignored then being noticed. He had grown up in the shadows he wasn't sure that he was ready to come out yet. He made his way to the dorm room. He smiled when he saw Teddi hard at work. He silently sat down at his desk and went over his notes. He didn't have any real assignments yet.

Teddi glanced up when someone knocked on the door. She glanced back at Griffin to see if maybe he'd invited someone over.
"Hello, anyone in there? It's the RA." A voice called out through the door. It was a male voice though it wasn't super deep. Had a touch of an accent that sounded something like New York or New Jersey. Teddi frowned. She thought she recognized the voice, it rang a little bell in the back of her head. She got up and went to the door.
Why was the RA here? Teddi opened the door and looked the man standing there over. He was in his early twenties, probably started college at 19 or 20 Teddi guessed because she thought he looked around 23 or 24.
He had brown scruffy hair and green eyes. He was average height 6 foot at the most and had a strong yet lanky build. More of a runners body.
Teddi felt the urge to slam the door in his face after a light bulb of recognition slammed over her. She remembered him from when she was 7. He'd been about 12 or 13 and hadn't been a nice guy. His family was very screwed up though...maybe she couldn't blame him. Still the sight of him stirred some old memories she'd rather not be stirred.
"May I come in?" The RA asked. Teddi nodded silently stepping aside realizing she'd just been looking blankly at him.
"Hello I'm Sam Rutherford. I'm a senior here and your RA for the semester. I'm just making some quick introductions...sorry they're so late there are a lot of kids and situations I've had to deal with so far. " Sam said. He didn't sound excited or even happy about greeting them. He probably had to for his job and that was the only reason he was here.
Sam stated and waited for the two dorm mate to say something.

Griffin looked up at the sound of a male voice. Neither he or Teddi had ever gotten visitors before. They weren't exactly social people. He relaxed some when the RA introduced himself. He had been expecting a visit earlier. He studied the RA. Then turned his attention to his room mate. Something was wrong with her but she didn't know what it was. He stood up and moved closer to Teddi. "My name is Griffin and this is my roommate Teddi." He introduced them he didn't think Teddi was going to do it. What was it about the RA that had her shutting down? Did she know him? If she did what did that mean? It didn't look like a good thing. It could be a problem if Teddi didn't get along with their RA. He wasn't sure what he could do.

"Awesome. Nice to meet both of you I trust your stay has been good so far.
If you have any problems, questions or needs I'm room 23 at the end of the hall. ". Sam said he ran his hand through his messy hair and waited to see if the two students needed anything.
"I'll be going like I said I'm here to solve problems. " he finished he turned and shut the door behind him.

Teddi quietly made her way over to desk and sat down staring at her assignment blankly. She knew she needed to get this done, but now her mind was elsewhere and she couldn't bring it back to the present long enough to focus.

Griffin wasn't sure what to say or what to think. He wasn't sure what had happened. He went to Teddi's desk and awkwardly knelt down. That would hurt later. "Do you want to talk about it?"he asked her softly. He knew something was wrong. He wanted to help if he could. He wasn't sure how he could though. It depended on the problem. He might not be able to do anything but listen. It wasn't something he had done before but that didn't mean he wasn't willing to do it now.

Teddi looked at him and then rates her head on her hands. She stared at her desk.
"It's nothing...just really stupid." She muttered. She could feel her hands shaking slightly though she tried to ignore it. She realized that Griffin was still there a d leaned back in her chair staring at her hands clasped in her lap.
"I was in the foster system when I was little...stayed with Sam's family once. " she admited quietly. She didn't know why she was telling Griffin this. It really wasn't his business and she didn't want to burden him with her problems or memories.

"It isn't stupid if it is bothering you this much." Griffin told her. He wanted to comfort her. He patted her knee not knowing what else to do. "I don't know a lot about the foster system but I have heard some. I know some homes are better then others. I am guessing that Sam's home wasn't a good one. If you want to talk about it I will listen without judging. But if you don't want to talk about it I understand."

Teddi nodded slightly,
"Yeah...it sucked pretty bad." she stated softly. She ran her hands over her face. "They were into some creepy stuff, like they did heavy drugs and junk." she explained quietly, "The whole family was a violent mess and perverted. Sam was one of the worst for the kids. " she added. "I'm just surprised he's not in jail..." she added leaned back.

Status
Not open for further replies.